David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2020-21 Performances


View full 2020-21 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
34
Clean sheets
12
Goals
0
Assists
0
Yellow cards
0

No Spring Chicken

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
116
But say Goalkeeper A is expected to concede 20 and concedes 10, giving him a score of +10. Meanwhile Goalkeeper B is expected to concede 10 and concedes 4, giving him a score of +6.

On face value Goalkeeper A has outperformed Goalkeeper B by +4. But in reality Goalkeeper B has prevented 60% of the xG he faced compared to Goalkeeper A's 50%, so is in fact performing better relative to the goal threat he's facing.

So what am I missing in terms of how the stats adjust for the differing levels of opportunity to prevent goals?

Edit: just to be clear I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what's throwing me.
A lower xGA means goalkeeper B had the easier job. Saving 60% of easy shots isn’t as good as saving 50% of difficult shots.
 

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
18,853
Not going to 'blame' De Gea.

We didnt kick on at any point in the game and despite all the play, they had the best chance in the first half which he saved. The second goal, Maguire as captain needs more composure. We've let in dumb goals at home; esp this season and that trend continues ...but just kick it out of play. Let the team clear its head if you want but don't play a really dumb ball back to the goalkeeper ....who at best could only kick it in to touch. The idea is to get the ball away from danger not risk anything but Maguire did with the pass back. Should have looked to just be a man...and clear it himself.
 

RedDevil@84

Full Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
14,198
Exactly. He had Maguire, Tuanzebe and a Sheffield player in front of him when he received the ball. His first thought was probably to not smash it into them and have it ricochet into the goal, so he side-footed it. Perhaps more power would've been appropriate, but the idea was sound.

This was my initial reaction too. Found it weird that people blamed him for the goal. But then caf has been giving him hate for over a year now. So was not expecting much
 

Djemba-Djemba

Full Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
16,486
Location
Manchester
This was my initial reaction too. Found it weird that people blamed him for the goal. But then caf has been giving him hate for over a year now. So was not expecting much
Well to be fair he's been shite for a couple of years now so it's only fair he get criticised. Stop with this hate and haters nonsense.

18/19 and 19/20 seasons were littered with appalling mistakes regularly. This season he's cut out the dreadful errors but he's now just mediocre.
 

Caesar2290

Full Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2019
Messages
281
Blows my mind how most of our fans lay into Lindelof, Maguire, AWB and Rashford the moment they have a below average game, yet De Gea is somehow immune from this. Every time people come up with an excuse that he'll come good. And to be honest I don't understand how or why?

He's not an academy lad. He tried to leave us on numerous occasions and almost succeding. He literally broke our wage structure, and now we are stuck with a mediocre player on Sanchez type wages that nobody is going to touch with a 50 foot pole.

And to be honest, I don't understand why? Yes, he was good... once. Not anymore though. But wasn't our club famous once for letting go of players who are already past it or am I imagining it?
 

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
6,150
Blows my mind how most of our fans lay into Lindelof, Maguire, AWB and Rashford the moment they have a below average game, yet De Gea is somehow immune from this. Every time people come up with an excuse that he'll come good. And to be honest I don't understand how or why?

He's not an academy lad. He tried to leave us on numerous occasions and almost succeding. He literally broke our wage structure, and now we are stuck with a mediocre player on Sanchez type wages that nobody is going to touch with a 50 foot pole.

And to be honest, I don't understand why? Yes, he was good... once. Not anymore though. But wasn't our club famous once for letting go of players who are already past it or am I imagining it?
Huh?

Scroll back a few pages, there's plenty of people criticizing him on here - myself included. And he's nearly always been criticized for his ability on the ball and his reluctance to come out on corners. Even when he was performing at a high level he was criticized for those two things in particular.
So he's certainly not immune from it, to be fair.
 

Siezard

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Dec 9, 2020
Messages
164
A lower xGA means goalkeeper B had the easier job. Saving 60% of easy shots isn’t as good as saving 50% of difficult shots.
xGA (Expected goal against, usually per match) is not the same as xG (expected goal, usually per shot) though.

An xG of 0.8 means 80% chance of scoring and 20% chance of saving.

If there are two shots at 80% chance of scoring (xg 0.8 and xg 0.8),
the xGA could be as high as 1.6 (exact calculation not known)

Low xGA does not mean easy shots. It just means lower goals likely to be scored (could be due to lower shots on target etc).

Low xG usually mean the shots are easier to save.
 

No Spring Chicken

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
116
xGA (Expected goal against, usually per match) is not the same as xG (expected goal, usually per shot) though.

An xG of 0.8 means 80% chance of scoring and 20% chance of saving.

If there are two shots at 80% chance of scoring (xg 0.8 and xg 0.8),
the xGA could be as high as 1.6 (exact calculation not known)

Low xGA does not mean easy shots. It just means lower goals likely to be scored (could be due to lower shots on target etc).

Low xG usually mean the shots are easier to save.
"Easy shots" was just a turn of phrase to explain the point being discussed. I appreciate it wasn't actual easier shots and could just as easily represent the same difficulty shots, but fewer of them.

As for xG vs xGA, in the case of fbref the only difference between those two is whether that's for or against a team. Whether that's per shot, per 90 or an absolute value depends on the particular stat being discussed. Often all three of those are provided. Different firms may treat that stat differently for all I know.
 

RedDevil@84

Full Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
14,198
Well to be fair he's been shite for a couple of years now so it's only fair he get criticised. Stop with this hate and haters nonsense.

18/19 and 19/20 seasons were littered with appalling mistakes regularly. This season he's cut out the dreadful errors but he's now just mediocre.
I agree that De Gea has dropped down from the usual levels. But I am not so sure he has turned to s**t. Besides, unless we are investing in a big name new keeper who is miles ahead. Our current replacement is Henderson who looks worse than De Gea every time he has played
 

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
6,150
MOTM for me today. Made some great saves. One of the few players that can do his job right.
Huh?

What did he do today to warrant MOTM?

The only save I can remember him really making was the shot by Smith Rowe. And it was a very, very routine save at his near post. The other two big chances they had were blocked by our defenders and the one where they hit the crossbar.
 

Sylar

Full Member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
27,822
We did well to restrict how much he had to do.

Arsenal missed a trick on corners by not crowding him (think they did this once)
 
Man Utd 9:0 Southampton

Alemar

Full Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Messages
4,212
Yet another clean sheet. Not much to do, but saved the free kick, was good at distribution, and it’s not his fault that Che Adams was 1 millimetre offside
 

arnie_ni

Full Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2014
Messages
6,950
Hey @Foxbatt

JWP would have had an easy goal if de gea took up your recommended positioning for the fk
 

BenitoSTARR

Gaspar
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Messages
4,024
He swept he dealt with crosses and saved a FK that many would have conceded from moving too far right.

Solid
 

No Spring Chicken

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
116
He swept he dealt with crosses and saved a FK that many would have conceded from moving too far right.

Solid
Ward-Prowse had two shots in that game including the free kick, for a combined xG of 0.1. It would be a bit strong to suggest it was anything other than a routine save.

On the plus side I thought he dealt with that early corner from Ward Prowse pretty well. He was being fouled (and it was given) but he still cleared the ball from under his bar quite cleanly.
 

#07

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
19,092
Am I the ar$e for thinking he's very fortunate VAR ruled out Southampton's goal? Getting beat from that angle didn't impress me at all. I'm not a De Gea hater. I've been a De Gea cheerleader for a long time actually. However, letting that shot in was a reminder that this De Gea is still levels below the De Gea of three or four years ago.
 

Sylar

Full Member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
27,822
On the plus side I thought he dealt with that early corner from Ward Prowse pretty well. He was being fouled (and it was given) but he still cleared the ball from under his bar quite cleanly.
Yeah a big positive and hopefully not a one off
 

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
5,560
Location
Nnc
He isn't getting the credit he deserves for JWP Freekick. Granted, it was straight at him but it had lot of power and is coming from such a short distance. Also, majority of the keepers would expect the ball in the other corner.
 

RedDevil@84

Full Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
14,198
Am I the ar$e for thinking he's very fortunate VAR ruled out Southampton's goal? Getting beat from that angle didn't impress me at all. I'm not a De Gea hater. I've been a De Gea cheerleader for a long time actually. However, letting that shot in was a reminder that this De Gea is still levels below the De Gea of three or four years ago.
Yes, almost.
It was a great finish from that tight angle. Many keepers would not be able to stop it in time. The defense should never have allowed the player to shoot from that angle.
 

RedDevil@84

Full Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
14,198
He isn't getting the credit he deserves for JWP Freekick. Granted, it was straight at him but it had lot of power and is coming from such a short distance. Also, majority of the keepers would expect the ball in the other corner.
It was a superb stop. That ball had some power on it.
 

Alemar

Full Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Messages
4,212
Am I the ar$e for thinking he's very fortunate VAR ruled out Southampton's goal? Getting beat from that angle didn't impress me at all. I'm not a De Gea hater. I've been a De Gea cheerleader for a long time actually. However, letting that shot in was a reminder that this De Gea is still levels below the De Gea of three or four years ago.
No. The goal didn’t happen so it’s not relevant. Next time de Gea will save it, and this time it didn’t count - so it’s a clean sheet
 

Shimo

Full Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2009
Messages
7,622
Said this in post match but, I do like that he was furious with the defending for the set piece and losing the clean sheet at the time. We to be a lot more switched on and ensuring we are keeping a lot more clean sheets through rest of season.

Am I the ar$e for thinking he's very fortunate VAR ruled out Southampton's goal? Getting beat from that angle didn't impress me at all. I'm not a De Gea hater. I've been a De Gea cheerleader for a long time actually. However, letting that shot in was a reminder that this De Gea is still levels below the De Gea of three or four years ago.
Think you might a bit harsh. It's not a matter of him being levels below. I rewatched it after because someone made a comment in the post match thread. It was an excellent finish. DDG had the near post covered as he should have and it was hit hard enough for him not to get his leg out fast enough for the shot across and it was right into the post.
 

lex talionis

Full Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2017
Messages
3,283
Quietly having a very good season. Not a season filled with epic saves, but he’s getting the job done.
 

Red_toad

Full Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
8,860
Location
DownUnder
Quietly having a very good season. Not a season filled with epic saves, but he’s getting the job done.
Hes not having a good season by his standards in my opinion. He’s been very much good or crap, more good than crap, but still the flaws in his game are there for all to see and exploited. Been a long time since he looked impenetrable.
 

MadDogg

Full Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
12,426
Location
Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hes not having a good season by his standards in my opinion. He’s been very much good or crap, more good than crap, but still the flaws in his game are there for all to see and exploited. Been a long time since he looked impenetrable.
Pretty much. He's obviously been better than he was the last two seasons, but he's still not been anywhere near as good as he was before that. Overall it's been a decent season at best.
 

Riz

Full Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2014
Messages
4,052
Location
UK
Yeh I wouldn’t say he’s having a good season as good by his standards is relatively very high for the goalkeeping average.

He’s been better than the last 2 seasons for sure, if he’d continued that form he’d have lost the starting spot to Henderson by this stage so maybe the latter’s presence has helped light a fire under his arse somewhat.
 

Bebestation

Full Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2019
Messages
4,208
Hes not having a good season by his standards in my opinion. He’s been very much good or crap, more good than crap, but still the flaws in his game are there for all to see and exploited. Been a long time since he looked impenetrable.
Even in the last game what Southampton did to get back in the game is to man mark De Gea during a corner.

I feel like I cant complain about De Gea whilst we are challenging for the title because he does bring some benefits alongside all his weaknesses- however still as expensive as he is, he is an aspect that a manager may have to change in the third season or 4th to address a weakness that arguably effects all of the defensive line.

I'm not calling him Karius by any means, but the replacement for Allison for Liverpool helped that defence just as much as Van Dijk. You wonder if we could replace De Gea for the benefit of our defence as a whole - replace a goal keeper 85% good enough but 15 % fails doing the same thing.
 

Siezard

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Dec 9, 2020
Messages
164
De Gea is now the Top 4 keepers this season in terms of clean sheets made. And let's not forget De Gea is the only goalkeeper who has made Premier League Team of the season 5 times or more!
 

Alemar

Full Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2017
Messages
4,212
De Gea is now the Top 4 keepers this season in terms of clean sheets made.
He is good this season. Maybe not brilliant, but good, reliable and consistent - significantly better than the last season
 

Erics_Collar

Full Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
2,125
Location
Oireland
At least he didn't get hurt at the end. That could have hurt, had he done his job there. Silver lining tonight is that De Gea isn't hurt.