Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
It will happen. It’s inevitable. It might not be right away, but it will. We will one day be involved in a transfer, or a re-development, or a something which requires us to spend more than we’d budgeted for, or should be able to spend, and the people that own us, who’ve never had to deal with not getting their way or encountered a problem they couldn’t solve with money, will find a way to get that money used for their gain….

Just like City did, despite it being perfectly possible to grow them more organically over time, just like Newcastle are already doing with their sponsors, despite already being a more “marketable” team than City were, and just like Qatar themselves did with the Neymar & Mbappe deals that broke the transfer market, or the World Cup bid that saw 7 FIFA officials arrested in the aftermath and a criminal investigation opened into the bidding process FFS!

it will happen. And all the same people will excuse it and defend it, precisely because being Man Utd will be the perfect cover for it, and a much more easily defendable reason for spending ludicrous sums. And even if it doesn’t, there will always be doubts as to whether it had. That’s tainting. It’s what tainting is. City haven’t been “convicted” of anything yet, but their success is tainted because everyone already believes they have.
So yes, it will happen.

You think it’s annoying having “moralists” in our own fanbase now? You’re gonna get bored of “defending” it. And of seeing everyone portray our non-state owned rivals as “proper” clubs and the moral victors whenever they beat us.

That’s the trade off. It’s absolutely fine to some, I’m sure. Many even. And being resigned to it is perfectly fine. But forgive me if I find the celebration and pre-emptive defence of it pretty gross, and entirely alien to how I engage with supporting this club, and my love of football in general.

And forgive me if I don’t in good faith think that a lot (not all) of people now pretending it’s all because of their newly found rabid hatred of the Glazers (no Glazer thread on this site has ever been as long or contentious as this!) wouldnt have been the same people dismissing or laughing at those who initially opposed them… because the snarky “I wonder whether those pesky moralists will still support the club or feck off!?” rhetoric sounds exactly like some past insults lobbied at United fans during a takeover… and it wasn’t by those against it.
This is why Mockney is the goat.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I already get bored defending Utd as is. Most fans of other clubs already see us as the evil club. Ownership won't change that. There is a reason ABU is a thing. Just look at the comments around glory hunters, Howard Webb, VAR decisions and Fergie time. It'll just be one more thing to attack us with.
The other stuff has zero substance. This will.

adam118

Best part of all of this is that I’m finally using the Stocks app on my iPhone after all these years!

Cloud7

Just when it seems like this may actually be approaching it’s end more stuff comes out that it may continue to drag along

joedirt87

How far can he go ? Unless he is willing to go for.a full buy out ?
Same thought. if they are going to go with Jassim it's either Ratcliffe throws a bigger offer for a full takeover, or he bends over and gives the Glazers all that cash and they keep control.

redcucumber

It will happen. It’s inevitable. It might not be right away, but it will. We will one day be involved in a transfer, or a re-development, or a something which requires us to spend more than we’d budgeted for, or should be able to spend, and the people that own us, who’ve never had to deal with not getting their way or encountered a problem they couldn’t solve with money, will find a way to get that money used for their gain….

Just like City did, despite it being perfectly possible to grow them more organically over time, just like Newcastle are already doing with their sponsors, despite already being a more “marketable” team than City were, and just like Qatar themselves did with the Neymar & Mbappe deals that broke the transfer market, or the World Cup bid that saw 7 FIFA officials arrested in the aftermath and a criminal investigation opened into the bidding process FFS!

it will happen. And all the same people will excuse it and defend it, precisely because being Man Utd will be the perfect cover for it, and a much more easily defendable reason for spending ludicrous sums. And even if it doesn’t, there will always be doubts as to whether it had. That’s tainting. It’s what tainting is. City haven’t been “convicted” of anything yet, but their success is tainted because everyone already believes they have.
So yes, it will happen.

You think it’s annoying having “moralists” in our own fanbase now? You’re gonna get bored of “defending” it. And of seeing everyone portray our non-state owned rivals as “proper” clubs and the moral victors whenever they beat us.

That’s the trade off. It’s absolutely fine to some, I’m sure. Many even. And being resigned to it is perfectly fine. But forgive me if I find the celebration and pre-emptive defence of it pretty gross, and entirely alien to how I engage with supporting this club, and my love of football in general.

And forgive me if I don’t in good faith think that a lot (not all) of people now pretending it’s all because of their newly found rabid hatred of the Glazers (no Glazer thread on this site has ever been as long or contentious as this!) wouldnt have been the same people dismissing or laughing at those who initially opposed them… because the snarky “I wonder whether those pesky moralists will still support the club or feck off!?” rhetoric sounds exactly like some past insults lobbied at United fans during a takeover… and it wasn’t by those against it.
Good post. I was naively clinging onto the idea that Jassim wasn't state backed. But yeh. We are about to become the flag bearer for what has essentially killed football. Weird feeling.

I suppose if you have the power of precognition and know that Qatar will cheat, despite now oil state ever having bought a club in the same stratosphere as United, making it totally unique, then it's understandable why you'd be against them, as for me I'll wait til they actually do something before saying that as I lack psychic powers
Ah come on. There's sticking your head in the sand and then there's this. This is their MO and has been for years. Telling yourself this time will be different despite every shred of evidence telling you otherwise, purely because it's United, is incredibly fanciful.

MTF

I've noticed the price has gone down a bit in recent minutes. Is it possible the extra vol is a result of algos picking up the Reuters story ?
As usual in markets, the reaction was a bit shoot first, ask questions later. So algos or even more trigger happy humans jumped in to buy at any price below $30, but once people read the story and saw that it isn't even exclusivity agreed, then things got a bit more tempered.

On a side note, trading on news reports/speculation of a regular business deal is already an exercise in frustration. I can't imagine people who are trading on a football acquisition, with all the added noise and reports that are 10,000x what a regular deal sees.

Zoo

We’ve moved past the exclusivity stage. The groundwork is done.

Chief123

Another AI generated pic of Father and Son. Technology is amazing!

Castia

Just when it seems like this may actually be approaching it’s end more stuff comes out that it may continue to drag along
It's not. The UK news have been given absolutely nothing and technically he's right we haven't entered exclusivity yet

But Reuters are the number 1 business source and they're saying its on the verge, they will know more than anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.