Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really surprised at the massive mistake for the second goal. I wouldn't write him off as a lot of people seem to be doing now. He is clearly not in the greatest of form, whether that is distraction or something else. But he is still a very good keeper, and I would be disappointing if we just binned him over one season not at the massive expectations we have created for him based on his previous seasons. If anything we really should be getting behind him, and giving him the confidence to get back to his best.

As fans we should be ignoring the whole contract side of it. Let Ed negotiate that, and even if we do look at selling (I don't think we will), we want him at his best to help us for the rest of the season and to get the highest price possible.

el3mel

Romero would have saved only the goal where De Gea let it through his body
He'd however have let in the goal that Dave saved (with his head? :lol:)
Ter Stergens distribution was absolutely awful in the first leg because we closed him down efficiently and yet, he is placed in this pedestal as the perfect modern keeper
This thread is pure hyperbole
You mean the save at the end of the first half?

Wasn't the ball literally shot in his face? Terrible finishing far more than great save imo.

RedDevil@84

Had an off day. Had a few unlikely slip ups in this season. But the reason he is getting the flak is because he set the bar too high. And some fans on caf wanting Courtois to replace him must be drunk.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
As a Spanish I just dont rate him at all. He cant handle the pressure of important games imo.

Gagsy

Can't remember a time I've rated deGea anything less than a 7 in the last five years.

Last three games? 1, 1 & 1.

He's been shocking of late.

SungSam7

As a Spanish I just dont rate him at all. He cant handle the pressure of important games imo.
Give over, if there's anything to be learnt over the past few years, the most pressurising goalkeeping job in the world is at United considering the cross that DDG has in front of him. Just because he was part of an under performing Spanish squad in the past 2 world cups is not his fault.

Anyway I wouldn't take the opinion of a Real Madrid fan no offence, you haven't exactly treated your best ever player with much respect over the years.

PaulRich

Is he going or staying? He needs to answer that and then get on with it. Either way.

Suedesi

I've been critical about parts of his game for a while now, but now suddenly people want to sell him, saying he makes too many mistakes. He's in poor form, but he actually rarely makes mistakes like the one today. He probably should have stopped Messis first as well tbh. Even Schmeichel had bad patches of form. Hell, Messi has them.

Ddg needs to improve his distribution, no doubt.
Not rarely, he’s been making a lot of gaffes and uncharacteristic mistakes over the last year:

Ronaldo at the World Cup
Xhaka in the league
Wolves in the league (Smalling og)
Kimpembe at OT vs PSG
That punch in Paris
Valery in the Southampton match
West Ham in Sunday (I defended him but after careful viewing his ball to Mata was underhit)
Messi at Camp Nou x2

Prime DDG doesnt get beat by Coutinho from 30 yards neither.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If there's any player in our squad that has earned a pass, it's him. He cost us tonight but he's saved us on an absurd number of occasions the last few years.
Yes but his recent performances have shown an increasingly worrying trend. If his heart isn’t in it anymore we need to be decisive about his future because he’s a very valuable asset and we don’t want him having another season where he goes through the motions.

Personally I can’t see why Madrid would be after him after another horror show on the big stage - so I reckon he should probably stay and get his head right.

Or it could be being away from Spain is finally getting too much for him - either way he himself and the club need to get to the bottom of it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From losing games obviously. He's been our best player for years.
We finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd in the last 5 seasons with him in goals. We could've had Tom Heaton in goal in that period and still easily replicated those league finishes..

SiamDevil

His current status prevents most fans worldwide to assess him critically and makes them discredit any good performances from the defenders and even blame them for his mistakes because they "unsettled him". But crap defense or not there is no denying the clear weaknesses to his game some here had already pointed out, as well as the fact that he's not been the same player since the world cup. Also, there is absolutely no excuse for the howler last night.

Regarding his new contract, we must not give him 400k. Not for this season as a whole especially. I know that this means that we will have to let him go but we cannot let this "not giving 100% until new contract" crap becomes a regular occurrence which means player power culture. De Gea is my favourite player, but that comes after being a United fan. If him leaving is good for the club in the long run then so be it.

Coxy

We finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd in the last 5 seasons with him in goals. We could've had Tom Heaton in goal in that period and still easily replicated those league finishes..
No we wouldn’t - he saved us so many times the last few seasons. He saved us points.

Teffe

De Gea is probably one of the best shotblocker in the world. Unfortunately his lack of contribution in the passing area hurts the team as a whole. Get a ballplaying keeper and things would work out much better. I wish he could´ve come out of his goalline for once and give the defenders a passing option. Like for the first goal yesterday. Jones points and tells Young t turn back and pass De Gea. De Gea responds and tells Young to hoof it instead, making Young panic a bit when having no other options. Ter Stegen would´ve moved a few meters sideway and helped his defende and change the play to the right. De Gea doesn't.

Withnail

You cant be serious.

He's worth at least 10-12 pts per season and has regularly been the difference between united winning or drawing games they had no right to given the chances the team gave up.

With Heaton in goal those league places would have been a lot worse.

Does anyone have the performance vs xG against of the top keepers?

My recollection is De Gea is consistently outperforming the other top keepers

Reactions: SteveJ

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You cant be serious.

He's worth at least 10-12 pts per season and has regularly been the difference between united winning or drawing games they had no right to given the chances the team gave up.

With Heaton in goal those league places would have been a lot worse.

Does anyone have the performance vs xG against of the top keepers?

My recollection is De Gea is consistently outperforming the other top keepers
I'm serious, any good keeper could've played for us in that period and had us finish above the likes of Southampton..

Withnail

I'm serious, any good keeper could've played for us in that period and had us finish above the likes of Southampton..
Saying it doesn't make it so.

If you take out De Gea and the many amazing saves he made and replace him with a Heaton, United finish 10 - 12 pts further down the table in pretty much every season you are referencing.

What are you actually basing this opinion on apart from the fact that United are better than Southampton?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Saying it doesn't make it so.

If you take out De Gea and the many amazing saves he made and replace him with a Heaton, United finish 10 - 12 pts further down the table in pretty much every season you are referencing.

What are you actually basing this opinion on apart from the fact that United are better than Southampton?
Burnley fans also say that Heaton's saves are at least 10 extra points a season.

I don't think we'd finish below Southampton with Heaton in nets either. Southampton finished one place behind us in two of the 5 seasons I mentioned and you think we'd finish behind them with Heaton in goal?

Fracture90

He's having the worst season (mistake wise) since his debut season. That goal he let it, killed all our hopes and dreams.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I’m actually worried about him for the next game. If his head isn’t right we must not play him.

Withnail

Burnley fans also say that Heaton's saves are at least 10 extra points a season.

I don't think we'd finish below Southampton with Heaton in nets either. Southampton finished one place behind us in two of the 5 seasons I mentioned and you think we'd finish behind them with Heaton in goal?

Hang now you've changed your pt.

First of all you said we could have replicated our league finishes with Heaton in goal and now your saying we'd only have to finish above southmpton.

They were 17th when we came second

Good luck

Rossa

Yeah I guess he could have done it. He is just in a terrible run of form right now.

I am just frustrated with De Gea since there is so much talent in him. Yet I do think it is probably best to bring in a more confident keeper who is strong in the air and more dominant. Think it would help our defense a lot.
Agree with this. We expect more from him because we know he can do better.

Bojan11

Not rarely, he’s been making a lot of gaffes and uncharacteristic mistakes over the last year:

Ronaldo at the World Cup
Xhaka in the league
Kimpembe at OT vs PSG
That punch in Paris
West Ham in Sunday (I defended him but after careful viewing his ball to Mata was underhit)
Messi at Camp Nou x2

This.

Look at how many mistakes he has been making in the past two months. No idea how people can defend this. He needs to be dropped.

His best seasons were under Hoek where he was actually coming off his line for crosses and was a lot more dominant. His passing was a lot more better too. Now he’s just stuck on his line. That Messi cross from last week maybe a more dominant keeper comes out for that. He’s stuck on his line and provides shit distribution.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hang now you've changed your pt.

First of all you said we could have replicated our league finishes with Heaton in goal and now your saying we'd only have to finish above southmpton.

They were 17th when we came second

Good luck
Read my post again..

Rossa

Ronaldo at the World Cup
Xhaka in the league
Kimpembe at OT vs PSG
That punch in Paris
Messi at Camp Nou x2

My point exactly. He's having a poor season. Agree with this

Revaulx

I keep saying we need a proper GK coach. Can't have his mate around next season. That is not a professional environment. How the feck can United not see that? The is the worse GK coach we have ever had.
Keep saying it as much as you like; it’ll keep getting ignored. Though it seems pretty obvious that you are right.
I haven't got much to base this on but I believe we should sack Emiliano Alvarez the GK coach at the end of the season. He's DDG pal and pretty much acts like one of the players when he's with the Spanish lot.

I can't believe he is coaching DDG as well as he can with how tight and jokey the appear to be. This has been DDG's worse season since his first year here. He has got worse in every single aspect of goalkeeping this season. His flaws such as coming off his line and playing out from the back have got even worse when you expect him to improve on them.

Even the best need top class coaching. Bring back Frans Hoek or any top class coach and get rid of Alvarez.
At least someone else is asking intelligent questions :)
This is also the first time he’s being asked to try and be a part of the build up in a united shirt. Every time he’s been asked to do that for Spain, he’s messed up.
I don’t agree with this at all. There was nothing wrong with his distribution until Jose arrived. He then abandoned rolling it out or short passing in favour of hoof-it-and-hope, almost certainly at the manager’s request. Since Ole arrived he’s again being asked to distribute properly; the problem seems to be that he has forgotten how to. Which brings us back to poor coaching...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We wouldn’t have finished as ‘high’ as we did without him in goal
We finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd in the last 5 seasons with him between the posts. If you don't think a good keeper couldn't replicate that, then we'll agree to disagree..

ForeverUnited93

He's absolutely checked out, his head has been turned IMO, and with Europa League on the horizon for next season why would he stay? has saved our ass over and over again in previous years.

Reckon he will join PSG along with Herrera.

Djemba-Djemba

Ronaldo at the World Cup
Xhaka in the league
Kimpembe at OT vs PSG
That punch in Paris
Messi at Camp Nou x2

Mustafi header at OT
Poor Kickout away to Brighton leading to goal
Aguero away to City, De Gea would never have let that in during his best years.

It's bizarre to say, but he's genuinely becoming a liability.

devips

In earlier seasons, he had Fellaini and Valencia for hoofing the ball to. Now he doesn't have that luxury.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Mustafi header at OT
Poor Kickout away to Brighton leading to goal
Aguero away to City, De Gea would never have let that in during his best years.

It's bizarre to say, but he's genuinely becoming a liability.
Wouldn't go as far to say that. He has regressed a bit in the last two years though, maybe his head is somewhere else now. That being said, who in world football can you realistically sign to replace him? Ter Stegen and Oblak are the only two who goalkeepers I would say atleast match him at shotstopping (Alisson and Ederson I'm still not fully convinced on) and I don't think either are realistic.

Oblak may be willing to come but he will take a lot of money to sign, the question is that whether he will really be that much of an upgrade over De Gea? I don't think he will be, therefore it doesn't make sense to sell De Gea to sign him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Strange how his distribution got so much worse over the years. If he does not sign a new contract, it is time to cash in.

On current form, maybe it is time to reward Romero with some game time

Djemba-Djemba

Wouldn't go as far to say that. He has regressed a bit in the last two years though, maybe his head is somewhere else now. That being said, who in world football can you realistically sign to replace him? Ter Stegen and Oblak are the only two who goalkeepers I would say atleast match him at shotstopping (Alisson and Ederson I'm still not fully convinced on) and I don't think either are realistic.

Oblak may be willing to come but he will take a lot of money to sign, the question is that whether he will really be that much of an upgrade over De Gea? I don't think he will be, therefore it doesn't make sense to sell De Gea to sign him.
I'm not saying he's on a permanent decline and that he's finished, of course not. Ideally I'd like him to sign the contract and stay.

But in April 2019, in the here and now he's absolutely a liability.

You can go back through the last 6 or 7 weeks and in virtually every game we've played he's fecked up and cost us a goal. His distribution is appalling, he refuses to come off his line no matter what during set pieces and it feels like anything on target is causing him trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.