4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kthanksbye

There is no redemption story possible there.
Not even if he does his time and actually changes as a person, surely there has to be some road to redemption. Without making any excuses for his actions, should society not give people a chance to correct themselves?
I don't know the answer to this, I'm just thinking aloud.

kthanksbye

He wouldn't be as bad as he looks if he doesn't think he's as good as he used to be.

phelans shorts

Not even if he does his time and actually changes as a person, surely there has to be some road to redemption. Without making any excuses for his actions, should society not give people a chance to correct themselves?
Then he’ll be at the tail end of a footballers career span.

Beside, he shouldn’t be allowed into a prominent position whereby he’ll be idolised, such as being a footballer.

Telsim

I don't like hearing he is staying until the end of the season. He should be shipped in January. If Martial manages to stay fit for more than 5 minutes, Ronaldo will almost certainly play even less. Which will upset him even more. Which might cause further problems in the most crucial time of the campaign. Which is something this team definitely doesn't need. And I'd much rather see his wages be used to finance someone else. Parting ways amicably is better for all parties, in my opinion.

Ladron de redcafe

I don't like hearing he is staying until the end of the season. He should be shipped in January. If Martial manages to stay fit for more than 5 minutes, Ronaldo will almost certainly play even less. Which will upset him even more. Which might cause further problems in the most crucial time of the campaign. Which is something this team definitely doesn't need. And I'd much rather see his wages be used to finance someone else. Parting ways amicably is better for all parties, in my opinion.
He's going to tuck his tail between his legs and accept it, because Ten Hag has already showed him that any tantrums will lead to getting axed from the squad. I think Ronaldo will remember that moving forward.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think getting involved with the build up is the issue with Ronaldo, Martial does heavily get involved with the build up and Ten Hag doesn't seem to have any issue with that, in fact we play our best football with Martial in the team under Ten Hag.

Ronaldo's pressing isn't disciplined nor does he do that enough. He might chase the keeper or CB once in a while but he's not committed to pressing full time.
It's all an issue. He offers no pressing which allows teams to organize a nice patient buildup. His lack of involvment in the buildup is also problematic because unlike a team like City, we can't dominate teams with 10 men. And then of course he isn't sharp enough in the final third either.

Hope Martial returns asap. It probably won't happen but I'd love for us to replace him in Jan. It would help the team develop and play players that suit the system/ vision.

Strelok

Yes I think. I'm of the same opinion. Our current pastor is an ex convict ex drug dealer for example. And he's a great guy.

But tbh I don't think he'd do it here. His career at United is finished imo. Probably his football career as well. The club is now only waiting for the official verdict to terminate his contract without having to pay anything.

Glorio

It's very interesting what a decent game represents for Ronaldo these days. If any other forward played exactly like Ronaldo vs West Ham, would we say they had a decent game?

Standards of what we expect of him have dropped so much that if he manages to complete simple square/back passes, and he makes a tackle and a sprint, it's considered decent.

I've been guilty of it myself with the "he played fairly well but didn't score" line, but really though, has he played well? It's good to see him put in some effort, but we need better and could do without the drama.

On the drama:
Never before did I think a running topic among professional sky sports pundits (and beyond even) would be being blanked by Ronaldo.

Herman Toothrot

It's very interesting what a decent game represents for Ronaldo these days. If any other forward played exactly like Ronaldo vs West Ham, would we say they had a decent game?

Standards of what we expect of him have dropped so much that if he manages to complete simple square/back passes, and he makes a tackle and a sprint, it's considered decent.

I've been guilty of it myself with the "he played fairly well but didn't score" line, but really though, has he played well? It's good to see him put in some effort, but we need better and could do without the drama.

On the drama:
Never before did I think a running topic among professional sky sports pundits (and beyond even) would be being blanked by Ronaldo.
If anyone else played like that, they'd be pointing to it as a reason why Ronaldo must start. I actually think he's improved recently, but he's still not good enough to be starting.

mshnsh

Mate have you ever watched a ETH press conference or training ground vid or heard him speak? The guy gives zero fecks about drama around Ronaldo caused by dropping him. Since you know, he's done it for most of the season already.
Ten Hag chose to start him in 2 straight games after dropping him and did not even sub him. Was not the case before Ronaldo's tantrums.

Jericho

Ten Hag chose to start him in 2 straight games after dropping him and did not even sub him. Was not the case before Ronaldo's tantrums.
1 of those games was in Europa, Ronaldo always gets those games. Given the fact that he scored in that one and the lack of alternatives it's not too surprising that he started against West Ham.

I actually think his performance against West Ham was ok by his current standards so I expect he'll probably start again against Villa.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

On the drama:
I agree. Its actually sad to see.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest to ever play the game. People would never think to compare him to anyone but the very best. However, his standards have slipped so much. To the point where he looks worse than players who you would not have mentioned in the same breath as him 2-3 years ago.

Looked at unemotionally, the goal against Everton is probably the only thing he has done this season that other top level players would be impressed by. His link up, hold up, touches, passes, effectiveness in the box, all of it is lightyears from what he used to be. At Juventus, for all Ronaldo's issues and incompatibility with certain other players, moves did not go to him to die. Now I almost check out when he gets the ball. I'm almost 90 per cent sure he'll just knock it back the way it came or lose it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think getting involved with the build up is the issue with Ronaldo, Martial does heavily get involved with the build up and Ten Hag doesn't seem to have any issue with that, in fact we play our best football with Martial in the team under Ten Hag.

Ronaldo's pressing isn't disciplined nor does he do that enough. He might chase the keeper or CB once in a while but he's not committed to pressing full time.
Martial is good in build up play and back to the goal so I fully expect him to play that role under Ten Hag. Ronaldo is OK (better than Rashford, but nothing very good). Too often he just slows us down though. It's actually not something that happened due to his physical decline, he was always like that when since he started his transition to forward (back in Real Madrid days I used to watch him a lot, he had a thing to drop deep only to pass it to defender and jog back to higher up the pitch, it adds nothing to the game).

I think Ronaldo dropping deeper is disrupting our play, I would rather he stayed up top. He needs to adds some scrappy goals, since he's not a good finisher anymore.

Mmm-Qatarian

When it comes down to it, even in his "decent" games nowadays I'd say Ronaldo seldom does a whole lot that you wouldn't expect from even a baseline Premier League striker.

There are flashes of excellence still there but generally if he hasn't scored (and this has been the case most of the time this season) the most you can say for his performances is that he's sometimes involved in the build up.

I imagine this will be deemed as a dreadfully disrespectful comparison but is Ronaldo really offering any more this season than, say, Che Adams?

Strelok

I imagine this will be deemed as a dreadfully disrespectful comparison but is Ronaldo really offering any more this season than, say, Che Adams?
No and it's not respectful at all. If you compare their careers it is but not their ability atm.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's barely a footballer anymore.

He cannot run. He can't dribble. He can't battle centre backs.

Just snap shot after snap shot after snap shot.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
An attack with him as the focal point simply cannot function.
We will drop more points with him in the side.
Even his fans know he's finished.

Chief123

He is so finished.

His only contributions in games now is fouling the opposition and moaning about it and wasting time for us.

His hold up play is and always has been shocking. Surprising for someone who is technically good.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The need to leave him on because you know he’ll throw a tantrum if he comes off before scoring is disastrous for the team. He offered nothing in the second half.

It was a good assist earlier on, though.

Irwin99

3 goals and 2 assists in 15 games is not a good return. Must be his worst goal-scoring form for about 18 years or so?

kundalini

Decent pass for his assist, otherwise useless. His season to date was captured in one brief moment when he wasted a good chance, that would have been offside anyway.

alexanderplatz

Ronaldo kept trying last year and for that I respect him. I think it is clear that he isn’t going to contribute anything now but there is no way he will leave before the end of the season. We will just need to plan for the future and hopefully get a good attacking option in. The petulance has left him open to criticism and he really doesn’t help himself with his selfish play. That said Martial is injured every five minutes so we have no other options.

Irwin99

Easily. He doesn’t look like scoring
At this rate I don't fancy him to reach 150 goals for the club (he's 5 off that number).

I do wonder if anyone would be even interested if we wanted to get rid in January. They weren't exactly forming a line in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.