Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

TheReligion

Abusive
Thank God this farce is finished.

Mayweather always going to win and he didn't have to get out of second gear. McGregor didn't have the stamina or power to trouble him and after spending the first 3 rounds working out his unorthodox style, and realising he didn't didn't to worry about being caught, Mayweather was able to simply keep walking him down and pick his punches. The fight went 10 rounds as Mayweather decide it should.

Deleted member 101472

I tried to make it to Manchester for the Kostya fight, and I'm pretty sure Hatton was the underdog with the bookies at the time. You should try watching some of Hatton's early fights. The mauling approach only really took root from the Kostya fight onwards.

Regardless, no one would argue that Hatton was a technical wizard. But he was effective at what he did. He was also, ironically, hurt by his own fans during the Mayweather fight. They booed the US anthem and Joe Cortez, being an unprofessional asshole, penalised at him at every possible juncture as a result.
I think it appeared that way just because it enabled Mayweather to stay at range and pick him apart. But it's still by the books one would argue, to break fighters off and put some distance between them.

The result would have been the same with any referee in there. Mayweather adapted to that fight the way it was dictated the first few rounds like he always does. If it was a ref who let things go on the inside, he'd just have turned his back the way he did last night.

The Bloody-Nine

I think it appeared that way just because it enabled Mayweather to stay at range and pick him apart. But it's still by the books one would argue, to break fighters off and put some distance between them.

The result would have been the same with any referee in there. Mayweather adapted to that fight the way it was dictated the first few rounds like he always does. If it was a ref who let things go on the inside, he'd just have turned his back the way he did last night.
More lenient reffing wouldn't have changed anything, I agree. Mayweather was just several classes above.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just watched it again from beginning to end. It was very competitive for the first 7 rounds. Floyd's strategy obviously began to pay off after that but it wasn't really til round 9 when Conor's cardio fell off a cliff.

Oggmonster

Yep. I lost a lot of respect for Aldo there. He's obviously still butt hurt at getting knocked out by Conor.
Aldo is horribly bitter guy just comes across awfully. Compare his reaction to likes of Alvarez and it looks worse. He's always been bitter about the 13 second loss.

People can dislike conor etc fair enough but he handled loss on every occasion with class. Aldo has a case of the Ronda Rousey's it seems like.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Just watched it again from beginning to end. It was very competitive for the first 7 rounds. Floyd's strategy obviously began to pay off after that but it wasn't really til round 9 when Conor's cardio fell off a cliff.
I dunno, he fell off a cliff about round nine but from around the 5th round onwards Mayweather was largely toying with him and picking him off at ease. McGregor was getting in occasional attacking flurries but wasn't connecting with much that was actually dangerous at all. His jab was decent but his punches were fairly weak and not having much of an effect.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Lasted about seven rounds longer than I thought he would, won more rounds than I thought he would and went out on his feet. I guess that counts as a good performance.

Mind you, it says a lot about how silly the fight was that someone that clearly outclassed can be considered to have done well.

I wasn't expecting him to gas so easily and quickly again, mind. He really needs to get that sorted.

Deleted member 101472

More lenient reffing wouldn't have changed anything, I agree. Mayweather was just several classes above.
It's actually crazy when you think how similar the mcgregor Hatton narratives are. Who am I talking about here.

"Severe underdog goes up against a boxing great, mocks him in a press tour and brings a legion of countrymen to cheer him on in Las Vegas"

The Mayweather hatton build up was brilliant, and the 24/7 footage was properly directed documentary stuff. They focussed a lot on floyds uncle roger and Ricky's trainer Billy, who I believe tried to sue hatton years after they parted ways.

Deleted member 101472

Whatever you think of the fight and whether it was a set up, Floyd landed some very powerful shots that didn't knock conor down. The tv screens didn't lie, Floyd let rip on more than a few occasions. Conor can really take a punch.

Mayweather on the other hand might have the most underrated chin in the sport. He's only been clocked full on a few times but feck he can take it

Deleted member 101472

Aldo is horribly bitter guy just comes across awfully. Compare his reaction to likes of Alvarez and it looks worse. He's always been bitter about the 13 second loss.

People can dislike conor etc fair enough but he handled loss on every occasion with class. Aldo has a case of the Ronda Rousey's it seems like.
Aldo isn't a wealthy man. He's doing what he thinks he needs to do to get another fight with Conor. Mcgregor won't go near him again, he'd be giving him an undeserved payday.

SirAF

Ageist
It's actually crazy when you think how similar the mcgregor Hatton narratives are. Who am I talking about here.

"Severe underdog goes up against a boxing great, mocks him in a press tour and brings a legion of countrymen to cheer him on in Las Vegas"

The Mayweather hatton build up was brilliant, and the 24/7 footage was properly directed documentary stuff. They focussed a lot on floyds uncle roger and Ricky's trainer Billy, who I believe tried to sue hatton years after they parted ways.
Is this available somewhere?

Dominos

Mcgregor hardly set a crazy pace in the early rounds. He could have gone full Maidana where it looked like his life depended on getting him out of there early.

He was actually fairly sensible with his output, didn't swing wild, and he still gassed early. His cardio really is just that poor unfortunately. Looking back, since he was going to gas anyway, he maybe should have left absolutely everything in the first 3 rounds and accepted if he doesn't get it done then he's getting stopped very soon after.

For all those laughing at the difference in class, what stopped this being somewhat close realistically was their respective gas tanks. You can take credit away from Mcgregor by saying Mayweather gave up the early rounds, but he did so because he must have recognised there was a risk in exchanging at the early stages, and it would take time to figure out Conor's awkwardness, speed, range, height and reach. The plan to let Conor gas was obviously correct, but he wouldn't have needed to if he was confident he could go out there and school him from the first bell with absolutely no risk. He also got punched in the face several times, which he wouldn't let happen on purpose, even if he's conceding rounds, the plan would always be to not get touched.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
McGregor is a hell of an athlete and you have to respect anyone willing to curb their instinct and go from MMA to boxing on such a large platform.

But with nothing to lose, a shitload of money to gain and the fact that in reality he actually had no place in that ring for Mayweather's last fling...It panned out like any boxing enthuiast would imagine.

I think if Mcgregor had gone into this clash with more boxing experience, i.e other fights against other (shit) professionals at the very least, maybe he wouldn't have gassed out like he did - still wouldn't have won but certainly would've brought more to the table mid-fight. But the two men walk away having lost nothing, a hell of a pay cheque and they still remain iconic characters in their own game.

McGregor as an MMA fighter, in my opinion is unbelievable. He has so many tools in his locker. But Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring, he did it 49 times and he was always doing it the 50th time. Whether it was 1st, 10th or 12th that man knew how to win that fight, as he has done in every fight.

I'd like to see Conor fight Amir Khan, I think that's one fight he could win under boxing rules - won't happen of course.

G-manc

I think Hatton was favourite for both all things considered.

As a fighter, one of the best in his division during that era.

I'm more referring to his boxing IQ. It was non existent, and as soon as he was matched against a fighter not over the hill, and not of a custom made style for him to benefit from, he looked just as much of a newcomer to boxing as mcgregor did last night. Go back and objectively decide which was more powerful, some of the right hands mcgregor ate last night, or the stepping back left hand that Mayweather used to put down hatton.

I remember hattons trainer in the build up to that fight speaking to the referee and pretty much begging him to let Hatton do work in the clench (which he was excellent at, albeit borderline illegal most of the time) which was an admission that he just didn't have the necessary technique to engage properly against an elite opponent.

Excellent brawler, occasionally good body shots but a fecking god awful pugilist.
His win over Tszyu was messy & reckless but probably what was needed on the night rather than being on the end of Tszyu's punches. Unfortunately he seemed to think that was the best way to fight from then on. He did box excellently against Malignaggi but that was under the tutelage of Floyd Snr. If you watch the build up to that fight you can see he had more ability to box than he displayed in general over his career.

His work was much better when he gave himself a bit of room. The punch i always thought he didn't throw correctly was the straight right which he threw bent and never extended.

Deleted member 101472

Just made up my own version of the mcgrehor song sitting on the pan

There's only one Conor mcgregor
But Turns out someone's better
And he got schooled
Off Floyd Mayweather

And it was clear to see
That he was out of his depth
As he got rocked with the a right
And then got stopped with a left

Marcelinho87

Even now McGregor seems a little deluded saying it was just his energy that dipped and not the punches causing him to wobble. If the ref had not stepped in, he was going to hit the floor and be possibly seriously hurt.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I tried to make it to Manchester for the Kostya fight, and I'm pretty sure Hatton was the underdog with the bookies at the time. You should try watching some of Hatton's early fights. The mauling approach only really took root from the Kostya fight onwards.

Regardless, no one would argue that Hatton was a technical wizard. But he was effective at what he did. He was also, ironically, hurt by his own fans during the Mayweather fight. They booed the US anthem and Joe Cortez, being an unprofessional asshole, penalised at him at every possible juncture as a result.
He didn't though, he enforced the rules, I remember Billy Graham trying to BS Cortez into allowing. All Hatton's wrestling and hit and hold tactics had been allowed despite breaking the rules prior to that but under his own promotion they let him get away with it.

Anyway Witter and Vanzie would of beat Hatton at 140 for the British Title, but instead of defending that he he ducked them dumping the genuine title it and picking up the fake WBU title for 5 years.

G-manc

He didn't though, he enforced the rules, I remember Billy Graham trying to BS Cortez into allowing. All Hatton's wrestling and hit and hold tactics had been allowed despite breaking the rules prior to that but under his own promotion they let him get away with it.

Anyway Witter and Vanzie would of beat Hatton at 140 for the British Title, but instead of defending that he he ducked them dumping the genuine title it and picking up the fake WBU title for 5 years.
Bobby Vanzie - give over.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Whatever you think of the fight and whether it was a set up, Floyd landed some very powerful shots that didn't knock conor down. The tv screens didn't lie, Floyd let rip on more than a few occasions. Conor can really take a punch.

Mayweather on the other hand might have the most underrated chin in the sport. He's only been clocked full on a few times but feck he can take it
Mayweather is considered borderline feather fisted. He also doesn't put his full weight behind his shots in fear that his brittle hands will break

The Bloody-Nine

He admitted that the booing of the anthem pissed him off and affected his judgement.

As for Witter, meh, maybe. Shame the fight didn't happen. Vanzie, though? LOLZ.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Bobby Vanzie - give over.
Vanzie would of outsped and outboxed Hatton. Hatton stayed well away from anyone who wasn't old, past it, small, slow for years. You can see why after seeing Magee put him down, feather fisted Collazo had him ready to go with the same shot and that southpaw right hook and Pacquaio take him out with the same right hook too.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Full fight here...watch it while its still up.

:lol: McGregor with the hammer fists! I take it that's not something you see very often in boxing...

The Bloody-Nine

Vanzie would of outsped and outboxed Hatton. Hatton stayed well away from anyone who wasn't old, past it, small, slow for years. You can see why after seeing Magee put him down, feather fisted Collazo had him ready to go with the same shot and that southpaw right hook and Pacquaio take him out with the same right hook too.
Vanzie was a domestic level nobody. He lost twice to Graham Earl for christ sake.

G-manc

He was a career lightweight and and whether you think he was overrated or not Hatton would have cut him in half.

Last i heard of Vanzie he was supposedly fighting bare-knuckle weighing 15st.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Not by anyone who has been punched by him.
Like I say borderline, especially when he's scared of hurting his hands, which is most of the time

He admitted that the booing of the anthem pissed him off and affected his judgement.
I didn't hear that, I remember rabid Hatton fans incenced the rules had been enforced. I mean those are the rules, what do you expect?

As for Witter, meh, maybe. Shame the fight didn't happen. Vanzie, though? LOLZ.
Vanzie was a better boxer than Hatton, much quicker, better defense, better use of angles and distance. Got robbed against Earl twice for the British title, easily won 9-10 rounds in the second bout and the ref/judge still gave it to Earl. Very obvious boxing corruption. No would give him a shot after that because they knew how good he was and he didn't bring fanbase to the table. Sad story really.

Witter and Vanzie went 1-1 in the amateurs, their dads didn't like each other

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
He was a career lightweight and and whether you think he was overrated or not Hatton would have cut him in half.

Last i heard of Vanzie he was supposedly fighting bare-knuckle weighing 15st.
Vanzie was a big lightweight who struggled to make lightweight and wanted Hatton for years, during the time Hatton hadn't fought anyone. Hatton didn't want anything to do with him.

After Vanzie got robbed of his British title no lightweight or light welter would touch him with a barge poll.

The Bloody-Nine

How do you explain Vanzie never even winning a European title, out of interest? Never mind a world title.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
How do you explain Vanzie never even winning a European title, out of interest? Never mind a world title.
Succeeding in boxing is about opportunity. You get opportunities based on fanbase. Vanzie had no fanbase and had to go and fight in other fighters hometown on their promotions. Vanzie got robbed several times and that completely derailed his career. No one would give a shot after that. If Vanzie had the luxury of picking and choosing opponents, cherry picking weak world title belt holders, he'd have won titles. I mean he has an amateur win over a world champion. He didn't have that luxury though and no one wanted to fight him.

European lightweight champ was Cook who wouldn't fight Vanzie

G-manc

Vanzie was a big lightweight who struggled to make lightweight and wanted Hatton for years, during the time Hatton hadn't fought anyone. Hatton didn't want anything to do with him.

After Vanzie got robbed of his British title no lightweight or light welter would touch him with a barge poll.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Vanzie was always vulnerable - he was the sort of fighter i think Hatton would run over. If he struggled to make 135 so badly how come he never moved up to 140 given it was much more of a glamorous division and housed both Hatton and Witter? He was never going to force a fight from a division down.

The Bloody-Nine

Succeeding in boxing is about opportunity. You get opportunities based on fanbase. Vanzie had no fanbase and had to go and fight in other fighters hometown on their promotions. Vanzie got robbed several times and that completely derailed his career. No one would give a shot after that. If Vanzie had the luxury of picking and choosing opponents, cherry picking weak world title belt holders, he'd have won titles. I mean he has an amateur win over a world champion. He didn't have that luxury though and no one wanted to fight him.

European lightweight champ was Cook who wouldn't fight Vanzie
I think you're being very generous in your assessment. You build a fan base by winning fights. Vanzie was a domestic level fighter, nothing more.

With Witter, you have a valid point. Vanzie, though? Preposterous.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Vanzie was always vulnerable - he was the sort of fighter i think Hatton would run over. If he struggled to make 135 so badly how come he never moved up to 140 given it was much more of a glamorous division and housed both Hatton and Witter? He was never going to force a fight from a division down.
He couldn't get a fight at 140, none of them wanted him. Most of Hatton's opponents back then came from 2 divisions down.

G-manc

He couldn't get a fight at 140, none of them wanted him. Most of Hatton's opponents back then came from 2 divisions down.
He couldn't have vacated the 135 British lightweight title and moved to 140 and got ranked domestically? ok

Stephen Smith did that who Vanzie beat.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I think you're being very generous in your assessment. You build a fan base by winning fights. Vanzie was a domestic level fighter, nothing more.

With Witter, you have a valid point. Vanzie, though? Preposterous.
Hatton had a huge fanbase from singing blue moon to City fans long before he beat anyone who was half decent. Black fighters generally find it harder to build a fanbase. Vanzie was British champion and still went to hometowns of nobody fighters with fanbases. Witter was a world champion and didn't have much of a fanbase.

Vanzie went 1-1 with Witter in the amateurs anyway so you can't say Witter was more talented, he wasn't.