g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

I like DDG and I will always be grateful for all he gave us during some pretty lean years. But it baffles the mind to think that the club would put itself in another Sanchez-like situation, paying a wildly inflated salary for a player whose best days have likely passed. Would it really surprise anyone to hear of discord in the ranks at the perceived injustice of De Gea's being paying that kind of salary?

Alabaster Codify7

Romero should play all of our Christmas fixtures but Ole hasn't got the bottle to drop DDG. Wouldn't be surprised, also, if Ole would be instructed to play DDG to avoid having to spend £400,000 a week on a substitute goalkeeper. This new contract has basically fecked us right over.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Even when this guy was the best shot stopper in the world, our defence always struggled from not having an all rounded goal keeper.

He isn't the type of keeper that gets better with age & will only get worse with age because he relies on reflexes than an understanding of the game like goalkeepers like Van der saar ended up using when old to play around his positioning, set pieces, goal kicks/passes and leadership.

M Bison

Supports
York City
There's no way he'll get dropped and it will cost us again. Boxing day vs Newcastle, they'll just lump it in the box and target him. Andy Carroll will clatter him first chance he gets and he'll start to panic.

He was probably quite lucky to get that free kick in his favour in the 1st half that led to a goal (same as the goal vs Everton) - haven't seen it replayed but at the time, looked soft.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In regards to we won’t always be this shit is in what context? This season he has made the least amount of saves per game than in the past 3 seasons. Maguire/AWB/Victor have shut the tap in front of him. Our defence literally cannot get any better unless they have a commanding voice behind them organizing them further.
I mean that if we had a stronger team like before then we could rely on him for the rare moments when the opposition mainly threaten from long range shots. Those tend to be De Gea's bread and butter, and arguably what he made his name doing, in addition to closer shots which magnified his cat-like reflexes (age could be showing now).

As far as I see, the way our team is set-up to attack on the counter increases pressure on the defense because it means the opposition have more chances to score, which shows up both De Gea and our defence's weaknesses. Put simply, inviting players to attack us and hoping for a break is a bad idea because we can't soak up pressure.

Basically, I agree with your point. Given the way we play, we do need a more commanding keeper who takes better command of the box (including at corners).

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I wanted him gone in summer. There was some doubt in my mind though, thinking if it was too early to make Henderson no. 1 but now definitely we should make Henderson our no. 1 from 2020 season onwards. Sell De Gea to likes of PSG who may still buy him. Of course it depends on how many more feck ups De Gea does till end of season. We may not have any buyers for him at this rate.

Paul_Scholes18

I wanted him gone in summer. There was some doubt in my mind though, thinking if it was too early to make Henderson no. 1 but now definitely we should make Henderson our no. 1 from 2020 season onwards. Sell De Gea to likes of PSG who may still buy him. Of course it depends on how many more feck ups De Gea does till end of season. We may not have any buyers for him at this rate.
Navas is a much betteer keeper having won the CL a number of times too. No way they are going to want De Gea.

He'sRaldo

I like DDG and I will always be grateful for all he gave us during some pretty lean years. But it baffles the mind to think that the club would put itself in another Sanchez Rooney-like situation, paying a wildly inflated salary for a player whose best days have likely passed. Would it really surprise anyone to hear of discord in the ranks at the perceived injustice of De Gea's being paying that kind of salary?
Fixed. Doesn't baffle the mind that much tbh.

Last edited:

Bobski

I thought that was an incredibly soft foul given in his favour for the disallowed goal. It is part of the reason whey his contract extension was a tricky call, you had to hope that his reflexes were not dropping off because without them he is Shay Given.

Jacob

Get rid. Don't care if he's more experienced or better than Dean. At a tenth of his salary, we'll get minimum 80 percent of DDG's output.

UncleBob

I thought that was an incredibly soft foul given in his favour for the disallowed goal. It is part of the reason whey his contract extension was a tricky call, you had to hope that his reflexes were not dropping off because without them he is Shay Given.
Why ?

Its a clear free kick, they just bottled the previous decision.

DoomSlayer

he’s made 2 mistakes in 2 weeks. 1 he should’ve got a reprieve as it was a foul, but granted, he still made a mistake. Prior to that, he’s had a decent season.

To claim he’s the worst keeper in the premier league is funny. It’s ridiculous and it’s a massive overreaction.
Do stats mean nothing to you? I can't be bothered with people who purposefully close their eyes to reality. He has been atrocious since the World cup and has continued in the same manner for our club, resulting in being dropped for Spain. Yet people claim that there is an agenda against the best paid GK in the world for expecting world class performances consistently?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Absolutely. It isn't a question of technique like it was for Hart. These are the sort of errors 5 year olds make. Letting a bar of soap through your finger mistakes. Agenda shitposters like Kerry Donaghy will have a field day but this lad needs a psychologist and a good solid month off to get his head sorted. Goalkeeper is the loneliest position. He needs support not abuse.
Seriously?

I have went out of my way to point out that I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong on this but I'm still waiting.

We are currently seeing our keeper make the same mistakes over and over again and the only attempt to change the situation was to throw more money at him.
I think we all as fans should be questioning the logic on this rather than, for whatever reason, turning a blind eye to it.
Nobody is suggesting for a second that this is our only problem, the lack of creativity for example, is arguably a much bigger problem but this is still a problem.
We can spend all the money we want on more creativity but we're still not going to compete at the elite level we should if we have a goalkeeper who is constantly costing us goals with individual errors.

Ive just watched four sky TV pundits discuss the problems at Utd for 20 minutes there and De Gea's name didn't come up once, even as they're sitting watching him fumble the ball into the net.
In fact, Pogba seemed to be getting more of the blame than De Gea for today from them for some bizarre reason.
Yet apparently I'm the one who has an agenda.

The only agenda I'm on is wanting the best for this club because I love it, if you can't see that then you're part of the problem.

Last edited:

Bobski

Why ?

Its a clear free kick, they just bottled the previous decision.
Minimal contact for me, though to be fair I am one of those who think keepers get far too much protection in situations like that, should be able to jump with them in the same way you can with an outfield player, I don't mean arms all over each other, but some shoulder to shoulder contact. Fair Game.

De Gea would have been eaten up in earlier eras of the game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would overlook his errors if he wasn't so timid and could actually command his area which would really help our defence. But he just stays rooted to his line and exposes the aerial fraility of not just himself but others in the backline.

Our defense is crying out for a proactive keeper and De Gea is not in the slightest proactive. If Henderson or Romero can provide a strong presence for us whilst dealing with aerial balls then they would be better suited to helping our defense.

He's made far too many blunders now and needs to be held to account and needs to sit on the bench. Or is there zero accountability left at the club?

dev1l

I think DeGea s errors are mainly due to lack of concentration. Maybe it s about time we give Romero some more games...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Which GK's (realistically available) have a strong command of the box? De Gea is so weak at that aspect. Never looks assured.

Onana is great at this from what I've seen.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My barometer for "bad form" and "genuinely finished" is 18 months. De Gea has now been poor for 18 months. I think he may be done...

Paul_Scholes18

My barometer for "bad form" and "genuinely finished" is 18 months. De Gea has now been poor for 18 months. I think he may be done...
I think he can still regain confidence under the right manager (probably in another club). Although Ole has done nothing to try to stop this bad form it seems. He plays him in all league games and defends him all the time.
They might talk about things behind the scenes, but if they do it is not working.

DoomSlayer

I think overall this year he has been the worst keeper in the league in total. Even keepers like Krul has got a few penalty saves. Pickford has been pretty bad too.
I'm being laughed at for saying something similar, P4P he is the worse, in my opinion.

Foster made a good save on Rashford today with his legs, I bet if that was De Gea, people would be calling it world class.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Which GK's (realistically available) have a strong command of the box? De Gea is so weak at that aspect. Never looks assured.

Onana is great at this from what I've seen.
I've been saying for years that Kasper Schmeichel was the man and most people assumed I was taking the p....
Then he went on to win the league with Leicester FFS. This season again, Leicester have the joint best defence, and that's despite us taking their best defender (apparently) from them.

Basically he's doing a better job on his own of trying to stop City and Liverpool than our whole bloody club is.

Sign em up Ole.

Paul_Scholes18

I'm being laughed at for saying something similar, P4P he is the worse, in my opinion.

Foster made a good save on Rashford today with his legs, I bet if that was De Gea, people would be calling it world class.
Roberto when he played was worse though, but he got dropped and the other keeper is doing well.
Although Fabianski is a good keeper when he plays normally for them.
McCarthy is not that great either. Although I don't watch them that much.

Dante

Average bang
I think he's coming to the end of the road at United.

That's not to say he's finished as a footballer. His physical abilities still seems to be there. The issue is his mental acuity.

De Gea's been at Old Trafford for a long time now. I think he's got a bit too comfortable and a bit too complacent. For his sake and ours, a change of scenery might be in order.

Obviously, I'd love it if he found his mojo again at United. But having watched thousands of footballers over all these years, I think his best chance to rediscover his sharpness will be at a different club. The fire seems to have gone out for him over here. It's not the first time this has happened, and it definitely won't be the last.

And before anybody says anything, this isn't a kneejerk reaction. His decline has been a long time coming. Fixing it won't be easy. Neither party can afford to wait it out for another season or two.

DoomSlayer

Roberto when he played was worse though, but he got dropped and the other keeper is doing well.
Although Fabianski is a good keeper when he plays normally for them.
McCarthy is not that great either. Although I don't watch them that much.
My point is that when considering status and wages, De Gea has been unbelievably bad. Just check the official stats in the PL website, his ability to deal with crosses and aerial balls in general is atrocious. Not vocal enough, doesn't organise the defence and his distribution is average at best. He even lost his armband to a newcomer.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Spot on, brace yourself for that happening the next time he makes even a half decent save, this is part of the problem.
It's been the same cycle for years now.

I said about a year ago that he was now making more blunders than Karius was at Liverpool, I wasn't even joking.

Difference was Liverpool had the sense to address the problem and try another keeper (just as Spain have with De Gea himself).

Our response = pay the error prone player more money and hope that transforms his abilities.

We deserve the mediocrity we're getting right now when we do things like that.

evil_geko

It was seriously a disgrace reading those vile comments towards De Gea in matchday today, I will just leave this here and I am out of this thread, can't read the bollocks.

DoomSlayer

It was seriously a disgrace reading those vile comments towards De Gea in matchday today, I will just leave this here and I am out of this thread, can't read the bollocks.

Casillas peaked early as well though, but he was a true leader, captain, always vocal and always in the ears of defenders, trying to organise the shape and make them stay focused. There can be no comparison made between the 2 goalkeepers.

Josep Dowling

Seriously?

I have went out of my way to point out that I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong on this but I'm still waiting.

We are currently seeing our keeper make the same mistakes over and over again and the only attempt to change the situation was to throw more money at him.
I think we all as fans should be questioning the logic on this rather than, for whatever reason, turning a blind eye to it.
Nobody is suggesting for a second that this is our only problem, the lack of creativity for example, is arguably a much bigger problem but this is still a problem.
We can spend all the money we want on more creativity but we're still not going to compete at the elite level we should if we have a goalkeeper who is constantly costing us goals with individual errors.

Ive just watched four sky TV pundits discuss the problems at Utd for 20 minutes there and De Gea's name didn't come up once, even as they're sitting watching him fumble the ball into the net.
In fact, Pogba seemed to be getting more of the blame than De Gea for today from them for some bizarre reason.
Yet apparently I'm the one who has an agenda.

The only agenda I'm on is wanting the best for this club because I love it, if you can't see that then you're part of the problem.
I said in the match day thread.

He doesn’t command his box at crosses. He stays on his line far too much putting pressure on the defence if they don’t win the header.

His distribution is pretty rubbish. He must boot the ball out for a throw in at least 3 times every game. Romero has set up quite a few goals because of his quick distribution. De Gea decided to hold on to the ball allowing the opposition to get back into shape.

His penalty saving record for a world class keeper is terrible. I couldn’t tell you the last time he saved one, maybe the FA cup semi final against Lukaku? I think I’ve seen him save 3 penalties for us, he’s been here 10 years.

And now a lot of individual mistakes have started to creep into his game. And these aren’t minor mistakes. I wouldn’t expect a pub league goalie to do what he did today. His hands were no where near the ball.

He’s the least of our problems at the moment but if he continues to make mistakes like that a decision has to be made. I said last season he made sure the club had to give him a stupid contract and held us to ransom. It shouldn’t have been allowed to happen. And now once again we have an underperforming player on a mega contract

I would seriously consider getting back Henderson before the end of the season. Mental we have a loanee goalkeeper in the same league with a much better defensive record than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.