Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I can get behind this sort of signing. Not the biggest name or hype but shows you have to be hungry on the pitch as a player to be at United. And that’s exactly what this is.

I’ve never watched him play but from seeing people’s analysis and video, he’s a speed demon who does the right things.

Again, I can get behind that. May not be the most skilled player but this lad looks like he has a knack for getting into the right areas and making the right plays. Just to be able to get some width and service alone would be huge. You’re only as capable/creative as the field around you so opening up a touchline would hugely benefit the entire team.

I don’t necessarily care about the production here. It’s more so a nod to getting players who do the correct things/tendencies and this very much echoes that. Getting folks who know the fundamentals and rebuild ourselves from there. Let’s leave no stone unturned and just go step by step.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Loublaze

ATLien
I have an eye for a player.
So what is it about the kid that impresses you besides his pace that has been mentioned to death already?

Second highest number of assists for an under 21 year old in the division and he wasn’t playing much at the start of the season.
Fair point. Im not trying to sound harsh but the numbers are not earth shattering all the same, he's played almost 28 full matches. Im just skeptical about these types of signings but im good with it considering there's little risk involved.

Ok - how about this one then. Jamie Vardy scored 20 goals in 63 matches in the Championship....at the age of 26-27
Vardy is the quintessential late bloomer, his two seasons in the championship weren't as impressive as his time in the conference and he peaked in that title winning season. He's an established top flight player of course now.

Joe Gomez. Gareth Bale. Michael dawson. Jack butland. Nathan redmond. Demarai Gray. James Maddison. Kyle walker. Dele Alli was league 1. Robertson and Van Dijk SPL. David Brooks. Trippier.
Clyne, Moses, Zaha, Andy Johnson, oxlade chamberlain, walcott, dean ashton, peter crouch. Theres more I’m not thinking of as well.

Generally, the younger they are when you sign them, the better.

Players like godfrey and aarons at norwich look brilliant, and already have a full season pro football under their belts.

Still, like i said earlier, theres a strange snobbery about lower league signings.

Its like we dont learn, 6 years of big, shiny, expensive ‘proven’ signings and at our lowest point in three decades people are still convinced that the answer is more. We’ve became an easy last payday for fat cats and crocks and players entering their twilight. Lets sign more from that category.
Im not asking for so called galacticos, ive seen links to Dybala and I think he'd be misfit. Adding Van Dijk to this list is a reach don't you think? Ive already stated that im ok with this signing (if it comes to fruition). However im skeptical because United have had no success in the past with signings like this. Remember Powell? Im not getting excited especially as Swansea fans were just saying the kid looked like a league 2 player just not long ago (off one of their forums and I posted some quotes).

On top of that he seems one dimensional, nothing but speed, we've been down this route before with players like David Bellion, and we also had the likes of Obertan and Bebe under Fergie who never impressed. Most of the players you mentioned were established in those lower leagues or were rare young talents who made their professional debuts at age 17-18 like Walcott and Gray to be my recollection. Brooks was a Man City youth prodigy. Apparently Everton, Leeds and Newcastle are the other clubs interested.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seems like a brilliant mid table team signing. Suits us

Mainoldo

Only welsh player we should be after is Brooks. That’s a clever signing. Not this headless chicken.

haram

We could sell him back to Swansea if it didn’t work out anyway.

HailtotheKing

I can get behind this sort of signing. Not the biggest name or hype but shows you have to be hungry on the pitch as a player to be at United. And that’s exactly what this is.

I’ve never watched him play but from seeing people’s analysis and video, he’s a speed demon who does the right things.

Again, I can get behind that. May not be the most skilled player but this lad looks like he has a knack for getting into the right areas and making the right plays. Just to be able to get some width and service alone would be huge. You’re only as capable/creative as the field around you so opening up a touchline would hugely benefit the entire team.

I don’t necessarily care about the production here. It’s more so a nod to getting players who do the correct things/tendencies and this very much echoes that. Getting folks who know the fundamentals and rebuild ourselves from there. Let’s leave no stone unturned and just go step by step.
Holy shit boys, we're actually gonna have someone who can cross!

NK86

I would have more faith in these type of signings if Ole had shown pedigree earlier to uncover hidden gems. Nothing he has done proves that so far so I am skeptical how this will fare.

Let's hope we are getting a Bale than a Powell.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Pretty impressive ball control at high speed. His running style and speed reminds me of Overmars.

Two footed, good basic skill, super fast, hard worker, young, British, and play in position we're not blessed with. With that low transfer fee, also.

haram

I would have more faith in these type of signings if Ole had shown pedigree earlier to uncover hidden gems. Nothing he has done proves that so far so I am skeptical how this will fare.

While this is true, he has to start somewhere. You never know, even if it is unlikely.

BlueHaze

Anyone in this thread who has actually watched him and can give an honest assesment of strenghts/weakness? I'm not one to throw tantrums just because it's not a big name but any Swansea fans perhaps?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pretty impressive ball control at high speed. His running style and speed reminds me of Overmars.

Two footed, good basic skill, super fast, hard worker, young, British, and play in position we're not blessed with. With that low transfer fee, also.

Overmars is a good comparison.

SER19

Nah. Smalling is a useful comparison. His rise to United was very rapid.

He had been playing non league football before Fulham and had only played about 10 games for Fulham when Fergie made his move.
Yeah, I knew there was something strange about that deal. Fergie got right to it when he wanted to. Smalling and Jones, Rooney, carrick. When he saw English based talent he used his position to just get them. He’d have signed a few guys Liverpool have signed in recent years. Also think he’d have went hard on Kane before he hit the highest levels and made him unobtainable

Mox+

Be wary of the sneaky tricks of youtube compilations. The creator will invert some clips to make it look like they are using their other feet when dribbling etc. A clue is often to look at the shirt number.

Laphroaig

In his one summer window for Cardiff, you mean? He's not had the opportunity to show his pedigree yet in the PL. However - he's been brilliant at spotting and developing attacking talent at Molde, it might be his biggest strength. But who knows to what extent this signing (and scouting) is OGS or United? I certainly have higher hopes for James if it actually is an OGS decision to sign him.

macheda14

Seems like a brilliant mid table team signing. Suits us
Seems like a brilliant mid table signing that could then go on to be courted by the top clubs for triple the price next season. I say that knowing it’s most likely not the case. But how often recently have we gone ‘what the feck is our scouting department up to’ when we suddenly see players like Kante turn up in the prem seemingly from nowhere

NK86

In his one summer window for Cardiff, you mean? He's not had the opportunity to show his pedigree yet in the PL. However - he's been brilliant at spotting and developing attacking talent at Molde, it might be his biggest strength. But who knows to what extent this signing (and scouting) is OGS or United? I certainly have higher hopes for James if it actually is an OGS decision to sign him.
Not saying Ole cannot do it. Just that I have not seen his expertise in identifying young talented players. Let's hope you are right.

NK86

While this is true, he has to start somewhere. You never know, even if it is unlikely.
Yup. As long as this kid doesn't stink up the place like Sanchez and can provide width and good crosses from the right, he is already an upgrade.

Loublaze

ATLien
Just noticed he runs a bit like Sterling and body wise resembles Luke Shaw. I wonder how long til the caf experts start calling him fat Dan

Loublaze

ATLien
feck off with this shit you muppet. He’s a Cleary talented youngster who may have potential to kick on.. hows investing 50 million in martial going?
48 goals and 19 assists, not a bad return in a bad period for the club i'd say. Can't believe you have so much anger over a player who hasn't even put pen to paper.

Loublaze

ATLien
Only welsh player we should be after is Brooks. That’s a clever signing. Not this headless chicken.
:lol:

Yes. I hope he's been properly scouted, it seems rushed to me if a signing is indeed close. It would've leaked to the public if United were watching him. I feel they just looked at his pace and jumped the gun, hoping to get the next Bale (Welsh). Giggs watched him once apparently a few months ago (Swansea fans mentioned this on their forum) and he's stalled on a contract renewal since.

Lets hope this doesnt end up another Zaha.
Or a Buttner or a Varela

Mr Smith

Surely this is as much on the scouts as it is Ole?

The White Pele

Our squad is so desperately short of natural width we’re at the point where any decent wide player can be considered a significant improvement to the squad and hopefully creates more space for the likes of Pogba through the middle.

Our “width”:

Shaw: keeps the width but can’t really beat a man or whip a cross in. Only a threat in overlap situations

Young: can’t beat a man, inconsistent crossing, needs replacing

Dalot: our most skilful wide man but a full back by trade and inconsistent end product

Valencia: unused. Could never cross. Leaving.

Not a single midfield player in the squad that offers natural width.

I wonder how James compares vs Chong

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Ole said yesterday on the pressconference that it Will take time to catch UP. Its taken Pochettio 5 years in Tottenham. Klopp what is IT 4 season? Ole Will not aim for players like bale or sanches. Hes planning to build his team wich Will be hardworking. Speedy football with both possesion and counter atack. He do not think they Will win the leauge next year cause it take time to build a strong team and get all the rubbish out. There is No Quick fix, atleast not if you want a team that shall be able to be a contender year after year.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Well mr Smith you dont know shit do you. For Molde solskjær has found several gems. Gems that was sold out to Europe for good money. Thats one of the Things Norwegian clubs needs to be good at cause they need the money. United dont need stars now. United need players that Will be so proud to wear the United jersey that they Will give 130% in each game. Not overpayed lapdogs.

Classical Mechanic

In that case write him off now.
I’m not saying that but it was false equivalency because Bale was also in a defensive position then.

At 15m this is a no risk transfer. Hard to get excited about though. It seems they are hoping for a Brooks like transfer as he was a similar age and made little impact in the Championship.

Johan07

It should be at least. What we need more than anything is getting the manager, scouting department and the youth setup working together against the same goals. And communicating. Mourinho had no interest in the United scouting system, he wanted to do his own thing using Mendes and his cronies. We spent a lot of money on expanding our scouting system over the last couple of years, now we need people at the club to start working together and hopefully it will render results.

Flytan

Well mr Smith you dont know shit do you. For Molde solskjær has found several gems. Gems that was sold out to Europe for good money. Thats one of the Things Norwegian clubs needs to be good at cause they need the money. United dont need stars now. United need players that Will be so proud to wear the United jersey that they Will give 130% in each game. Not overpayed lapdogs.
He's a Liverpool fan though.

Point is no one cares about the badge anymore. It's a thing of the past. Look at the best players at every club, even Messi forces new contracts yearly. We need players who are hungry for success and don't get complacent when they "make it". I personally like this signing, but more as a punt then as a "he's gonna save us!!!! he's young and loves the badge!!!". We sign so many players who care about marketing and it's time to sign players who care about success.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That Ali was well known? He certainly was on here.

When we were first linked with this James lad i did a search on here to see some insight and they'd been like two posts about him. Of course now everyone claims to have rated him
Dele was only 'KNOWN' after Wimbledon punked us 3 zip.....So yes. Everyone will claim to have rated and known him...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's a Liverpool fan though.
Means nothing really.

John Terry was a Man United fan. Jamie Carragher was an Everton fan, Ole was a Liverpool fan, Harry Kane was an Arsenal fan. All went on to be incredible servants for the teams they played for.

Professional players are generally pretty professional.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
48 goals and 19 assists, not a bad return in a bad period for the club i'd say. Can't believe you have so much anger over a player who hasn't even put pen to paper.
A bad period that he is major contributor of which his shit house mentality. Take away his very good first season and then look at those stats. His return for the last three seasons has been bang on average.

Its not the player, its the bullshit comment from somebody on this forum.

minh_loc_xoay

Seems like a brilliant mid table signing that could then go on to be courted by the top clubs for triple the price next season. I say that knowing it’s most likely not the case. But how often recently have we gone ‘what the feck is our scouting department up to’ when we suddenly see players like Kante turn up in the prem seemingly from nowhere
That bolded part depresses me... :( Why would we even sign players if we know the likeliness of him turning into a star is non-existant?

Status
Not open for further replies.