Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedNed77

He can throw the ball as long as he wants, it's not going to start a thing when it's immediately lost by the player receiving it or passed back to a safer option. The personnel in front of him isn't good enough, not the other way around.

Would Ederson really make a difference to this team? I could accept an argument that Dave would make City worse but I don't think it cuts both ways here.
I just may not have noticed it, but I never think of De Gea as one to be looking to start a counter attack. His passing range is really limited, even short range you don’t really trust him. Maybe the players don’t either.

And, for all his pluses, Dave can be a bit Hollywood. He’ll flamboyantly dive when it’s not really necessary and he’ll definitely keep hold of the ball if he’s done something reasonably good and thinks the cameras are on him.

The_Bloods

One bad game and it’s as if his last 5 years have meant nothing.
This place sometimes :houllier:
It's not just one bad game, though, is it?

We focus on his 'miracle' saves, but now the team is starting to play with more freedom, his weaknesses in distribution and command of the area are being badly exposed. Add to that mistakes creeping in and he's starting to look more of a hinderance than an asset.

Romero may not be quite the shot stopper de Gea is, but he has much more presence in the area and can distribute the ball better.

Tonight, on a tricky surface, against a team you know will press your defence, he shouldn't have put the ball out to Fred. There was absolutely no margin for error with that ball, as we learned.

HailtotheKing

Didn't de Gea used to have a good touch? I remember when he first joined he was pretty good at distributing the ball. And people said he used to play in midfield or something. Either way, I feel his distribution has regressed a lot. Perhaps due to Jose's desire to just boot the ball.

He's saved us so many times, but today he was pretty awful. And has been far less reliable in recent games. Maybe the contract thing is getting to him.
It would be nice to have a bigger presence though. I think our shaky defense is somewhat due to his commanding of the box. Then again, a more commanding set of center halves and we wouldn't need that would we?

Red_toad

I don’t think his recent performances have enhanced his claims to get a huge pay increase. Poor distribution, completely unwilling to command his area or come off his line to help our defenders. Has generally been well below the levels of previous season. No idea if it’s a mental thing as he wants out, or if he’s just no longer the player he used to be.

Suedesi

Didn't de Gea used to have a good touch? I remember when he first joined he was pretty good at distributing the ball. And people said he used to play in midfield or something. Either way, I feel his distribution has regressed a lot. Perhaps due to Jose's desire to just boot the ball.

He's saved us so many times, but today he was pretty awful. And has been far less reliable in recent games. Maybe the contract thing is getting to him.
It would be nice to have a bigger presence though. I think our shaky defense is somewhat due to his commanding of the box. Then again, a more commanding set of center halves and we wouldn't need that would we?
That's exactly what I recall as well. His distribution has regressed A LOT!

Ekeke

One bad game and it’s as if his last 5 years have meant nothing.
This place sometimes :houllier:
Its not a bad game, he has plenty of the blame for our poor defensive record this season. Also some credit for our recent run until the past few games when we had the 2nd best defensive record. But obviously a run of better games is a lot less than we expect from DDG.

The 4 years he was our player of the season arent forgotten, but he cant hide behind them either. He's been poor for a player asking for a lot of money

Canagel

I can't speak for everyone but I've been saying for years that he's massively overrated.

Tonight though was sooo bad that I think it's a cause for genuine concern.

If your still happy with him then I ask you to watch the Wolves second goal from tonight and explain what exactly he was doing?

Ive watched it about ten times now and I'm still trying to figure out how 'the best keeper in the world' decides that the best way to come out and claim a pretty average knock down is not, to simply come out and pounce on the ball, but, to stay on his feet and turn his back on it.
Pretty sure that's not in the coaching manual.
Exactly. The lindelof thing too.
I hope for Romero to see out the season. He's proven to be an able deputy and should get a more extended run so we can see if he's capable to keep the position for next year.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Everybody can talk about the first goal. De Gea probably shouldn't have given Fred the ball there, but Fred has to do better with it. The second goal on the other hand, WTF was De Gea doing? Was he trying to make himself as small as possible, because he did a good job of it. That was such an easy ball to deal with. He just has to show some nerve and get down on that ball and make himself big. Standing straight up and slightly turning to the side is not the way to deal with it. As great of a shot stopped as De Gea is, he's a bit of a pussy when it comes to stuff in his box. He has gotten better at dealing with crosses but he still doesn't command his area the way that he should...

Marcus

If he is trying to get himself sold, he is doing a pretty decent job.

kundalini

Having watched their 2nd goal about 10 times, the only reason I can come up with for De Gea's choice of action, is that his main priority was avoiding contact with either one of the two players challenging for the ball. If he had been even remotely interested in preventing the ball finding its way into our net, he could easily have done so.

He's had a very strange season, with rather too many soft goals conceded and other inexplicable moments that he got away with; the episode with Lindelof in this match falling in that category.

On their first goal, I have no problems with his decision to pass to Fred or the execution of the pass. That one was Fred's error, not helped by Ashley Young playing the scorer onside.

Ashley R1+O

Had a mare, what was up with that second goal and I don't know what he's doing he just puts his foot there and falls over. Weird for him who's usually pretty technically clinical.

Zorica

Relax, people. De Gea has been playing during the weekend and weekday. It's obvious he is fatigued. De Gea has the best reflexes and this was reflected in him winning the Golden Glove last season and being part of PFA Team of the Year for 5 times, more than any other keeper still playing (More than Petr Cech, Joe Hart) !

el3mel

Relax, people. De Gea has been playing during the weekend and weekday. It's obvious he is fatigued. De Gea has the best reflexes and this was reflected in him winning the Golden Glove last season and being part of PFA Team of the Year for 5 times, more than any other keeper still playing (More than Petr Cech, Joe Hart) !
Since when GKs got fatigued to the point of bottling goals like this?

He has been crap for a good amount of time now and the contract situation is getting to his head.

He needs to be dropped. No other way around it. Play Romero till he sorts out his contract issues. If he doesn't want to stay, then he can feck off. Playing De Gea now with his current form and contract issues is a waste of our time.

RedCurry

He’s been poor this season bar the Spurs game. Adds very little when he’s not making world class saves.

Suedesi

What about that incident on the 60th minute when he rushed out of the goal to grab the ball and somehow pulled his hands in leaving Jimenez with the ball? Luckily Wolves didn't score but the decision-making from De Gea was truly a WTF moment.

Kostov

Why are people putting the blame for the second goal on De Gea? It’s on Jones for feck sake. That’s an aerial ball a CB must not lose there, and he was fecking bullied. If that guy can’t do that than find someone who can and ship his ass off. Once that ball is let bounce in front of the GK it’s fecking chaos and it should be prevented.

The Last Jedaiiii

De Gea was awful and has been overrated for a while. Why do I miss Edwin? Because his positioning, command of area and communication far outweigh reflexes. Those factors prevent a keeper from having to rely on reflexes for the most part

Pass and Move

He's an incredible keeper, arguably best in the world and comparable to both Schmeichel and VDS, but my god he's a proper pussy. Needs to get off his line quicker, smother strikers in a 1v1 and learn to barge through defenders when trying to reach a ball.

UnitedFan93

He's an incredible keeper, arguably best in the world and comparable to both Schmeichel and VDS, but my god he's a proper pussy. Needs to get off his line quicker, smother strikers in a 1v1 and learn to barge through defenders when trying to reach a ball.
He is nothing like Schmeichel. Your comments that follow explain why he'll never be like Schmeichel. Yes he is closer to VDS in style but VDS was a far more rounded keeper. If you want comparisons with ex united keepers I would compare De Gea with Barthez than big Pete and VDS.

The Last Jedaiiii

He is nothing like Schmeichel. Your comments that follow explain why he'll never be like Schmeichel. Yes he is closer to VDS in style but VDS was a far more rounded keeper. If you want comparisons with ex united keepers I would compare De Gea with Barthez than big Pete and VDS.
Edwin, despite only being an inch taller than Dave and a lot leaner than big Pete, would pluck the ball out of the air and command his area. He was also incredible with distribution (original sweeper keeper). De Gea doesn't have his bravery either - remember when Robbie Keane broke Edwins nose?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Second goal wasn’t even his worst mistake. I was genuinely shocked with his lack of bollox when he came sliding out for a ball near the end line and fecking turned away just before he was supposed to grab the ball. It was preceded by the all too familiar sight of a retreating CB (Lindelof this time) frantically gesturing at him to hurry up and come out and collect the ball.

That’s basic goalkeeping. Not even technically difficult. Just the minimal amount of decisiveness and courage you’d expect from someone who plays that position. And this isn’t knee jerk criticism. He’s always been a bit too slow to come off his line but last night made it abundantly clear that this is mainly down to being unwilling to put his body on the line. Which is a big fecking problem.

Canagel

He's not close to Schemeichel and VDS. They had an aura and personality in addition to talent and being well rounded in all the facets.

Kapardin

De Gea was awful and has been overrated for a while. Why do I miss Edwin? Because his positioning, command of area and communication far outweigh reflexes. Those factors prevent a keeper from having to rely on reflexes for the most part
Yep, he has been Spainesque for us. His heroics from 2014-2017 have blinded people to his general decline now.

youngrell

Completely shite out for their second goal last night, which was disappointing if not surprising.

He should have been clearing the ball and everyone in front of him out in that situation, or failing that he should have stayed on his line. Instead he comes out and does nothing except leave the goal empty for Smalling to bundle it in.

deadrevelz

He's been crap recently but people as usual are going way overboard because we just lost a game.
Anyone asking for Romero is being knee jerk... Romero makes more mistakes than De Gea and is not suitable to be a 1st choice keeper at United.

Also, the Smalling OG wasn't his fault... he thinks Smalling is going to kick it which is why he stays on his feet to save it. Smalling misses it instead so it rolls by him.

He did make a poor mistake in the game though when he didn't collect the ball that Lindelof was shielding.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I've said it a number of times now, but I do feel that De Gea plays for a side that highlights his strengths due to sheer number of shots we have given away in recent years, but that he would be found wanting for a better side - and indeed he has been for Spain - that would shift the focus onto his wider skill set. I was talking to someone last week about his contract situation and was adamant that Guardiola would likely move him on if he had inherited him. Being a great shot-stopper is just one facet of being a goalkeeper for a dominant side. We saw all his average and weak areas last night: poor distribution, lack of authority, unwillingness to rush out. We would feel it if we lost him in the short term, as we cannot easily replace that shot stopping, but we would demand more from our goalkeeper should the defence improve.

The worst part of last night was the fake head injury he tried to pull after the miscommunication with Victor. It was a pathetic moment of cowardice, where he seriously considered leaving his teammate in the lurch after his error.

jem

It's not just one bad game, though, is it?

We focus on his 'miracle' saves, but now the team is starting to play with more freedom, his weaknesses in distribution and command of the area are being badly exposed. Add to that mistakes creeping in and he's starting to look more of a hinderance than an asset.

Romero may not be quite the shot stopper de Gea is, but he has much more presence in the area and can distribute the ball better.

Tonight, on a tricky surface, against a team you know will press your defence, he shouldn't have put the ball out to Fred. There was absolutely no margin for error with that ball, as we learned.
This is what drives me crazy about this place. A post that starts promisingly with some reasonable points about De Gea, and then all of a sudden he's a hinderance. As is there's no middle ground between being the absolute world beater he has been for most of his time here and the slightly underwhelming performer of this season. Anybody who would prefer Romero over De Gea as the United starting keeper needs to get their head checked.

Zorica

Quick sign De gea on a new contract now that he has less bargaining power. He can only get braver from here!

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Best GK in the world :lol:
That he became our star player is proof of the mediocrity we found ourself in.
His shakiness spreads the panic across the whole defence, rubbish passing, weak, refuse to leave your line. There's so many flaws in his game that it completely outweighs 9/10 shot stopping and reflex.
He was the best GK in the world for about four years. Not sure what you're laughing at here.

arthurka

How much can we get for him this summer?
Could that fund the signing of Oblak.
Love DDG but we must stop this contract stuff every 3 years, plus we could do with a keeper that is commanding.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He ain't gonna start doing that now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Usually when team plays like shit, he's winning them matches. That didn't happened yesterday so he's a cat murderer now.

Let's sell him and keep Jones because you know that's the real logic here.

passing-wind

He's been absolutely rubbish since the world cup in all honesty, maybe it's messed up his confidence.

After numerous years however he's definitely entitled to have a bad season or 2, he's carried this club at times.

It highlights the severity in the defence needing to be fixed, how can we as supporters take the club seriously offering up the likes of Jones and Young new contracts.

It's embarrassing

Canagel

He was the best GK in the world for about four years. Not sure what you're laughing at here.
He did save us a lot but I'm starting to realize he can't play for a top team. Not without making some blunders. Whenever we faced a barrage of shots and teams layed siege on our goal he thrived. But we don't want to play like this. These tactics and GK's are found in smaller clubs- like the Heatons, Fosters and so on. The circumstances and defensive styles of football simply favoured him and he did more work.

Just as we're trying to be a more expansive team his general skill set has been exposed. Why is that? Surely people can see it's not a coincidence. Like the same when he plays for Spain. He isn't required to make match winning saves anymore so I think its time for him to step aside. The rest of his game isn't up to scratch for the style we're trying to play and we'd be better off with someone who is more rounded.
I don't think he was the best btw. Neuer was.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Every player has dips in form and no doubt right now De Gea isn't playing anywhere near to his high standards. He's not the bravest keeper as last night showed but he's still world class and a drop off in form won't change that. Big performance vs Barca (because it will no doubt be needed!) and all is forgiven.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
No disrespect to DeGea who is a great GK, although he has a tendency to kick the ball out of play a lot. But if you wanted to offload him for a great sum of money and use it on other players out on the field instead, while getting a cheaper and just as great keeper then you could try this guy who people back home does not understand why no large clubs picks him up : Andre Hansen. He is much the same as DeGea just better at kicking the ball out and hitting his targets.

I would bet my feet and right hand that he would be a fan favourite within a couple of months with his supersaves.

There's some vids on youtube if anyone want to check it out, but I guess a club like United only want people who have superstar names :) This is the same quality for 1/10 of the price though.

Kostov

He did save us a lot but I'm starting to realize he can't play for a top team. Not without making some blunders. Whenever we faced a barrage of shots and teams layed siege on our goal he thrived. But we don't want to play like this. These tactics and GK's are found in smaller clubs- like the Heatons, Fosters and so on. The circumstances and defensive styles of football simply favoured him and he did more work.

Just as we're trying to be a more expansive team his general skill set has been exposed. Why is that? Surely people can see it's not a coincidence. Like the same when he plays for Spain. He isn't required to make match winning saves anymore so I think its time for him to step aside. The rest of his game isn't up to scratch for the style we're trying to play and we'd be better off with someone who is more rounded.
I don't think he was the best btw. Neuer was.
God what a fecking deluded comment. Absolute garbage.

ash_86

He's fast approaching 30 and his reflex will start going down. Unlike VDS or Schmichel, he has zero command of the box nor can organize his defense. These are very important that will prolong a keepers career beyond 30's. Once the reflex goes away , we're basically looking at a very poor keeper who cannot command the box, cant organize the defense nor good with his feet , and earning 350k + in wages per week(if he signs the deal). His stock is good right now, so i say we cash in and go for someone younger and has good potential. PSG might be our best bet at this point.

Canagel

God what a fecking deluded comment. Absolute garbage.
Deluded? The truth is he's very overrated. It's not possible to be the best GK in the world carrying such limitations. He was one the best performing goal keepers but never the outright best like our fans claimed for so long.
. Actually I saw you trying to free him from blame of the 2nd goal so why am I suprised?

Kostov

Deluded? The truth is he's very overrated. It's not possible to be the best GK in the world carrying such limitations. He was one the best performing goal keepers but never the outright best like our fans claimed for so long.
. Actually I saw you trying to free him from blame of the 2nd goal so why am I suprised?
What fecking limitations? In what world is DDG a limited goalkeeper except in abdo99 deluded universe? You spout such bullshit it's incredible.

For that second goal, you have an actual CB going in for a must win header 1 meter in front of the line and fluffs it, letting the ball bounce in a dangerous area, and you are blaming De Gea because he didn't collect in the middle of a chaotic scene with 2 attackers and 2 CBs involved. That's unforgivable for a CB at this club, a Virgil van Dijk or Vidic clears that header first time and we are talking about a routine heading clearance instead we have experts like you on here blaming a world class goalkeeper because he wasn't able to clear a mess created by an absolute clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.