Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
In reality this probably is as dead rubber as it sounds, but it's still a 28 year old who can take serious beatings and is a rocket of energy versus a 40 year old who do well to maintain the right energy/ fitness.

This being said Mayweather has never been a Ricky Hatton boxer. He doesn't rely on brawling and bursts of energy. He is more like a tactical wizard and big hitter. This fight could easily go 12 rounds. Mayweather is used to being forced into submission with rounds of punches to the head or arm bars. In boxing and against Mayweather I think he'll hold out, but lose on the technique over the 12 rounds.

It could be a good bet for this to go the distance as would assume very favourable odds.

Red_Aaron

There's no way this doesn't already have a pre agreed outcome, mayweather takes this even a tiny bit seriously and it's over in 2 at best.

I'm not even sure conor could do 12 rounds of boxing tbh. I'm calling DQ with another mega money rematch

Oggmonster

Eh, sure Muhammad Ali fought Antonio Inoki.
That fight is considered an absolute embarrassment in fairness. It was a joke from start to finish. Albeit it was mixed rules so basically Inoki lying on his back kicking for every round.

Wish it was in London. That pussy Mayweather is scared to have it outside the US.
:lol: Said it before but anyone calling professional fighters a "pussy" is just an odd human being. They risk their health every time they step into a ring/cage and deserve more respect than that. I don't get why he's a pussy for having the fight in Vegas either? It's the fighting capital of the world. Both of them pretty much fight all their fights in America and it makes most financial sense. Why would they have it in London? McGregor is Irish and Floyd is American. There's 0 sense having it there.

It's a sad day for boxing.
Hmm, I dunno if boxing is any worse off by it really. Surely it's worse for the UFC?

Mayweather has 0 titles, is holding up 0 divisions by doing it. It's essentially an exhibition for him. McGregor is a current UFC champion and has never defended that title he currently holds and is holding up a whole division whilst taking the fight. Mayweather is his own boss and does what he wants, McGregor is a UFC employee and basically does what he wants whilst they bend over backwards for him. It looks far worse for them all whilst Dana White continues to shit on fighters who actively fight for him and comes out with the line "You're not making McGregor money." It'll be hard to see McGregor ever fighting for the UFC again really all whilst the face of their directors and owners sings his praises at any opportunity. It's just odd.

I'll watch it and won't pretend I won't. Not criticising either for taking it cos it's an easy fight for Mayweather and a huge pay day for Conor but I think it's far worse for the UFC than boxing.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It will have to go at least 7-8 rounds or else it'll be a PR disaster, they need the commercials money etc. badly for this to make sense. It's a pointless fight, it's like asking Golden State Warriors to challenge Barcelona at football or the other way around, ask Real Madrid football team to play Cleveland Cavaliers at basketball.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
:lol: FFS I was in this castle in the middle of nowhere in Ireland for the McGregor Aldo fight in 2015, it had no internet/tv.

Now I'm in that same fecking castle for this fight.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This will probably be more fake then WWE.

If (and it's a big IF) it's a straight-up legit fight, and Mayweather actually prepares for it, it won't be a contest.

G-manc

Hoping there is a amazing undercard to make up for the main event
I would imagine Floyd would use the show to showcase the fighters under his promotional banner i.e. Gervonta Davis, Badou Jack etc.

G-manc

I'm literally sat at my work desk shaking my head.

McGregor would get handled by a domestic level fighter at 154lbs nevermind the best boxer of the generation.

AXVnee7

I'm looking forward more to the build up and Conor's antics more than I am the actual fight. The press conferences will be hilarious.

I actually do think Conor has a decent chance, but only because of Floyd's age. Obviously his technical style diminishes the impact, but Conor should be faster.

JP77

It's absolutely ridiculous but I'm going to love every single minute of it. The build could be some of the best build up we've seen in a long time. The atmosphere on the night is going to be absolutely incredible. Of course it's 99.99% certain that Mayweather goes in there and comfortably beats him but none of that will stop and incredible build, brilliant atmosphere and even some people believing that McGregor has the punchers chance.

Could you actually imagine the scenes if McGregor somehow caught him with a shot and won :lol:

cyberman

Bookies have the total rounds line at 9.5.

Pounding the under and FM by TKO.
That's the thing. For all of Conor's disadvantages, a lack of toughness isn't one. Floyd can't knock anybody down with his brittle hands so does Conor get flustered and charge in? Does the ref stop a fight due to Conor eating too many jabs?
Normally I'd pile on Floyd by decision but this circus actually has me doubting the manner of the outcome more than any other Floyd fight I can remember.

Zebs

Breaking: First image of McGregor and Mayweather meeting after fight announced.

Inter Yer Nan

In reality this probably is as dead rubber as it sounds, but it's still a 28 year old who can take serious beatings and is a rocket of energy versus a 40 year old who do well to maintain the right energy/ fitness.

This being said Mayweather has never been a Ricky Hatton boxer. He doesn't rely on brawling and bursts of energy. He is more like a tactical wizard and big hitter. This fight could easily go 12 rounds. Mayweather is used to being forced into submission with rounds of punches to the head or arm bars. In boxing and against Mayweather I think he'll hold out, but lose on the technique over the 12 rounds.

It could be a good bet for this to go the distance as would assume very favourable odds.
Conor will be gassed by the end of the 3rd.

I'm fairly certain it's a pre-determined "you can't knock me out" job and Mayweather wins 12-0. Punch stats will be awful. I'm thinking McGregor will throw around 250 and land around 20-30 and none of those clean.

Oggmonster

Hoping there is a amazing undercard to make up for the main event
I would imagine Floyd would use the show to showcase the fighters under his promotional banner i.e. Gervonta Davis, Badou Jack etc.
I dunno, you might get Davis but I'd be surprised really. Whilst it's a good way to showcase some fighters I don't think you'll get any of his big names. All the money from this PPV is going to Mayweather and McGregor.

He's gassed a few times in his career albeit he did do well to go 5 rounds the second fight with Diaz. I don't know how well his energy will hold up when he's getting outclassed for a full fight, it's different to MMA where he's usually at least in the contest.

Zen

August more or less sums up the absurdity of all this. When the feck has Boxing existed in August.....in fact Floyds NEVER boxed in August. As a pro anyway.

Oggmonster

August more or less sums up the absurdity of all this. When the feck has Boxing existed in August.....in fact Floyds NEVER boxed in August. As a pro anyway.
Cotto is fighting in August....on that exact same day :(

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I really dislike both of these two.
Hope both lose!

Zebs

He's gassed a few times in his career albeit he did do well to go 5 rounds the second fight with Diaz. I don't know how well his energy will hold up when he's getting outclassed for a full fight, it's different to MMA where he's usually at least in the contest.
Gassed entirely once, at 170lbs, when he'd been training for a 155 fight up until two weeks before the fight. Almost gassed in the second fight but managed to bring it back and win the fight, lasting the full five.

Not sure where else this idea of him gassing has come from.

El-Manos

This makes absolutely no sense. Like Nadal going up against a retired world champion badminton player or something.

G-manc

Based on McGregor being 12 years younger, I'd imagine.
I would expect most people have seen both of them fight though which should render that opinion redundant. McGregor hands aren't particularly quick, Floyd's are.

Dumbat12

Conor will be gassed by the end of the 3rd
That's unlikely to happen. Boxing is way less exhausting than MMA, especially when it comes down to clinching/defendng from clinch. Frankly, I'm willing to bet that Conor can easily last till the end in a boxing ring.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would expect most people have seen both of them fight though which should render that opinion redundant. McGregor hands aren't particularly quick, Floyd's are.
Tbf by the time the fight comes around it will have been two years since Mayweather last fought, which makes a difference when you're 40 years old. He's bound to be slowing down at this stage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope Conor doesn't come back to MMA. He's got more than enough money to never fight again and frankly the circus is something the UFC can do without these days.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I hope Conor doesn't come back to MMA. He's got more than enough money to never fight again and frankly the circus is something the UFC can do without these days.
Dana said yesterday he'll defend his belt in 2017 though.

G-manc

Tbf by the time the fight comes around it will have been two years since Mayweather last fought, which makes a difference when you're 40 years old. He's bound to be slowing down at this stage.
Even taking that into account he will still have infinitely quicker hands than McGregor who i don't consider to be quick of hand even for a UFC fighter never mind a boxer. We're talking about arguably the best boxer of his generation who hasn't looked barely 7lbs over his preferred fighting weight even when retired. He could counter with his right hand quicker than Conor could throw a jab.

I don't even think he's slowed that much with age. His punch output certainly but not much of his speed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The only real question is how long the fight will last. Personally I think the gulf in class between the two is enough for Mayweather to stop McGregor in the first half of the fight quite easily.

RedFish

I'd be amazed if Conor doesn't get embarrassed. High chance of a total shut out by Mayweather, that is of course Conor doesn't end up throwing a spinning back fist out of total frustration and getting DQ'ed.