Danny Welbeck

Idxomer

Rashford is the better goalscorer.

Welbeck is the better footballer.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Tbf Welbeck 11/12 was better than the current Rashford. Really good all round game and could actually put the ball in the net. But Rashford in his prime (first half of 19/20) was threatening to be an absolutely top player. I don’t think there is much of a debate to be honest.

Drainy

I was Welbeck's biggest fan, but he was always a great team player who linked things up, got stuck in and chipped in with 1 in 2-3 games as a striker. Which is fine when you have goals from out wide and number 10.

Rashford is more of a match winner from individual quality, Welbeck was about incremental winning of battles and making sure your decisive players can win it.

Hammondo

Welbeck is a better footballer, though scored some really nice goals he was inconsistent with them.

As others have said Rashford does well with space, when we played defensive counter attacking he scored goals consistently.

In a top team though you need what welbeck has, in our failure seasons we have been complaining we don't have more players like welbeck for a reason.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably two of the most frustrating players we’ve had. I never rated Welbeck but he did work hard. Still would rather have peak Rashford

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Welbeck (at his best) suited his time and Rashford (at his best) suits this period. Both different types of players as a left sided forward but both as productive albeit in different ways.

Orion.

Prime Welbeck would be the perfect foil for current Ronaldo - a player who is the focal point to occupy defenders and do his battling for him.
He was a very good footballer.

Paul_Scholes18

Still miss Welbeck. He was quality apart from the injuries and his inability to score the easy goals.

He was not a star striker for a top side, but a good squad player.

His linkup play was always really good and I think his partnership with Rooney was top class before Rooney had declined too much.

I think it was an error letting him go, but given his injury record since then it worked out quite well.
Problem is have we replaced him well? I say no. LVG wanted Wilson to replace him, but he was not good enough.
We then tried with older star strikers, but always lacked strikers on the bench. Martial and Rashford has not been good enough either.

Annouchez

I got real scared when I saw that a thread about Danny Welbeck was the top post. I calmed down when I saw it wasn’t in the transfer forum! I wouldn’t put it past post-Fergie United to miss out on Nunez and then sign Welbeck…

Tap

I’ll have a fit Welbeck over this current Rashford. He’s a great team player, brings others into play and is a hard worker. Not world class and has a tendency to f up goal scoring opportunities but definitely a good and useful squad player to have.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How is Welbeck a better footballer? Rashford IMO is better in all facets except for heading.

Foxbatt

How is Welbeck a better footballer? Rashford IMO is better in all facets except for heading.
And Welbeck is the much better team player and makes a much better effort. I agree that Rashford is much more talented than Welbeck. He is also the better scorer too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If you combined the best attributes of the two, you'd have a complete forward

AshRK

Funny how people have suddenly started to overrate him. The guy was a mediocre player who was rightly sold. The guy performed worse for Arsenal. Played under two great managers in PL and couldn't crack it. Rashford is miles ahead of him.

Revaulx

His overall game as a striker was/is vastly better than Rashford's. But I described old Danny at the time as the anti-striker: excellent at everything until it was time to put the ball in the net. Which, sadly, for a forward is pretty important.
Spot on!

One the one hand I was disappointed when he left United, because he brought stuff to the forward line than nobody else could do. On the other, he clearly didn’t deserve a guaranteed place as his finishing was miles off good enough.

AshRK

I was more gutted when we sold Chicharito than Danny. Goals wins you matches and danny could never be trusted as a forward

Paul_Scholes18

Spot on!

One the one hand I was disappointed when he left United, because he brought stuff to the forward line than nobody else could do. On the other, he clearly didn’t deserve a guaranteed place as his finishing was miles off good enough.
Agree he was not a certain starter, but a good squad player. Thought he worked well with both Rooney and Van Persie. Had a better partnership with both then they had together. Although Rooney and Persie much more clinical.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was tedious for about 5 years after where every time Welbeck occasionally scored there would be loads of "och shouldn't have sold him" posts.

Revaulx

It was tedious for about 5 years after where every time Welbeck occasionally scored there would be loads of "och shouldn't have sold him" posts.
This was particularly ridiculous given that scoring was probably the weakest part of Welbeck’s game.

Lee565

There was a period where he did look really good after we sold him to arsenal and then he had that awful injury and never recovered from

lost7

Maguire is so slow, makes him look like the fastest player in the league

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's been outstanding. Really glad for him.

Trequarista10

Stark reminder that players who weren't good enough for us 8 years ago are better than our many of our current options.

If they were born in the same year, Welbeck would have had a better United career than Rashford imo, injuries aside.

Although tbf, it's easier for Welbeck to impress today given he's playing for the superior team.

Red_toad

Shame our forwards aren’t allowed to point to where they wish the midfielders to play the ball and our midfielders given all the time in the world to play said passes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He is obviously incentivized to raise his game against us, which he frequently does. Quality mid table player beyond that, nothing more.

Canuckred64

Can't say Welbeck has changed any since he played for us. Great work rate, always gets himself in the best position to score, but couldn't put the ball in the net to save his life.