Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's extra level of consistency should enhance people's opinion of him, wether that's to second greatest player of all time level is irrelevant. You somehow suggesting it wouldn't enhance his stature or add to the list of things which make him an amazing player was off the mark for me.

It should affect the grand scheme of things, it's 150 goals for ffs!
It seems like you've not even tried to understand what my point was just so you could argue your own point. Yes if he plays well for longer that will enhance people's opinion of him, I agree. And scoring 150 more goals would be a great achievement. I wasn't saying otherwise.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
You just naming big games where he was involved in i bet you dont even remember how good he really was or not, in most of those games he was outshone by Xavi and in the classicos by Messi, i bet you're the kind of a guy that thinks Zidane had a great World cup in 98 just cause he scored two headers in the final.

What do you want him to bring that he doesnt? and btw if you're gonna compare him to other players at least compare him with players that play in the same position, you're comparing him with central and offensive middfielders those guys touch the ball more and usually are more visible cause they are in the thick of things and almost everything has to go through them so they have more chances to impact a game, can you name a winger who's been more influent than he is and pls dont say Ribery cause we have gone through that already.

I told you naming big games was tedious, you asked for it. He was immense in both Champions League finals.You can go to the Iniesta thread he is not above criticism either. Neither is Zidane or Ronaldinho. We are talking about big ages specifically here. If we were to discuss consistency Ronaldo trumps them all and it isn't close.

If I did think that Zidane had a good 1998 World Cup I wouldn't then have made the point I did about Ronaldo. I didn't even mention '98 so now you are putting words down that I didn't write. I feel you get pleasure out of thinking I pray for Ronaldo's downfall which is silly of you. Like I said pone of the best players I have ever watched, Just doesn't do it enough for me in big games. What are his notable big games?

If you really think Ronaldo is camped out on the wing then you lying to yourself, he is so unplayable because he pops up everywhere. The United and Dortmund games he was out on the wing and isolated. That is the very reason why he struggled to influence the match as much as he could. The reason I call him out for those performances is because when things are normally not going well for him he will move to get more involved, those matches he seemed content to stay isolated and watch his team struggle. The match in Dortmund he took up different positions deeper and in the middle to get on the ball and Real looked immediately more dangerous, unfortunately that was in the last 10 minutes. So he clearly has the ability to create to an extent but he chooses not to use it when his team are struggling? Then one of you will reply with but he scored. Please give me a break.

p.s I have come into this thread and praised Ronaldo but people like you and Red Shorts chose to only comment on the negative. Baffling.

Also do you feel 10 years ago he and Messi would be as prolific as they are now.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
It seems like you've not even tried to understand what my point was just so you could argue your own point. Yes if he plays well for longer that will enhance people's opinion of him, I agree. And scoring 150 more goals would be a great achievement. I wasn't saying otherwise.
I do see your point, the criticisms that some people have of him are that he doesn't run the show in the biggest games, and today would've done nothing to change that. My point is that he is excelling so much at what he does do well, and looks like he will continue to do so, that the above point becomes less and less of an issue. 150 goals after the age of 29 would only enhance that belief.

The fact is, the people that came into this thread to 'gloat' were not doing so in response to a completely valid criticism such as what I think yours is, it's to those that bang on about him not tracking back enough like Ribery or not doing for his country or not doing at the most vital moments and that he is somehow most culpable for his respective teams lack of success. Personally I think days like today makes some of those more far fetched criticisms of Ronaldo seem ridiculous, that's all. I actually think it was you desperate to make a point in this thread.

Also, I know jaffyjoe isn't really worth referencing when it comes to this topic, but I genuinely think he would be more impressed with Ronaldo if he got 2 assists vs Dortmund in a CL SF, did some impressive tiki taka in the midfield during said game and never scored again, than he would with the extra 150 goals. Bit of reductio ad absurdum there but I do get that impression amongst quite a few people and just think it's daft.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
He will never win the same amount of Ballon D'ors as Messi, hes a very polarizing figure you either love him or hate him, then you have blatter's ridiculous antics that even though they were stupid specially coming from someone who should be unbiased reflect the feelings many have towards Ronaldo and Messi, even the profile for each player in the Fifa site is detrimental to Ronaldo, the number of goals they have him scored are not accurate and they go out of their way to compare him to Messi saying that "The Genial Messi scored more goals than him in the league" why talk about Messi in ronaldo's profile when you didnt talk about Ronaldo on Messi's profile just like you didnt compare the rest of the nominees to Messi. The all thing is a farce they will give it to Messi again and again no matter what he does he could probably be out for one year and they still would give it to him. If i were Ronaldo i would not go to anymore Fifa awards ceremony, why bother with it.
The way the Ballon D'ors is set all the south and Central American captains and coaches will vote for a south American player, Messi now and Neymar next year, in Europe and rest of the world they are more "democratic" and they don't follow the same trend. The captain of Brazil voted Messi, Zlatan and Ronaldo and when they told him if he could vote for a Brazilian how he would vote (he could vote) he said: Neymar then him..... :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Theres always a but "oh but he dived" when he didnt "oh but he antagonizes opposing fans" as he should have, you're always bitching about something and always nitpicking the guys performances. Jealousy is a woman's trait bro.

What are you talking about? I rarely comment on his performances because I couldn't give a feck about him or Real. I said he's brilliant which he is. How is that not appreciating him? Adding on "but he dives" is perfectly valid considering it's a popular opinion.

Eminem wrote a cracking song about people like you. Bro.

Zlatan 's quote from after the game " A World Cup without me is not worth watching" apparently Ronaldo is not the only arrogant player in the world.

Everyone knows Zlatan's an arrogant bastard as well. What's your point? :lol:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I think we as UTD fans can stand his arrogance because he was once one of us, the feck you's to the opposition fans used to represent what we were thinking. Had he never played for us I think quite a few who love his arrogance would hate it.

That said, all the talk of how arrogant he is etc is completely irrelevant really, and boils down to fans being obsessed with players personalities like football is some big soap opera. If you talk more about his arrogance and ego more than you do about his football then something's not right.

celia

I am glad I will see him at the next World Cup, I still enjoy watching him playing... for Portugal cause I can't really bring me to watch other club games that United.

I think his arrogance is quite amusing (sometimes I think it's a nice change to hear about really confident people even if they can seem too extreme), well I also think that Zlatan is interesting for his declarations even if I don't watch the french Ligue.

But isn't Ronaldo quite involved with charity things, more than he had to, but it isn't as advertised than his "antics" ?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Surely Ibrahimovic was wumming? I know he his a confident player, but if he said that he must have been taking the piss.

Annahnomoss

Surely Ibrahimovic was wumming? I know he his a confident player, but if he said that he must have been taking the piss.

It is his sense of humour, he has said similar shit for decades now. Either he answers a stupid question with a sarcastic overly cocky comment and a serious face or he openly laughs as he over-hypes himself through the roof.

Regardless of his wumming he is an over-confident player in terms of his own ability.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think we as UTD fans can stand his arrogance because he was once one of us, the feck you's to the opposition fans used to represent what we were thinking. Had he never played for us I think quite a few who love his arrogance would hate it.

That said, all the talk of how arrogant he is etc is completely irrelevant really, and boils down to fans being obsessed with players personalities like football is some big soap opera. If you talk more about his arrogance and ego more than you do about his football then something's not right.

It's not irrelevant when I'm using it to explain why I dislike him despite him being so brilliant. I called him both arrogant and brilliant. His football gets as much notice as the other shit, no doubt, but it's not a taboo to mention the less desirable parts of his game such as diving etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its great to watch a once in a generation, world class footballer performing at his absolute peak. Good news for Portugal as well.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
But he doesn't score in the big games!
He doesn't show up for Portugal!
He only scores in the sunny SPL!

:lol:

I mean really, just really - How UNBELIEVABLE is he. Movement, touch, control and finishing - out of this world. But no, we will have people like brwned come on here and still be butt hurt about him leaving United and being so biased. The fact is, the rate that he's scoring goals is sensational. It won't be replicated ever again imo. And please don't show me Gerd Muller's stats - the game was a lot slower back then (albeit a bit more physical).

How can you actually hate him? Besides the play acting once in a while, Cristiano is the hardest working footballer in world football. That's a fact. He's always looking to get better - ALWAYS. His drive and determination is unparalleled. You have to admire that. It's beautiful and it's paying dividends.

He does dive sometimes, but you haters make it sound like Ashley Young is the most honest footballer in comparison. Just fall back, realize that he's going to be top 2 of all time with Messi when he hangs up his boots. Just smile, sit back and feel blessed that we were lucky to be in the Ronaldo/Messi era.

When can it be accepted by all that in Ronaldo and messi we have potentially 2 of the greatest of all time?

I hope to feck both are firing in the WC to put any doubt to rest.
I've been saying this for over a year now. They're the best two of all time. Just wait and see in a few years and almost everyone will agree. Quote this in a few years if you want.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Zlatan 's quote from after the game " A World Cup without me is not worth watching" apparently Ronaldo is not the only arrogant player in the world.

I love how all these epic Zlatan quotes emerge on Twitter after he does anything good..with no visual or audio recordence of him ever saying them..ever

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In my memory scoring goals in big games havnt been any issue for him at all for a long time. I am surprised someone even bother to bring that up. He scored in all cup finals he have involved in, scored most goals and was the most dominating player against Barcelona in recent years, also scored both goals in CL against us. I don't know what else he could prove? Maybe lead 2nd rated Portugal in WC final n score the winning goal, a feat even Messi wasn't able to achieve?

Devil may care

If I was Ronaldo I'd be cocky as feck too with all the spite aimed at him, people are jealous of him because he has it all IMO, not only is he an immense athlete and footballer but he has all the trappings of a superstar as opposed to some little boy that mommy might like. If I was putting a team together with a "money no object" backer he'd be the first player on my list, amazing!

Zen

Reading Zlatans book, I certainly wouldn't doubt like 95% of those quotes are close to true, but I only believe the ones where he refers to himself in the third person, not "I" or "me".

Though then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes with it all to create a buzz. He's pretty smart tbf, and his whole character is money.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Reading Zlatans book, I certainly wouldn't doubt like 95% of those quotes are close to true, but I only believe the ones where he refers to himself in the third person, not "I" or "me".

Though then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes with it all to create a buzz. He's pretty smart tbf, and his whole character is money.
Just another attention seeker. :boring:

Hellboy

I was lucky to see the game yesterday, one of the all time best hat tricks I've seen live. That composure, that speed, that technique, just WOW ....

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10

I mean really, just really - How UNBELIEVABLE is he. Movement, touch, control and finishing - out of this world. But no, we will have people like brwned come on here and still be butt hurt about him leaving United and being so biased. The fact is, the rate that he's scoring goals is sensational. It won't be replicated ever again imo. And please don't show me Gerd Muller's stats - the game was a lot slower back then (albeit a bit more physical).

How can you actually hate him? Besides the play acting once in a while, Cristiano is the hardest working footballer in world football. That's a fact. He's always looking to get better - ALWAYS. His drive and determination is unparalleled. You have to admire that. It's beautiful and it's paying dividends.

He does dive sometimes, but you haters make it sound like Ashley Young is the most honest footballer in comparison. Just fall back, realize that he's going to be top 2 of all time with Messi when he hangs up his boots. Just smile, sit back and feel blessed that we were lucky to be in the Ronaldo/Messi era.

I've been saying this for over a year now. They're the best two of all time. Just wait and see in a few years and almost everyone will agree. Quote this in a few years if you want.

Bias?

Brwned made some very valid points.

As for the above.

He was put clean through on goal twice against a poor Swedish side with a defence you could have driven a bus through, he missed 3 glaring chances on top of the goals he scored, and if he'd shown up against teams that weren't Luxembourg and Northern Ireland in the group stage his team might not have needed a play off.

Hannibal

Those assists though.
World class assists but the icing on the cake were Ronaldo's top class finishing. He single-handedly dragged Portugal to the World Cup. We are all lucky to have witnessed this dude on a football pitch. He's got everything & I will even go further and say he's got more in his armoury to hurt his opposition than his nemesis(Messi)

Even the proud Ibrahimovic applauded Ronaldo's 2nd goal.

The assist leading to the third goal was breathtaking.....

Melvyn

prostate examiner
World class assists but the icing on the cake were Ronaldo's top class finishing. He single-handedly dragged Portugal to the World Cup. We are all lucky to have witnessed this dude on a football pitch. He's got everything & I will even go further and say he's got more in his armoury to hurt his opposition than his nemesis(Messi)
Not taking anything away from his finishes. They were absolutely sublime. I don't know if it was Blatter's comments, or the fact that Messi is currently injured, but Ronaldo has really levelled up this season. He's playing as if he has a point to prove. Best player in the world right now. Such a shame that Madrid are reaping the benefits instead of United :(

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Apparently the Balon D'Or voting has been extended due to a low turnout in voting? Ronny must be nailed on to win now?

Nedved

I was at the game last night. As hard it is to admit, he was absolutely brilliant every time he touched the ball. Half the crowd was shouting abuse and wanted to throw things at him and I can't say he was particularly classy in his celebrations. The performance, though, was the best I've ever seen live.

I read somewhere that he doesn't dive anymore. Well, I disagree.

Ryan's Beard

I was at the game last night. As hard it is to admit, he was absolutely brilliant every time he touched the ball. Half the crowd was shouting abuse and wanted to throw things at him and I can't say he was particularly classy in his celebrations. The performance, though, was the best I've ever seen live.

I read somewhere that he doesn't dive anymore. Well, I disagree.
He's entitled to be a cnut in his celebrations really if half the crowd are hurling abuse at him. I know I would be, anyway.

Was there not contact in that clip? I missed the game but to me it looks like he was fine to go down there (obviously he made a meal of it though). Could be wrong to be fair.

Nedved

He's entitled to be a cnut in his celebrations really if half the crowd are hurling abuse at him. I know I would be, anyway.

Was there not contact in that clip? I missed the game but to me it looks like he was fine to go down there (obviously he made a meal of it though). Could be wrong to be fair.

Chicken or egg first dilemma. The half that weren't hurling abuse eventually started to do so after a while too.

I could have chosen a better clip. There was some contact with his shoulder, but him going down and holding his face caused Chiellini to get a straight red. Shouldn't even have been a yellow card.

Hannibal

Not taking anything away from his finishes. They were absolutely sublime. I don't know if it was Blatter's comments, or the fact that Messi is currently injured, but Ronaldo has really levelled up this season. He's playing as if he has a point to prove. Best player in the world right now. Such a shame that Madrid are reaping the benefits instead of United :(
There's no daylight in the margin between him & Messi and this is why a football fan like me is infuriated Messi has won the Ballon d'Or 4 times to Ronaldo's one win. If it's 3-2 to Messi, it would have made more sense but he can't be denied now, he should win it this year.

Swaters16

There's no daylight in the margin between him & Messi and this is why a football fan like me is infuriated Messi has won the Ballon d'Or 4 times to Ronaldo's one win. If it's 3-2 to Messi, it would have made more sense but he can't be denied now, he should win it this year.

Annoys me too. Ronaldo should have won it over Kaka (some would argue against that I'm sure) and he deserves to win this year which would make it 4-3. Hypothetical of course but then the Balon D'or could hardly be used as a measure to assert one is significantly better than the other like it is now.

Ryan's Beard

Chicken or egg first dilemma. The half that weren't hurling abuse eventually started to do so after a while too.

I could have chosen a better clip. There was some contact with his shoulder, but him going down and holding his face caused Chiellini to get a straight red. Shouldn't even have been a yellow card.
:lol: Aw, did they all get wound up by the nasty man being mean on the pitch. I dunno, he's always been provocative to opposition fans who have a go. It's his second favourite thing to do after scoring.

Fair enough. Even from that clip it looked like he made an awful lot out of not very much. Not sure he'll ever fully cut that out of his game really, shame.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Surely the game being slower and more than a "bit" more physical would make it harder for Muller to score goals?

Where has this myth come from that he only dives once every blue moon these days? It was only a few weeks ago he was rolling around clutching his face to get Chiellini off. But yeah, how can you hate him. And why people keep bringing up Young is beyond me. I can't recall Young rolling around holding his face when nothing's happened to his face. I've seen Ronaldo do it more than once.

Ronaldo won't be a top 2 player when he retires. Anyone who thinks he's a better footballer than Diego Maradona needs some serious help. He's absolutely brilliant, one of the best ever, sure, but top 2? I've got to disagree.

Nedved

:lol: Aw, did they all get wound up by the nasty man being mean on the pitch. I dunno, he's always been provocative to opposition fans who have a go. It's his second favourite thing to do after scoring.

Fair enough. Even from that clip it looked like he made an awful lot out of not very much. Not sure he'll ever fully cut that out of his game really, shame.

Haha yes, I tried applauding him after the third goal but that wasn't too popular. :lol:

You have to admire his mental strength.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That 3rd goal is delightful. That pass, Ronnie's inch perfect first two touches (his first touch especially fantastic) and, once he's round the keeper, he just smashes it in, as opposed to 90% of players who would probably place it on target only to maybe have it cleared.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
He really deserves the Balon D'or this year. Messi has been below his best and Ribery is just a very good player in a great team.

Red442

Last Man Standing Champion
Moutinho's assist for the third goal really reminds me of Kaka's pass to Crespo vs. Liverpool in the 2005 CL Final

ricardinho

Surely the game being slower and more than a "bit" more physical would make it harder for Muller to score goals?

Where has this myth come from that he only dives once every blue moon these days? It was only a few weeks ago he was rolling around clutching his face to get Chiellini off. But yeah, how can you hate him. And why people keep bringing up Young is beyond me. I can't recall Young rolling around holding his face when nothing's happened to his face. I've seen Ronaldo do it more than once.

Ronaldo won't be a top 2 player when he retires. Anyone who thinks he's a better footballer than Diego Maradona needs some serious help. He's absolutely brilliant, one of the best ever, sure, but top 2? I've got to disagree.
Hes better than anyone that ever came out of your shitty country thats for sure.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.

And why isn't he as good as Maradona? Give me examples.

Ronaldo will go down as one of the all time greats and people will talk about him for generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.