Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought this was standard anyway - managers can veto.
I think it is incredibly rare to have veto in the contract. Most managers do not have veto in signings, but most good DoFs do not sign players without the manager agreeing for the signing.

Zed 101

Whilst ETH has done nothing to warrant any consideration, to have any manager who is excluded from the recruitment of players is a disaster from the start unless you have a DOF who is completely in sync with the manager's style (haha ETH) and needs, you only have to look at how signings bought by owners/directors have faired here, Chelsea and other clubs.... I think veto is a bit far but any manager should have a part in the discussion

Josep Dowling

But that is not the situation Ten Hag signed for when he came to United. He said himself he wouldn’t come if he couldn’t decide the transfers. It will be different with Ineos and that will give problems and tension.
Well he’s proved he can’t identify a decent player so he needs to accept the situation or get sacked.

Hester_manc

I'm still disappointed. It wasn't quite this accident I was hoping for when I read that the Glazers finally opened up to a sale of United.

Paul778

I think it is incredibly rare to have veto in the contract. Most managers do not have veto in signings, but most good DoFs do not sign players without the manager agreeing for the signing.
Yes. There should be consultation with the manager and probably others but ultimately it's the DoF decision to make.

aeh1991

If we can get a board consisting of Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Sir David Brailsford, Jean Claude Blanc, Dan Ashworth and Paul Mitchell, it would be an incredible step up from the past decades. That is the level how a top club should be run. I hope especially Blanc will bring some really basic and fresh improvement ideas to the infrastructure, since we've been so much behind in everything, compared to other top clubs. I wouldn't mind if the whole process needs time, but I'm very excited to see the changes.

Chairman Steve

Ashworth and Mitchell joining would be very significant. I hope it happens.

I‘m interested to see how the Ashworth story develops. They’re running that him and Brailsford are BFFs but I wonder whether there may be other factors involved. I’ve always wondered whether if the Saudi League kept evolving (i.e. enticing younger big name players) that Newcastle would take a bit of a backseat and they wouldn’t be quite the City pt 2 everyones expecting.

Along with Blanc and Brailsford, we would have an impressive array of senior officials after a decade of probably the worst bunch of senior officials at the elite club level.

wolvored

The transfers TH has bought in should mean that his veto is removed immediately

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If we can get a board consisting of Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Sir David Brailsford, Jean Claude Blanc, Dan Ashworth and Paul Mitchell, it would be an incredible step up from the past decades. That is the level how a top club should be run. I hope especially Blanc will bring some really basic and fresh improvement ideas to the infrastructure, since we've been so much behind in everything, compared to other top clubs. I wouldn't mind if the whole process needs time, but I'm very excited to see the changes.
It sounds like you want a C-suite version of Galaticos.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not gonna happen, just sack him. They are not hiring Ashworth and Mitchell to buy the players Ten Hag knows from the Eredivisie.
Conversely, I'd hate a structure that buys players and thrusts then upon a manager without their opinion. It all needs to work together.

pacifictheme

But that is not the situation Ten Hag signed for when he came to United. He said himself he wouldn’t come if he couldn’t decide the transfers. It will be different with Ineos and that will give problems and tension.
He's given some pretty strong evidence that he can't identify decent targets. If he refuses a change to a more collaborative approach then he needs booting.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No manager should have veto if your club is built around a sporting structure, your manager should be considered a coach and to fit into the clubs philosophy, We shouldnt be buying players to suit a manager they should fit the club the club should also look for managers to fit that style.
I would say that it's fine within reason. If the manager has good reason why he doesn't want a player and can make a convincing argument, or if there are two players and the club is slightly leaning towards one while the manager strongly prefers the other, those are fine.

Obviously if the manager tries to veto signings left, right and centre to try to get things his own way that's a completely different situation.

AndySmith1990

Conversely, I'd hate a structure that buys players and thrusts then upon a manager without their opinion. It all needs to work together.
Then what's this huge structural overhaul that's needed to enable Ten Hag to flourish? That's what we keep hearing about lately. Ten Hag isn't responsible for transfers and we need to see what he does with some amazing magical structure working above him. Only then can we truly judge him.

But if he's still going to have a say in who we sign, where's the evolution here? What difference does it make to any part of his job? How would it change anything about his subpar management?

DevTheRed

So just so I understand,

Jim (part owner), Sir Dave (Ineos Sporting Director), Jean-Claude Blanc (CEO TBC), Dan Ashworth (Football Director TBC) and Paul Mitchell (Football Director TBC).. correct?

Would certainly be a huge step up from previous years.. if we can get all of these in it would be absolutely massive.

Gordon Godot

We are currently a long way from that, with ETH free to fish in his tiny Dutch league pond. A lot of clubs consult managers, thats as far as it goes. If the scouting and recruitment team do their jobs, managers shouldnt have an issue. The top clubs are now simply to large an organisation and global scouting too complex for a manager to have much of a view.

Demon Barber

Then what's this huge structural overhaul that's needed to enable Ten Hag to flourish? That's what we keep hearing about lately. Ten Hag isn't responsible for transfers and we need to see what he does with some amazing magical structure working above him. Only then can we truly judge him.

But if he's still going to have a say in who we sign, where's the evolution here? What difference does it make to any part of his job? How would it change anything about his subpar management?
The bolded bits seem contradictory as you have already judged him. However, I take your point that Ten Hag could flourish with an experienced and professional structure at the club. I have not given up on him yet.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So just so I understand,

Jim (part owner), Sir Dave (Ineos Sporting Director), Jean-Claude Blanc (CEO TBC), Dan Ashworth (Football Director TBC) and Paul Mitchell (Football Director TBC).. correct?

Would certainly be a huge step up from previous years.. if we can get all of these in it would be absolutely massive.
Titles can mean differently at different clubs. For example ashworth at Brighton was a technical director when in reality he was more of a DOF. I think that we would have blanc as CEO, ashworth at the top of the football pyramid as sporting director and Mitchell focused solely on recruitment

wolvored

The only way any manager going forward should have a say is the very end, only if there are two or three equal players that have been scouted and vetoed by those above.
Eric we have scouted a CD and we have narrowed it down to A and B, who would you prefer? That should be any managers only input.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So just so I understand,

If we bring them both in, I would presume Ashworth would be the DoF (could be a different title but same meaning) with Paul Mitchell as Head of Recruitment.

Not sure what position Brailsford would be in. Does seems likely it will be more of an overriding position rather than a specific Man Utd focused job.

Withnail

Everyone still persisting in turning this quote into something it's not and making it out to be unusual, I see.

"I set requirements in advance about how I want to work,"

"If they aren't granted, I won't do it. I am ultimately responsible and accounted for the results. I don't want to be the sole ruler, I stand for cooperation, but control in transfers is a condition for me."
He says control in transfers, not control of transfers and that he doesn't want to be the sole ruler. I'm not absolving Ten Hag but it's a collaborative process, which has not been a huge success so far but a lot of that has to be down to the club. They're the ones approving the massive fees and wages after all.

Quote from Fabrizio Romano on the subject:

There are clubs where the manager is more influential, clubs where the director is more influential when it comes to decisions on transfers,” Romano said.

“With Ten Hag, he shared the vision with the club, as players like Hojlund, Onana, Amrabat were strongly wanted by the Dutchman, so he is having a key role in re-building this squad.

“This is something fairly normal in football, it’s not particularly surprising, but as I said it varies from club to club to some degree, and it gives you an idea of United’s plans to work with this manager for the present and future.”

Status
Not open for further replies.