Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He’s lame and we are stuck with him

You have to question the PE teacher’s judgement in giving him a new deal

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's only 29 though. What age were they when their form went? Plus I get how increasing age could impact reflexes but these are errors of concentration.
About the same age I think?

Paul_Scholes18

I love De Gea but Christ, the last year has been a nightmare. It's like the last world cup broke him.

These mistakes have nothing to do with the type of GK he is, or reflexes slowing, or any of that normal shit. His head has just been microwaved by something.

Best chance we have of fixing him is dropping him for Romero and giving him space to figure out whatever has feceked him up. Keeping him in the spotlight won't help.
Yeah the current form is mental and it seems like it hasn't gone away. Last spring was terrible beyond count, but now he is making howlers again.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not been convincing at all of late. Silly errors and looking very unsure on corners again. Was lucky to get the foul on him in the first half.

Its alright speaking in press about there being a lack of quality in the team, but he needs to be the one showing that quality and he hasnt been for quite some time now.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Needs to spend some time on the bench. How long does a "rut" just become the norm now? He's been quite average for about 2 years, and his massive shortcomings are no longer outweighed by his phenomenal shot stopping.

Get Romero in for at least a few games. If he performs then he keeps the spot. It's as easy as that.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Romero in now or accept mediocrity?

Thats the choice in my opinion.

If you can't see how our problems in defence start with the goalkeeper then you're part of the problem.

(To be clear, I'm not saying this is our only problem, but at least the other problems get regularly discussed).

Paul_Scholes18

The sad thing is that we are stuck with him now just like Sanchez.

I think we need to keep him, but have him on the bench next season. Henderson should be cheap enough as a first choice keeper so we could do it.

Djemba-Djemba

We didn't drop him last season when we should have , he carried on making at least one huge error a game and we missed out on top 4.

He 100% should be dropped now.

He looks a nervous wreck with every set piece and his error today was just appalling.

Paul_Scholes18

Romero in now or accept mediocrity?

Thats the choice in my opinion.

If you can't see how our problems in defence start with the goalkeeper then you're part of the problem.

(To be clear, I'm not saying this is our only problem, but at least the other problems get regularly discussed).
Ole didn't give Romero the chance last season when he was worse than now. Sadly it feels like Ole sticks
with shitty performances and do not coach or lift the players much to do better individually.
Lingard hasn't scored for ages, but it feels like Ole hasn't even noticed. Same with De Gea.

Based Adnan

De Gea was making a mistake every game towards the end of last season and ultimately cost up top 4 and Romero still didn't get a chance. Wishful thinking asking for him to be dropped imo.

el3mel

How the feck did he let such a crime of a goal to go in ? Unfeckingbelievable.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Posted this in the Colchester post- match thread where I got a warning for suggesting that a De Gea injury may well be a blessing in disguise for United and do him some good with time to reflect.

“Rested” aka dropped. Funny thing is people in general call for senior players to be dropped all the time and I imagine going through that, questioning yourself, with any potential insecurities you might have is far more uncomfortable than losing your place due to someone stepping up whilst your injured or rested. Anyway I digress...

Sooner rather than later we’re likely to have a decision to make on De Gea with Henderson and Romero in the wings. If you are going to command the salary he is on, then you have to be one of the best keepers in the world and De Gea has been a tier or two below for a long time. Worst mistake we could make is what Chelsea and Arsenal did and play Cech for his reputation rather than his performances for the best part of a decade.
I’ve been quite outspoken on De Gea for year now on here and where I sit at the ground. I just cannot see any justification for the contract we paying him:
  • Romero was the superior keeper in Mou’s first season, 16-17 and fully deserved his start in the Europa League final;
  • De Gea was exceptional in 17-18 unquestionably:
  • In 18-19, De Gea was quite poor on the whole with a few notable performances aside and Romero not getting a look in
  • and again in 19-20 Romero is the far more dependable keeper.
People bang on about Romero playing weaker opposition on the whole, but De Gea just leaks goals against crap opposition. He was shocking today. After being at fault on corners against both City and Everton, costing two goals, two clean sheets and two points, he gets away with one in the first half, when Cathcart is harshly penalised against him and really the goal should have stood. VAR was never overturning that. Second half he throws one into the goal and dives out of the way of Deeney’s inevitable thunderbastard.

We are repeating the same mistake again with Rooney and Sanchez where we give a peaked player a massive contract and give ourselves financial problems, as well as burdening ourselves to play a player with little to offer. Ole’s got a real decision to make now, not just in the summer, as De Gea no longer justifies a place in the team, and performances like this will cost him his job.

Paul_Scholes18

Done as a top level goalkeeper, but no way to get him out of the club. Great decision making once again. This club is rotten
We love to give huge contracts to stars having been shit just before we give it to them. Then they carry on being shit
and it is almost like we are shocked they are not in peak form anymore.

slored1

Mentally the weakest player in our squad. Fecks up in almost every game.

Boneli

It’s time to take him out of the firing line. The stat about no player in the Premier League making more errors leading to goals (6) since the start of last season is a pretty shocking indictment on the highest paid keeper in the league. Romero deserves his chance, and then give Henderson a shot next season. We need to stop picking De Gea on his past reputation. He hasn’t been that player for too long now.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Really happy we planned for the future by paying our declining goalkeeper who refuses to come off his line £375K a week for 5 years. Has cost us so many goals this season already, some more obvious than others.

No-one will take him off our hands with the wages he's on either. We're stuck with him.
We tried to warn them, too late now.

Godfather

He got lucky the first time. Goal should have stood in my opinion. No excuse for the second. Put Romero in instead of him until he grows a pair.

JG3001

Don’t understand why we were so desperate to keep hold of him at a time when he clearly isn’t at his best anymore. Considering how much we could have cashed in on him, we’re now looking at yet another overpaid, underperforming player.

Sentimentality is going to completely ruin this club.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Mentally the weakest player in our squad. Fecks up in almost every game.
Yet has the audacity to slag everyone else off the other week (in an interview behind their back of course, not on the pitch were it could actually make a difference).

Our saviour everybody (so I keep getting told anyway).

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's no better than your average PL keeper these days but probably paid twice as much as all of them.

Every half chance is a goal it seems.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe that thread about him as United greatest goalkeeper is weighing him down. It's been proven that the Caf have that much power on players.

kundalini

Looks a nervous wreck at the moment. Dropped the corner in the first half after minimal contact from a Watford player; ref gave a foul fortunately.

No idea how Sarr's shot went through his hands. Astonishing error.

Since the World Cup, De Gea's form has ranged from average PL keeper to shocking.

Rarely comes for crosses, doesn't act as a sweeper keeper, average distribution. Shot stopping is his only strength and even that seems to be in the distant past.

izec

No surprise really, anyone who thought he would be a top keeper again at United is in for a shock. The right thing for him and the club was to let him go, because nothing could happen for him to rediscover it again here, not on high wages anyway. People thought a contract extension was the solution, but it isnt.

He isnt the same anymore. That today was a pub level performance, i doubt anyone on the caf would have conceded that goal. Now the cycle continues. The contract and poor from will make sure no club will be in for him, thus us having him here and he will live off the reputation and the fans will believe that he can become a top keeper again, while being inconsistent and dragging us down more than he should. Absolutely fitting to our current situation as a whole.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was against his new deal last summer, and still think it was a mistake. You just can’t reward the form he was showing with a 5 year deal.

‘My Mum would have saved that’ is some cliché, but she really would have.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Was a huge part in us missing out on top four and not been much better this season, now with that stupid contract we are stuck with him.

FattyFooty

At least David's highlight reels are gonna be something special. Both the saves and the bloopers.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought he looked back to his best but that's two mistakes in two games now. I don't care what anyone says, he should've done better last week. If that was given as a foul if we scored people on here would be fuming.

Yagami

Good post resistant
A few of us got stick for suggesting he was past it last year. Sadly, it looks like it wasn't just him in some poor form. This looks like his standard now.

I'd definitely give Romero a run starting against the Geordies.

Sylar

Christmas is the perfect time for him to have time out the team and play Romero. Just let him go Spain or something for some rest.

This was always going to happen after he carried us for five years.

Alabaster Codify7

Our new Wayne Rooney/Alexis Sanchez problem of gigantic proportions.

We simply cannot be paying our substitute goalkeeper £400,000 a fecking week. It is as simple as that, he is essentially undroppable as a result of that ridiculous contract we dished out to him in the summer. DDG has been visibly weaker in his performances, surely someone at the club should have wondered if this was the beginning of a decline?

Devil81

I'd say he's really mentally weak to the point I now believe he shouldn't be untouchable. We've got a fantastic English prospect on our books and if De Gea keeps this form up I think we should offer the lad to Madrid and run with our prospect.

So many mistakes now it's getting hard to defend him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.