g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Also, the atmosphere was shite. So much for McGregor fans being mental, need to take lessons from Hatton's.
I suggest you check some of his UFC fights to see how good the fans can be

Not sure what the story is with last night. A work buddy of mine went over with no intention of getting tickets, but just for a weekend in vegas and get pissed. I'm assuming not many who went over actually got tickets for the fight due to the cost of them.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Does he gas like that in MMA fights? I've only seen the Aldo fight (not a great yard stick since it lasted 13 seconds :lol:) and the two Diaz ones.
Yep. He was fecked in both Diaz fights and the Mendes fight he looked tired too but Mendes fought on 10 days notice so he was even more fecked and Conor was able to put him away after Mendes failed with a couple of takedowns in the 2nd round.

His gas tank has always been a big worry for me so I wasn't surprised one bit he gassed in boxing.

RedRevongge

This is how I saw the fight.

The first few rounds McGregor used his unorthodox style to his advantage. Mayweather had never faced someone like him and it showed. He moved in different ways and managed to use his range well to keep Mayweather at bay.

By around the 4th Round Mayweather came back into it and began to get some level of success.

Ultimately McGregor tired in the later rounds which meant Mayweather was able to pick him off.

I think that this was the best possible outcome for both sports. Mayweather remains undefeated and managed to TKO a guy everyone expected to lose easily. McGregor put on a good show and went deep into the fight against one of the best ever and had his moments early on. Neither fighter took too much damage and the fans had a good show in the end. It doesn't hurt boxing and also improves McGregor's standing.

In terms of the McGregor power I think it shows he is better equipped in MMA where the fighters are not so good defensively so he can hit them more often.I think it has always been his precision which has allowed him to knock people out more than raw power. The gloves also make a big difference as it is easier to defend with 8 oz vs 4 oz. It would have been nice to see it go the distance but at least McGregor wasn't KOd

I do feel McGregor would have been better off coming into the fight 5-7 lbs lighter

Eire Red United

I'm only a casual fan of boxing so I understand someone who is a real fan would look at it differently. But I haven't had anyone make me go watch a fight for a while. Paquiao Mayweather was the last time I went out of my way. But I can't think of anyone right now that I purposely watch other than Lomachencko.
I probably wouldn't even watch enough to be called a casual boxing fan, but I did see Joshua vs big Vlad and I have to say it was an excellent fight between two very good boxers.

Deleted member 101472

It's not an exception to the rule. I said volume punchers throw about a 1000 per fight. It isn't uncommon for it to happen. The average is around 50 per round. McGregor threw 34, 42, 39, 16 & 51 in the first 5. Hardly busy for a boxer.
Exactly.

Kazi

I suggest you check some of his UFC fights to see how good the fans can be

Not sure what the story is with last night. A work buddy of mine went over with no intention of getting tickets, but just for a weekend in vegas and get pissed. I'm assuming not many who went over actually got tickets for the fight due to the cost of them.
Yeah, just saw that there were about 6k empty seats last night, promoters got a bit greedy with the ticket prices

The Bloody-Nine

The event didn't sell out.

Price points for tickets to the heavily hyped Mayweather-McGregor event were $10,000, $7,500, $5,000, $3,500, $2,500, $1,500 and $500. More than 6,000 tickets remained on the secondary market earlier this week and many of those tickets ultimately went unsold.

The last main event at T-Mobile Arena – Canelo Alvarez’s 12-round domination of fellow Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – drew a capacity crowd of 20,510 on May 6. Alvarez-Chavez did not, however, generate nearly as much money in ticket revenue as Mayweather-McGregor because tickets were much cheaper.
http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-mcgregor-sell-out-attendance-only-14623--119884

Andersons Dietician

Does he gas like that in MMA fights? I've only seen the Aldo fight (not a great yard stick since it lasted 13 seconds :lol:) and the two Diaz ones.
Fought Diaz twice at 170lbs and he gassed in the mid rounds first fight he got taken down and submitted 2nd fight he got a second wind and put it on him.
He spoke about it himself in the post fight conference. Saying he needs to find out why and correct it. Says it would also happen in sparring but then when he would realise there is only 2 rounds left he would get his 2nd wind hence why he would rather have been finished than stopped like it was.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think they would've as they would've risked getting hit themselves.
Styles make fights. Pacquiao - McGregor would have played out like Pacquiao - De La Hoya I think. Manny' footwork is really really good and he would have been able to evade McGregor quite easily I think and throw his punches in bunches to counter. Probably would stop him in the middle round as McGregor is a lot bigger and could take his power for a while. I think Canelo would stop him quicker as he a closer to McGregor's size and could walk through his weak punches and drop bombs through his poor defence.

Andersons Dietician

It's more a case of Floyd being 40, taking zeros risks and playing with his food than McGregor 'making a fight of it'. Pacquaio or Alvarez would of taken Connor out inside 3rounds
I was saying the same thing. Watched it with some of my mates last night two of them have been national champions one tried out for our Olympic team was a British and Irish amateur champ so on and they were all impressed with what Connor did last night as they thought it would be a one sided beating.
It pretty much went how I expected it to go but in agreement if it was GGG, Canello Brooke's,Spence anyone like that they would have put Connor to sleep.
Floyd is a fairly safe fight really and even more so at 40 now. If Connor wanted to box again it should only be Paulie. He'd get marked by anyone else.

Classical Mechanic

I was saying the same thing. Watched it with some of my mates last night two of them have been national champions one tried out for our Olympic team was a British and Irish amateur champ so on and they were all impressed with what Connor did last night as they thought it would be a one sided beating.
It pretty much went how I expected it to go but in agreement if it was GGG, Canello Brooke's,Spence anyone like that they would have put Connor to sleep.
Floyd is a fairly safe fight really and even more so at 40 now. If Connor wanted to box again it should only be Paulie. He'd get marked by anyone else.
That's why the whole Paulie business looks so suspicious. He is like the perfect opponent for McGregor. He is totally shot, a lot smaller, hasn't the strength or power to keep him off and he has the motormouth and personality to sell the fight.

They can also sell him as a 'former world champion'.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Conor's problem last night was the same problem he has in MMA. His cardio isn't as good as it should be and he is susceptible to gassing, so once he gets tagged a few times (like Nate did during the first fight), he tends to become vulnerable to getting finished off. Same situation with his performance against Floyd last night.

Andersons Dietician

That's why the whole Paulie business looks so suspicious. He is like the perfect opponent for McGregor. He is totally shot, a lot smaller, hasn't the strength or power to keep him off and he has the motormouth and personality to sell the fight.
Yeah and going by Paulie's antics this week it looks like he is trying to manufacture it in to existence. To be honest if Connor was to go back in to boxing that's the only fight I'd be interested in seeing. The rest would be like watching someone go for an execution.
Problem is tho the 145lb division and the 155lb division in UFC is full of murderers right now and far more dangerous fights than Floyd or Paulie. I'd guess he'd still get really well paid for a Paulie fight especially if he is promoter. Probably get close to 100mil but he'd probably only get 10-15mil for fighting these absolute killers. I know which one I'd prefer to take.

Green_Red

Boxing hasn't actually been "buzzing" for a long time. The odd sporadic fight of the decade candidate, but if you watch it regularly and not just on a huge PPV night you'd know there were lots of exciting fights at almost all the weight classes, it's just the names are completely unknown.

There was a fight a few years ago that went completely under the radar, as did the narrative for it. James Kirkland was essentially a middleweight Mike Tyson (in terms of character, not skill) and when he fought canelo it was a dream match up for me. Heavy hitting, brash American without a care for defence against a Mexican warrior. The first few rounds of that fight were worth the $100 people stateside had to pay last night, yet most people wouldn't even know it had ever taken place. The sport isn't getting the wider coverage but for those involved, it's still a cash cow albeit the hype has to be built up over a longer time now. Just wait until a few years pass, Anthony Joshua has defended his title and Deontay wilder is still undefeated. Both fighters will make more than any ufc fighter ever could.

Also, I'm sure you're aware but canelo and gennady golovkin fight next month in what has the potential to be one of the best fights of all time. People might laugh at that, but styles make fights and there isn't a hope in hell of a back Step in that fight.
Cheers for putting me onto that one, I'll definitely take a look. Is there a website somewhere that can keep me up to date with what's worth watching etc.?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Fair play to McGregor, spoke quite well there even though I don't agree with him that it was simply fatigue which beat him.

Also, he'd be a lot more endearing if he adopted that nature prior to fights instead of having his head up his own arse. Funny how he only ever seems to be gracious in defeat.

Genuinely hope it calms him down a bit now and he reigns his ego in a touch.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Fair play to McGregor, spoke quite well there even though I don't agree with him that it was simply fatigue which beat him.

Also, he'd be a lot more endearing if he adopted that nature prior to fights instead of having his head up his own arse. Funny how he only ever seems to be gracious in defeat.

Genuinely hope it calms him down a bit now and he reigns his ego in a touch.
He is also nearly always gracious in victory too

It's only when promoting a fight he is crazy

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He is also nearly always gracious in victory too

It's only when promoting a fight he is crazy
I don't know, man. We've seen him being arrogant post-victory, too.

The way I see it, he has his core fans now and they're onboard for life. If he toned down the bullishness, the egomania and was a little more humble in the build-up to fights, and concentrated on combat rather than money, he'd have a lot of fight fans willing to back him. For such a talented and hardworking fighter, he shouldn't be this devisive among the fanbase.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
@Giant Midget

How was that river so clear? Uninterrupted, flawess
Pretty legit, wasn't it? The guy who runs it has two channels: a public one (has a viewer limit which gets filled up pretty quickly), and a private one, which is the one I shared.

Drop me a PM if you want to get access to the private stream on a regular basis.

Deleted member 101472

Pretty legit, wasn't it? The guy who runs it has two channels: a public one (has a viewer limit which gets filled up pretty quickly), and a private one, which is the one I shared.

Drop me a PM if you want to get access to the private stream on a regular basis.
It was perfect. I refused to pay for the fight mostly because the undercard was so shit.

Felt bad in this thread between rounds when people were reporting their streams down. Didn't want to compromise my own viewing so chose not to spread the good word haha

parkthebuslads

I don't watch much MMA/Boxing but it seems really weird to me the way CM just goes after 10 minutes or so. Is it the weight cutting? There must be something wrong with him surely, as a pro athlete, or am I missing something?:confused:

Deleted member 101472

@Green_Red

Just a suggestion, but if you want to gauge whether boxing is a sport you want to dedicate more time to, go and watch the full mayweather vs de la Hoya fight, and pick who you genuinely thought won the fight. Who you choose will probably deem whether or not you're best suited to casual viewing or getting really into it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't watch much MMA/Boxing but it seems really weird to me the way CM just goes after 10 minutes or so. Is it the weight cutting? There must be something wrong with him surely, as a pro athlete, or am I missing something?:confused:
His endurance and cardio aren't where they should be. Also, I don't think his chin is as strong as it could be. He can definitely improve the former, not sure if its possible to improve the latter.

The Bloody-Nine

@Green_Red

Just a suggestion, but if you want to gauge whether boxing is a sport you want to dedicate more time to, go and watch the full mayweather vs de la Hoya fight, and pick who you genuinely thought won the fight. Who you choose will probably deem whether or not you're best suited to casual viewing or getting really into it.
I don't agree with that at all. The only way you can get into it is by watching it. And the more you watch, the more you pick up, meaning you'll be better placed to score a fight.

cyberman

In MMA every shot be it punches or kicks will hurt you so you use a lot of energy on the defensive side. Concentrating on take-down defenders etc takes a lot more out of you.
Top level boxer's can relax in similar situations and conserve, it's not something you can adapt to in a few months.
McGregor should never have been jumping about dodging nothing jabs last night, he's expanding twice the energy Floyd does throughout the fight.

Deleted member 101472

I don't agree with that at all. The only way you can get into it is by watching it. And the more you watch, the more you pick up, meaning you'll be better placed to score a fight.
It's as good a fight as any to work out what impresses you as a viewer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've a feeling the prices of tickets for last night etc were a lot more expensive than for the Hatton fight. If so that's definitely what it was down too. Nearly all of the lads I know who follow McGregor's UFC exploits go to all his fights etc, didn't go to this at all. It was interesting how the atmosphere was 1000 times better for the weigh in than the actual fight.
Aye better atmosphere with 1000's of English yobs running about supporting a mediocre boxer.

Know two different friends that went last night. Said the atmosphere was good.

I thought the undercards were shite. Empty arena. Should have been handled differently.

GiddyUp

I kind of enjoyed the whole experience. The few things I took away from it are boxing purists are snobs, this was entertainment pure and simple. Yet most boxing fans took no enjoyment whatsoever, moaning and condescending is all I have heard for the last few weeks. This was nothing more than a nice Saturday night out under boxing rules (except 8oz gloves) for fans of the man/villan that has brought MMA to the attention of the masses and the man/villan that has in my opinion carried the sport (non boxing fans would be hard pressed to name three fighters incl. Floyed)even though he has retired. There will always be truly unbelievable fighters out there but not global phenomenons like boxers of old or McGregor.

Mayweather walks away enhancing an already exceptional boxing reputation and more zeros then any off us could dream of. He was called out and Mayweathered the feck out of Connor. His trash talk early on was cringeworthy but as we got closer to the event he became more focused and humble. He did exactly what we all expected, incl. Mcgregor and MMA fans, a truly great champion but still 49-0 in my eyes. I also loved the exchange between his father and Connor, hilarious.
McGregor conceded everything to boxing and had the balls and the ego to go where very few would venture. There is in my eyes nothing negative that McGregor can take away from this. He has at least tripled his net worth and will go back to the UFC a better fighter. If there is one thing about McGregor it's that he will learn a lot from this experience and now that he has publicly spoken about his stamina issue being a big continuing concern he will somewhat correct it and become a more intelligent fighter.

Without starting an argument I would like to finish by saying boxing fans should lighten the feck up. Everything was conceded to you're sport and all I heard for weeks was he wouldn't land a shot and he wouldn't win a round. He landed a shot or two and won at most three rounds, a decent run out for an amateur boxer against a fighting legend like Floyd.I fecking love boxing and was not surprised by last night but let's be honest, the sport has fallen away over the last few years and could do with an injection of a few McGregor/Mayweathere types.
MMA and McGregor fans hoped for nothing more than an early KO as that was Connors only chance of a victory here but they didn't get their knickers in a knot over it the way boxing fans did. Maybe the UFC should invite a boxer to compete in a big money MMA fight, let some of these up their own ass boxing purists have a bit of fun, Malinaggi v Edgar would be something I would pay for but some of you guys with a more extensive knowledge of boxing could come up with a more suitable match up. Taking in to consideration the PPV and the need to have a big promotion for a fight like this that in its essence is entertainment who would be you're pick?

The Bloody-Nine

Aye better atmosphere with 1000's of English yobs running about supporting a mediocre boxer.

Know two different friends that went last night. Said the atmosphere was good.

I thought the undercards were shite. Empty arena. Should have been handled differently.
Mediocre? Jesus. That would be lineal 140 pound champion, and 147 pound belt holder Ricky Hatton. A guy who only lost to two all time greats in Mayweather and Pac (discounting his ill advised comeback).

Tough crowd.

Paxi

feck me! I think 80% of people only watched Mayweather once, maybe twice.

fecking laughable.

Paxi

Mediocre? Jesus. That would be lineal 140 pound champion, and 147 pound belt holder Ricky Hatton. A guy who only lost to two all time greats in Mayweather and Pac (discounting his ill advised comeback).

Tough crowd.

Yeah he's was quite clearly average against Mayweather. A boxer who instead of taking advantage of first few very good rounds... A guy turned into a fecking brawler. If that's boxing prowess then I'm fecked.