Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The spotlight will be on him, perhaps unfairly, but he failed to do his part when asked. I can forgive him for the miss cause he's a keeper, but I can't let 11 conceded penalties slide.

UncleBob

You don't think its bad for a keeper to let in 36 fecking penalties in a row?

To never even get close to any of them?
He got close to what, 2 or 3 today, had his fingers on them but not enough, it's margins. How many were in the top corner, 4?

Rulli and De Gea had penalties where they gambled on staying planted and hoping the ball comes close, and they had penalties where they gambled on the corner. Rulli's gamble coincided with De Gea coming up with the worst, after Shaw, attempt at a penalty and that was it.

For those that haven't seen penalties live, it's a decent idea to take a look at the time when the ball is hit, the time the ball hits the net, and consider the distance.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I wouldn't blame him. His inability to save pens is a clear weakness. I'd blame the Ole who chose to be ignorant or hopeful. Ddg time is up

Djemba-Djemba

He got close to what, 2 or 3 today, had his fingers on them but not enough, it's margins. How many were in the top corner, 4?

Rulli and De Gea had penalties where they gambled on staying planted and hoping the ball comes close, and they had penalties where they gambled on the corner. Rulli's gamble coincided with De Gea coming up with the worst, after Shaw, attempt at a penalty and that was it.

For those that haven't seen penalties live, it's a decent idea to take a look at the time when the ball is hit, the time the ball hits the net, and consider the distance.
I'm not having that he's faced 36 unsavable penalties in a row. It's madness to try and defend that. 36 fecking penalties in a row!

He is absolutely atrocious at saving penalties, he has to be the worst in the world.

A-man

Not to kick on a man lying bleeding on the floor,... but is it even possible to be farther away from the penalties than DDG was. If you add distance from DDG and the ball for every penalty, it must surely be a new World Record?

Superunknown

Surely though that finger should then also be pointed at our coaching?
I would agree with that. There are many elements of our coaching that need looking at anyway (our passing, movement, movement off the ball, creating chances), so this is just another one to add to the list.

Siezard

He needs to commit to the dives and makes more elaborated gestures to save the ball so the opponents will be flustered and balloon their shots.

A-man

We brought on both Telles and Mata for the pens. But why not sub a goalie who’s missed 25 straight pens?

Based Adnan

Isn't the rule of thumb that if you're unsure for a penalty just fecking smash it? Why'd he side foot it (and telegraph it completely)?

ExoduS

The guy is absolutely useless unfortunately. Absolutely useless. He wasn't even close to saving a penalty, yet alone actually saving it. All those lucky handball saves made him into a "legend", but goalkeeper that can't save penalties is a huge liability. Did we win a single penalty shootout with him on the goal?"

RuudTom83

Poor guy, he tried his best but that has to be the Everest of bad luck at the office.

Failing to save 11 was bad enough, but then making him take one and miss! what did he do to deserve that haha!

Just laugh it off Dave, it was ridiculous.

In Rainbows

I'm not going to blame him. He's always been terrible at pens and Ole knows this. It's on Ole for putting him in a position we all knew he would fail in.

Utter coward, I knew he'd miss the penalty. His body language was telegraphing it so much he might as well have told the opposition GK where he was going to put it before he kicked it.

That this guy is the best paid GK in world football really shows what a shambles the club has become.
He’s not expected to score penalties FFS.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not going to blame him. He's always been terrible at pens and Ole knows this. It's on Ole for putting him in a position we all knew he would fail in.
A position we all knew he would fail in? Mate he’s the highest paid keeper on the planet and we’re going to have a go at the manager for picking him. :lol: Ole got loads wrong tonight but goodness me.

Jibbs

Nah, I’d say DDG is a better keeper than Rashford is an attacking player...and by quite a distance. DDG is not to blame tonight.
He might be the greatest keeper ever but he is cooked at United. Needs to get rid.

Djemba-Djemba

You'd think once the 20th or 25th penalty in a row had gone past him he'd have gone away and tried to sort out this problem.

But nope, he's still as shite as ever at them.

In Rainbows

A position we all knew he would fail in? Mate he’s the highest paid keeper on the planet and we’re going to have a go at the manager for picking him. :lol: Ole got loads wrong tonight but goodness me.
Picking him for pens. Highest paid keeper matters not. You know what you're going to get with him in regards to penalties. Why on earth would you expect him to succeed? Based on what history?

DavidDeSchmikes

There were some good penalties from Villareal, but there was one where I felt Henderson would have saved it (think it was their 3rd)

Dec9003

Picking him for pens. Highest paid keeper matters not. You know what you're going to get with him in regards to penalties. Why on earth would you expect him to succeed? Based on what history?
If the highest paid goalkeeper at the club can’t save pens amongst his other deficiencies he shouldn’t be here next season. The idea that we have a goalkeeper on that much money yet it’s literally a criticism of the manager to pick him honestly blows my mind. I don’t blame him for missing his penalty, but 40 conceded in a row? Nah, get rid.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Said for a couple of years but he's finished. He can't handle the pressure, the World Cup broke him.

In Rainbows

If the highest paid goalkeeper at the club can’t save pens amongst his other deficiencies he shouldn’t be here next season. The idea that we have a goalkeeper on that much money yet it’s literally a criticism of the manager to pick him honestly blows my mind. I don’t blame him for missing his penalty, but 40 conceded in a row? Nah, get rid.
It's a criticism for the same reason you think we should rid him. I don't get your argument. Everybody on this forum knows he sucks at penalties. Anybody out there besides de Gea is a better option in a penalty shootout. It doesn't matter if this is 2014-15 de Gea. He's absolutely the worst option to go with in penalty shootouts.

The logic is quite easy to follow, backed up by 10 years worth of de Gea at this club. What more evidence does a manager need to not pick him for pens?

Paul_Scholes18

Ole made the worst managerial call I have ever seen to trust this guy on pens. With his record you would 100% sub him. Also why did he even start?

I feel it shows one of two things. Either Ole did not have the balls to drop De Gea or he was an idiot not knowing about De gea being poor on pens.

It would be similar to letting Phil Jones take corners/pens etc that LVG did. Just something that 99% of fans would known and avoided.

Dec9003

It's a criticism for the same reason you think we should rid him. I don't get your argument. Everybody on this forum knows he sucks at penalties. Anybody out there besides de Gea is a better option in a penalty shootout. It doesn't matter if this is 2014-15 de Gea. He's absolutely the worst option to go with in penalty shootouts.

The logic is quite easy to follow, backed up by 10 years worth of de Gea at this club. What more evidence does a manager need to not pick him for pens?
It’s saying you don’t even blame him though. Yeah, Ole shouldn’t pick him. But in my humble opinion the man who is paid the most in the world to be a goalkeeper should be expected to stop one in 40.
Do you think he should go?

Statue of Limitations

DDG has never ever been a great at saving PKs, we all know this.
If penalties were taken from the 6 yard line, I actually think he would be one of the best around.

As for him missing the penalty, no grief on that front (as god awful as the kick itself was) when it comes down to the keepers, usually 1 would miss.

Djemba-Djemba

He's not good enough in general anymore. His all round game isn't good enough.

The fact he's the worst penalty saving keeper in the world is just the cherry on top

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

So if he can't do pens, he shouldnt be the highest paid keeper in the world. Try to get rid.

Kopral Jono

He probably should have saved Villareal’s goal, too. I’m afraid he’s cooked, at least for us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not his fault, but cemented why he shouldn't be here next season for me. Might be being harsh, but thought he was quite poor for the goal too.

Chicharo

I disagree with the people who say his heart ain't here. Even at his prime, when he was arguably the best goalie in the World (definitely Top 3), how many penalties did he save? I have watched every single game ever since he came (and before as most of you) and i cannot remember three penalties he saved - come to my mind is the one against Arsenal. Romero would of saved at least 2 tonight
Villarreal had never won anything before this. This was never supposed to even come down to extra time, let lone penalties. We simply gifted the trophy

Born2Lose

He's bad at penalties because he's a coward, he doesn't commit and opposition players know they literally only have to get it on target to beat him. Villareal could have taken 50 penalties and he wouldn't have saved one.

If you ever thought this guy was the best GK in the world then congratulations, you know as much about football as Ed Woodward.

In Rainbows

It’s saying you don’t even blame him though. Yeah, Ole shouldn’t pick him. But in my humble opinion the man who is paid the most in the world to be a goalkeeper should be expected to stop one in 40.
Do you think he should go?
If Ole put in Shoretire and kept Greenwood on the bench, and Shoretire was awful, I wouldn't be angry at Shoretire for being awful. He clearly should not be in the situation as he's not ready. Although not as exaggerated as that hypothetical the same logic is applied here. de Gea is our worst keeper in regards to pens. Anybody, but him would be better. To not go with anybody else means you've chosen to ignore his 10 years worth of penalty records. He sucks at pens and should therefore not be allowed to fail, for the good of the club.

It doesn't matter if I think he should go or not. Because he's paid the most money he's going to be incredibly difficult to offload. I'm not happy with any of our 2 keepers in the sense that I'm confident with them. But they're going to be here and we'll most likely upgrade in 2-3 years if possible. This penalty situation has nothing to do with my opinion on whether I'm happy with de Gea or not. He was deservedly dropped for Henderson, and deservedly got the start after Henderson's recent struggles. Still makes way more sense to sub in Henderson for pens.

Aouer-United

He fecking can't even deal with pressure when we need him the most, he just cost us many time. His time should be up and leave.

Scottynaldinho

Looked drunk before that penalty and didn't know what he was doing throughout the shootout. It was all so random from him.

You have to feel for the guy though. Didn't win a thing in his prime for us and no half decent club would take him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.