Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Christ, some of the posts on here are pathetic. De Gea is poor on penalties yes, but some of you saying “worst in the world” etc are ridiculous. De Gea is a top keeper. How often do keepers face penalties compared to all other minutes in the pitch? Henderson has made some poor mistakes recently yet people still back him.

I always find it funny how fans cry about loyalty when a player is in great form. Remember De Gea to Madrid? Fans spouting about how De Gea should be loyal to united. Fans always back him etc. Now he’s hit a poor patch and loyalty the other way goes out the window. It’s one thing thinking Henderson may be better and De Gea should move on. It’s another to call him useless, worst in the world, pathetic and so on.
He is an excellent goalkeeper and has been a great servant to the club. However when you are the highest paid goalkeeper in the world you're going to come under extra scrutiny.

DDG has conceded 36 penalties in a row, we can't hide from that; the record is poor. The thing is though he wasn't always poor at penalties. Before Euro 2016 he had saved 11 and conceded 28 so that was actually a very good record.

It seems to be though that every time David goes away for an international tournament he comes back an even worse player. He had a shocking Euro 2016 and an even worse WC 2018. Let's hope he doesn't play at the Euros.

As for poor patch. A few months is a poor patch, not years. It was a series of howlers in 18/19 from DDG that ended up costing us a champions League spot and to be honest ever since he's not been great.

Don't get me wrong he still does a decent job. But for the amount we pay him we should have a world class goalkeeper, not one who would struggle to be in the top 5 in the PL. That's not David's fault though, that's Ed and co for rewarding him with a new 5 year contract.

RonaldoVII

We’ve just lost a final, every thread is busy. De Gea is partly to blame for us losing. Trying to take that blame away from him isn’t fair, he played poorly and deserves criticism. I’m a big fan of Rashford, but I won’t go into his very busy thread and defend him, he was poor.
There's more people deserving of blame for this than De Gea is all I'm saying. 120 terrible minutes before the shootout.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was weak on the pens, and he should've wellied the one he took, but hard to be too critical about that.

RORY65

It's a real shame that a guy who was basically the only good thing about our team for several years had a big night like tonight end in that way when the reality is if we'd performed he wouldn't have been needed to produce in the shootout when we all know he's really poor on penalties. I hope that a way can be found for him to leave amicably because I don't think it does his reputation as a great United player any good for him to be on huge wages while on the bench and he's still too good and too young to not be playing regularly at a high level somewhere.

SAFMUTD

You either die a hero or live enough to become a villian, he's been here long enough and his performances have declined massively, nights like these just damage more and more his image at the club. If he had left in 2018 we'll all remember him as an all time great just below Schmeichel and Van der Saar with the bad luck of being in a loser squad. Right now no one would dare to mention him in the same sentence than the great ones.

el3mel

I still can't believe what happened.

11 penalties.

11 fecking penalties everyone! 11 fecking pens and not a single save.

How come?

Robbo*

I’m fuming. Loved the guy for so long but not sure what was going on tonight - could we have put Henderson on instead?

Eternitiy

Knocked us out of the Champions League with the worst goalkeeping ever seen against Justin Kluivert and Leipzig.

Knocked us out of the Europa league with some disgraceful half-hearted attempts at penalty saves. And to top it off, a telegraphed side-foot finish easily parried by Rulli to knock us out once and for all.

What a way to end your United career. I loved the guy when we signed him 10 years ago, and it was a pleasure watching him grow into an excellent keeper, but he's been appalling for nearly 3 years.

IT'S TIME TO GO!

Siezard

I’m fuming. Loved the guy for so long but not sure what was going on tonight - could we have put Henderson on instead?
Yeah you can.

Assuming they have the same ability, Henderson would still make a better choice for the PK as he has fresh legs n can move faster.

RaptorSlo

DDG has conceded 36 penalties in a row, we can't hide from that; the record is poor. The thing is though he wasn't always poor at penalties. Before Euro 2016 he had saved 11 and conceded 28 so that was actually a very good record.
And then he saved a pen against Palace, but the ref disallowed it.

Robbo*

Yeah you can.

Assuming they have the same ability, Henderson would still make a better choice for the PK as he has fresh legs n can move faster.
yeah. Strange that he didn’t. Ole seemed to lose his grasp of it again tonight.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What i dont understand are those who are so sentimental with him. Saying we should be loyal to him because he stuck by us thick and thin.

The same de gea who is only here because of a fax machine. The same de gea who would have loved to have joined Madrid. The same de gea who packed his bags and was ready to piss off.

And you know when that was? Hint: it was during the middle of our crisis and downfall from the skies. It was when we needed him the most that he was ready to go.

So how about we thank him for his time, understand the current position, and keep him sat firmly on the bench?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder what would have happened if he did go in 2015. He’d have a few CLs to his name, but I feel Real would’ve been less tolerant of his decline than we’ve been.

AshRK

I thank him for the service at this club. I will not abuse him. I felt sad for him. Wish he got a better sent off if it was his last game but apart from shot stopping he is a bang average keeper. There is a reason he is number 2 even for spain. I don't think he would have saved even one penalty. The fact that it took his own shit kick to get him off the misery was a petty.

Ole should have been bold and subbed him and let henderson on pen duties. Yes that might have failed as well but with de gea saving pens were out of question.

Like I said I thank him for his services but if we are smart we will sell him. He is no van der sar or schmeichel.

DiMaria

For the life of me de gea what are you doing before every penalty. You are the last person who can be intimidating. If anything you probably gave them more confidence. And he’s supposed to know some of those players from the spain camp too...What a sad way for someone who was a great keeper for us to end his time at the club. Also smiling right after you missed the deciding penalty with an opposition player is not a good look. Keano was right after all.

SAFMUTD

I wonder what would have happened if he did go in 2015. He’d have a few CLs to his name, but I feel Real would’ve been less tolerant of his decline than we’ve been.
You think? I mean they shipped out Casillas who was a world cup winner their captain and one of Spain's most important players in their history...we on the contrary gave De Gea a new contract which made him the best paid keeper in history.

Last edited:

Nicolarra90

I still can't believe what happened.

11 penalties.

11 fecking penalties everyone! 11 fecking pens and not a single save.

How come?
You can see 11 past you. Rulli saw 10.
But the thing is what are you doing to stop them.
The quality of all our penalties had to be at least 7-8/10 to be a goal.
They were kicking an empty net.
I've never seen a worst keeper on penalties in my life, considering keepers from top 20 clubs in the world.
He's just absurd.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Bruno would've gotten closer to saving a penalty than De Gea did. Rulli got close to several penalties before De Gea stepped up, but De Gea was never even close. Ole not swapping to Henderson was colossally stupid.

Red_toad

Romero is /was our best keeper on pens. Shame he’s been shat on and left to have a long vacation for the last year of his contract. Henderson couldn’t have done any worse and I’d have backed him to hammer his penalty home, over Dave’s weak effort.

Giggs86

I hope this puts to rest the debate between Schmeichel/VDS/De Gea. He might be a good shot stopper on his day, but he is nowhere near them and should never be compared to them ever again.

SAFMUTD

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm those 41 penalties in a row are some kind of record. Absurd considering 77% of penalties are converted, it's really something to not save a single one of them, even an statistic anomaly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The decline probably would not have been noticed because the players in front of him would have been so much better.
He played with those ''so much better'' in Spain though and that 2018 in Spanish National Team was the time when he started showed his decline.

meamth

11 perfect penalties, only one at the center. I mean, I've watched it all again...how the heck can you save one of those?

RuudtheRed

I know we lost a final and everyone of us is bitterly disappointed - but to sh*t on De Gea isn't right. Yes, he didn't save any penalties which would have won the game. But the thing is that the Villareal keeper didn't save any of the first 10 penalties either, which goes to show how well the penalty takers did. One could even say that Shaw was extremely lucky that his penalty went in. De Gea actually got his hand to a couple of the penalties and was a little unlucky that they still went in.

De Gea was virtually a spectator for the entire game. The loss is on the team - we were superior to Villareal for 90 minutes, and then we ceded the initiative to them and tiredly waited it out for penalties. It shouldn't have gotten to a point where we have to rely on our goalkeeper scoring a penalty. It may be a problem about our strength in depth as we had no one to bring on to refresh our attacking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.