Daniel James | Leeds player

Gandalf

Got to say I also appreciate him being so level headed and not being a dick about the move. If we had decided to sell him at the start of the summer he likely would have had more options but by hanging on to him until 48 hours before the deadline meant that several interested clubs had already done their business and Leeds were the only serious player. I can think of a few players who would have thrown their toys out of the pram in the circumstances and dug their heels in but Daniel has just taken it on the chin and recognized that however it came about this is now the right thing for everyone and he has just handled the exit with class just as he has handled his entire 2 years here.

Schneiderman

Let's be honest, he was staying and a valued member of the squad, the we signed Cristiano and we needed to make a sale.

Ole looked around at him, Lingard and Martial and realised that the only one we could realistically shift was Dan James.

If Ole had a choice I think Martial would be the one to be fecked off but at £250k a week noone is taking him off our hands. It must be gutting for your United dream to end because of a surly overpaid player when you have a good attitude and work your socks off. Life be like that sometimes.
Agreed completely.

Credit to him for leaving with class in the circumstances. I think we'd all rather see him filling in giving it his all than a sulky Martial on the bench, but that's the wages.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One of very few (if any?) signings post Fergie who can walk away with his head held high.

He just isnt good enough, but none of us can say how much limited game time in the last couple of years was a factor in that. In hindsight, the move to Utd probably wasnt the best move for him.

I hope he does well, seems a nice guy, and the easy choice would have been to sit on his arse here rather than accept a deadline day transfer. Bielsa obviously fancies him so I hope it works out for the lad.

RooneyLegend

Clubs are good at wasting money. Not sure how Leeds figured he's worth that sort of fee.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I still think Amad should have been ahead of him. Sending a £40m purchase on loan while the £15m one stays makes no sense.
Think that's dependant on where James/Amad is in the pecking order and how often they're expected to play. If minutes are limited, it makes sense for the younger, more talented player to go out on loan to play regularly and develop. It makes sense to keep James and loan Amad in this scenario. Conversely, If he's going to be starting 1 in 2 or 3 games then it's better to keep Amad and move James on.

Brightonian

Wish him very well indeed. There's a cracking little player in there somewhere, and Leeds will suit him much better than us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Think that's dependant on where James/Amad is in the pecking order and how often they're expected to play. If minutes are limited, it makes sense for the younger, more talented player to go out on loan to play regularly and develop. It makes sense to keep James and loan Amad in this scenario. Conversely, If he's going to be starting 1 in 2 or 3 games then it's better to keep Amad and move James on.
I tend to agree with your take were it not for the fact he was going to be playing in the Dutch League. We should have pushed for a PL loan and that would have been great.

RedIan

Good luck Dan, should do well at Leeds. He was a trier at United i liked him but seemed a little over awed at times and lost a little conFidence He may return to haunt us with his pace

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Your first and last sentences are at odds sir.
My point was that he's at the level required to play for ManUnited... as a sub.
But since he's below not only 2 but 4-5 players in the pecking order it makes sense to let him go.

RedDevil-85

Good luck to Daniel James!
Seems a good lad and i wish him all the best.

Tony Babangida

Not many players that could move to Leeds and still be likeable but he’s one. Always gave his all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Have to respect it. If only some others in the squad had a similar desire to play games.
Well done to him. Made a great decision for his career. Now it's up to him to prove he's good enough for the PL. He'll be under an excellent coach to improve himself.

I've maintained for a long while now that he simply wasn't good enough for Manchester United. For me, there's a basic level of intelligence, physicality and/or technical quality that you should have in solid squad players and I haven't seen that in him. He has pace but is unable to use it due to a lack of upper body strength and ability to manipulate the ball. His decision making is weak. And his decision making in the final third is muddled too. So all in all, I think we made the right decision as did he. Maybe he'll improve on all those aspects under Bielsa and away from the high presure environment of Manchester United.

Shimo

I so wanted him to succeed here but, think it was just a level to high for him. I think he will do very very well for Leeds.

Have to say, thinking back, that debut goal against Chelsea, can't think of a time in recent history I truly had tears in my eye. Was so happy for him at that moment. That's the thing with James, boy did he give it his all on the pitch and that kind of effort is something every fan of United should hold in great respect and have kind words for him

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Right decision for all parties, and hopefully he goes on to have a good carer as he appear like a good person.

Abraxas

Nice to see a guy that loves to play football and moved to make that happen. You could see that in his performances. No, they weren't good enough in terms of quality but it was very high effort stuff, he gave himself every chance but it wasn't to be.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Classy and respectful young lad, didnt work out as we hoped, but not for lack of trying. He will go on to have a good career, and best of luck to him

Lyng

Going to miss his attitude on the pitch. Such a good lad, hope he does well in the future.

cyberman

We should loan him back every time we play City since Pep had no idea how to handle him

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
James with his speed needs space to run. It was obvious he did very well against teams who play a lot further up the pitch (City). Anyway, hope he does well on a personal level, but Leeds get relegated.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Generated his own move? Respect to him. Worked hard, great attitude, just not the right fit. Wish him well. And wish all our squad players had his attitude and work rate.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Still maintain if he knew how to do a shimmy or a step over or at least something to try and send a defender the wrong way he’d be lethal, but then I almost feel like I’d be the same way and never think to do one when playing with my mates so maybe it’s harder to coach and psychologically sink in than I think.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
He got a lot of stick on here but I liked him. Wish nothing but the best. (Unless he’s playing against us of course)

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Still maintain if he knew how to do a shimmy or a step over or at least something to try and send a defender the wrong way he’d be lethal, but then I almost feel like I’d be the same way and never think to do one when playing with my mates so maybe it’s harder to coach and psychologically sink in than I think.
He better off the left. On the right he can only go one way. He doesn’t cross all that well/confidently. Cutting in off the left he has another option in his locker and can also go outside and hit a decent cross with his left. I was thinking too the amount of stick he was getting v Wolves. The last time we played them he had an assist. We just have really spoilt fans.

Marwood

One of very few (if any?) signings post Fergie who can walk away with his head held high.

He just isnt good enough, but none of us can say how much limited game time in the last couple of years was a factor in that. In hindsight, the move to Utd probably wasnt the best move for him.

I hope he does well, seems a nice guy, and the easy choice would have been to sit on his arse here rather than accept a deadline day transfer. Bielsa obviously fancies him so I hope it works out for the lad.
I think moving to us was an incredible move for him. He's just played for Manchester United, on a pretty regualar basis, for two years. He could never have dreamed it.

Then he gets a fairly big money move to another Prem club.

I'd say this has all been pretty amazing for a guy of his talent level.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably for the best.

Shame he had to go to Leeds, of course - but good luck, etc.

Nothing against the lad - tried his best, just wasn't meant to be.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I'm excited about our new signings but without James we have the laziest set of forwards around, cavani aside.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
James will likely be Harrison's replacement come January / next summer. Harrison will be pushing for a move in the next couple of windows.

Interesting to see how James gets on, but I have to admit he has been one of the most infuriating players I have watched at United recently, so was delighted we managed to sell him for a good fee.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’ll have a better career than Zaha. That’s my prediction.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Agreed completely.

Credit to him for leaving with class in the circumstances. I think we'd all rather see him filling in giving it his all than a sulky Martial on the bench, but that's the wages.
Speak for yourself I’d rather see Martial every day of the week!

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I like him, seems like a nice guy. Always gave 100%

I wonder if the fact that he's joined Leeds will make any United fan dislike him?

He's very hard to dislike - which is almost an insult to him because a large part of what I feel towards him is just indifference. Maybe if I liked him more as a player I'd dislike him now for being a Leeds one.