g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCFC

Supports
Bradford City
I think the hedge fund interest is based on clubs starting their own internet streaming service.

Imagine if 10% of the supposed 650 million world wide utd fans were willing to pay £5 per month to access all games, including women, academy, training sessions, premium exclusive content and that revenue went directly to the club that's £3.9B per year.

That would be why a hedge fund would be willing to take a minority stake.

C'est Moi Cantona

Are we sure the Glazers aren't chucking these big named hedge fund sharks a few million to be linked with us, and so create a false impression that they are a viable propostion, because I can't make it add up.

These are intelligent business people, and so if the Glazers were desperate and didn't have any other offers, then I guess they could be smelling blood, and be willing to give them some money, but with all everything stacked in their favour, but the Glazers aren't desperate, they have 2 very good bidders, which will mean any deal they do with Elliot, Ares, etc will be done in the main on the Glazers terms.

AlPistacho

I think the hedge fund interest is based on clubs starting their own internet streaming service.

Imagine if 10% of the supposed 650 million world wide utd fans were willing to pay £5 per month to access all games, including women, academy, training sessions, premium exclusive content and that revenue went directly to the club that's £3.9B per year.

Club can’t just stream their own matches.

clarkydaz

Great post. Thanks.

One question, surely any investor would need to take into account the likely backlash from the fan base. I could honestly see biblical protests should the parasites decide to stay.
these people are cold sharks situated other side of the world, immune to the sport and club. The thing is the Glazer model cant be redone here, we actually need building up again.

red thru&thru

"Carlyle Group, which has $376bn in assets under management, has also expressed an interest in investing in the club, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. If Carlyle is involved, a preferred equity deal would be likely, one of the people said."

This is significant - the FT is a gold standard source.
Carlyle has strong relationships with HBJ.

Dazzmondo

It would be interesting if SJR and SJ agreed not to bid above a certain amount and actually reduced their bids due to the Glazers pushing this to a 3rd round. This 3rd round seems to have run counter to Raine's advice, who are the actual experts here. There must be some reason why they advised against it. The Glazers have never shown any business acumen and are only benefitting off the decisions of their father, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they mismanaged this sale just as they have mismanaged our club.

BCFC

Supports
Bradford City
Club can’t just stream their own matches.
They can't at the moment, but they might be able to in the future.

I think this will eventually be the business model, with the amount of money involved why would clubs not want to do this?

Woziak

That’s exactly what I was saying but that could be a 3-4 year wait while the Glazers consider to run the club into the ground, Carlyle Group have very strong relationship with SJ and Qatar, which is interesting on its own, SJR has apparently bid about £5bn , most of us thought this was for 69% of the club but now we find out the Glaziers would get 69% of the £5bn or £3.45bn to divide amongst themselves and and owning the club he would keep the club listed on the stock market with no obligation to buy the remaining 31% of shares and on taking control would service the current £600m debt with an inter company loan guaranteed by Ineos, so theoretically the debt transfers to Ineos but we all know this is not true and would only benefit the club If something happened to the Ineos group in the same way that Abrahamovic was sanctioned and the debt owed to him was written off.
Never Going to happen!

Sheikh Jasim bid is apparently £5.2bn for 100% of the club where £3.588bn is paid to Six Glazer Siblings and then the £1.612bn is paid to the other shareholders within a very short period of time, on taking control of the club and now making it private, SJ would also pay off all the debt of £600m plus probably the £200m on credit card line because he would no longer need this facility. You can see why sportico reported SJ had bid £6bn because I’m sure that’s what they reported even when they were not allowed to talk about it.

Now if the glazers want £6bn for their 69% majority on its own meaning the true cost would be nearer £8bm before new stadium and squad investments they are indeed smoking sone very exotic mushrooms.

Even with all the smoke and mirrors from the Glazers snd their mouth piece, the Raine Group it’s pretty clear they are trying to get SJ and Qatar to pay as near to £6bn for the club as they can and then pay off the debt of another £600-800m on top of that, if this was to happen, then the family would walk away with £4.14bn or $5.15 bn and in Joel and Avram case probably an honorary lifetime Exec membership to the club and a sweet NFL deal in the Middle East.

laughtersassassin

"Carlyle Group, which has $376bn in assets under management, has also expressed an interest in investing in the club, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. If Carlyle is involved, a preferred equity deal would be likely, one of the people said."

This is significant - the FT is a gold standard source.
What's a preferred equity deal?

Also if we have to have a hedge fund it'd be a lot better if they did a joint bid or deal with Jim or Jassim because the Glazers need to feck off

Last edited:

Blood Mage

If Carlyle are worth £300b then it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, they'd surely take over the whole club eventually. We'd then go full Boehly in the transfer market but hopefully target the right players unlike Chelsea.

kidbob

I can just see it. These cnuts won't leave until they have truly run us into the ground. feck them so much but most of all feck the FA and the PL for letting this leveraged buyout absolutely destroy our finances. I don't want us owned by Qatar ideally but at this point I'd take anyone to get rid of those absolute worthless leeches.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not read up on the sale after I realised a while back that it was just becoming a farce and that the Glazers don't actually want to sell.

Thought I'd come and see what's going on and I realise it's still a farce. Third round of bidding? This is the most ridiculous sale process I've ever heard of, and the fact there still looking for bids tells you they're not happy with what they've been offered.

I honestly don't know how anyone hasn't just mentally checked out of this at this stage, because it's another crock of shite from the Glazers and that's been apparent for ages. They'll get investment that sees the interested family members retain control and it will be business as usual. How anyone can get excited at the prospect of a US hedge fund getting involved is beyond me. This is just a step that will prolong Glazers involvement for the next 2 decades at least.

owlo

AUM is indicative of nothing. It can and will rise and fall by 100B in a year.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Keep in mind that a very large chunk of the club's value - let's say $2 billion but perhaps more - lies in sports washing. That has value to INEOS and even more value to Qatar but no value at all to a US hedge fund. Which is why such a group will never really outbid the former. This leak is just a crude ploy to drag out the bid and squeeze a few more quid from Qatar.

SuperScoot

Although I dont think they would interfere within the sporting side of the business. I get the impression though, that they would make all decisions based on profitability, in that sense, I suspect it would be run as a business first and a football club second. Anything that keeps the Glazers in power is not a good move, as they have proven not to have a scooby, when it comes to running the club. Still think Ineos would be the way to go - full sale only is a must.

Intenhaagwetrust

If Carlyle are worth £300b then it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, they'd surely take over the whole club eventually. We'd then go full Boehly in the transfer market but hopefully target the right players unlike Chelsea.
The job if venture capital is the squeeze every, single, last, penny OUT of the "assit" for thier shareholders, this is doomsday shit

dpansheth

They cannot be worth 300B as they are a hedge fund, AUM vs Fund fees. Fund fees multiplied by some years or whatever is what they are worth.
This is just a stupid ploy by dumb Glazers kids to drum up the prices.

owlo

I agree with your conclusion but curious to know your thought process.
It's just a nothing figure without context ( and 'actual' AUM includes cash and liquid commodities which are rarely if ever disclosed.). I work for a prop fund/market maker, and our AUM can wildly vary in the short term. Whereas if you're a hedge fund or asset management firm and not jumping on 8%+ of the worlds ETF's every day, you might be quite stable, which again might be completely different from how the carlyle group works.

Needless to say, most of the time AUM isn't even your own money. You can't just decide to stick your hand in your pocket and use 10bn of it to buy Man Utd because your AUM will surely shrink on the back of such bad decision making. (Ok maybe a blackrock or vanguard could absorb it, but some 300bn fund probably can't.)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Keep in mind that a very large chunk of the club's value - let's say $2 billion but perhaps more - lies in sports washing. That has value to INEOS and even more value to Qatar but no value at all to a US hedge fund. Which is why such a group will never really outbid the former. This leak is just a crude ploy to drag out the bid and squeeze a few more quid from Qatar.
Is there some financial formula for calculating that? Or its just plucked out from thin air?

red thru&thru

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Well, with their close relationship, it does seem very bizarre how Carlyle would be going up against HBJ/Jassim's bid for United.

I'm sure there's some type of ploy for this leak/interest in the club. There could be a number of reason's.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not read up on the sale after I realised a while back that it was just becoming a farce and that the Glazers don't actually want to sell.

Thought I'd come and see what's going on and I realise it's still a farce. Third round of bidding? This is the most ridiculous sale process I've ever heard of, and the fact there still looking for bids tells you they're not happy with what they've been offered.

I honestly don't know how anyone hasn't just mentally checked out of this at this stage, because it's another crock of shite from the Glazers and that's been apparent for ages. They'll get investment that sees the interested family members retain control and it will be business as usual. How anyone can get excited at the prospect of a US hedge fund getting involved is beyond me. This is just a step that will prolong Glazers involvement for the next 2 decades at least.
They’re selling a multi-billion £ asset and still have 7 serious bidders at the table. Of course they’re going to take it to a third round of bids you numpty.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully one of the main 2 bidders can get it over the line. The Glazers and the interested Us funds can feck off

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Perhaps Jassim is buying the 69% and Carlyle the rest.
Surely that’s what these minority bids are for? Raine can then put bidders together to drive up the price. I still don’t understand how minority investment works for the Glazers when 4 of them want out and the money gained would need to be invested in the club. It makes zero sense from their POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.