Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizy

It doesn't matter how good Dave or what he has done for the club, when he deserves criticism, why should we hold back?

Very poor for both goals. Sure both were hit very well but both were savable. Especially for the best shot stopper.

Was it just me or did it look like he tried make the first one look more spectacular than it needed to be? and in turn fecked up a savable shot? Haven't seen the replay since.

We need an rvn

So every mistake he makes will draw silly posts about his salary from now on?
of course, that's how it goes. One minute we make him one of the highest paid player on the planet, the next he's just not adapted to English football etc. next negotiation table time comes up Woody can knock off £50kp/w because he didn't stop two amazing goals. A joke but understandable when he makes mistakes people say stuff.

Still don't think he should be on more than £250k p/w in my opinion though, no keeper should be.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thought he would save the first more often than not, but the free kick was top draw. Like Pereira’s shot, it was pretty much unsaveable.

Giggsyking

Are you serious ? De Gea has more than shown he deserves that money. So if you wants that then who cares. He has been our best player for soo long.
I am serious. No goalkeeper deserves that money, not even Peter Schmeichel. Goalkeepers should not get superstars attackers salaries.

Jam

I am serious. No goalkeeper deserves that money, not even Peter Schmeichel. Goalkeepers should not get superstars attackers salaries.
Questionable. Goalkeepers are as important and top level keepers are far rarer than top level attackers.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It doesn't matter how good Dave or what he has done for the club, when he deserves criticism, why should we hold back?

Very poor for both goals. Sure both were hit very well but both were savable. Especially for the best shot stopper.

Was it just me or did it look like he tried make the first one look more spectacular than it needed to be? and in turn fecked up a savable shot? Haven't seen the replay since.
He didn't try to make it look more spectacular. He was just a little slow with his footwork which left him too much to do. Still managed to get both hands to it, but not enough to push it out.

He couldn't do much with the second goal.

snk123

Just because that's always been the case?
Goal keepers should definitely get superstar attackers salaries if they are good enough imo

snk123

Thought he should have saved the first one - but second one definitely no chance.

Hoboman

Bring Frans Hoek back. De Gea's kicking and especially catching high balls improved a lot when Hoek was working at the club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That second goal was perfectly placed, don't think it was mistake at all.

Marcus

I thought he could have done better for the first one. It's like being beaten at the near post. Second one no chance. He had to cover the left side as well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some ridiculous logic in this thread. So because he wants 400k a week, he's never allowed to make a mistake?

Fracture90

He really should have done better on that first goal, don't think he could have done anything for the 2nd though.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Bizarre to see any criticism of Dave for the Ward-Prowse freekick. Was a beaut.

Should have done better for the first one though. Granted it was beautifully hit, with a lot of power, but from that distance he should have been pushing it away.

Sauldogba

Two big criticisms i have of Dave is he never comes out for the ball.
Be it from crosses,corners or freekicks.
How can you be a professional goalie but not know how to catch or punch a ball.
The other one is he is not very good at saving freekicks.
Since hes been here hes been beaten so many times.
Too many times.
Still a great goalie but no one is above criticism

Bizarre to see any criticism of Dave for the Ward-Prowse freekick. Was a beaut.

Should have done better for the first one though. Granted it was beautifully hit, with a lot of power, but from that distance he should have been pushing it away.
Its not just this freekick in isolation. Its the fact that for a top goalie he gets beaten a hell of a lot from freekicks.

From the top of my head hes been beaten by Gerrard,Payet,Mata,Sigurdson,Arnautovic.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Wouldn’t blame him for either goal, sometimes a wonder strike is just that, a wonder strike and the free kick was a beaut. If anything was poor from him yesterday it was his kicking which is really up and down and the last few games it’s been down.
I remember when he first came here and he was excellent picking people out on the wing with precision but over the last few years it’s really been quite erratic. If he was to fix this and just become more commanding and come for balls and make them his there wouldn’t even be a discussion as to who is the best keeper in the world as he’d be miles beyond anyone.

He’s brilliant, but man what I wouldn’t give to see him just taking command of situations and that box and just collecting the ball.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Too many times.

Its not just this freekick in isolation. Its the fact that for a top goalie he gets beaten a hell of a lot from freekicks.

From the top of my head hes been beaten by Gerrard,Payet,Mata,Sigurdson,Arnautovic.
Over the course of how many years?

Bestietom

He almost got to both shots and I think he will feel bad he didn't save at least one of them.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, it's bit annoying that he conceedes quite a few goals from free kicks every season(just the feeling, I have no ideas about the numbers), but it's ridiculous that most of the free kicks taken against us are some of the best you'll see, I swear every player that takes them against us takes his best free kick ever.

His distribution is poor though, he gives away one or two dangerous passes per game, which is the worst thing about it, I don't get it why he just doesn't hoof it upfield as strong as possible considering he has a problem with passing.

Fletchageddon

Dearie me. The ‘sack fergie, sell giggs’
brigade are out. Listing goals he’s conceded? Outnumbered by the saves he’s made to keep us in the game by the Spurs match alone.

You guys don’t know when you have it good. Maybe he had a bad game by his standards (he didn’t) but there was nothing he could do about the free kick and we won, so move on.

He is the only player who could demand to be the highest paid player at the club and actually deserve to be. He’s been outstanding for years. Get a grip.

Reactions: Niall

izec

Needs to save the first without a doubt, he had a hand on it. The second was unstoppable, far too high to get it. Dont know if the contract situation has an effect on him, wish he would take the 350k and focus on the performances. We need him in top form.

UncleBob

:lol:

Lord.

Unless they score from what is an obvious mistake, or something you expect De Gea to save, it doesn't really matter.

There's no shame in not being able to save a perfect hit free kick into the top corner

edgar allan

Too many times.

Imagine that!! A goalkeeper letting in a few freekicks over the years.

Could you name a few goalkeepers that don't suffer from this failing?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Imagine that!! A goalkeeper letting in a few freekicks over the years.

Could you name a few goalkeepers that don't suffer from this failing?
Aye, that was some strange logic. Also, no mention over how many years he let in those FK’s or how many FK’s he’s saved (pointless stat anyway).

If a FK is perfectly hit, there’s not much any GK can do.

edgar allan

Aye, that was some strange logic. Also, no mention over how many years he let in those FK’s or how many FK’s he’s saved (pointless stat anyway).

If a FK is perfectly hit, there’s not much any GK can do.
Agree, DDG is a fantastic shot stopper, there is no debate.
He got very close to saving the first shot which would have been another of his huge list of amazing saves.
He had no chance with the free kick, a bit like criticising their goal keeper for not saving the Perreira shot

UncleBob

Needs to save the first without a doubt, he had a hand on it. The second was unstoppable, far too high to get it.
I followed the live updates as I was in a restaurant and read that it was a mistake by De Gea, sat down to watch the replay later on and I don't really understand how anyone can suggest it's a mistake.

People watch these goals on TV's and don't really understand that the pace of the shot is faster than you're led to believe, and the distance is smaller.

The first goal is from around 20 yards, it's insanely well hit both in terms of power and just how far out wide it is with the ball always rising towards goal. It's also hit on the outside of Shaw, with De Gea's view being slightly blocked.

izec

I followed the live updates as I was in a restaurant and read that it was a mistake by De Gea, sat down to watch the replay later on and I don't really understand how anyone can suggest it's a mistake.

People watch these goals on TV's and don't really understand that the pace of the shot is faster than you're led to believe, and the distance is smaller.

The first goal is from around 20 yards, it's insanely well hit both in terms of power and just how far out wide it is with the ball always rising towards goal. It's also hit on the outside of Shaw, with De Gea's view being slightly blocked.
Well yeah if i was in goal, i wouldnt save it. But we are talking about a top 3 GK in the world. Mistakes are allowed, but lets not pretend this was unsaveable. De Gea gets these types of shots every day in training and every week for 10+ years on goal, he isnt a League two keeper that gets shots of this quality every once in a month to save.

On a good day, he saves it with ease. Nobody said he should catch it, but he connected well with it, just didnt parry it out properly. I think he was surprised Valery went for goal, slightly irritated and a bit slow. He had not much to do and then had to pull off a good save all of a sudden, which wasnt easy. It was from 25 yards out and De Gea had a good position. While the shot was good, i feel he could have saved it. Do i think an average PL keeper saves it on an average day? Probably not. But De Gea has set high standards, so you expect him to save it. especially since it was a bit wide and he was standing closer to the post, you would think the chances are higher to save it than from a central position. I am sure he will be disappointed he didnt save it.

For the freekick no chance though, it just was too high and well placed. Ward Prowse put a nice swerve on it.

UncleBob

Well yeah if i was in goal, i wouldnt save it. But we are talking about a top 3 GK in the world. Mistakes are allowed, but lets not pretend this was unsaveable. De Gea gets these types of shots every day in training and every week for 10+ years on goal, he isnt a League two keeper that gets shots of this quality every once in a month to save.

On a good day, he saves it with ease. Nobody said he should catch it, but he connected well with it, just didnt parry it out properly. I think he was surprised Valery went for goal, slightly irritated and a bit slow. He had not much to do and then had to pull off a good save all of a sudden, which wasnt easy. It was from 25 yards out and De Gea had a good position. While the shot was good, i feel he could have saved it. Do i think an average PL keeper saves it on an average day? Probably not. But De Gea has set high standards, so you expect him to save it. especially since it was a bit wide and he was standing closer to the post, you would think the chances are higher to save it than from a central position. I am sure he will be disappointed he didnt save it.

For the freekick no chance though, it just was too high and well placed. Ward Prowse put a nice swerve on it.
People need to stop feeling and ignore the distance, look at the situation itself instead. It takes less than a second from the ball is hit until it's in the back of the net, also observe the rotation of the ball in air, it's out towards the corner and De Gea's view is slightly blocked by Shaw. The time you have to react once you see the ball flying is about feck all.

I reckon it's naive to suggest that this is something anyone would expect De Gea to save, imo it'd go straight into a youtube compilation if he'd managed to keep it out...And it's fairly obvious that he doesn't connect well with it. I'm sure he's disappointed every time he doesn't make a save, but this one isn't close to being considered something that should be a routine save

From replays you're far from getting a decent idea of just how fast things are moving.

Zorica

Get ddg to sign a contract quickly. After these two goals conceded, he should drop his demands now!

Giggsyking

when was the last time he saved a penalty?
About free kicks, he is not very good at it as well I remember only one phenomenal save from him from Mata vs Chelsea 8 years ago, but I remember even more free kicks he got beaten from long distances (Payet free kick which was like 40 meter or something). He is a world class goalkeeper in the top 3. But to be called the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment you have to be good at everything, I bet no one here feel safe when crosses being made into our box because De Gea is not the kind of goalkeeper that come out and clear the area. His passing is not "Nuer" level, and he almost never saved a penalty for us. I think he is our best player for the last 5 years and sure he deserves the salary raise but giving him 400 k is stupid.

UncleBob

when was the last time he saved a penalty?
About free kicks, he is not very good at it as well I remember only one phenomenal save from him from Mata vs Chelsea 8 years ago, but I remember even more free kicks he got beaten from long distances (Payet free kick which was like 40 meter or something). He is a world class goalkeeper in the top 3. But to be called the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment you have to be good at everything, I bet no one here feel safe when crosses being made into our box because De Gea is not the kind of goalkeeper that come out and clear the area. His passing is not "Nuer" level, and he almost never saved a penalty for us. I think he is our best player for the last 5 years and sure he deserves the salary raise but giving him 400 k is stupid.
FA cup 15/16, Lukaku took it.

You seem to be confused when it comes to penalties and freekicks, not sure why people find it so difficult to understand.

Djemba-Djemba

I can't remember him ever conceding a goal from a free kick and thinking he should have done better. Sometimes it's just a great free kick and there's nothing you can do about it. The freekick on Saturday was just a great free kick, no blame can be attached to Dave.

His penalty saving record is awful though, has to be the thing he's worst at. Must have saved about 3 in his 8 years here.

arthurka

Just pay him. We arent showering him with trophies so I guess money could ease that pain.

Hughes35

Defo should be saving the first. I'd expect any keeper in the Prem to save that usually. It's not a howler but you'd expect a save usually.

The second is pretty much unstoppable so no blame at all there.

His kicking was a little off also but not terrible.

Just an average performance, most keepers have these pretty regularly, his standards are just so high we notice it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd expect most keepers in the PL to let Valery's in, it's just De Gea's ridiculously high standards which is why we expect him to have saved it. Not a mistake by any means but just not Dave at his best

UncleBob

Defo should be saving the first. I'd expect any keeper in the Prem to save that usually. It's not a howler but you'd expect a save usually.

The second is pretty much unstoppable so no blame at all there.

His kicking was a little off also but not terrible.

Just an average performance, most keepers have these pretty regularly, his standards are just so high we notice it.
Absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.