Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Zen

It'd be the most hysterical thing in sports history if it does happen......though I'm pretty sure Floyd's taken tougher shots than a UFC's powder puff punch.

RedRevongge

I am so looking forward to this. The build up will be immense. Although Mayweather is almost a certain winner I can't help but think if McGregor lands just one big left hand...who knows?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
McGregor has a big left that will be smothered in a bigger glove. If and when it lands that's that is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Are you saying that he won't be a banger in 10oz grant gloves? Surely he has natural power.
Certainly not to the same extent that he is in MMA. Will he be any more of a banger than many of the fighters Mayweather has already faced? I doubt it.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
What are the bookies saying? Obviously Floyd is clear favourite.

Inter Yer Nan

Oh I agree with you there. I doubt he has more power than guys like Mosley or Maidana.
A
Oh I agree with you there. I doubt he has more power than guys like Mosley or Maidana.
Also, those guys are trained at punching Boxers and they were wearing 8oz gloves. This fight is in 10oz gloves. I think some people are going to be astonished at the lack of technique in Conor's punching and general Boxing skill set as early as the first minute of the fight.

I'm a hardcore Boxing fan and I'm not being funny I could look through the top 50 ranked Welterweights and up in the world and I wouldn't find one single name I'd pick Conor to beat. He may spring a surprise on a lucky punch with one or two who suck defensively, but but he'd be an underdog vs. all. Look at that video of him sparring that South African guy that Spence annihilated - Conor made him look very good. Conor's technique was laughable.

RedFish

A

Also, those guys are trained at punching Boxers and they were wearing 8oz gloves. This fight is in 10oz gloves. I think some people are going to be astonished at the lack of technique in Conor's punching and general Boxing skill set as early as the first minute of the fight.
He'll look like an amateur.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Can't see anything other than Mayweather winning right away. Like with the Pacquaio fight, he wouldn't have agreed to it if he felt there was an even remote chance he'd lose, whereas McGregor's the sort of impulsive bastard who'd probably be up for this no matter what his chances.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is everything about this fight on Floyd's terms (gloves, rules, etc)? Would be so much more interesting if the tweaked at least some of the rules to make it a contest.

Classical Mechanic

Can't see anything other than Mayweather winning right away. Like with the Pacquaio fight, he wouldn't have agreed to it if he felt there was an even remote chance he'd lose, whereas McGregor's the sort of impulsive bastard who'd probably be up for this no matter what his chances.
Floyd will carry him. It will be like the old exhibition fights back in the day when your Jack Johnson's or Sam Langford would tour the US and fight the local hard man, they would let them stay on their feet for eight rounds to keep the locals happy. Floyd might even let him survive 12 as his hands are brittle as.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Floyd will carry him. It will be like the old exhibition fights back in the day when your Jack Johnson's or Sam Langford would tour the US and fight the local hard man, they would let them stay on their feet for eight rounds to keep the locals happy. Floyd might even let him survive 12 as his hands are brittle as.
Depends though. If it becomes too clear there's an obvious gulf in class then Mayweather may look silly if he's not just ending the whole thing. Considering his talent and reputation, he might not want to look too ridiculous by 'struggling' to put someone away until near the end.

Inter Yer Nan

That's what I think. I think Conor is aware he can't win, but that Floyd needs him also so I'm pretty sure there's some sort of gentleman's agreement. The UFC and Conor will want to remain marketable and as stupid as people are if Floyd wins in a round or two (which he would if he wanted) that would deter people from Conor and hurt his and their brand.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
This will be the best boxing match since Mr T faced E.T. at wrestlemania 7. It should be held in a Big Top with lion tamers and trapeze.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn't you be up for a multi-million dollar fight even though you'd know for a fact you'd lose? I'd do it in a heartbeat if someone could assure me I wouldn't sustain permanent brain damage.

Classical Mechanic

Depends though. If it becomes too clear there's an obvious gulf in class then Mayweather may look silly if he's not just ending the whole thing. Considering his talent and reputation, he might not want to look too ridiculous by 'struggling' to put someone away until near the end.
Floyd is the one of the greatest defensive fighters of all time. His MO is making boxers look silly because they can't land shots on him.

He makes some of the best fighters of a generation look inept and silly, McGregor will likely up looking like and absolute nugget swinging at thin air constantly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Wouldn't you be up for a multi-million dollar fight even though you'd know for a fact you'd lose? I'd do it in a heartbeat if someone could assure me I wouldn't sustain permanent brain damage.
Oh aye, no doubt the money will be a major motivating factor for McGregor, but part of me thinks he's probably up for it just for the challenge/fun, anyway. Whereas I don't reckon Mayweather would even begin to consider it if he thought he might lose.

Kazi

I love the 'If McGregor lands a left...' argument. Even if McGregor did somehow land his left, Floyd would just walk through it.

Also the odds should be at least 100/1 for McGregor.

Inter Yer Nan

If it goes the distance, 120-96 Mayweather.
I think if this guy fought McGregor as a pro I'd pick him to stop Conor fairly early. Tons of holes and weaknesses. The only way he lands on Floyd is that Floyd laughs so hard at his punching technique that he forgets he's still in a fight. I doubt Mayweather has been in the ring with somebody this poor in the last 20 years.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How much can or could he improve his boxing until the fight? It's still two more months and I reckon he's been training for it since the turn of the year, so how much can a talented guy improve his boxing skills in 7 months?

I know he doesn't stand a chance and all that, but I just hope he has improved a lot and it'll be something resembling a real bout.

spwd

Sigh, so the "contest" we all knew was happening is actually happening. Great...

... Can't believe I'm dumb enough to pay for this, but there you go :lol:
Exactly my feelings on the whole thing, I'll moan this is happening and eventually hand over my money.

I'll be watching but there's absolutely no way I'll be paying for it.

:lol: FFS I was in this castle in the middle of nowhere in Ireland for the McGregor Aldo fight in 2015, it had no internet/tv.

Now I'm in that same fecking castle for this fight.
Show off:rolleyes:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
All Blacks versus the New England Patriots would be about as intriguing.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Floyd is the one of the greatest defensive fighters of all time. His MO is making boxers look silly because they can't land shots on him.

He makes some of the best fighters of a generation look inept and silly, McGregor will likely up looking like and absolute nugget swinging at thin air constantly.
Ugh, Canelo is one of my favourite boxers, an absolute monster and Mayweather made him look like a dork at times. His ability to not get hit and counter is insane.

If it goes the distance, 120-96 Mayweather.
C'mon, I'd hardly call that sparring. Multiple times McGregor reverted to his wide Karate stance. Looked more like a general warm down or some nonsense.