Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenoffpearson

Not following you here?

Class B shares represent roughly 68% of total shares. Class A make up the remaining 32%.

In the case of all class B shares equaling 11% of the total shares, you would need 100% of the class B shares to maintain 67% voting rights. It's basically a way to prevent a hostile takeover.
Sorry I may not be clear, as Matriac has clarified above, the Glazers when they sell off their class B shares, then in the absence of those shares being sold to a person with lineage etc to Malcolm, the share becomes class A shares.

This they (articles of association/memorandum) refer to a process of conversion ie from class B to class A , the buyer of the shares being a non Glazer entity.

Therefore in theory you could have any number of B class shares in the future , not necessarily the number that were created when the arrangement started at the time of the listing at the NYSE.

Then as long, say Joel (as the last holder of class B shares), owns 10% of the ordinary shares his class B share or shares give him 67% of the vote.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
"Father, I LOVE the whole tea-making thing! You know, the playful 'splash' of the tea as it hits the bottom of the cup; the thrill of adding the milk, and watching it settle for a moment, before it filters slowly down through the cup, changing the colour from dark brown to...a lighter brown. Perching an optional Jaffa cake on the saucer, like a proud soldier standing to attention beside a giant...cup of tea."
I love the whole non-state funded thing. You know, the playful "splash" of money actually generated by the club itself as it hits the transfer...chest, the thrill of not being associated with sportswashing...and perching an optional local lad on the saucer that is the match day squad, like a proud...

Nah, it doesn't really work, I know.

Still, I do feel like some of my mates are now like this:

They: Gwan, it's inevitable.

Me: Yeah, sure.

They: So, what's the problem? Gwan!

Me: The problem is that I've had enough of the whole thing.

They: Ah, gwan...

Me: No, I don't think I can.

They: Ah, gwan...gwaaaaan!

Fanta Stick

I love the whole non-state funded thing. You know, the playful "splash" of money actually generated by the club itself as it hits the transfer...chest, the thrill of not being associated with sportswashing...and perching an optional local lad on the saucer that is the match day squad, like a proud...

Nah, it doesn't really work, I know.

Still, I do feel like some of my mates are now like this:

They: Gwan, it's inevitable.

Me: Yeah, sure.

They: So, what's the problem? Gwan!

Me: The problem is that I've had enough of the whole thing.

They: Ah, gwan...

Me: No, I don't think I can.

They: Ah, gwan...gwaaaaan!
It is a saga but a saga that will have no heroic conclusion but rather a concluding meh.
So not really a saga at all if we're being definitionally anal.

Matriac

Sorry I may not be clear, as Matriac has clarified above, the Glazers when they sell off their class B shares, then in the absence of those shares being sold to a person with lineage etc to Malcolm, the shares becomes class A shares.

This they (articles of association/memorandum) refer to a process of conversion ie from class B to class A , the buyer of the shares being a non Glazer entity.

Therefore in theory you could have any number of B class shares in the future , not necessarily the number that were created when the arrangment started at the time of the listing at the NYSE.

Then as long, say Joel (as the last holder of class B shares), owns 10% of the ordinary shares his class B share or shares give him 67% of the vote.
They can sell B shares to someone not in their family/lineage without the shares converting to A shares. But they all have to agree to this.

The rules are set up this way so no individual persons in the family can sell away the voting power in the club. However if they all agree together they can make an amendment at the time of the sale that the Class B shares they are selling in this transaction will continue to exist as Class B shares.

To give an example.
There are currently a total of 164.7 million shares in the club. 54.5m Class A, and 110.2m class B.

If every Glazer sibling except for Avram were to sell their shares now WITHOUT agreeing to make any changes to the current shareholder agreement, then their shares would need to be converted to Class A shares, meaning there would be 148.1m A shares and 16.6m B shares.

Avram would hold all the remaining B shares, which would only be a total of 10.07% of all existing shares in the club. But because his B shares hold more value and he still has more than 10% of all the shares (as B shares) then his voting power is still counted as 67% and he would control the club alone.

But because of this, the Glazers will never want to sell their shares individually, since the value lies in control of the club. Nobody would pay a significant sum to own up towards of right under 90% of the club, but still not be allowed to make decisions for the club.

So what will need to happen is that the Glazers together have to find an arrangement they can all agree on. If that is all of them selling their shares at the same time, or only the majority of them selling, they still will need to make an amendment together that allows the purchaser to get B shares and control of the club. They can agree that 4 of them sell their shares and 2 keep theirs (some or all), but that the B shares sold at this time would give the new owner the power over the club (otherwise the purchaser wouldn't buy from the 4 siblings).

If only 4-5 of them agree to selling the control of the club right now, then the last remaining Glazer can essentially force the other siblings to wait with selling since they would all prefer to sell B shares for the value they get for being controlling shares. (Unless that 6th Glazer is either Kevin or Edward, as they alone would not have 10% of the shares.)

This was likely engineered by the father so that all the family members would own the club together and would need to agree together when the right time to sell control of the club is, but still allowing the siblings to sell some or all of their shares at any time if they really needed some money for something else, without removing any significant ownership/decisionmaking of the club from the family.

That is likely the intent anyway, and if 4-5 wants to sell, but 1-2 is not willing to agree, then there might be a lawsuit between family members to try to force the minority to agree to sell control of the club.

Fitchett

1955: Anthony Eden succeeds Winston Churchill as PM, before winning a comfortable majority in a snap general election (Clem Attlee's last as Labour leader). Ruth Ellis is the last woman to be executed in the UK. The Dam Busters is released in cinemas.
And I was born in 1955

alanjohnson

I'm inclined to believe that the only reason the Glazers can't make their mind up is because the Ineos offer is not great (esp not for the club) and the Qatari's come with a lot of red flags too. Look at Malaga FC. I doubt al thani is state backed. He probably has some of his family members with him. What type of businessmen are they eg their ability to line up massive sponsorship deals for the club?
I also think the Glazers are waiting to see if they can line up lucrative long term sponsorship deals and funding/investment on their own to basically get the club through the next 10-15 yrs....when the big money comes in through the monetisation of holographic/vr technology (ive said this before). IF the Glazers are not confident of their own ability to secure those deals, they'll probably then unload the club.

stw2022

Fifteen years of the Glazer's giving the press absolutely nothing and suddenly ITKs are Tweeting about 'division' in the family.

I don't think so.

We need an rvn

I don't know how many times a day I check the caf to see if the title has changed to something of consequence as I can't filter through 5-10 pages of nothing...but even this is getting tedious.

Honestly don't get it, is the club for sale or not and why does it take people so long to make a decision? I get it, it might take a week or two to think about it once the final offers are in, but months and months...FFS

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The next thing we'll hear from proper sources will be the announcement in my opinion, not likely to happen before the window shuts either (because it would mean a transfer embargo for a period)

Matriac

I don't know how many times a day I check the caf to see if the title has changed to something of consequence as I can't filter through 5-10 pages of nothing...but even this is getting tedious.

Honestly don't get it, is the club for sale or not and why does it take people so long to make a decision? I get it, it might take a week or two to think about it once the final offers are in, but months and months...FFS
It's not so straight forward unfortunately. There are many considerations and things to be checked. Even if they know 99% which option they would like to go with they won't announce it until all the details are worked out. If for example they prefer Ineos then there's the threat of legal action from minority shareholders, so they need to research how strong their defense would be in such a case. If they prefer to with Jassim then they may need to do similar research that they would pass the fit and proper check with Premier League, how certain the funding is and so on.

Then if the siblings prefer different options they need to discuss and agree based on the information of the previous, what will get them the most money for the least amount of risk of delays and issues.

George The Best

It's not so straight forward unfortunately. There are many considerations and things to be checked. Even if they know 99% which option they would like to go with they won't announce it until all the details are worked out. If for example they prefer Ineos then there's the threat of legal action from minority shareholders, so they need to research how strong their defense would be in such a case. If they prefer to with Jassim then they may need to do similar research that they would pass the fit and proper check with Premier League, how certain the funding is and so on.

Then if the siblings prefer different options they need to discuss and agree based on the information of the previous, what will get them the most money for the least amount of risk of delays and issues.
Raine should have verified the funding from Jassim months ago. Suspect they have also got clearance that both pass the fit and proper test. None of these issues prevent them from naming a preferred bidder, whilst further work is carried out to finalise. The fact that both offers appear to be still on the table suggests they haven’t got a collective decision on how to proceed.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
To me, take to them. Protest in Tampa -- outside their house or at the Buccs games. A lot of embarrassment mixed in with a little intimidation.
its as meaningless to them as the OT protests unfortunately. Its only money that talks to them, i think they only decided to sell because of the absolute sh$tshow of a season we had with Ralf and they were under pressure form sponsors like Teamview, Adidas et all. Not really surprising now that it took from end of season 21-22 until November to make this decision. And now things are looking up and the club is back in the ECL the leeches are coming to another glacially slow decision to maybe hang about like a bad smell for another while (or not). I cant help but wonder if we had another repeat of the Ole & Ralf season maybe they would already be gone. I see a few mentions of Schrodinger's Cat, i think that maybe the cat is still there but most likely the Glazer's are in the box with the cat procrastinating. I just hope they sell the cat before he dies.

Bogga

With this pace and the fact that we keep mentioning what happened every year, we're soon gonna be looking into future events and guess... "page 5423 - The year when we first set foot on Proxima Centauri b" and the club is still in the claws of the damn glazers

Moriarty

1956 and United win their first league title under Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy. United finished 11 points above second-placed Blackpool and Wolves who were level on points but Blackpool had a slightly better goal average. Tommy Taylor and Dennis Viollet weighed in with 45 goals between them.

We need an rvn

Agreed, and I get that it takes time.

but at the same time, they are coming across like the complete and utter most incompetent owners by dragging this out as long as they have done. all this should have been discussed before putting the club up for sale with a clear preference in mind agreed by all.

End of the day I want the money sucking scum gone from the club and to top it off if SJR wins they’ll still be here - which makes my blood boil I tell ya

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Wow even the tweets have dried up now... It's almost like the enter thing has just stopped dead in it's tracks

George The Best

8 months and 2 offers still on the table! How hard can it be? The 2 potential buyers have probably spent a fortune - to get absolutely nowhere.

spwd

I'm inclined to believe that the only reason the Glazers can't make their mind up is because the Ineos offer is not great (esp not for the club) and the Qatari's come with a lot of red flags too. Look at Malaga FC. I doubt al thani is state backed. He probably has some of his family members with him. What type of businessmen are they eg their ability to line up massive sponsorship deals for the club?
I also think the Glazers are waiting to see if they can line up lucrative long term sponsorship deals and funding/investment on their own to basically get the club through the next 10-15 yrs....when the big money comes in through the monetisation of holographic/vr technology (ive said this before). IF the Glazers are not confident of their own ability to secure those deals, they'll probably then unload the club.
You think the Glazers are thinking about the club? That's a new one! :houllier:

stevoc

The entire thing has ended as abruptly as the Sopranos finale, when Bruce Willis realised he had been a robot the entire time.
Feck sake mate spoiler that shit. Some people will not have watched it yet.

George The Best

Absolutely dead in the water isnt it
Not looking great, I agree. At some point they are going to have to make a statement. The Strategic Review was a public declaration of intent. They need to update the shareholders, fans, sponsors etc, sooner or later, as to where they are with it.

redshaw

I'm hearing the Glazers are still umming and ahhing

Stay tuned for more when I get it.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Sale is being, but Glazers also doing the owning, Manchester United in a football kind of way, yes? And then, Ratcliffe's been whispered around the round ball world, speculatively, speculatively. Not forgetting Qatar, over there, looking with eyes, interest-full and mystery-cloaked. But no confirmations, no confirmations, no confirmations. We waiting be, unfold things how seeing, hmm?

George The Best

Sale is being, but Glazers also doing the owning, Manchester United in a football kind of way, yes? And then, Ratcliffe's been whispered around the round ball world, speculatively, speculatively. Not forgetting Qatar, over there, looking with eyes, interest-full and mystery-cloaked. But no confirmations, no confirmations, no confirmations. We waiting be, unfold things how seeing, hmm?
Sums it up Bard

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
LuckyScout?

Yorke to Cole

The so called "sale " and this thread itself, is mirroring the Glazer ownership. Stale, going rotten and neglected.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Feck sake mate spoiler that shit. Some people will not have watched it yet.
Sorry, now I feel like all the characters in Lost when they're all lost, and then the island grows arms and legs and looks around, muttering "Where the feck are we? I'm Lost".

Status
Not open for further replies.