Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not by anyone who has been punched by him.
Could say that for a younger Floyd but he's right he doesn't put as much power into his punches anymore, he's got issues with his hands and i remember him saying he has to take injections before fights. It's clear to see when he fights too, he hasn't knocked many fighters out during the second half of his career.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's on the payroll for the company charging $100 for that garbage.
A lot of people scored it similarly. Certainly seems more accurate than the scorecards that just had McGregor winning round one.

Personally I thought he won the first three and lost the rest.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was being kind to make the fight look less ridiculous than it was. Just like the referee let him off with constant fouling.
I don't believe that at all. Its debatable whether or not the ref should've taken a point for the rabbit punches, just as its debatable that two of the three official judges had it so lopsided towards Floyd winning.

SteveTheRed

Looked a very comfortable fight for Mayweather...shock. Waited for the bigger man to tire out and picked him apart. McGregor landed a lot more than I thought but the power was not there, 80 of those punches were nothing. I've watched all McGregor's fights in UFC and never seen that, he's a man that has always prides himself on precision and timing. He was just stat padding.

Gutted I missed out on my 9th bet!

In my opinion there are only two ways to look at the fight.

Either it was all fixed and the two men agreed that the best outcome for both is for McGregor to last 8-10 rounds, Mayweather to get a finish. McGregor pulled his punches, Mayweather never looked in danger. Everyone walks away with respect and $100m in the bank.

Or McGregor doesn't possess this god-like power, Mayweather has fought some hard hitters and breezed through those first 4 rounds where McGregor had the energy. It was quite routine for him.

I think McGregor struggled to convey his power when in a boxing stance, which is a credit to the power Boxers have. In the octagon he can use full range and get momentum on shots, be a lot more open.

Classical Mechanic

A lot of people scored it similarly. Certainly seems more accurate than the scorecards that just had McGregor winning round one.

I don't believe that at all. Its debatable whether or not the ref should've taken a point for the rabbit punches, just as its debatable that two of the three official judges had it so lopsided towards Floyd winning.
Most people don't have the first clue how to score a boxing match, they have zero knowledge of the criteria.

Some details in here from a judge.

http://www.premierboxingchampions.c...ge-steve-weisfeld-offers-tips-how-score-fight

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Most people don't have the first clue how to score a boxing match, they have zero knowledge of the criteria.

Some details in here from a judge.

http://www.premierboxingchampions.c...ge-steve-weisfeld-offers-tips-how-score-fight
Except that Farhood is a lifelong boxing historian who generally knows his stuff. We know Floyd won the fight on points as well as by TKO, but you're going to have difficulty finding many objective observers who deny that Conor won the first three rounds. He was more active and landed more.

Manny

Grammar Police

One judge gave Conor round 1 only. The other two gave him the first three rounds.

Oggmonster

According to Urijah Faber instagram story this did 6.5 million buys....not sure if that number is accurate or not as it's him sat in a room with Dana discussing it.

cyberman

May/Pac did mid 4m.
Holy crap, if it's true then Floyd is legit a billionaire.
With Conor that hot you simply need to have Conor v Diaz 3 up next.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
According to Urijah Faber instagram story this did 6.5 million buys....not sure if that number is accurate or not as it's him sat in a room with Dana discussing it.
I wouldn't doubt those numbers. Floyd is the biggest draw in boxing and Conor is the biggest draw in MMA, so putting them together was bound to smash the record.

Manny

Grammar Police
The 6.5m number has to be bollox.

I reckon it didn't break 4.5m buys so Dana has put out the combined figure for US, UK, Ireland, Australia and who ever else. He'll have to clarify later but right now, it benefits the UFC and McGregor to have that number doing the rounds in the media.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The 6.5m number has to be bollox.

I reckon it didn't break 4.5m buys so Dana has put out the combined figure for US, UK, Ireland, Australia and who ever else. He'll have to clarify later but right now, it benefits the UFC and McGregor to have that number doing the rounds in the media.
It could be a world wide number and the US number is significantly less.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Watched this for the first time earlier and for all the talk it certainly wasn't as one sided as some made out. Thought McGregor have an excellent account of himself and if that uppercut in the first round was a split second sooner he may have kept his promise of an early knockout.

Floyd deserved the win overall though but I agree that they should have let it continue as McGregor, while wobbly, didn't look in too much trouble.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Watched this for the first time earlier and for all the talk it certainly wasn't as one sided as some made out. Thought McGregor have an excellent account of himself and if that uppercut in the first round was a split second sooner he may have kept his promise of an early knockout.

Floyd deserved the win overall though but I agree that they should have let it continue as McGregor, while wobbly, didn't look in too much trouble.
what?

i was calling for the fecking towel to be thrown by round 8... he was being punished at will. (while not being able to give any damage himself)

15 more seconds and Conor would have ended concussed lying on the floor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Your eyes weren't deceiving you. That's exactly how it went down. Whether or not that was Mayweather's strategy is of course irrelevant since history will record that Conor stepped into a boxing match with Mayweather and took between 1 and 3 rounds off him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
" Just coming back around after a whirlwind couple of days.

Thank you to all the fans for the support of the fight and the event! Without your support we as fighters are nothing so I thank you all!
Thank you to my team of coaches and training partners!
I had an amazing team and It truly was an amazing and enjoyable camp, and honestly I feel with just a little change in certain areas of the prep, we could have built the engine for 12 full rounds under stress, and got the better result on the night.

Getting to 12 rounds alone in practice was always the challenge in this camp. We started slowly getting to the 12 and decreasing the stress in the rounds the closer it got to 12. I think for the time we had, 10 weeks in camp, it had to be done this way. If I began with a loaded 12 rounds under much stress I would have only hit a brick wall and lost progress as a result and potentially not made the fight. A little more time and we could have made the 12 cleanly, while under more stress, and made it thru the later rounds in the actual fight. I feel every decision we made at each given time was the correct decision, and I am proud of everyone of my team for what we done in the short time that we done it.
30 minutes was the longest I have fought in a ring or cage or anywhere. Surpassing my previous time of 25 minutes. I am happy for the experience and happy to take all these great lessons with me and implement them into my camp going forward. Another day another lesson!

Congrats to Floyd on a well fought match. Very experienced and methodical in his work. I wish him well in retirement. He is a heck of a boxer. His experience, his patience and his endurance won him this fight hands down. I always told him he was not a fighter but a boxer. But sharing the ring with him he is certainly a solid fighter. Strong in the clinch. Great understanding of frames and head position. He has some very strong tools he could bring into an MMA game for sure.

Here is a toast of whiskey to everyone involved in this event and everyone who enjoyed it!
Thank you to you all! Onto the next one!"

This will plague Conor for the rest of his "career" unless he does something about it. By this I mean his lack of cardio. He needs to start running marathons and the like if he doesn't want to fade late in fights.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Whether or not that was Mayweather's strategy is of course irrelevant since history will record that Conor stepped into a boxing match with Mayweather and took between 1 and 3 rounds off him.
Nah. History will simply record the winner, not the details.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nah. History will simply record the winner, not the details.
In normal fights yes, but in highly publicized one off fights, some of the details are relevant. The fact that a non-boxer won a few rounds off one of the all-time greats (albeit an ageing one) is noteworthy.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

Thank you to all the fans for the support of the fight and the event! Without your support we as fighters are nothing so I thank you all!
I had an amazing team and It truly was an amazing and enjoyable camp, and honestly I feel with just a little change in certain areas of the prep, we could have built the engine for 12 full rounds under stress, and got the better result on the night.

Getting to 12 rounds alone in practice was always the challenge in this camp. We started slowly getting to the 12 and decreasing the stress in the rounds the closer it got to 12. I think for the time we had, 10 weeks in camp, it had to be done this way. If I began with a loaded 12 rounds under much stress I would have only hit a brick wall and lost progress as a result and potentially not made the fight. A little more time and we could have made the 12 cleanly, while under more stress, and made it thru the later rounds in the actual fight. I feel every decision we made at each given time was the correct decision, and I am proud of everyone of my team for what we done in the short time that we done it.
30 minutes was the longest I have fought in a ring or cage or anywhere. Surpassing my previous time of 25 minutes. I am happy for the experience and happy to take all these great lessons with me and implement them into my camp going forward. Another day another lesson!

Congrats to Floyd on a well fought match. Very experienced and methodical in his work. I wish him well in retirement. He is a heck of a boxer. His experience, his patience and his endurance won him this fight hands down. I always told him he was not a fighter but a boxer. But sharing the ring with him he is certainly a solid fighter. Strong in the clinch. Great understanding of frames and head position. He has some very strong tools he could bring into an MMA game for sure.

Here is a toast of whiskey to everyone involved in this event and everyone who enjoyed it!

This will plague Conor for the rest of his "career" unless he does something about it. By this I mean his lack of cardio. He needs to start running marathons and the like if he doesn't want to fade late in fights.

Thought you meant the awful suit at first.

But yeah it does need addressing. Albeit I imagine the rest of his career isn't very long, couple more fights.

One thing I admire about the guy is that he is humble in defeat, it's a very classy response to the fight that and a lot of people, i.e. Aldo, Ronda etc could learn from it. People may not like his persona in hyping fights which is fair enough but it seems clearly he is hugely respectful outside of that persona and always keen to learn and improve.

SteveTheRed

Classy in defeat, as usual for McGregor

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought you meant the awful suit at first.

But yeah it does need addressing. Albeit I imagine the rest of his career isn't very long, couple more fights.

One thing I admire about the guy is that he is humble in defeat, it's a very classy response to the fight that and a lot of people, i.e. Aldo, Ronda etc could learn from it. People may not like his persona in hyping fights which is fair enough but it seems clearly he is hugely respectful outside of that persona and always keen to learn and improve.
You're probably right. His profile is at an all time high right now so another 2-3 UFC fights where he makes about 20-25m each and then move into promotions. I'll bet you anything that if he and Floyd teamed up to promote fights outside the UFC structure, they would make ridiculous money, even more than what they do right now.

Oggmonster

You're probably right. His profile is at an all time high right now so another 2-3 UFC fights where he makes about 20-25m each and then move into promotions. I'll bet you anything that if he and Floyd teamed up to promote fights outside the UFC structure, they would make ridiculous money, even more than what they do right now.
Yeah I agree. He and Floyd both have massive star power.

I remember watching James DeGale vs Badou Jack and people were slating Floyd for making it "all about him" and not giving the attention to the fighter, the same happened with Gervonta Davis vs Liam Walsh. The reality is Floyd is a very very good promoter, for all the talk of him being stupid and can't read etc he knows him being in the spotlight gets the fighters in the spotlight and gets them spoken about. I imagine Conor could have the same mentality look at when he walked to the ring with Michael Conlon and that alone got a load of attention. Fans of MMA (or just fans of Conor) would probably follow him into whatever he did after he is done with the UFC.

Classical Mechanic

In normal fights yes, but in highly publicized one off fights, some of the details are relevant. The fact that a non-boxer won a few rounds off one of the all-time greats (albeit an ageing one) is noteworthy.
If you are so insistent on claiming it as a victory for your pro MMA agenda (I can only deduce) then you need to add the extra caveat that not only was Floyd retired but he is also 20lbs smaller.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you are so insistent on claiming it as a victory for your pro MMA agenda (I can only deduce) then you need to add the extra caveat that not only was Floyd retired but he is also 20lbs smaller.
I don't have a pro-MMA agenda, but in all fairness, anytime someone from another sport comes into a sport like boxing and holds his own against a top rated boxer, it is a noteworthy thing.

I'm surprised our resident boxing purists have a hard time admitting this without sneering at the idea that McGregor is actually a decent fighter.

Classical Mechanic

I don't have a pro-MMA agenda, but in all fairness, anytime someone from another sport comes into a sport like boxing and holds his own against a top rated boxer, it is a noteworthy thing.

I'm surprised our resident boxing purists have a hard time admitting this without sneering at the idea that McGregor is actually a decent fighter.
Getting stopped by a guy who is 20lbs lighter and who has average power is not holding your own. It is an embarrassing defeat if you want to judge Conor as a real boxer. If you want to take him not getting really embarrassed as a victory then fine.

He might be an elite MMA fighter but he is a terrible boxer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Getting stopped by a guy who is 20lbs lighter and who has average power is not holding your own. It is an embarrassing defeat if you want to judge Conor as a real boxer. If you want to take him not getting really embarrassed as a victory then fine.

You can attempt to move the goal posts all you want but at the end of the day you have a non-boxer (zero fights ever) going into the ring with a champion calibre boxer and winning a few rounds (whether 1, 3 or whatever). That will be the enduring narrative in all of this.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

You can attempt to move the goal posts all you want but at the end of the day you have non-boxer (zero fights ever) going into the ring with a champion calibre boxer and winning a few rounds (whether 1, 3 or whatever). That will be the enduring narrative in all of this.
The enduring narrative, the only narrative, is that two guys got really rich and fair play to them for selling that garbage so well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Let's be honest the only reason he got stopped was because he was so gassed. If he could hold his stamina up through 12 rounds he could have come close to winning.

His body type though isn't built for long slugs, it's short sharp explosive power, an 100m runner not a 5k. I think he did better than most people expected, but he could hardly stand on his own feet in the 7th round, anybody could have "stopped" him by that point.

Inter Yer Nan

I agree. I really think the whole fight was a case of Floyd allowing whatever happened to happen because what I saw Conor looked awful as I'd expect. I suspect there was a few arrangements in place to satisfy the public because let's face it - people are easily fooled.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Let's be honest the only reason he got stopped was because he was so gassed. If he could hold his stamina up through 12 rounds he could have come close to winning.

His body type though isn't built for long slugs, it's short sharp explosive power, an 100m runner not a 5k. I think he did better than most people expected, but he could hardly stand on his own feet in the 7th round, anybody could have "stopped" him by that point.
For a good looser, Conor brings quite a lot of excuses for his defeats.

And people buy it. :D

It was a charade ffs!! A scam, Moneygrab... A tv show.

Any good boxer would put him to sleep easily. And its ok because it's not his sport!! Would be the other way around in MMA.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Agreed. Floyd was obviously taking over in the latter rounds but it was because Conor was tired. If Conor was able to sustain his energy of the first three rounds for an additional 3-4 rounds, the fight may have gone the distance and Floyd won by decision.

Kazi

Dana will be ecstatic with this sort of post coming out of the fight

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I agree that it's a disservice to Mcgregor himself to try and make out that it was some kind of 'victory' to last 10 rounds against a retired 40 year old who is 20lb lighter and not a KO merchant at all.

It's almost patronizing.

As the dust settles, I think we all have to admit that if we got sucked into the fight, we got 'had' by both Connor and Floyd.

This was about a huge payday for them both and a way for Mcgregor to plug his whiskey brand, which he has spent more time talking about than anything else, and did so from the moment the fight ended (possibly before as well?).

Good luck to them both, they've both brought great entertainment to us over their careers, but this fight was really a non-event.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I think we all have to admit that if we got sucked into the fight
We didn't though. This was exactly what everyone was expecting. No one thought Conor had a chance and he didn't. People can't complain about being roped into paying for an event when it was patently obvious how competitive it would be from the outset.

It was more competitive than expected, though. So people got more than they expected.