g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Dave and the coach are best friends that spend time together off the pitch. Maybe they spend training sessions being mates instead of having a proper coach to player relationship.
This is what I've been hinting at.... it's not professional enough.

He should have listened to Franz Hoek instead of feuding with him. No, he wants his mate. Well, this is the result, and Ole needs to step in and sort that out.

No chance should we be giving him what he wants. That would be idiotic. We need to stop being afraid of losing players. They want to go, let them.

pascell

Complete lack of commitment from him all season.

His heart isn’t in it anymore.
Fixed it for you mate.

The lack of commitment he showed when diving on that ball said it all to me, I couldn't care less if he left now. He should've claimed that ball even if he had to take players out in the process.

Canagel

Best GK in the world :lol:
That he became our star player is proof of the mediocrity we found ourself in.
His shakiness spreads the panic across the whole defence, rubbish passing, weak, refuse to leave your line. There's so many flaws in his game that it completely outweighs 9/10 shot stopping and reflex.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We should bring in Hoek again, i liked what he was doing here.
Me too. Should never have let him leave. Don't know what Dave's problem with him was. The funny thing is he would have learned so much and it would have better prepared him for playing with his national team. He needs far more in his arsenal and he should have taken advantage of Hoek's knowledge.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Awful argument, if you have to preface and qualify your argument with “you’re stupid if you don’t agree with me” your point is probably shit.
You're not stupid if you don't agree with me. You're just stupid if you think stupid things. My position on said stupid things is neither here nor there.

In this case, a lot of supposed Manchester United fans have been criticizing De Gea in a manner that shows short memory and little loyalty. Those posters are free to think what they like, it doesn't mean they aren't whiney little shithouses throwing a strop because we've lost.

Djemba-Djemba

His technique for trying to save their first goal is really weird.

He comes out and then makes himself as small as possible.

Does he normally do that?

baskinginthesun

What happened to his kicking? Before he joined us he was known for his distribution, to the point where fans referred to him as "van der Gea".
I wonder if it has to do with having a smaller front line to aim at. The last couple of season he has had Fellaini, Lukaku and Ibrahimovic to aim at. Now we have Martial, Rashford, and Lingard who are not know for controlling high balls.

Look-a-Hill

People calling for Romero to replace him is mental. Did we already forget the soft goal Romero let in vs. the same opposition a mere two weeks ago?
Will be interesting after his first howler and the board start getting criticised for selling a world class keeper. The grass couldn't be more green on the side we're standing on.

Irwin99

Fred was calling for the pass again for the first goal but I'm annoyed at his lack of bravery at times. Second goal conceded felt so avoidable.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
His shakiness spreads the panic across the whole defence, rubbish passing, weak, refuse to leave your line. There's so many flaws in his game that it completely outweighs 9/10 shot stopping and reflex.
Only laughable thing worthy in your post is revisionism.

He’s having a subpar season but its almost as if people have forgotten his performances over the last 5 years. He remains 1 of our only 2 world class player.

Look-a-Hill

I wonder if it has to do with having a smaller front line to aim at. The last couple of season he has had Fellaini, Lukaku and Ibrahimovic to aim at. Now we have Martial, Rashford, and Lingard who are not know for controlling high balls.
Rooney, Nani, Giggs, Berb, etc. weren't exactly massive. The difference was they could control a ball. Something most of the current squad can't manage two times in a row.

RedNed77

You're not stupid if you don't agree with me. You're just stupid if you think stupid things. My position on said stupid things is neither here nor there.

In this case, a lot of supposed Manchester United fans have been criticizing De Gea in a manner that shows short memory and little loyalty. Those posters are free to think what they like, it doesn't mean they aren't whiney little shithouses throwing a strop because we've lost.
I’ve said in other threads prior to tonight I just think we can do better. This isn’t a knee-jerk from me based on tonight. I genuinely rate him as the best shot stopper in the world. I’m not saying we go full Guardiola and think we can sacrifice goalkeeping ability for having a great footballer in between the sticks with little keeping ability.

I’d like a keeper who will come out and claim a cross and can start a counter attack with a long throw (Schmeichel) or an accurate long punt (VdS) allied with some better than average keeping skills. This would be more advantageous to us than having an iron curtain in goal. We want to move the action from in front of our goal. A keeper with those kinds of attributes is much more useful to us moving forward.

For that reason, I’d move him on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’ve said in other threads prior to tonight I just think we can do better. This isn’t a knee-jerk from me based on tonight. I genuinely rate him as the best shot stopper in the world. I’m not saying we go full Guardiola and think we can sacrifice goalkeeping ability for having a great footballer in between the sticks with little keeping ability.

I’d like a keeper who will come out and claim a cross and can start a counter attack with a long throw (Schmeichel) or an accurate long punt (VdS) allied with some better than average keeping skills. This would be more advantageous to us than having an iron curtain in goal. We want to move the action from in front of our goal. A keeper with those kinds of attributes is much more useful to us moving forward.

It's one thing people putting forward a thought out, constructed argument like that which (even if I disagree with the conclusion) at least isn't just an overreaction to poor form.

The posters who have irked me are those who, because of one bad season and a particularly bad game tonight, are whining that De Gea should feck off to Madrid and attacking his heart and character. They're not arguing that De Gea is stylistically the wrong fit for us going forward, they're just bitching about a player they'll quickly return to lavishing praise on once his form inevitably improves. It's stupid, childish and reactionary.

Look-a-Hill

He can throw the ball as long as he wants, it's not going to start a thing when it's immediately lost by the player receiving it or passed back to a safer option. The personnel in front of him isn't good enough, not the other way around.

Would Ederson really make a difference to this team? I could accept an argument that Dave would make City worse but I don't think it cuts both ways here.

RedNed77

It's one thing people putting forward a thought out, constructed argument like that which (even if I disagree with the conclusion) at least isn't just an overreaction to poor form.

The posters who have irked me are those who, because of one bad season and a particularly bad game tonight, are whining that De Gea should feck off to Madrid and attacking his heart and character. They're not arguing that De Gea is stylistically the wrong fit for us going forward, they're just bitching about a player they'll quickly return to lavishing praise on once his form inevitably improves. It's stupid, childish and reactionary.
Fair do’s bud. Tbf we can all pick downsides from tonight, but this place is ridiculous when we lose.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wait were people seriously blaming De Gea for the first goal? These are professional footballers. You should expect them to control an easy pass under no pressure.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never mind the goals, the incident where Lindelof shielded the ball for him is the ONE thing that has annoyed me the most tonight. What the actual feck was that?

Walters_19_MuFc

He wasn't at fault for the goal, but feck me, what does it take for him to come off his fecking line? Just makes everyone nervous as feck.

arthurka

He was half at fault for both goals. No need to put the ball to Fred who clearly fecked up and the second should have been smacked with his fist from Jones.. Contact clearly on his mind

Aloysius's Back 3

As good as he is at reflexes; I miss having a goal keeper that controls his box.

It's the reason why he isnt all that great for Spain in my opinion.

UnitedFan93

He's been a great shot stopper over the years but that's about it. Is he a leader? No. Is he vocal? No. Does he organise the defence? No. Does he command his box on set pieces? No. Is he decisive off his line? No. Does he save penalties? No. Is he brave? No. Has he got good distrubution? No. Does he chicken out of 50-50's? Yes.

He has never had a set of balls and in 20 years time I'll look back and compare him to a Fabien Barthez type keeper than a Peter Schmeichel or Edwin van der Sar type. His wage demands do not warrant his performances. It would be crazy to pay him 350 to 400 grand a week. Sell him to Madrid and get a good transfer fee in the process. I think we need to get a more rounded keeper and someone willing to break a nose in order to get 3 points, like big Pete used to do!

Last edited:

Patrick08

As good as he is at reflexes; I miss having a goal keeper that controls his box.

It's the reason why he isnt all that great for Spain in my opinion.
We'd be much better when we get defenders who can actually head the ball and also shield the defense in the midfeild. It's not as important trait as made out to be.

Red00012

One bad game and it’s as if his last 5 years have meant nothing.
This place sometimes :houllier:

Kostov

Wtf blaming him for the goals? Fred incapable of controlling a ball and losing it.

For the second is on the CB. A Manchester United CB getting bullied in the air and it is the GK’s fault? I don’t think so. A proper CB clears that and nothing happens. Can you imagine Virgil van Dijk loosing that header? I don’t think so.

Burkeovic

Been very average for a while now contract issues probably don't help matters, his distribution and controlling the area needs to improve if we are to push for top 4.

SteveW

He's not having a good season imo. Hes had a lot of mistakes but people have tended not to dwell on them

Red00012

He's not having a good season imo. Hes had a lot of mistakes but people have tended not to dwell on them
I’m hoping all this talk about his 2 Spanish teammates leaving won’t influence his decision on signing a new contract.

El-Manos

Let’s be honest, he is having a very average season. That’s putting it nicely too. He shouldn’t be exempt from criticism.

He’s a bit of a pussy really. Always been hesitant coming off his line but tonight gave the impression that this is mainly down to cowardice. Really shit goalkeeping to turn away from the ball when competing for it the way he did tonight, twice.
Agree with this.

I think De Gea's mental fragility doesn't get enough attention. This lack of mental strength is why he makes a disproportionate amount of mistakes in "do or die" knockout competitions e.g. the error vs Sevilla, being beaten too easily at his near post in the Cup Final against Palace, flap against PSG, whole World Cup fiasco etc.

If he goes to Madrid he'll largely do very well in the less physically demanding La Liga, but once he makes a few mistakes and the white hankies come out I could easily see his confidence and form falling off a cliff.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Terrible game. Has not been as consistently amazing this season, he just hasn't. Still a very good goalkeeper and our deficiencies shouldn't stop him for being the best goalkeeper in the world, he clearly has been. Needs to sharpen up his overall game again though.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I agree 100% and have been saying so for years.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I can't speak for everyone but I've been saying for years that he's massively overrated.

Tonight though was sooo bad that I think it's a cause for genuine concern.

If your still happy with him then I ask you to watch the Wolves second goal from tonight and explain what exactly he was doing?

Ive watched it about ten times now and I'm still trying to figure out how 'the best keeper in the world' decides that the best way to come out and claim a pretty average knock down is not, to simply come out and pounce on the ball, but, to stay on his feet and turn his back on it.
Pretty sure that's not in the coaching manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.