Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

I can't remember him ever conceding a goal from a free kick and thinking he should have done better. Sometimes it's just a great free kick and there's nothing you can do about it. The freekick on Saturday was just a great free kick, no blame can be attached to Dave.

His penalty saving record is awful though, has to be the thing he's worst at. Must have saved about 3 in his 8 years here.
This really makes my testicle sore (But it's 5 since he joined us, out of 27), there's a reason penalty conversion is little over 80% overall and it's not because goalkeepers have the advantage. Even if you correctly guess which side the player is going for, if the ball is well placed and hit hard enough there's very little chance of stopping it. Camarasa's penalty for Cardiff, is someone actually going to argue that there's a goalkeeper on earth that would save it ? Even if you knew exactly where he'd stick it, the height of it, goalkeepers would struggle to get to it.

His biggest issue is related to coming off the line

Djemba-Djemba

This really makes my testicle sore (But it's 5 since he joined us, out of 27), there's a reason penalty conversion is little over 80% overall and it's not because goalkeepers have the advantage. Even if you correctly guess which side the player is going for, if the ball is well placed and hit hard enough there's very little chance of stopping it. Camarasa's penalty for Cardiff, is someone actually going to argue that there's a goalkeeper on earth that would save it ? Even if you knew exactly where he'd stick it, the height of it, goalkeepers would struggle to get to it.

His biggest issue is related to coming off the line
:nervous:

I've never heard that phrase before.

I'm not saying his penalty saving record is anything to worry about, I'm just saying it's poor. Which it is.

He's saved two against Everton and one against Arsenal. What are the other 2 he's saved out of interest?

MadMike

I don't blame him for the goals against Southampton. Even if he got some fingertips to the first one it was hit with great force and bending away, towards the top corner. It was extremely hard to get a strong enough hand on it to turn it away and most keepers wouldn't have got near it.

His kicking has been unusually off lately though. Needs to rediscover his kicking boots a bit.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was sat behind the goal, and it did seem at the time that he could have kept it out - but when you watch it back, Valery hit it so feckin' hard that I wouldn't be too harsh on David.

Free Kick was perfect though, nothing he could do about that...

Skills

Snitch
First one he should've saved it really. Keepers make mistakes though, I don't get why people are so defensive.

UncleBob

I've never heard that phrase before.

I'm not saying his penalty saving record is anything to worry about, I'm just saying it's poor. Which it is.

He's saved two against Everton and one against Arsenal. What are the other 2 he's saved out of interest?
Liverpool (Gerrard) in the league, CL vs CSKA

I fail to see the point of even mentioning it.

UncleBob

25 yards out at least, the same side of the goal he's stood and he gets two hands to it. Why is it absurd?

As I say, I don't think it's a howler or anything but it is a small mistake.
I'll just copy what I wrote earlier.
People need to stop feeling and ignore the distance, look at the situation itself instead. It takes less than a second from the ball is hit until it's in the back of the net, also observe the rotation of the ball in air, it's out towards the corner and De Gea's view is slightly blocked by Shaw. The time you have to react once you see the ball flying is about feck all.

I reckon it's naive to suggest that this is something anyone would expect De Gea to save, imo it'd go straight into a youtube compilation if he'd managed to keep it out...And it's fairly obvious that he doesn't connect well with it. I'm sure he's disappointed every time he doesn't make a save, but this one isn't close to being considered something that should be a routine save

MadMike

First one he should've saved it really. Keepers make mistakes though, I don't get why people are so defensive.
Why does believing that the shot was hardly saveable make anyone defensive? What's the criterion here?

el3mel

As far as I'm concerned , Buffon was trash in penalties too. Still top 3 or 2 best GKs in history.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People are defensive because others went way OTT with their criticism, calling him overrated and whatnot.

UncleBob

As far as I'm concerned , Buffon was trash in penalties too. Still top 3 or 2 best GKs in history.
He saved around 29% out of all of them.

I still fail to understand why people find penalty stats interesting.

It's nearly impossible to do a decent comparison because the differences in situations are huge, there's just no logic to it.

Alemar

Against CSKA in CL 15/16 and against Liverpool in 13/14. Looks like 5 out of 30 saved, so below 20%

On the other had, he saved 5 penalties out of 14 for Atletico which was a very good percentage.

His career total in all competitions is 11 saves out of 48 penalties (23%), which includes both clubs and Spain national team (both senior and under-21)

UncleBob

Not really defensive because it's De Gea, just find it interesting to see the lack of logic applied in the criticism.

SAFMUTD

I think the goals can't be catalogued as mistakes by De Gea, but I expected him to stop both on a good day. Maybe we have get used to such high level performances from him that when he doesn't make those kind of saves it seems rare...but Im not worried at all, he is a top top player and will prove it again.

el3mel

He saved around 29% out of all of them.

I still fail to understand why people find penalty stats interesting.

It's nearly impossible to do a decent comparison because the differences in situations are huge, there's just no logic to it.
That's not a good stats considering how long he has been playing.

el3mel

Average conversion rate is over 80%

Conversion rate vs Buffon is little over 70%

So yeah, I don't see your point
Buffon wasn't never good at pens. Anyone who followed him knows that. De Gea is neither. My point is it's normal for a keeper to be defective in one area and still be the best in the world. How many complete keepers are there ?

UncleBob

Buffon wasn't never good at pens. Anyone who followed him knows that. De Gea is neither. My point is it's normal for a keeper to be defective in one area and still be the best in the world. How many complete keepers are there ?
It's penalties, unless you're constantly falling over to one side before the penalty taker starts his run up then there's nothing to be defective at.

el3mel

It's penalties, unless you're constantly falling over to one side before the penalty taker starts his run up then there's nothing to be defective at.
Not really. Some keepers are definitely better than others in it, not just for luck but for obvious reasons. Some keepers have different techniques than others. Some prefer to predict an angle and take the decision to dive on it when the player shoots no matter what, before the player even shoots the keeper decided to dive on that angle. Some prefer to always dive at one angle in every pen no matter what and wait for his luck. Some prefer to not take a decision, wait and follow the player shooting it and dive in the correct direction most of times. The last group are the ones with the highest percentage of saving pens because they're most of time on the correct side, so the reason for not saving it will be mostly because the ball was too strong or too high for them.

It's an area a keeper can be brilliant or can be defective in it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course there are keepers who are shit at them, and keepers who are great at them.

Penalties are not luck.

UncleBob

Not really. Some keepers are definitely better than others in it, not just for luck but for obvious reasons. Some keepers have different techniques than others. Some prefer to predict an angle and take the decision to dive on it when the player shoots no matter what, before the player even shoots the keeper decided to dive on that angle. Some prefer to always dive at one angle in every pen no matter what and wait for his luck. Some prefer to not take a decision, wait and follow the player shooting it and dive in the correct direction most of times. The last group are the ones with the highest percentage of saving pens because they're most of time on the correct side, so the reason for not saving it will be mostly because the ball was too strong or too high for them.

It's an area a keeper can be brilliant or can be defective in it.
Link ?

Alemar

The last group are the ones with the highest percentage of saving pens because they're most of time on the correct side, so the reason for not saving it will be mostly because the ball was too strong or too high for them.
Based on what I remember, there were many, very many times when de Gea correctly guessed (or reacted even) a direction of a penalty but didn't manage to save. Very many times it was close but not enough.

el3mel

An example.

The Netherlands keeper dived on the right angle on all of them. There's no one with that insane luck of prediction. He was simply waiting for him to shoot and follow him. The reasons for not saving it will be either the ball was too strong or too high for him.

Based on what I remember, there were many, very many times when de Gea correctly guessed (or reacted even) a direction of a penalty but didn't manage to save. Very many times it was close but not enough.
If you're predicting one angle surely you'll dive on the correct one some times. The keeper here is depending on his luck. He predicts the player will shoot on one angle and decides to dive on it, before the player even shoots he has taken the decision. If he was lucky and predicted it right he'll jump on it, otherwise he'll jump on the opposite side. De Gea is like that, and many many keepers are like that too. They treat the PK as a gamble.

Alemar

De Gea is like that, and many many keepers are like that too. They treat the PK as a gamble.
Why not to amend it then? He needs to analyse what type of approach yields best results and adopt it via intensive training.

UncleBob

An example.

The Netherlands keeper dived on the right angle on all of them. There's no one with that insane luck of prediction. He was simply waiting for him to shoot and follow him. The reasons for not saving it will be either the ball was too strong or too high for him.

If you're predicting one angle surely you'll dive on the correct one some times. The keeper here is depending on his luck. He predicts the player will shoot on one angle and decides to dive on it, before the player even shoots he has taken the decision. If he was lucky and predicted it right he'll jump on it, otherwise he'll jump on the opposite side. De Gea is like that, and many many keepers are like that too. They treat the PK as a gamble.
You can clearly see that Krul is leaning in a specific direction before the penalty kick is taken, he has already decided where he's going.

Not to mention the obvious, that one goalkeeper in one World Cup shootout doesn't prove your point.

Your making a very specific claim, either it's based on your own beliefs or there are actual stats on it.

el3mel

You can clearly see that Krul is leaning in a specific direction before the penalty kick is taken, he has already decided where he's going.

Not to mention the obvious, that one goalkeeper in one World Cup shootout doesn't prove your point.

Your making a very specific claim, either it's based on your own beliefs or there are actual stats on it.

Here's another example.

Diego Alves, who was Valencia GK, had an insane penalty saving stat before leaving La Liga last year, which was 47%.

You can see from the video he's not just throwing himself aimlessly on one side from the start. He moves a little in the center as the player moves to shot before diving on one side.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-...appy-to-see-penalty-expert-diego-alves-depart

Interestingly, everyone says his other GK abilities were average at best so PKs are simply one of the abilities some GKs are better than others in it.

PSG 1:3 Man Utd

Andersons Dietician

Got to ask, how is he not grabbing that ball deep in extra time, should be clearing everyone out and just gathering it. Didn’t even have to go through anyone, instead throws a weak punch at it. Absolutely love him but that was a weird moment.

Alemar

David made a few saves, including a crucial touch on Mbappe one on one. Goal was impossible to save. Overall good game

Suedesi

Got to ask, how is he not grabbing that ball deep in extra time, should be clearing everyone out and just gathering it. Didn’t even have to go through anyone, instead throws a weak punch at it. Absolutely love him but that was a weird moment.
Pissed me off to no end. Kinda timid, when he should have been taken control.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
My only hypothesis is that the onrushing PSG player to his left caught his eyeline and he panicked.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So glad he came our for that one on one situation and did very well instead of his usual waiting in penalty box in one on one situatuons. That was very good.

However, he shpuld really work on hogh balls into our box, punching that ball and putting us under prrssure was really disappointing, any average keeper would have caught that, it was easy as it gets.

Andersons Dietician

Pissed me off to no end. Kinda timid, when he should have been taken control.
Yeah watching it happen you’re thinking great he’s going to run out grab this then fall on the ground and waste 30 seconds or so, it’s what you really expect of any keeper. I just can’t understand why he did what he did.

Still love him as he has basically won us games before but he had to do better there.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Showed his lack of big game composure in that moment, we forget because of how long he's been here but UCL knock out ties are as foreign to him as they are the likes of Rashford such has been our decline since DDG's been at the club

manunited1919

Almost gave me a heart attack there.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Showed his lack of big game composure in that moment
Yeah I agree. When you think about it, he doesn't have that much experience in em does he? Didn't even play in the Europa. Guess that was his issue at the world cup as well. He's always seemed a quick learner though. Shouldn't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.