Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Second half heads dropped a bit, the tempo was gone, the team started tiring and Chelsea were quite happy to defend the draw. It can be difficult to create clear cut chances in such games.

Objectively we didn't play a bad game, though it could have been better of course. We controlled the game, created some chances, scored a goal and completely nullified Chelsea and Hazard. The game would have been a comfortable win bar the goalkeeping fumble. We probably would have scored again if Chelsea had to start chasing the game in the 2nd, tiring and leaving gaps.

You can't expect in every game your team to ping 3-4 goals in. City won 1-0 today at Burnley.
No but I would like a few shots and more bodies in the box even if it makes us more vulnerable on the counter. Again, Kepa didn't have a save to make in the second half. This was like a cup final game and I don't think we had the right mindset. We were scavenging for a half chance instead of really pressing on with urgency. That's more disappointing than De Gea's mistake in my opinion.

Phil Osophy

The problem more than the occasional blunder is that he's awful at everything out of the line. Playing from the back, defending set pieces and crosses, ancitipating long balls, the guy is a bag of nerves and insecurity and now even more, as his confidence seems to be in the lowest point ever. You can be patient and understanding with someone who really wants to stay and shows some commitment at least, but he always comes looking over the shoulder with silly demands and letting his contract to end, so he can do one for me, zero sympathy.

The best keepers in the game are probably earning around 150-200k, maybe with the exception of Neuer, but De Gea seems to want 350 or 400 if not more when he can't improve any of his weaknesses, and his only remarkable quality is under question marks too and won't last forever. And people suggesting to give him a fat contract so he can relax and play better, it's laughable really.

The sooner we start looking for a more complete and influential keeper the better for us, and the same can be said about the centerbacks by the way. It's impossible to build a solid defence without players with strong character and mentality who can operate together to anticipate problems and dangerous situations on the field. All our defenders including this man are snowflakes with lots of limitations and lack any leadership. You just can't build anything around this, it's impossible.

Mcking

Cech for Leno was just transition to a new keeper.

If you can only come up with two other (debatable) examples of top keepers being dropped since Schmeicel was in goals that proves my point.
Because goalkeepers rarely play as bad as De gea has been playing this season. You rarely see goalkeepers gifting the opposition goals almost every game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because goalkeepers rarely play as bad as De gea has been playing this season. You rarely see goalkeepers gifting the opposition goals almost every game.
Well that’s a matter of opinion, isn’t it? Whatever. My point stands that people are expecting Ole to make an incredibly unusual call. And giving him shit for not making it. Which is stupid.

MadMike

No but I would like a few shots and more bodies in the box even if it makes us more vulnerable on the counter. Again, Kepa didn't have a save to make in the second half. This was like a cup final game and I don't think we had the right mindset. We were scavenging for a half chance instead of really pressing on with urgency. That's more disappointing than De Gea's mistake in my opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I'll disagree.

When one team is only interested in seeing out the game, it often happens that you won't manage many shots on target. Especially when the attacking team is a bit low on confidence and cohesion like ours. When you go through rough patches like this one, that's when you gotta get the basics right. And that involves saving routine, tame shots from CBs from outside the box.

Yeah, I'm disappointed we didn't have more urgency and didn't create enough in the 2nd half. But nowhere near enough as disappointed that we conceded yet another goal out of nothing. We have scored more goals than Chelsea this season and are just one off from Tottenham. But we've conceded way too many stupid goals at the back and have the most goals conceded out of the top 9 teams (10th Watford have only conceded 1 goal more).

The reason our season went to shit was because we couldn't stop shipping goals. And De Gea has a very large chunk of responsibility in that.

UncleBob

I'm basing nothing on emotions. But it's the only argument (you think) you have so you run with it. You sound more butthurt to be honest
Hardly butthurt, just bemused at the reactions from some. He's one of many players that haven't performed well this season, but he's one of extremely few, if any other, players that has overall been rock solid for years. You'd think that offers some leeway during bad spells, but according to popular opinion on the caf, we should just bin him off as he's the main reason we're not making top 4.

This was our first match since Wolves where we scored an goal in open play.

Second half heads dropped a bit, the tempo was gone, the team started tiring and Chelsea were quite happy to defend the draw. It can be difficult to create clear cut chances in such games.

Objectively we didn't play a bad game, though it could have been better of course. We controlled the game, created some chances, scored a goal and completely nullified Chelsea and Hazard. The game would have been a comfortable win bar the goalkeeping fumble. We probably would have scored again if Chelsea had to start chasing the game in the 2nd, tiring and leaving gaps.

You can't expect in every game your team to ping 3-4 goals in. City won 1-0 today at Burnley.
Based on what ? The second half was more or less shambles of a performance, where we went from looking like a team in the first half to looking like 11 individuals in the second half. In a must win match we barely registered any chances, and we completely failed to put Chelsea under any pressure. Do we deserve praise for nullifying a Chelsea side that was happy with a draw, a Chelsea side that has scored less goals than us and who had to resort to bringing in Higuain on loan ?

MadMike

Cech for Leno was just transition to a new keeper.

If you can only come up with two other (debatable) examples of top keepers being dropped since Schmeicel was in goals that proves my point.
Happened to Pepe Reina, Victor Valdes, Mignolet, Karius, Joe Hart, Bravo, Casillias, Cech (both at Chelsea and Arsenal) and recently Buffon.

Sometimes you gotta admit when you're wrong.

Last edited:

UncleBob

always comes looking over the shoulder with silly demands and letting his contract to end.
And this is based on what ?

Nor is it a surprise that our best performers are looking for a wage bump, and a hefty one, when we were happy to give Sanchez an absolutely mental contract.

Mcking

Well that’s a matter of opinion, isn’t it? Whatever. My point stands that people are expecting Ole to make an incredibly unusual call. And giving him shit for not making it. Which is stupid.
Well Solskjaer is there to make the big decisions. He doesn't have to go by how usual or unusual such decisions are made. De gea has been a liability the whole season, and the more we've stuck with him, he more he's cost us. He should have been dropped few games ago.

UncleBob

Happened to Pepe Reina, Victor Valdes, Mignolet, Karius, Joe Hart, Bravo, Casillias, Cech (both Chelsea and Arsenal) and recently Buffon.

Which one of these situations were similar to De Gea's ?

crossy1686

career ending
We have to sell De Gea this summer. There's no other way this can end now, maybe he's already been told he's being sold and that's why he's doing this shit.

Fergie Steps In

Remember what LVG did when De Gea showed signs that his head was not in the game? He benched De Gea for several matches. It is the manager's job to pay attention to the mentality of his starting keeper.

MadMike

Hardly butthurt, just bemused at the reactions from some. He's one of many players that haven't performed well this season, but he's one of extremely few, if any other, players that has overall been rock solid for years. You'd think that offers some leeway during bad spells, but according to popular opinion on the caf, we should just bin him off as he's the main reason we're not making top 4.
Well, stop talking like you're butthurt then. The calling to sell him, is based on the fact that he's not renewing his contract anyway. Why keep a player who you'll lose for free when he's not performing either? At least you'd argue that if he's playing well you might let him run down the contract and get another year out of him.

And he's also tried to leave by not renewing in the past and was a "fax machine" away form doing so. Not exactly the type of player to show some huge loyalty to. It's all very rational over here.

Based on what ? The second half was more or less shambles of a performance, where we went from looking like a team in the first half to looking like 11 individuals in the second half.
Shambles of a performance was that at Everton. If you have no measure of what shambles is how do you expect me to discuss with you?

Which one of these situations were similar to De Gea's ?
To an extent, all of them.

crossy1686

career ending
All keepers go through a bad patch. De Gea has been great for us, he's hardly the reason why United are struggling
I'm not saying it is but do you think he's worth £400k a week? He's in the last year of his contract, he isn't going to get better, this kind of thing is going to happen more often and if you think selling Sanchez is hard, imagine trying to sell a £400k a week goalkeeper that throws the ball in his own net. We'd be fecking stupid not to move him on after all this.

crossy1686

career ending
He's having a nightmare, but I'd still be confident starting next season with him if we can agree a new contract.
You've seen what it does to the team when he can't save a very comfortable shot, it completely drains them. You may be confident going into next season but our defence will never be if he's behind them and he continues to do this shit, on £400k a week at that.

Art Vandelay

You've seen what it does to the team when he can't save a very comfortable shot, it completely drains them. You may be confident going into next season but our defence will never be if he's behind them and he continues to do this shit, on £400k a week at that.
He's a very good keeper going through a bad patch, it happens. If he signs a new contract it won't be on £400k a week, that's crazy paper talk. Calm down, he's been arguably the best keeper in the world for the past few years and if it's right for everyone we'll sign him to a new contract. If not he'll leave. No sense getting bent out of shape about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Happened to DDG during his first year.
As I said already, dropping a new keeper who is having a blip is not unusual. Dropping an established (arguably best in the league over last few years) is almost unheard of. And it’s not all that unusual for great keepers to have an iffy run. Happened to Van Der Sar a few times. Everyone paints him as flawless with hindsight but he had some rough patches.

Skint Billionaire

All keepers go through a bad patch. De Gea has been great for us, he's hardly the reason why United are struggling
Nothing keeps a good man down. We've been a clusterfcuk anyway these past years but the Spanish spine of Hererra, Mata and De Gea etc are loyal and immense. Even if Mata has lost pace he's quality. Our Spanish players should be played regularly in the right system and right formation. Mourinho mucked that up big time. Let's regroup. Glazers must dig deep. Fans must fight hard and stick together. We've had shit times in the past and will find our feet again. Don't worry.

Bristol_Red_87

Love the bloke, and would be genuinely upset to see him go if he does leave in the summer.

I'm more frustrated with OGS. Take him out of the firing line, and by the start of next season, if he's still with us, and starts strong, everyone, including those ridiculing him on here, will have forgotten about the World Cup and this season.

We've shown him loyalty and his past performances to me has made the decision to drop him all the more difficult but the time has now come.

He should have been on a beach somewhere 7 days ago.

crossy1686

career ending
He's a very good keeper going through a bad patch, it happens. If he signs a new contract it won't be on £400k a week, that's crazy paper talk. Calm down, he's been arguably the best keeper in the world for the past few years and if it's right for everyone we'll sign him to a new contract. If not he'll leave. No sense getting bent out of shape about it.
Keepers don't recover from poor form, they get sold and start again somewhere else. A defence and the team have to trust their goalkeeper and if they know he's going to throw the ball in his own net you have zero foundations to build upon, look at Karius, there's no coming back from not saving every shot that comes at you from outside of the box.

He's turned down £350k a week, what's he going to accept £351k a week? You can bet it's more than Sanchez is on, let's put it that way.

Selling De Gea this summer and using the money to get in 2 class CB's would be a vast improvement to the team as a whole. It doesn't matter what he's been in the past, Torres was amazing once, feck, even Sanchez was good at one point, De Gea isn't going to get any better than he currently is, he's only going one way.

lRed

What is happening to him ?
Got us CL football almost every season thanks to his saves, yet he seems to be elsewhere. (Zidane is unlikely to sign him up)
I guess it's the same problem we have with a lot of different players, contracts talks, it ruins mentalities and doesn't help to focus on football. Thank's to Sanchez.

MadMike

As I said already, dropping a new keeper who is having a blip is not unusual. Dropping an established (arguably best in the league over last few years) is almost unheard of
It's not, you just keep ignoring the examples presented to you. You're doing a Wenger right now :wenger:

MadMike

Nobody has come up with a comparable example though. Established, very highly rated keeper at big club who gets dropped after a few poor performances. It just doesn’t happen.
Further up this page mate.

Happened to Pepe Reina, Victor Valdes, Mignolet, Karius, Joe Hart, Bravo, Casillias, Cech (both at Chelsea and Arsenal) and recently Buffon.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They don't usually get dropped, that's why. They're generally sold instead.
Eventually yeah. Although De Gea’s got more credit in his bank than most, which should protect him against that outcome. Although, to be honest, I wouldn’t be gutted if he did move on. Terrific shot-stopper but has sone important flaws in his game, including temperament. Feels like he still hasn’t got over the WC. Which is not great.

crossy1686

career ending
Eventually yeah. Although De Gea’s got more credit in his bank than most, which should protect him against that outcome. Although, to be honest, I wouldn’t be gutted if he did move on. Terrific shot-stopper but has sone important flaws in his game, including temperament. Feels like he still hasn’t got over the WC. Which is not great.
I don't feel his game is well rounded enough to be successful under Solskjær and the way he wants to play. He's a world class shot stopper at close range but apart from that the rest of his game is average. I'm more than confident Fergie would have sold him before now also.

I think we should sell when you look at the contract situation, and reinvest in quality CB's instead. We've won league titles with 'worse' keepers.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As I said already, dropping a new keeper who is having a blip is not unusual. Dropping an established (arguably best in the league over last few years) is almost unheard of. And it’s not all that unusual for great keepers to have an iffy run. Happened to Van Der Sar a few times. Everyone paints him as flawless with hindsight but he had some rough patches.

No, VDS & Schmeichel definitely had sketchy times in net (Schmeichel having a bit more than VDS) & DDG has had sketchy times as well, starting with his first game for us. But, just because dropping a starting elite keeper hasn’t been done that much in the past, that certainly shouldn’t have any weight on if a current elite keeper needs to be benched. There was a strong, valid argument for benching DDG today, unfortunately he wasn’t. He needs to be for the next two matches for more reasons than just him. Ole looks impotent & disingenuous if he doesn’t. He has dropped most of the outfield players for poor performances or to freshen things up, absolutely no reason not to apply that same rule to DDG.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No, VDS & Schmeichel definitely had sketchy times in net (Schmeichel having a bit more than VDS) & DDG has had sketchy times as well, starting with his first game for us. But, just because dropping a starting elite keeper hasn’t been done that much in the past, that certainly shouldn’t have any weight on if a current elite keeper needs to be benched. There was a strong, valid argument for benching DDG today, unfortunately he wasn’t. He needs to be for the next two matches for more reasons than just him. Ole looks impotent & disingenuous if he doesn’t. He has dropped most of the outfield players for poor performances or to freshen things up, absolutely no reason not to apply that same rule to DDG.
There’s every reason not to apply that same rule to DDG. Which is the point I keep making. Keepers just don’t get dropped like outfield players.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I can actually forgive his blunders as he has enough credit in the bank (and, quite frankly, the other 10 players should be bailing him out like he's done for them over and over again) but i can't forgive his distribution. It's abysmal and something he hasn't improved on at all since he's been here. The amount of times he just kicks the ball straight out or, even worse, straight at the opposition player is ridiculous for an elite keeper.

Dan_F

No point dropping him now. You’d hope we can win the last two games regardless, dropping him would only bring more questions going into the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.