Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'd say he's really mentally weak to the point I now believe he shouldn't be untouchable. We've got a fantastic English prospect on our books and if De Gea keeps this form up I think we should offer the lad to Madrid and run with our prospect.

So many mistakes now it's getting hard to defend him anymore.
Why would they want De Gea, he’s useless

Fitchett

I've been a massive fan of De Gea, but it's time to drop him now in favour of Clean sheets Romero

Nickelodeon

Shameful error. Still he’s way into the positive for us. I’ll back him till the very end.

Paul_Scholes18

I'd say he's really mentally weak to the point I now believe he shouldn't be untouchable. We've got a fantastic English prospect on our books and if De Gea keeps this form up I think we should offer the lad to Madrid and run with our prospect.

So many mistakes now it's getting hard to defend him anymore.
All other big sides got better keepers than us. We are stuck with him unless China wants him.

LJJT

Think the warning signs where around prior to contract renewal. He’s been fantastic for us but he’s on the decline and these errors that he had when he joined us have all resurfaced. We’ve signed him up now and we are stuck with him. Let’s hope he can get the focus back and improve his game. He’s played a big part in us dropping points in the last 2 games

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been calling it for so long. Isn’t good enough. That contract will hurt us:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The problem he’ll have now is the opposition will target him.
If he starts vs Newcastle it’s nailed on that they’ll pump balls into the box until he fumbles.

DoomSlayer

Contender for the worst GK in the PL right now. Cost us dearly last season and has continued with the same awful performances in this one.

El Zoido

His best years are behind him and he's in terminal decline. His reaction saves were his best attribute and he's rarely even pulling those off any more.

We overlooked his poor command of his box and his poor aerial ability because we had defenders that would cover for it, and those wonder saves pulled us out of the shit so many times. But he's looked to be a massive liability for a year now. Goalkeeper position is so important, even Fergie's teams struggled when we had a dodgy keeper between the sticks. Bosnich, Taibi, and even Barthez.. games are on a knife-edge, and one goalkeeping mistake can cost you a result. I know everyone hates Ole and blames him for literally everything, but let's be honest, had De Gea saved that shot today we probably wouldn't have lost. Had he been stronger in the air against Everton (despite it being a foul), we may well have won the game. These are the things that decide games.

Kostov

That was dreadful from DDG, it's like he has sunk in the general shit that has been happening in front of him in the last 6 years. He used to stand out, now he is part of it.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He reminds me of Reina at the end of his Liverpool career. Some of the mistakes he has made over the past two years have been Sunday league stuff.

De Gea is way below the level of Ederson and Alisson now. Henderson has to be close to coming in to replace him next season?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think Romero is overrated on the Caf but he deserves a chance at this point. Need to send a message to the squad that nobody is undroppable.

Milo2035

People refuse to realize that he was loyal to us because we pay massive wages and no other clubs would take an overrated GK who can't pass the ball.

Romero deserves a chance at this point.

Problem with reaction reliant keepers like DDG is when the reactions go there is little else, and you get the feeling it's not long until that happens to him. Happened to Casillas too.

izec

I think Romero is overrated on the Caf but he deserves a chance at this point. Need to send a message to the squad that nobody is undroppable.
He is, but for a game every now and then, he is good. He isnt someone for 50 games a season, but we got some young GKs coming in nicely

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Posted this in the Colchester post- match thread where I got a warning for suggesting that a De Gea injury may well be a blessing in disguise for United and do him some good with time to reflect.

I’ve been quite outspoken on De Gea for year now on here and where I sit at the ground. I just cannot see any justification for the contract we paying him:
  • Romero was the superior keeper in Mou’s first season, 16-17 and fully deserved his start in the Europa League final;
  • De Gea was exceptional in 17-18 unquestionably:
  • In 18-19, De Gea was quite poor on the whole with a few notable performances aside and Romero not getting a look in
  • and again in 19-20 Romero is the far more dependable keeper.
People bang on about Romero playing weaker opposition on the whole, but De Gea just leaks goals against crap opposition. He was shocking today. After being at fault on corners against both City and Everton, costing two goals, two clean sheets and two points, he gets away with one in the first half, when Cathcart is harshly penalised against him and really the goal should have stood. VAR was never overturning that. Second half he throws one into the goal and dives out of the way of Deeney’s inevitable thunderbastard.

We are repeating the same mistake again with Rooney and Sanchez where we give a peaked player a massive contract and give ourselves financial problems, as well as burdening ourselves to play a player with little to offer. Ole’s got a real decision to make now, not just in the summer, as De Gea no longer justifies a place in the team, and performances like this will cost him his job.
Bare in mind, these are just the errors that lead to goals, you can times that by 5 if you include the errors that, through pure luck, he gets away with.
This has been happening for years, he's the most overrated player I've ever witnessed in all my years of watching football.

On the 'Romero playing against weaker opponents' point.
Yes, it's a fair point that I agree with, but I also think it's negated by the fact that in those game he is also playing IN a 'weakened' side.
He never actually gets the chance to play alongside our first choice defenders.

Also, I don't think those of us that are calling for Romero to be given a chance are saying he's the greatest keeper in the world, we're just pointing out that it might be time to try any other keeper as it cant get much worse at this point.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Also, I don't think those of us that are calling for Romero to be given a chance are saying he's the greatest keeper in the world, we're just pointing out that it might be time to try any other keeper as it cant get much worse at this point.
I think he’s unfairly maligned as he was a sub elsewhere too, when all the evidence at United and at international level suggests he is a very good keeper.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
People refuse to realize that he was loyal to us because we pay massive wages and no other clubs would take an overrated GK who can't pass the ball.
Exactly, 100% agree.

PSG, Real and Bayern were all ready to pounce if we didn't bend over and hand over that ludicrous contract in some fans heads.

Embarrassing.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

I think he’s unfairly maligned as he was a sub elsewhere too, when all the evidence at United and at international level suggests he is a very good keeper.

We also had an Henderson as an option too anyway in the summer, as I said at the time, it has to be up there with the most embarrassing contracts ever handed out in world football (only matched by some of our other deals of course).

DoomSlayer

fecking hell fire :lol:
Nothing funny about that but whatever. He is oldest player on the first 11 and should be a proper leader by now, but in reality he has become a huge liability and weak spot since the World cup. Not acceptable.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Here’s the thing with De Gea. His strength is shot stopping. In fact there’s no one in the world that is as good as him at shot stopping.

but he rarely has to actually shot stop for United now. So his only real strength is completely nullified.

We are left with his glaring weaknesses. He has no control of his box. He has no presence in a corner or free kick. He is useless at saving a penalty (insanely below average amongst keepers). He is useless at distribution. He also loves a feck up. Someone that is mentally prone to a feck up has it worse when events to respond to in a game are minimal. Your feck ups are amplified.

We are much much better off having a keeper that is average/above-average at shot stopping with a powerful presence in the box with great distribution. We don’t need DDGs freakish talent at reflexes/shot stopping. A keeper with better command would decrease those opportunities anyway. He’d also cut out any bs goals from free kicks or corners.

Anyone remember when DDG first came into our team? People wouldn’t stop talking about how horrible he is at commanding the box in set pieces. Guess what? He’s never grown out of it.

Sell for a premium please. Some clubs are still mesmerized by his shot stopping.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Here’s the thing with De Gea. His strength is shot stopping. In fact there’s no one in the world that is as good as him at shot stopping.

but he rarely has to actually shot stop for United now. So his only real strength is completely nullified.

We are left with his glaring weaknesses. He has no control of his box. He has no presence in a corner or free kick. He is useless at saving a penalty (insanely below average amongst keepers). He is useless at distribution. He also loves a feck up. Someone that is mentally prone to a feck up has it worse when events to respond to in a game are minimal. Your feck ups are amplified.

We are much much better off having a keeper that is average/above-average at shot stopping with a powerful presence in the box with great distribution. We don’t need DDGs freakish talent at reflexes/shot stopping. A keeper with better command would decrease those opportunities anyway. He’d also cut out any bs goals from free kicks or corners.

Anyone remember when DDG first came into our team? People wouldn’t stop talking about how horrible he is at commanding the box in set pieces. Guess what? He’s never grown out of it.

Sell for a premium please. Some clubs are still mesmerized by his shot stopping.
Hard to disagree with this. His lack of command over the box really doesn't suit us right now.

We can't get rid though because he's on huge wages (plus, there's always the belief we won't always be this shit).

izec

I dont think that is on the cards. Not many clubs will be in for him, never mind for a huge fee when his wages are so high. Highest paid GK in the world. We fecked up resolving the De Gea situation years ago and caved in at a weak point.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hard to disagree with this. His lack of command over the box really doesn't suit us right now.

We can't get rid though because he's on huge wages (plus, there's always the belief we won't always be this shit).
We’ve seen the length at which Ed goes to shave off weekly wages from the books. If they wanted him gone they’d find a way. Unlike Sanchez he does actually have some value.

In regards to we won’t always be this shit is in what context? This season he has made the least amount of saves per game than in the past 3 seasons. Maguire/AWB/Victor have shut the tap in front of him. Our defence literally cannot get any better unless they have a commanding voice behind them organizing them further.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Nothing funny about that but whatever. He is oldest player on the first 11 and should be a proper leader by now, but in reality he has become a huge liability and weak spot since the World cup. Not acceptable.
he’s made 2 mistakes in 2 weeks. 1 he should’ve got a reprieve as it was a foul, but granted, he still made a mistake. Prior to that, he’s had a decent season.

To claim he’s the worst keeper in the premier league is funny. It’s ridiculous and it’s a massive overreaction.

always_hoping

DeGea has never recovered from his poor form last season under Mourinho. The nonsense behind the scenes with his contract played a part but I think the time has come for him to sit out a few games to sort his head out and come back refreshed and more focused. In Romero United have a more than decent back up keeper to bring in.

Paul_Scholes18

Why is he so bloody bad a saving pens. Feels like he is just always running the wrong way.
It is less important in a league, but it did cost Spain in the world cup.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Have said a few times on here previously that Dave is unfortunately a key part of the problem. Has no control of his area and doesn’t communicate with the defence. Wasn’t a problem when he was infallible at shot stopping as he could always make up for it but now that’s dropped off, whether temporary or permanent, his net influence on the team is in the negative. We should bring back Henderson (bizarrely would weaken a near rival too so win win). Problem is the giant salary which means we’re basically stuck with him and would struggle to justify him sitting on the bench. Sanchezesque deal incoming end of this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.