Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Greck

depends on what protocols are used and if the players can show the measures were not good enough.Government approval has nothing to do with it.
Government approval is about not flouting any lockdown restrictions vis a vis small to medium gatherings in place at the time. I'd think going against that would get any employer in trouble. Also what do you mean "depends on what protocols are used"? The outlined protocols like the ones Germany are very good and will likely be replicated in most leagues. Do you have examples in mind of bad/negligent protocols for restarting the league being floated?

Last edited:

Sad Chris

Last post of the day (as do not have enough likes). But my thoughts are is a ‘neutral’ stadium really going to be much more safe than a ‘home/away’ game. Most normal people will follow guidance and stay away but you still going to get the idiots going to the outside of the selected neutral stadium. I say play the games at the stadiums they should be played at for 90mins. If that’s not possible then finish the season now on positions (if they think season 2020/21 has a better chance?) and award liverpool the title. Relegate the bottom three.

feels like the clubs or players want to have their cake and eat it to.
Don‘t see your likes increasing soon with posts like this.

RedDevil@84

Love this. Fill up all the seats with thousands of cardboard cutouts of fans and then have "Canned cheers" and "canned abuses" playing out of stadium speakers to create the right atmosphere as players play out 35 min halves of football and relegation teams chill out as they are not getting relegated.

Integrity of football "saved"

90 + 5min

Awesome, pair it with this and it's like real football's back!

Like seeing graphics in sports games in early 90’. Some catchy music during games and young generation will know how it was to play games. The only thing that is missing is cameras from above during whole games but surly it can be done and be more safe.

90 + 5min

Love this. Fill up all the seats with thousands of cardboard cutouts of fans and then have "Canned cheers" and "canned abuses" playing out of stadium speakers to create the right atmosphere as players play out 35 min halves of football and relegation teams chill out as they are not getting relegated.

I would love to hear it once. Just to hear abuses. Just thinking about ManUtd - Liverpool as example.
Would that be every time away team have ball in natural stadiums? This is starting to be pure comedy.

LisburnWhite

Don't worry as we will have the privilege of seeing 5 substitutions in the last 5 minutes to uphold the values of this noble game.

Member 101269

I’m finding it very strange that Prof. Ferguson has stepped back at the same time different rules are being agreed with the PL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Last post of the day (as do not have enough likes). But my thoughts are is a ‘neutral’ stadium really going to be much more safe than a ‘home/away’ game. Most normal people will follow guidance and stay away but you still going to get the idiots going to the outside of the selected neutral stadium. I say play the games at the stadiums they should be played at for 90mins. If that’s not possible then finish the season now on positions (if they think season 2020/21 has a better chance?) and award liverpool the title. Relegate the bottom three.

:lol:

What an arsewipe view.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They didn't void the league in Holland .

I genuinely can't believe the amount of people that think there is any chance that the Premier League will void the season. It would be financial suicide to do this!

in Holland they finished the season with the current table. Just as they did in France. The difference is one league had a clear leader and one didnt.

Liverpool ladies team haven't said they want to void the season.

One of the most staggering things to come out of this discussion over the last few weeks is the amount of people that don't understand the meaning and consequences of null and void.
You do know that in the event of curtailing, it is highly unlikely that Sky, BT and the other broadcasters will pay out, right?

Redcy

Government approval is about not flouting any lockdown restrictions vis a vis small to medium gatherings in place at the time. I'd think going against that would get any employer in trouble. Also what do you mean "depends on what protocols are used"? The outlined protocols like the ones Germany are very good and will likely be replicated in most leagues. Do you have examples of bad/negligent protocols for restarting the league being floated?
while they have given some outlines I haven’t seen details? For example if one of the protocols was contentious and players are told it’s ok then they catch the virus during a game, then there would be the potential for suits. It’s all about whether your employer could have known it was putting you at risk unnecessarily and if you can get a judge to agree with you.

imagine a player scholes, aged 24,, catches it, his lungs are fecked and he can’t play football again? The club knows the risks, the player says he isn’t happy, the club say play or you are done (as people have said in here),if any of the protocols don’t stand up he can sue.
It has nothing to with government because they will not decide protocols they will say “if it can be done safely”

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I am not sure anyone is claiming its safe, it is weighing pros and cons.

The safest thing is for everyone to spend the next 18 months at home but there are other considerations.
But football literally is non essential
The government just want to reopen it to deflect from other stuff

stevoc

Not wanting to be relegated before the season has actually ended and to have a fair chance of staying up. Could not be remotely described as wanting to have their cake and eat it.

TEAMPWDLGFGAGDPTS
1Liverpool29271166214582
2Manchester City28183768313757
3Leicester City29165858283053
4Chelsea29146951391248
5Manchester United29129844301445
6Wolverhampton Wanderers29101364134743
7Sheffield United28111073025543
8Tottenham Hotspur29118104740741
9Arsenal2891364036440
10Burnley29116123440-639
11Crystal Palace29109102632-639
12Everton29107123746-937
13Newcastle United2998122541-1635
14Southampton29104153552-1734
15Brighton and Hove Albion29611123240-829
16West Ham United2976163550-1527
17Watford2969142744-1727
18Bournemouth2976162947-1827
19Aston Villa2874173456-2225
20Norwich City2956182552-2721

How can you relegate Bournemouth on the same points as two other teams?

How can you relegate Villa who have a game in hand and potentially leap frog up to 16th if they were given a chance to play it?

Last edited:

stevoc

Don't worry as we will have the privilege of seeing 5 substitutions in the last 5 minutes to uphold the values of this noble game.
Yeah the last 5 minutes of a 40 minute half remember.

Integrity of the sport maintained. Just not sure which sport it would be.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Just watched an interview with a Belgian player of Köln - said they trained all day with the 3 players which have afterwards been confirmed as positive cases. Not sure how one can justify that? His wife is a heart patient too, so he's not eager on playing out the season.

The virus is slowing down but simply hasn't died down fast enough to warrant any restart of a sports competition. We don't even know what the long-term effects on health will be, e.g. lung or heart complications. It's just not worth it for a top professional to sacrifice or risk his entire career to play a few more games because the leagues want them to. It's sad, and everyone wants to see some football ASAP, but it's just not responsible or even justifiable at this moment.

I think there's also a discrepancy between players who don't have anything left to play for (Aguero) and those who do (De Bruyne) regarding their desire to finish the season. Some would say it's an acceptable risk, others wouldn't bother anymore because what's the point.

Member 101269

The equivalent of the violinists playing as the titanic sank; footballers are intended to entertain as the economy sinks.. Don't Panic Don't Panic Don't Panic Mr Mannering..

Redcy

Maybe one of the german lads can comment but I dont understand why they have delayed by a week. Is it because of the 10 cases, because they have said its to ensure a quarantine of 14 days. If that is the case what happens when you get another 10 cases, I though the point was that they didnt care if there were individual players with the virus, the games would go on?

Redcy

Not wanting to be relegated before the season has actually ended and to have a fair chance of staying up. Could not be remotely described as wanting to have their cake and eat it.

TEAMPWDLGFGAGDPTS
1Liverpool29271166214582
2Manchester City28183768313757
3Leicester City29165858283053
4Chelsea29146951391248
5Manchester United29129844301445
6Wolverhampton Wanderers29101364134743
7Sheffield United28111073025543
8Tottenham Hotspur29118104740741
9Arsenal2891364036440
10Burnley29116123440-639
11Crystal Palace29109102632-639
12Everton29107123746-937
13Newcastle United2998122541-1635
14Southampton29104153552-1734
15Brighton and Hove Albion29611123240-829
16West Ham United2976163550-1527
17Watford2969142744-1727
18Bournemouth2976162947-1827
19Aston Villa2874173456-2225
20Norwich City2956182552-2721

How can you relegate Bournemouth on the same points as two other teams?

How can you relegate Villa who have a game in hand and potentially leap frog up to 16th if they were given a chance to play it?
We know they won't do that, it would literally be madness. They will want to do no relegation, crown liverpool as champions and have done with it, not sure how that works with the promotions, but in theory they don't have to do it. It would be easier to say no promotions, than relegate based on that table. I didn't think they would push through games, but now I can see thats what they will try to do regardless of the problems it might cause. That way at least noone could complain really, yes they will ignore the issues of the neutral grounds, etc. This is arguably good news for us, as we benefit from playing against a lot of teams who are out of form anyway, etc. Not sure I think its a good idea, based on the limited information they have put out, but I can see the logic of finishing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It feels very irresponsible that clubs are beginning training or asking their players to return to begin training if there is no decision yet on when footballing starts again.

EDIT: A lot of discussion about fairness but I don't understand how anyone can find it fair that a club could be relegated because the season has changed to shorter halves, more subs and different venues. That isn't just one alteration to a competition, it's several. One of them damages the integrity of what happens and it would be madness for them to go ahead with several. The whole point of the way the competition is structured currently is to try and not give unfair advantages or influence game outcomes. By altering rules they are influencing the games that still need to go ahead and I'd be very pissed off if I was a club in the relegation zone.

Take the shorter halves rule for example. There was a stat which showed that if Wolves only played the first half of their game they'd be in the bottom half. If they only played the second half they'd be very high in the table. There are clubs who perform better the more they grow into a game and vice versa. It's completely unfair to influence that.

Last edited:

stevoc

We know they won't do that, it would literally be madness. They will want to do no relegation, crown liverpool as champions and have done with it, not sure how that works with the promotions, but in theory they don't have to do it. It would be easier to say no promotions, than relegate based on that table. I didn't think they would push through games, but now I can see thats what they will try to do regardless of the problems it might cause. That way at least noone could complain really, yes they will ignore the issues of the neutral grounds, etc. This is arguably good news for us, as we benefit from playing against a lot of teams who are out of form anyway, etc. Not sure I think its a good idea, based on the limited information they have put out, but I can see the logic of finishing.
Finishing is the only fair way of sorting it out. But as many in here have been saying and others in denial about there is a time limit on when it can finish. This is now obvious with the crazy ideas they are throwing around to get it finished before June.

Games behind closed doors ok not ideal but ok. Then they stretch it to neutral venues at which point they’re stretching the integrity of the competition. But just enough that they could get away with it.

But now with 5 subs and shorter half’s they are taking the absolute piss. Not only would that not be a continuation of the competition that began last august it couldn’t even be described as the same sport.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It feels very irresponsible that clubs are beginning training or asking their players to return to begin training if there is no decision yet on when footballing starts again.
Can't really blame the clubs here. FA should be the one who need to take a decision. If they are siding with restarting the league, clubs have no other option than to call the players for training and to build their match fitness. The only thing one can blame the clubs is of not being stubborn with their demands here and questioning the FA as to who would be responsible if a player gets infected and the long term impact due to it

Kag

Brighton are playing a pretty transparent (shameless?) game at the moment.

There is merit to the view that lower-placed clubs (particularly those that rely on their ‘raucous’ home atmospheres to gather points) will suffer a little. But the neutral venue idea has even more logistical merit. Integrity is a slippery slope right now; it’s about finding compromise, ultimately. I mean, United and Spurs can welcome the returns of Pogba, Rashford, Kane and Son. Doesn’t that withdraw a degree of integrity? I don’t care, but if clubs want to play that game...

I’d like to see the season continue to a conclusion. All games played; a champion; relegations; the lot. Of course, this relies upon regular testing and having the resources to do so.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Football to be played with halves of less than 45 minutes and without a ball.

Liverpool* to be gifted the PL trophy for the first time, but without the handles because they won 3/4 of the league.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think they need 14 clubs to vote to play the games

I cant see any of the bottom 6 voting to play games (unless relegation is suspended)

I cant see Leicester or Chelsea risking a CL spot

So thats 8 clubs who wont vote for playing games and 12 who might

the only way a deal gets done is to suspend relegation if the games are played then you might get watford, west ham & brighton to agree and then you have up to 15 votes

Its the only deal possible and to be honest I think even that deal is fraught with issues (will championship clubs sue if not promoted... and if they are promoted do clubs really want a 22 team league with an extra 4 games (coming off probably a super short closed season)

Gut feel no more games are played and if relegated Bournemouth and Villa (probably Norwich as well) sue the PL ... if that does not happen the only other option (less likley I think ) is they play the games out with no relegation and either the championship winner sue or they have 22 teams in the league next season

Probably they vote to just stop the league on Monday

Greck

while they have given some outlines I haven’t seen details? For example if one of the protocols was contentious and players are told it’s ok then they catch the virus during a game, then there would be the potential for suits. It’s all about whether your employer could have known it was putting you at risk unnecessarily and if you can get a judge to agree with you.

imagine a player scholes, aged 24,, catches it, his lungs are fecked and he can’t play football again? The club knows the risks, the player says he isn’t happy, the club say play or you are done (as people have said in here),if any of the protocols don’t stand up he can sue.
It has nothing to with government because they will not decide protocols they will say “if it can be done safely”
You still dont understand what the role of the Government was in that post but that's okay as it relates to courts balancing public policy in times of crisis with the needs of the individual. We know deciding workplace protocol in a private establishment isn't the Government's job. Abandoning that, I guess you're saying high risk individuals will sue if they are forced to work under medically negligent conditions/protocols? Well....Yeah

edit: will add this, don't be shocked if the definition of a susceptible individual and negligent protocols are given a high threshold. Courts are like insurance companies on matters of public policy, if a definition can get everybody rich they are refusing to adopt it

Last edited:

Redcy

You still dont understand what the role of the Government was in that post but that's okay as it relates to courts balancing public policy in times of crisis with the needs of the individual. We know deciding workplace protocol in a private establishment isn't the Government's job. Abandoning that, I guess you're saying high risk individuals will potentially start court cases if they are made to come to work under negligent conditions/protocols? Well....Yeah
OK I see what you were getting at now, yes of course the government can set certain laws although I am not entirely sure they will. So that leaves the judiciary, now of course the courts do take instruction from the government to some degree, however they will apply existing laws using existing precendence which is why it might get messy. The government can make statements about how they expect it to be ruled, but fundamentally they can only have a say by changing laws.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
I think they need 14 clubs to vote to play the games

I cant see any of the bottom 6 voting to play games (unless relegation is suspended)

I cant see Leicester or Chelsea risking a CL spot
Surely those in the bottom 3 will want to play if relegation remains.

Pagh Wraith

Apparently the German state of Bremen is blocking a Bundesliga start on 15 May, pushing for a one-week delay because Werder Bremen "aren't fit yet". :lol:

I swear if they cause me to lose the bet I have with a mate and with it a crate of beer...

CornerFlag

Supports
Liverpool
Boris is not right wing, he is a puppet. It’s about time we all realsed that we are being taken for mugs. Politicans are only interested in themselveS. Honest people are not represented by any politicial party in the U.K. This Ferguson doctor has destroyed the U.K. regardless of your political persuasio.
Sorry to take away from the current run of conversation, but this has just absolutely baffled me seven ways to Sunday. Plus did the 'i' from 'realised' magically find its way into the middle of 'political' somehow? Why is the 's' big on 'themselves'? Where's the 'n' in 'persuasion? Who is Boris a puppet of? Who, specifically, is making a mug of us? How did 'this Ferguson doctor' destroy the UK?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Of course it is non-essential, the problem is that if we only look at the "it is risky" argument, football will not resume for well over a year. Which is Okay, except that it will cause the vast majority of clubs to go bankrupt.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm at the point where I don't give a feck about next season right now. Suspend indefinitely until players can play then finish the season out and worry about downstream shit (next season, CL, Euros, WC) then.

Something about pretending like 28 games didn't happen, doesn't sit well with me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Of course it is non-essential, the problem is that if we only look at the "it is risky" argument, football will not resume for well over a year. Which is Okay, except that it will cause the vast majority of clubs to go bankrupt.
I mean we could just hold on until Liverpool is made bankrupt, the ground is sold off and turned into a giant car park pending redevelopment..
Everyone’s a winner right?

Pagh Wraith

Merkel and the state PMs have agreed that the Bundesliga is free to continue in the "second half of May". The league has to set the date themselves. So May 16th very likely now. Nerve wrecking stuff.

RyRy11

If they want to go ahead and play the remaining games purely to get that TV money, why dont they just void relagation and the title? 19 teams will agree then :lol: