g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Can someone explain the stamina issue? Why was Conor gassed so much faster than Mayweather? Surely if there's one thing you can be as good at as your opponent it's stamina? (Compared to natural talent, experience etc)
He's never done 12 rounds before, it's hard to train properly for something when you don't understand what it feels like. Then he put on 15lbs after the weigh in and came to the ring at 170. He went at it hard in the early rounds and spent all his energy when Floyd didn't. It's just that really. Add in a natural cardio issue and that's it.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
All over now. Time for all to pack up our camping gear and head back to our natural environments, some to The Boxing Thread, rest to The MMA Thread. It's being quite the ride these last few months us all being camped out in the same thread but time to bid farewell.

All the best & safe journey home.

Fergies Gum

Glad this farce is now over. Been cringe worthy to see this circus unfold over the last few months.

Green_Red

How many rounds did you lot think McGregor took? I had him as winning a couple, possibly three at a push.
I think there for sure, 1 more disputable. The fourth I think he won was one of those that could have been scored differently by different refs.

He had a good go though.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
A lot of people picked McGregor to win solely because of his nationality. You reckon if he was South African the Irish lads would have picked him to win?
Seems to me a lot of people from the uk, USA, and other countries picked McGregor too or were at least rooting for him

Obviously In this country with him being Irish he had a lot of fans. Not sure why this is hard to understand for some people

The Bloody-Nine

Seems to me a lot of people from the uk, USA, and other countries picked McGregor too or were at least rooting for him

Obviously In this country with him being Irish he had a lot of fans. Not sure why this is hard to understand for some people
It isn't. Read the post I replied to.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
A lot of people picked McGregor to win solely because of his nationality. You reckon if he was South African the Irish lads would have picked him to win?
A lot of people didn't want him to win because he was Irish too, I'd say.

I mean what was the story with the people that wanted McGregor's face torn apart, kissing the canvas etc just because they deemed him a mouthpiece. Same people were totally ignoring what Mayweather was outside of the ropes. I'd love to know the real reason for the hatred towards McGregor with a certain few.

The Bloody-Nine

A lot of people didn't want him to win because he was Irish too, I'd say.

I mean what was the story with the people that wanted McGregor's face torn apart etc just because they deemed him a mouthpiece. Same people were totally ignoring what Mayweather was outside of the ropes.
As you say, he's a mouthpiece. When your entire act is being an arrogant, boastful twat, don't be surprised when people want you to get your ass handed to you. He basically lifted Mayweather's act.

It's made both of them a lot of money, mind you.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
:lol: so predicable. They really made a fool of all those people who spent their hard earned money to watch this farce.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Who are these non Irish McGregor fans? I can't say I know any. That's not to say they don't exist.
Have you not been paying attention to the last few weeks?

Every press conference McGregor was by far the more popular man. Not one of these were in Ireland

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
:lol: so predicable. They really made a fool of all those people who spent their hard earned money to watch this farce.
Majority of people that follow McGregor in Ireland are either on the Dole or Tax evaders like myself. So the hard earned money part wouldn't really apply here.

The Bloody-Nine

Have you not been paying attention to the last few weeks?

Every press conference McGregor was by far the more popular man. Not one of these were in Ireland
There are Irish people in every country on the planet. Especially in North America.

There was also the MMA vs boxing thing. MMA fans were obviously going to root for McGregor. That doesn't necessarily make them fans of his.

UpWithRivers

Absolutely screamed pre-arranged to me.
Totally agree. Seems like someone wrote a script. McGregor shows fight in early rounds. The crowd sense an upset. Floyd comes through strong in the end. It has to do with stamina obviously. And the fight gets stopped before any damage is done.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Majority of people that follow McGregor in Ireland are either on the Dole or Tax evaders like myself. So the hard earned money part wouldn't really apply here.
:lol: fair enough mate.

Deleted member 101472

I tried to think of ways that mcgregor had a chance in the lead up to this, but the gap in skill quality was so big it made for an incredibly difficult to watch encounter. As soon as mayweather walked through Conor's uppercut, I wanted it to end to save Conor the embarrassment. By all accounts I am a massive Conor fan in the UFC and he's easily the best thing that ever happened to the sport but this wasn't close. Unfortunately the most likely explanation for the first two rounds was mayweather simply carrying him, and being able to pass it off as "figuring him out".

You've got to love the New experts on social media though, watch one exhibition fight and they can tell you that mcgregor was unlucky and looked brilliant. He didnt.

Moonred

Who are these non Irish McGregor fans? I can't say I know any. That's not to say they don't exist.
There's plenty. Boxing is a dying sport in large parts of the wider world. Conor and MMA has garnered a lot of followers in the recent past. I see a lot of kids and teenagers enamoured by fook this fook that. I have no doubt Conor does have a huge pull with plenty of the new generation and it showed in the past few months even more. Credit to him there.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
There are Irish people in every country on the planet. Especially in North America.

There was also the MMA vs boxing thing. MMA fans were obviously going to root for McGregor. That doesn't necessarily make them fans of his.

Not sure why I made the effort to attempt to engage with you. You said you were not aware of any non Irish McGregor fans and I pointed out you are clearly incorrect

The Bloody-Nine

There's plenty. Boxing is a dying sport in large parts of the wider world. Conor and MMA has garnered a lot of followers in the recent past. I see a lot of kids and teenagers enamoured by fook this fook that. I have no doubt Conor does has a huge pull with plenty of the new generations and it showed in the past few months even more. Credit to him there.
Fair enough. I don't agree with you that boxing is dying anywhere, though.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I tried to think of ways that mcgregor had a chance in the lead up to this, but the gap in skill quality was so big it made for an incredibly difficult to watch encounter. As soon as mayweather walked through Conor's uppercut, I wanted it to end to save Conor the embarrassment. By all accounts I am a massive Conor fan in the UFC and he's easily the best thing that ever happened to the sport but this wasn't close. Unfortunately the most likely explanation for the first two rounds was mayweather simply carrying him, and being able to pass it off as "figuring him out".

You've got to love the New experts on social media though, watch one exhibition fight and they can tell you that mcgregor was unlucky and looked brilliant. He didnt.
Pretty much agree with this. Said it before the fight that professional boxers haven't got close to beating him, there's no way in hell a mma fighter who never had been in a boxing ring before was going to win. He simply never had that skillset.

The Bloody-Nine

Not sure why I made the effort to attempt to engage with you. You said you were not aware of any non Irish McGregor fans and I pointed out you are clearly incorrect
I didn't say they don't exist. In fact, I specifically stated "that's not to say they don't exist". How exactly was I incorrect?

The Bloody-Nine

I guess dying wasn't the best word. Boxing is probably as it was but MMA has gotten a lot of pull in recent times and is a threat in the short term.
MMA has certainly grown in recent years. It's pretty crazy when you think back to its origins, when it was shunned and illegal in a lot of places.

Plenty of room for both sports.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I didn't say they don't exist. In fact, I specifically stated "that's not to say they don't exist". How exactly was I incorrect?
You said you were not aware of any non Irish McGregor fans?

I pointed out there clearly is quite a few. now you are aware. that's fine. You live and learn

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What do y'all think about Mayweathers woman-beating history? Do you respect the man's career less because of it?

Deleted member 101472

What do y'all think about Mayweathers woman-beating history? Do you respect the man's career less because of it?
I respect the man less. The career no, he'll go down as one of the greatest defensive fighters ever but as long as people don't have too short memories, whilst he's still alive he should be considered as a fighter who went 49.5-0

Moonred

I don't have any respect for him as a man. But his boxing career is royalty. it's not something that I can use to belittle his career but I will have a fecking laugh if he went bankrupt tomorrow which I wouldn't otherwise.

Green_Red

Fair enough. I don't agree with you that boxing is dying anywhere, though.
Given there were 2 or 3 title bouts on the underused of this fight that were as about exciting as watching paint dry tells you everything about boxing and where it's at right now. That's pretty much what sport boils down to, the popularity of the stars. No doubt when Lomachenko starts getting title fights that will change completely because he's exciting as you can get. Other than that boxing is going through a real dry patch when it comes to legitimate stars.

Deleted member 101472

Given there were 2 or 3 title bouts on the underused of this fight that were as about exciting as watching paint dry tells you everything about boxing and where it's at right now. That's pretty much what sport boils down to, the popularity of the stars. No doubt when Lomachenko starts getting title fights that will change completely because he's exciting as you can get. Other than that boxing is going through a real dry patch when it comes to legitimate stars.
When would you say the last time was that boxing wasn't in a dry patch?