Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
£80m,we were seriously robbed there.
I'd probably say the same if it was £150M we received. Fact is, for a football fan, no amount of money to the club would be enough to compensate the loss of a player like him or Messi.

ricardinho

I called him a brilliant player who I'm grateful to be able to watch twice a week. That's not appreciating? Get a grip.
Theres always a but "oh but he dived" when he didnt "oh but he antagonizes opposing fans" as he should have, you're always bitching about something and always nitpicking the guys performances. Jealousy is a woman's trait bro.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
If somehow Messi falls into ronaldos shadow from now on and ronaldo wins an equal amount of ballon dors then would people still rate messi higher?

Phil

I love how he constantly thrives off the hate.

Amazing player and a lot of respect for him.

Relevated

Theres always a but "oh but he dived" when he didnt "oh but he antagonizes opposing fans" as he should have, you're always bitching about something and always nitpicking the guys performances. Jealousy is a woman's trait bro.
QFT. Whenever he does something great then people do post about it but along with their post their never fail to mention that the opposition was at fault or that he was being cocky etc. Its really annoying, why cant they just list his achievements without the ifs and buts.

Decotron

:lol:

You people. He scored in two of Portugal's WC qualifiers before the play-offs - against Luxembourg and Northern Ireland. I think Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or this year too but come on. Sweden are not a good side. He can score another 150 goals for Madrid and I don't think it'll change anyones opinion of him. We know he's ruthless, we know he's incredibly consistent, we know he can score all types of goals...doing this over and over again won't make a difference because he's proven that all beyond any doubt. For some he's the 2nd best player ever, for some he's one of the best of his generation, for some he's the greatest human being to walk the earth - a couple of goals against Sweden or Sevilla has no impact on any of these opinions. Yet inevitably you get people jumping at the chance to tell people how AMAZINGGGGG the man is when he scores against weak opposition. It really does read like people feeling compelled to tell all their mates that the red power ranger is soooo cool, over and over and over again. He's my fav and I'm going to remind you all why every time he does that awesome punch. Just wow. Isn't he dreamy?

204Red

someone please explain to me why we didn't renegotiate his contract after 2008 and pay him boat loads of money.

At the time I believe the club was praised for "not giving in to player power"... and short-sightedly we led a once in a generation player leave the club without much of a fight.

and don't give me that "he followed his dream" line ... pretty easy to follow your dream when they triple your wages.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Great game from him, I stand by my evaluation of him as a player.

JaffyJoe

Just waiting for JaffyJoe to come up with his "he doesn't do enough in the big games for me".

Hat trick to take your team to the World cup good enough for you then mate? On form he's the best in the world right now, by a good distance too.

Even if I did come in and say that, does today's game all of a sudden make me wrong?

JaffyJoe

Was today not a big game?

I didn't say he never shows up in big games, I said he is not a GREAT big game player. We will not remember him for his big game performances the way we remember someone like Zidane, Ronaldinho or Iniesta even. He is hit and miss for me personally. Today you could not have asked for more, his team needed him and he delivered. The way some make it sound like it Ronaldo vs 11 Swedes is just OTT.

ricardinho

If somehow Messi falls into ronaldos shadow from now on and ronaldo wins an equal amount of ballon dors then would people still rate messi higher?
He will never win the same amount of Ballon D'ors as Messi, hes a very polarizing figure you either love him or hate him, then you have blatter's ridiculous antics that even though they were stupid specially coming from someone who should be unbiased reflect the feelings many have towards Ronaldo and Messi, even the profile for each player in the Fifa site is detrimental to Ronaldo, the number of goals they have him scored are not accurate and they go out of their way to compare him to Messi saying that "The Genial Messi scored more goals than him in the league" why talk about Messi in ronaldo's profile when you didnt talk about Ronaldo on Messi's profile just like you didnt compare the rest of the nominees to Messi. The all thing is a farce they will give it to Messi again and again no matter what he does he could probably be out for one year and they still would give it to him. If i were Ronaldo i would not go to anymore Fifa awards ceremony, why bother with it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

You people. He scored in two of Portugal's WC qualifiers before the play-offs - against Luxembourg and Northern Ireland. I think Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or this year too but come on. Sweden are not a good side. He can score another 150 goals for Madrid and I don't think it'll change anyones opinion of him. We know he's ruthless, we know he's incredibly consistent, we know he can score all types of goals...doing this over and over again won't make a difference because he's proven that all beyond any doubt. For some he's the 2nd best player ever, for some he's one of the best of his generation, for some he's the greatest human being to walk the earth - a couple of goals against Sweden or Sevilla has no impact on any of these opinions. Yet inevitably you get people jumping at the chance to tell people how AMAZINGGGGG the man is when he scores against weak opposition. It really does read like people feeling compelled to tell all their mates that the red power ranger is soooo cool, over and over and over again. He's my fav and I'm going to remind you all why every time he does that awesome punch. Just wow. Isn't he dreamy?
Kaka > Ronaldo

ricardinho

I didn't say he never shows up in big games, I said he is not a GREAT big game player. We will not remember him for his big game performances the way we remember someone like Zidane, Ronaldinho or Iniesta even. He is hit and miss for me personally. Today you could not have asked for more, his team needed him and he delivered. The way some make it sound like it Ronaldo vs 11 Swedes is just OTT.
The same clown that said Kaka and Gerrard were better big game players than Ronaldo :lol:

BTW just out of curiosity can you list the memorable performances from the players you listed?

Ainu

someone please explain to me why we didn't renegotiate his contract after 2008 and pay him boat loads of money.

At the time I believe the club was praised for "not giving in to player power"... and short-sightedly we led a once in a generation player leave the club without much of a fight.

and don't give me that "he followed his dream" line ... pretty easy to follow your dream when they triple your wages.

What? :confused:

What makes you think he would've signed a contract extension at that point and what makes you think we didn't try to offer him one? Fergie would've spoken to him constantly. He got another year out of him and I consider that an achievement.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Just the 3 trophies with Madrid, 1 of them being their equivalent of the Community Shield.

Terrible trophy collection for one of the best players any of us will ever see in our lifetime.

Things like that make it natural to wonder what would've happened if he'd stayed both for us and for him. If Madrid don't win major trophies significantly over the next 3 or 4 years whilst Ronaldo is still useful, what a waste. Sure he's been great individually, but even that hasn't been enough for his personal trophy collection for the most-part.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

Were you there when they bent didn't offer him "boat loads of money"? How do you know he wasn't offered a pay rise?

It's well documented that Ronaldo's mother had drilled it into him ever since they unearthed his talent that he should seek a career with Real Madrid. I feel cringey having to bring it up but I don't doubt that it played a huge role in his career choices. Seems like one of them things that was genuinely destined to happen.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

But that boy Kaka though, there's a player...

JaffyJoe

The same clown that said Kaka and Gerrard were better big game players than Ronaldo :lol:

BTW just out of curiosity can you list the memorable performances from the players you listed?

That was an exaggeration. I don't need to list their performances they are just players who I remember as having been better big game players than Ronaldo. He is not the perfect player beyond criticism. He is an amazing player, who in my opinion at times is kept too quiet when it counts, he wasn't today. He needed to step up and he did. Why can't anybody say anything negative about him without being pounced on.

Just to gauge how do you feel he played against us and Dortmund last season ?

p.s If you need to be reminded of notable big games from Zidane, Iniesta and Ronaldinho. Then you have missed some amazing football.

Relevated

That was an exaggeration. I don't need to list their performances they are just players who I remember as having been better big game players than Ronaldo. He is not the perfect player beyond criticism. He is an amazing player, who in my opinion at times is kept too quiet when it counts, he wasn't today. He needed to step up and he did. Why can't anybody say anything negative about him without being pounced on.

p.s If you need to be reminded of notable big games from Zidane, Iniesta and Ronaldinho. Then you have missed some amazing football.
Bro, allow chatting shit. Just say that you cant name the games in which they stood out.

ricardinho

So you cant even name the many memorable performances that were so mesmerizing that they stuck in your memory? Just admit you're talking bollocks just like you were when you said Kaka and Gerrard were better big game players than Ronaldo.

He wasnt very good against United he still scored the goal that sent his team through and he also wasnt very good against Dortmund i have no problem admitting that, now may i ask you if you can name me one player that was great or very good every single game or a player that didnt had off games? if you know of one pls let me know cause i want to see that player.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Just the 3 trophies with Madrid, 1 of them being their equivalent of the Community Shield.

Terrible trophy collection for one of the best players any of us will ever see in our lifetime.

Things like that make it natural to wonder what would've happened if he'd stayed both for us and for him. If Madrid don't win major trophies significantly over the next 3 or 4 years whilst Ronaldo is still useful, what a waste. Sure he's been great individually, but even that hasn't been enough for his personal trophy collection for the most-part.
That's because Madrid as a team, play terrible for their standards - individually. They on paper are equal to Barca. But because they don't play like a team, they lose and succeed like a gang of individuals, the culture of the club also plays a part in it, but i don't to get into that too much. He would play much better and win much better if they played like we did with him. Not the same style of course.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You're in the wrong thread if you don't want to read about Ronaldo, mate ;)

And yes, he is dreamy!
I was looking forward to reading some discussion over his performance but by the looks of it this thread is purely for fawning over this incredible specimen. Saying he carried them singlehandedly to the World Cup is absurd. He scored in two of the 8 qualifiers he played and that was against the two weakest sides in the group. If he managed one goal against Israel they would've qualified already ahead of a fairly unimpressive Russia side. When he doesn't score it's because Portugal are terrible, when he does he's a one man team...go figure.

It's not quite Tostao in the 1970 qualifiers.

It would complete a pretty astonishing career.

I value consistency, and the strength it takes to perform as he does for years on end. How someone can be completely unmoved by an extra 150 goals is beyond me. I can't be certain but I think Eusebio would be less highly regarded if he didn't keep up his scoring feats.

I bet those that wouldn't credit Ronaldo for scoring another 150 would certainly criticise him if his goal scoring dramatically dwindled, though.
If by those you mean Jaffy Joe, probably. Otherwise that's ridiculous. People would criticise him for starting to decline after 8 years at his peak?! Come on. Likewise with Eusebio. He'd already scored something like 300 goals in 300 games, set World Cup records, decided European Cup finals...he'd already made it to the top, his legacy was written, and all that by the age of 26. I find it hard to believe there's any argument to be made that if he'd stopped there he'd have less recognition and acclaim.

Fergus' son

Zidane and Ronaldinho played absolutely brilliant in every big game they ever played in!

Fergus' son

I was looking forward to reading some discussion over his performance but by the looks of it this thread is purely for fawning over this incredible specimen. Saying he carried them singlehandedly to the World Cup is absurd. He scored in two of the 8 qualifiers he played and that was against the two weakest sides in the group. If he managed one goal against Israel they would've qualified already ahead of a fairly unimpressive Russia side. When he doesn't score it's because Portugal are terrible, when he does he's a one man team...go figure.

If by those you mean Jaffy Joe, probably. Otherwise that's ridiculous. People would criticise him for starting to decline after 8 years at his peak?! Come on. Likewise with Eusebio. He'd already scored something like 300 goals in 300 games, set World Cup records, decided European Cup finals...he'd already made it to the top, his legacy was written, and all that by the age of 26. I find it hard to believe there's any argument to be made that if he'd stopped there he'd have less recognition and acclaim.
Ok, probably not, but by that same token, being completely unmoved by another 150 goals after he's been at his peak for 8 years is baffling too IMO. Of course it would add to his legacy, 12 years of being an absolute machine is better than 8 of the same.

JaffyJoe

Bro, allow chatting shit. Just say that you cant name the games in which they stood out.

So you cant even name the many memorable performances that were so mesmerizing that they stuck in your memory? Just admit you're talking bollocks just like you were when you said Kaka and Gerrard were better big game players than Ronaldo.

He wasnt very good against United he still scored the goal that sent his team through and he also wasnt very good against Dortmund i have no problem admitting that, now may i ask you if you can name me one player that was great or very good every single game or a player that didnt had off games? if you know of one pls let me know cause i want to see that player.

I should start listing games they were good in? That is tedious. If you don't think they were/are good big game players I don't know what to say. Nobody really tips Zidane in that regard, that is what he is remembered for. Ronaldinho was unplayable during his peak. Iniesta who is the one you may have the most problem with so, Champions League final in 2009 and 2011, The Euro 2012 Final. Euro 2008. Countless el Classico's.

I didn't say nobody has bad games, Ronaldo's stand out more for me. He does't bring what I look for in those games when things are not going his way. That is my only criticism of him. Still one of the best I have ever watched regardless.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's not gonna happen though, unless Messi has serious injury problems that stop him from regaining top form. If that happened then the waste of Messi's potential would probably be a bigger deal than Ronaldo's brilliance, people would always remember that Messi was the better player at his best. If Messi's injury problems clear up and he regains top form for a sustained period than Ronaldo can't really beat him.

JaffyJoe

I still think he was a more balanced/unplayable player here. He will almost be exclusively be remembered as Madrid legend now. I think he has Raul's goal record in the back of his mind. He can reach it too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ok, probably not, but by that same token, being completely unmoved by another 150 goals after he's been at his peak for 8 years is baffling too IMO. Of course it would add to his legacy, 12 years of being an absolute machine is better than 8 of the same.
You keep using this word unmoved but I don't know what it's referring to. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things it won't change anything. It's not going to be the catalyst for people jumping on the 2nd greatest player of all time bandwagon. I will still chuckle at how easy it is for him if he's scoring a goal a game in three years' time and be amazed by his consistency.

ricardinho

I should start listing games they were good in? That is tedious. If you don't think they were/are good big game players I don't know what to say. Nobody really tips Zidane in that regard, that is what he is remembered for. Ronaldinho was unplayable during his peak. Iniesta who is the one you may have the most problem with so, Champions League final in 2009 and 2011, The Euro 2012 Final. Euro 2008. Countless el Classico's.

I didn't say nobody has bad games, Ronaldo's stand out more for me. He does't bring what I look for in those games when things are not going his way. That is my only criticism of him. Still one of the best I have ever watched regardless.
You just naming big games where he was involved in i bet you dont even remember how good he really was or not, in most of those games he was outshone by Xavi and in the classicos by Messi, i bet you're the kind of a guy that thinks Zidane had a great World cup in 98 just cause he scored two headers in the final.

What do you want him to bring that he doesnt? and btw if you're gonna compare him to other players at least compare him with players that play in the same position, you're comparing him with central and offensive middfielders those guys touch the ball more and usually are more visible cause they are in the thick of things and almost everything has to go through them so they have more chances to impact a game, can you name a winger who's been more influent than he is and pls dont say Ribery cause we have gone through that already.

Fergus' son

You keep using this word unmoved but I don't know what it's referring to. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things it won't change anything. It's not going to be the catalyst for people jumping on the 2nd greatest player of all time bandwagon. I will still chuckle at how easy it is for him if he's scoring a goal a game in three years' time and be amazed by his consistency.
That's extra level of consistency should enhance people's opinion of him, wether that's to second greatest player of all time level is irrelevant. You somehow suggesting it wouldn't enhance his stature or add to the list of things which make him an amazing player was off the mark for me.

It should affect the grand scheme of things, it's 150 goals for ffs!

ricardinho

Zlatan 's quote from after the game " A World Cup without me is not worth watching" apparently Ronaldo is not the only arrogant player in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.