4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He brings everyone around him down to his level. Sad to say but true.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Physically he just isn't at the races at all now, his awareness of what's going on around him and his passing isn't near good enough either. A mere shadow of the player he once was sadly.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I would agree that he has been a great servant. Came through and stayed when the fans were against him and he was made a bit of a scapegoat. Persevered and broke into the first team, became a solid partner for Carrick in the middle for a few years until his illness.

Not really sure why it is being questioned - why would you say that he hasn't been a great servant?

Not excusing his performances this season of course - he is finished and needs to retire, that is similarly not in question.
I would just say he did nothing out of the ordinary. He had a manager who believed in him, was given a chance and played games for the club. A club where it's a no-brainer to stay at, if the manager favours you.

Nothing more or less. He's a nice guy on top of that. Great servant doesn't really come into it for me.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Complete passenger today - except for the times he set up nice attacks for Yeovil. Think it's about time he conceded that he's never going to be a United player again. A great fighter no doubt, but sadly that's not quite enough. On current form I'd much rather see just about any youth player ahead of him.

OneUnited24

I cant see LvG keeping him past next summer. I think depromoting him as vice captain was the first indication of that, the rest has been how little hes played since the start of the season

Ekeke

Usually the person holding in midfield or at the bottom of the diamond is just tasked with keeping passing moves ticking. Fletcher played the role the opposite way today. Instead of keeping moves ticking, he killed them dead looking for passes to players directly behind him

Anduin

I'm really, really sorry, but he is completely shot and finished now. He should never ever play for us again, as harsh as it sounds. Those Yeovil midfielders outplayed him today, there really is nothing more to say.

Irrational.

The position he plays is a crucial one. Unfortunately, he cannot be trusted with the responsibility that comes with that position.

His United days are over. Thanks for the memories, Darren.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I would just say he did nothing out of the ordinary. He had a manager who believed in him, was given a chance and played games for the club. A club where it's a no-brainer to stay at, if the manager favours you.

Nothing more or less. He's a nice guy on top of that. Great servant doesn't really come into it for me.
He endured a lot of time where he was not first choice and potentially even out of favour, he showed loyalty and it was returned by SAF. I can't think of many players who do something "out of the ordinary" - by your logic here, Giggs and Scholes wouldn't be classified as 'great servants' either, they had a manager who believed in them and stayed at the club where it is a no brainer to stay.

I would suggest your definition is flawed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah he's done, has struggled in every game he's played. He might want to keep playing so he should either go to a lower club or just retire, sadly the illness took too much out of him.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Really looks like the end. It's a shame that his illness struck just as he was hitting his peak but the player he is now is of very little use to us.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
The time a very high ball came to him summed up his contribution IMO. Some of our more technical players would've at least tried to bring it down, but Fletcher just aimlessly headed it back into midfield.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Awesome vision to pick out Herrera to earn himself an assist. Vision.

Sheldon69

Irrelevant of past injuries , illness ect I can't honestly see fletcher starting again once blind is fit .
It's sad to say but an oil tanker can turn quicker .

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He endured a lot of time where he was not first choice and potentially even out of favour, he showed loyalty and it was returned by SAF. I can't think of many players who do something "out of the ordinary" - by your logic here, Giggs and Scholes wouldn't be classified as 'great servants' either, they had a manager who believed in them and stayed at the club where it is a no brainer to stay.

I would suggest your definition is flawed.
Perhaps it is flawed. I personally don't give a huge amount of credit to Scholes and Giggs for staying at United for so long. I praise them for being good enough, for having the work ethic to remain good enough, and for their conduct, amongst other things. Perhaps that actually is the criteria you, and others, have for being a great servant. In which case it's just a case of my definition being off.

And taking it back to Fletcher, I don't see his actions when he wasn't a first choice player as showing loyalty. But that's just me I guess.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
It's just sad to see what the injury robbed him of. I don't think he's as bad as he looked today at all and if he played a long run of games he'd be more comfortable but it's pretty obvious now that he's not really capable of playing at the level we need. I hope - if the rumours about him not getting a new deal when his expires at the end of the season - he can find a club where he can play and enjoy the last few years of his career in good health. He's a good lad, Fletch, and he deserves it.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I still don't get how he looked so good in pre season. Granted playing friendlies against half fit teams isn't a proper barometer of quality, but even accounting for that, the drop since the season proper started has been shocking.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Perhaps it is flawed. I personally don't give a huge amount of credit to Scholes and Giggs for staying at United for so long. I praise them for being good enough, for having the work ethic to remain good enough, and for their conduct, amongst other things. Perhaps that actually is the criteria you, and others, have for being a great servant. In which case it's just a case my definition being off.

And taking back to Fletcher, I don't see his actions when he wasn't a first choice player as showing loyalty. But that's just me I guess.
Well then we appear to have reached an impasse. Either way, he definitely shouldn't be in the first team going forwards.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I still don't get how he looked so good in pre season. Granted playing friendlies against half fit teams isn't a proper barometer of quality, but even accounting for that, the drop since the season proper started has been shocking.
Aye, it's strange. Just goes to show the huge drop-off in intensity in non-competitive games. I'll be taking pre-season form with an even bigger pinch of salt from now on.

Devil may care

Just can't win the 50/50's against even a League One side which was such a big part of his game, and his passing is terrible any time he tries anything but a safe sideways ball. It's a sad situation for him but he is completely done as a United player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Really poor and shouldn't start games for us anymore. He can come on in the last 10 mins but other than that he isn't up to it anymore unfortunately

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
How does he keep getting appearances for us? Even with injuries, just play one of the kids instead or something.

Red_toad

I would agree that he has been a great servant. Came through and stayed when the fans were against him and he was made a bit of a scapegoat. Persevered and broke into the first team, became a solid partner for Carrick in the middle for a few years until his illness.

Not really sure why it is being questioned - why would you say that he hasn't been a great servant?

Not excusing his performances this season of course - he is finished and needs to retire, that is similarly not in question.
As far as I recall, Fletch & Scholes worked, Carrick & Fletch usually resulted in crap midfield performances.

Getsme

The Club will most likely let his contract run out before offering him some sort of role within the Club. I honestly think he would rather retire than play for someone else.

Boycott

Fletcher was better than Carrick until his illness which has really derailed his career. Fletcher at his best was awesome in getting up and down the pitch, winning tackles, stifling the oppositions and was handy for some goals. He had a lot of balls which I felt Carrick lacked then. Carrick has got better as he's got older where his composure on the ball and passing is his main role and the more all round game he had to do in his younger years was passed onto others.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Sad times to see him struggling. Imagine the mental of strain knowing what was and what his inevitable faith his at United. He should retire and take a coaching role with the youth team(s), if it's an option of course.

Jagga7

He wouldn't have been out of place playing for Yeovil. I don't get it, I understand physically he's not the same player but he's struggling to control and pass the ball. Maybe it's just a confidence issue.

devil in me

Would be the best thing for him for him to move on if retiring isn't an option for him at the moment. The sad thing is, I don't think he's good enough for anyone in the premier league anymore, but all the best to him if he does leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.