View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Infra-red

I agree that his distribution has regressed but not to the point that it is "horrendous". I would be very surprised if he went to Real. I expect him to renew his contract.

It goes without saying that a settled back 4 will be huge for him. It would be the same for any other goalkeeper. If Vidic and Ferdinand from a few years ago were playing today he would not be coming for that corner.
A commanding centre half is a must. De Gea is a very fine keeper, but coming for those kind of balls is never going to be his strength.

JoaquinJoaquin

Disappointing day for De Gea today, I thought he was over his nervousness at dealing with set plays but today shows he is not entirely over it, His distribution was poor again to. People can say about him being young and to an extent that is correct but you see Courtois performing at a much higher standard, that shows the level De Gea should be at by now but it seems his progress has stalled.
He may pick back up once he gets a settled defence but either way he needs to really up his game ASAP

RuudTom83

Earlier in the season I believed it was unfair to judge the center forwards due to the crappy midfield playing behind them. Once the midfield was improved, the chances were created, and RVP and co. have started scoring again.

So whilst De Gea is being played behind a different defensive back line every match, errors and uncertainty will appear in his performances.

Sam

I don't really understand what's happened to his kicking tbh. In his first season it was the one thing that really stood out, his ability to pick a pass, and ping the ball all round the shop. Its slowly regressed to nearly Kuszack-esqu standards.

Very strange :confused:

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Not his best by any means but that 2nd half, facing the sun, he made a crucial save that really had a goal written all over it, so he did his job.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He's never played in front of these guys before in his life, as the season progresses so will his ability and standard of performance. The trust isn't there between the guys and that will be solved with more playing time together.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I just hope we keep this goalkeeping coach for longer than a year as well as hopefully having a more consistent back four ahead of him. You need consistency around you as a goalkeeper, and that is one thing de Gea has lacked in his career. No excuses for some things today though, such as his distribution and coming out for the West Ham goal.

togg

I reckon the confidence of a goalkeeper is very much driven by the quality of the defence in front of him. He's probably having to second guess everything since there has been no continuity in front and he doesn't quite know how each of the defence will play. It was a mistake, but actually, overall I thought he coped pretty well. He's obviously not a Schmikes or a VDS yet, but the potential is there for what is a very young goalkeeper....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I wonder if the constant changes to the GK coach has unsettled him somewhat.
I'm almost certain it has. His first months with us, he was a poorer keeper than he'd been for Atletico - his instincts seemed to be battling with his new instructions. Last season he seemed to grow in confidence in the area, but lost some of his distribution skills.

We've had two seasons from him where he has been one of our best players. This season I think he's being asked to change his game again and he's doing it with a goalkeeping coach who isn't familiar with the PL and a defence that not only changes every game, it's full of players who aren't familiar with playing as PL defenders.

I think that "give it three months" talk from LvG applies just as much to DdG as to the outfield and perhaps even more, because LvG and his coaching team are learning about PL defending as well.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
The goal was entirely his fault but after that I thought he made one or two decent saves, particuarly the one by his near post from behind Shaw.
Still seems stuttering when coming out to claim things but was mentioned prior yesterdays gaff, hope he comes back into some form soon, we need him back to his best really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a shame because it has been one of his strengths in the past.
Not really.

He came with a reputation for being great with the ball at his feet but he's never shown this at United. Not consistently anyway. He's really excellent kicking the ball out of his hands but his kicking from the ground has always been fairly erratic and his long throws are almost non-existent.

Don't think his mistake at the weekend was particularly terrible fwiw. Although it is part of a general pattern this season of him not playing very well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's a shame because it has been one of his strengths in the past.
It wasn't a strength but it was a darn sight better than what it has regressed to. People say it is because he doesn't trust his defenders but that can be blamed for the failure to keep goals out but not distribution.. if a pass is there to be made, make it.. you can't blame the fact he doesn't trust his defenders and especially not in a LVG side. The dutch keeper for example was excellent at passing the ball out, in fact there were many keepers who impressed during the world cup and became cult figures.. DDG needs to up his game on this front - I can't stand keepers with shit distribution, reminds me of watching England whenever the ball gets played back to him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My only concern with DDG is the contract. I hope we don't leave it until the summer or next season before negotiating a new deal with him. If anyone deserves a pay rise it's DDG.

He made a mistake on Saturday, but as Ogden points out, it's testament to how much he has developed that nobody discussed it. Once he has a settled back-4 in front of him he'll be back to his best. Courtois is getting a lot of praise, rightfully so, but if he kept having a new defence to protect him every game then he too would struggle for his best form.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It is not surprising he struggled against West Ham, it is just the way they play, load the box up with their 7ft 16 stone cloggers, smash into everyone on set pieces.
A more substantial keeper would of just cleared them out when he went to claim the ball, but he also wasnt helped by our lack of physical presence across the back in general.

Cina

Really needed that. Think he knows he had a poor start to the season and hopefully that'll give him some much needed confidence. First time Baines has had a penalty saved in the PL too.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
On one hand, it was a shit pen. On the other, Dave saves :drool:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He reminds me of Cillessen, 20 penalties and hasnt saved one. I dont know his penalty statistics, but it reflects his confidence overall. On another note, what happened to the deal with Romero? Maybe we will be back for him in Januray, De Gea needs some serious competition, even though i dont rate the guy.
Like Cillessen eh? Hang your head in shame! :devil:

The Red Thinker

The difference between someone like Simon Mignolet and David De Gea is simple. David makes the big saves. The stuff of legends.

Both may be great shotstoppers but De Gea has that extra something that guarantees him a note in the history books. Well done David!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That should help his confidence considering some of the criticism lately. It was a fairly poor penalty from Baines, but De Gea dealt with it well and the save was good all things considered.

ottosec

Best thing about this is that the "he never saves penalties" gang will finally shut the feck up.