Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

Why did he duck out of the challenge when Lindelof was asking him to claim the ball? He was so concerned about avoiding contact with Jimenez that he forgot all about the ball and Wolves almost had an empty goal to aim for. That was really a cowardly sequence of play

jem

My God reading this thread is exasperating. I imagine these same types would have labelled Scholes a liability because he couldn't tackle and was prone to the occasional red card.

jem

Here's the thing: I do wonder whether it's worth considering letting DDG go, particularly considering his wage demands. If we could get a hefty fee for him, we might be able to spread that money around a handful of useful players. But whatever happens, DDG has been a legend for us.

SAFMUTD

He has been great in the last years for us, but lets be honest this year hasn't been his best. If the rumors are true and he is demanding 400k a week in order to renew I would glady sell him. He is, arguably, the best keeper in the world. But we could get around 80-100 for him, and buy another top keeper maybe Oblak who is on a similar level.

Im getting tired with the De Gea sagas, he always seems to like the club but would leave us without flinching if Madrid come calling or if we don't match his spectacular wage requests. He is already the world best paid keeper, if that's not good enough for him then let him go.

The Last Jedaiiii

My God reading this thread is exasperating. I imagine these same types would have labelled Scholes a liability because he couldn't tackle and was prone to the occasional red card.
False equivalency alert. Scholes could shoot, pass the ball long and short while being a good crossed.
As a shot stopper, De Gea is the best I've seen, but in regards to the other 4 areas of goalkeeping (the contrast becomes starker in the age of Neuer, Ederson, Allison, Ter Stegen and Oblak) he is sorely lacking. These are:
1. Command of area/ Bravery
2. Organising defence/ communication
3. Distribution
4. Positioning (he barely leaves his line)
The guy is as tall as Neuer, taller than Ter Stegen, Allison, Ederson and even Schmeichel yet those are much more accomplished in the other areas. Van der Sar was a lot similar in build to De Gea than Schmeichel yet by comparison looks huge compared to the latter.

Zorica

De Gea can only get braver and better from here. He will become better at commanding the area. His distribution aren't that bad and his communication will only improve as he ages.

Time to sign him on a new deal now that he has less bargaining power.

Pass and Move

He is nothing like Schmeichel. Your comments that follow explain why he'll never be like Schmeichel. Yes he is closer to VDS in style but VDS was a far more rounded keeper. If you want comparisons with ex united keepers I would compare De Gea with Barthez than big Pete and VDS.
You've misunderstood me. I didn't say he was similar in style, I said similar in how capable a goalkeeper he is.

Edwin, despite only being an inch taller than Dave and a lot leaner than big Pete, would pluck the ball out of the air and command his area. He was also incredible with distribution (original sweeper keeper). De Gea doesn't have his bravery either - remember when Robbie Keane broke Edwins nose?
Similar in ability, not in style.

He's not close to Schemeichel and VDS. They had an aura and personality in addition to talent and being well rounded in all the facets.
Many people would disagree with you, hence there being discussions in the past about which of the three were better keepers.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
He has been great in the last years for us, but lets be honest this year hasn't been his best. If the rumors are true and he is demanding 400k a week in order to renew I would glady sell him. He is, arguably, the best keeper in the world. But we could get around 80-100 for him, and buy another top keeper maybe Oblak who is on a similar level.

Im getting tired with the De Gea sagas, he always seems to like the club but would leave us without flinching if Madrid come calling or if we don't match his spectacular wage requests. He is already the world best paid keeper, if that's not good enough for him then let him go.
Nobody is playing 80m or more for DDG with a year on his contract.

tieunhilang

Nobody is playing 80m or more for DDG with a year on his contract.
Send him to the reserves team and let him rot there, until he knows who's boss and sign a reasonable contract. Let him see what pub team would sign him next summer, a player who has only been playing with the kids all year. Let's see if he wants to miss the Euro 2020 that badly.

De Gea has been great for us, but like I have said multiple times: There's no tolerance for a player taking the club for ransom. He is a superhuman and as soon as it's contract negotiation time, he plays like shit to threaten us to agree on his demand? Come next week then what? "Pay me 400k or I gift the ball to Messi"? Is it what you who are defending De Gea's intolerable act would want? :houllier:

Manchester United is his employer and Ole is his boss. If he cannot show the team proper respect, don't expect the team to show him the same care.

The Last Jedaiiii

You've misunderstood me. I didn't say he was similar in style, I said similar in how capable a goalkeeper he is.

Similar in ability, not in style.

Many people would disagree with you, hence there being discussions in the past about which of the three were better keepers.
Many people are also young or naive. He can't hold a candle to those 2

Based Adnan

If he is seriously holding out for 480k a week then we have to get rid. We set a bad enough precedent with Sanchez. 480k for a goalkeeper, despite how good he is, is absolutely bonkers.

Raw

Honestly if we sort out our defensive structure (CB and CM) then I wouldn't mind giving Romero a go with Henderson potentially being second choice (and hopefully taking over as first choice!). We shouldn't be so reliant on a goalkeeper anyway, not so much that losing De Gea meant we'd be far away from the top 4.

The wage De Gea is reportedly asking for is utterly fecking ridiculous, we should not give in and ruin our wage structure even more. Sell him for a high price and use the funds to sort out the rest of the team, akin to Liverpool selling Coutinho and sorting out their team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why did he duck out of the challenge when Lindelof was asking him to claim the ball? He was so concerned about avoiding contact with Jimenez that he forgot all about the ball and Wolves almost had an empty goal to aim for. That was really a cowardly sequence of play
I genuinely thought for a second he was trying to mess up on purpose. He slid into the ball without using his arms? just let it bounce off his body? it was the weirdest move I've ever seen from a goalkeeper :lol:

Then that 2nd goal... meh.

When he's good he's unstoppable, when he's bad he's really bad. Thankfully we haven't seen that bad side too often.

Sp00ks11

Send him to the reserves team and let him rot there, until he knows who's boss and sign a reasonable contract. Let him see what pub team would sign him next summer, a player who has only been playing with the kids all year. Let's see if he wants to miss the Euro 2020 that badly.

De Gea has been great for us, but like I have said multiple times: There's no tolerance for a player taking the club for ransom. He is a superhuman and as soon as it's contract negotiation time, he plays like shit to threaten us to agree on his demand? Come next week then what? "Pay me 400k or I gift the ball to Messi"? Is it what you who are defending De Gea's intolerable act would want? :houllier:

Manchester United is his employer and Ole is his boss. If he cannot show the team proper respect, don't expect the team to show him the same care.
:lol: Feckin hell.

fallengt

Whoever wants him is in for trouble. He is loved by United fans, his mistakes often overlooked. No one else in the world would tolerate these kind of mistakes for supposed "best goal keeper in the world". Spain is the example, people are still mad at him for their failed WC campaign.

Unpopular opinion but I don't think he'd shine any where but United tbh. Our system benefits him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
False equivalency alert. Scholes could shoot, pass the ball long and short while being a good crossed.
As a shot stopper, De Gea is the best I've seen, but in regards to the other 4 areas of goalkeeping (the contrast becomes starker in the age of Neuer, Ederson, Allison, Ter Stegen and Oblak) he is sorely lacking. These are:
3. Distribution
The guy is as tall as Neuer, taller than Ter Stegen, Allison, Ederson and even Schmeichel yet those are much more accomplished in the other areas. Van der Sar was a lot similar in build to De Gea than Schmeichel yet by comparison looks huge compared to the latter.
De geas positioning is as good as anyone. He doesnt have to be a sweeper keeper to be the best at that. That is just stylistic differences.

Organizing the decence and communication is one of those bullshit traits people mention yet coincidentally coincide with the defence itself being good or not. Like you have keepers who are supposedly great at it and then play behind a shaky defence and then look, as you would expect, shaky.

Distribution yeah hes declined in for sure over the years, but it's still not that bad. Fine for any teams purposes, just not his main strength.

Command of area, hes behind Oblak in that and was behind Neuer, dont agree at all with the rest. Allison is shaky plenty of times in that regard, that's not Edersons best trait, Neuer has declined massively, Spain has a different style of play so Ter Stegen just doesnt get tested like that, just like Valdes or Navas werent tested like that yet if they were, they'd likely struggle (or did struggle for Valdes).

Roboc7

He has been our best player for years and after one poor season is being written off. Who can blame him for not wanting to commit to a new contract, he probably should have left already.

If he won’t sign the contract he should be sold this summer so we can invest in a replacement unless Henderson is highly rated enough to be given a chance. Baffles me anyone thinks Romero could be his replacement, he’s a great backup but nowhere near good enough to be number one for any length of time and wouldn’t last a season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People are being, as always, so reactionary to him not being at his absolute peak this season so then suddenly thinking hes not actually that good (maybe that's how they convince themselves we should let him go, I dunno). Hes been the best in the world over the last 5 years. No debate. Hes up there with Schmeichel and Van Der Sar as well, no debate about that. The main difference is hes mainly been here during turbulent times, while only being with Sir Alex for 2 seasons (still has one title win). Sir Alex had world class defences throughout his time here. De Gea has had average at best CBs in front, yet we've constantly put up among the best defensive records in the league. The feck more do people want.

Saying all that, I dont think he has that many options if he wants out. Every club bar PSG is sorted with their goalkeeper so wont spend big, so it depends on if he wants to go there. We shouldnt give in to his big demands because a keeper really shouldnt make or break a team, you can still win everything with an average, reliable keeper. At the same time, from his pov, it's reasonable because hes been the best by a distance over the past 5 years so its like a reward for him compared to others getting massive wages after 2 good performances.

jem

3. Distribution
My point is that when a player like De Gea has an off year, fans are too quick to label a player a liability by focusing on shortcomings. I can only imagine them doing the same with Scholes during his rough patch in 2004-5. I have no interest in comparing the relative merits of DDG and Scholes.

Shark

@NotShark
There’s posts is this and also Pogba’s threads that are beyond bonkers. You probably have the same posters screaming for world class signings in the transfer threads, yet want to get rid of the only two that are still here.

Last edited:

jem

There’s posts is this and also Pogba’s threads that are beyond bonkers. You probably have the same posters screaming for world clsss signings in the transfer threads, yet want to get rid of the only two that are still here.
Yeah, I'd highly recommend people click on the Spurs threadmark from January. People are too quick to forget how godlike De Gea can be for us. A few bad games shouldn't change that.

SATA

I will personally sell him for 60-80m in the summer and get a Premiership proven goalkeeper in Kasper Schmeichel for about 20-25m and 100K per week + an upgrade in central defence, perhaps in De Ligt, Toby or the Napoli chap. Just my opinion though

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ter Stegen has without a doubt been better than him this season. However, he was easily the best goal keeper in the world last season. I surmise that his below par season has to do with his contract.

Adamsk7

If he did leave, we’d be better taking the money and spending it on a truly great defender as well as the defender we already need. Say we buy Koulibaly anyway, we should go for a Varane/De Ligt as well.

Romero is a very good keeper and behind a brilliant defence, it’d be better than just replacing De Gea with say, Oblak.

Moriarty

Ter Stegen has without a doubt been better than him this season. However, he was easily the best goal keeper in the world last season. I surmise that his below par season has to do with his contract.
That and all the upheaval at United since Fergie retired. Maybe he just wants a change and the chance to return home to Madrid.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There’s posts is this and also Pogba’s threads that are beyond bonkers. You probably have the same posters screaming for world class signings in the transfer threads, yet want to get rid of the only two that are still here.
Yep. People do quickly forget what outrageous struggles we have buying top players. So to give away one of our two worldies would not be wise.
It's also as if people forget the years in between Schmeichel and Van der Sar where we were pissing about with some right chumps.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea remains our best player, he's just our best player having a bad season. A bad season in which he has still had excellent games, incidentally. At 28 years old there's absolutely zero reason to think he won't regain his best form again and for an extended period at that.

Call me Mr. Traditional but I tend to like keeping our best players rather than selling them. Especially when said players have saved the team with brilliant performances over several years.

Fans complain about players lacking loyalty but it works in reverse too. De Gea has earned some patience now he's going through a bad spell.

Even if the likes of Ederson and Allison really are better than him (debatable at best), I don't particularly care. I wouldn't swap either of them for De Gea because neither of them are United legends in the way De Gea is.

People are wild :lol:

Canagel

I will personally sell him for 60-80m in the summer and get a Premiership proven goalkeeper in Kasper Schmeichel for about 20-25m and 100K per week + an upgrade in central defence, perhaps in De Ligt, Toby or the Napoli chap. Just my opinion though
This will be a good way to kill two birds with one stone. Equally we can give Romero till the end of season to see if he can become the next GK.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

This.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If he did leave, we’d be better taking the money and spending it on a truly great defender as well as the defender we already need. Say we buy Koulibaly anyway, we should go for a Varane/De Ligt as well.

Romero is a very good keeper and behind a brilliant defence, it’d be better than just replacing De Gea with say, Oblak.
The goal Romero conceded vs Wolves in the FA Cup is a perfect example of a slightly tough save that DDG makes routinely but is not considered a mistake when other keepers miss. Standards aren't the same.

Bobski

How well is De Gea likely to mature as a keeper? Is his an early peak? Those are questions Utd need to be considering. The keepers who have tended to stay at an elite level longer have usually possessed a more rounded game than De Gea(Buffon, Van Der Sar) while those who were reflex reliant, line keepers(Casilas, Barthez) dropped off earlier.

Zorica

Not true.

Casillas has won more titles and he also won the Champ Leagues 3 times, World cup, Europe Cup. He even helped Porto to win back the league title last season in 2018.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
How well is De Gea likely to mature as a keeper? Is his an early peak? Those are questions Utd need to be considering. The keepers who have tended to stay at an elite level longer have usually possessed a more rounded game than De Gea(Buffon, Van Der Sar) while those who were reflex reliant, line keepers(Casilas, Barthez) dropped off earlier.
This is very true.

I wouldn't worry about De Gea if it looked like he was trying to improve his all round game, but just having teething problems. We can allow him to have an off season considering his performances before. However, I can't see where he is trying to improve. I don't know if he thinks he doesn't need it, or if his coach/mate is shit at his job. If it's the former, sell him now. If it's the latter, get rid and get a competent GK coach.

However, we should also consider what we can expect from him going forward. Ole needs to sort this out imho. We need to stop treating De Gea with kid gloves and force him to improve his game which I believe he's more than capable of doing. If he's resistant, sell him and move on.

Bobski

Not true.

Casillas has won more titles and he also won the Champ Leagues 3 times, World cup, Europe Cup. He even helped Porto to win back the league title last season in 2018.
Fair, 37 now, so has had a long and successful career. Would you not accept that his individual peak was early to mid 20's though? He might have had more team success later but he was phenomenal early. I remember that Utd-Madrid tie in 2003 and the main difference was really the keepers. Utd had Barthez who couldn't stop anything while Iker pulled off a number of fantastic stops over the 2 legs.

Based Adnan

I'd put good money on it being an early decline. Whilst his all round game has improved since coming to England he's no VDS/Buffon/Kahn etc. He's more of a Casillas/Bravo/Valdes type keeper that are reliant on reflexes more than other attributes and that's what tends to go first. Buffon and VDS can still fall back on extremely sound GK fundamentals which compensate for the decline in reflexes. The 3 mentioned weren't anywhere near as reliant on reflexes as David either so the decline wasn't as evident.

The Last Jedaiiii

I'd put good money on it being an early decline. Whilst his all round game has improved since coming to England he's no VDS/Buffon/Kahn etc. He's more of a Casillas/Bravo/Valdes type keeper that are reliant on reflexes more than other attributes and that's what tends to go first. Buffon and VDS can still fall back on extremely sound GK fundamentals which compensate for the decline in reflexes. The 3 mentioned weren't anywhere near as reliant on reflexes as David either so the decline wasn't as evident.
Where would you put Ter Stegen in regards to the 2 different types?

Have to agree. What really sets him apart is his saving ability, he's just a very good keeper in other areas and a bit average in some of the things that kept VDS and Buffon going for so long. He has never really developed the commanding presence or organisational skills the likes of VDS had.

Zorica

De Gea has inhuman reflexes and skills. Plus the way he maintained his weight and protect himself from injury, I think his reign as the most powerful shot stopper will last longer than expected. De Gea will be entering his peak years in the next 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.