Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithsingleton

DeGea in recent games has been going back to his old style of when he first arrived at OT. That last goal he pussied out of the challenge. Pretty sure if he'd of committed himself then he would of at least blocked it instead of backing off. If we did have a chance of winning the league, AND IT WAS A BIG IF i think DeGea blew it for us.

justsomebloke

This is a lot of words, almost all of which I think the majority of people who watch that piece of action will disagree with. He’s under no pressure, it’s a poor outside of the foot pass, not a hard shot, and it’s well within his reach, he’s not at full stretch. A keeper of any decent standing just deals with this.
he could punch at it for distance. He attempt to catch it outright. Most keepers in this situation given it’s not a crowded penalty area would have soft hands and take what little pace their was on the ball off of it and drop on it at the second attempt. What he actually did was criminal at any level. He patted it squarely into the most dangerous place he could of. Awful goalkeeping and any attempt at describing it as anything else just comes off as delusional to me. Just my opinion like.
You may profit from re-watching the clip. That is not a weak pass by any stretch, he is only barely able to get down to intercept it, and from what I can tell, he only gets one hand on it. No chance at all to box, hold or smother.

justsomebloke

Seconded. It was the worst thing he could do. The only way they score from that situation. He fecking assisted it. Nothing else would’ve caused a problem.
That's of course assuming you know there's no one coming in at the far post. Which he didn't.

Park's Petrified Pooch

You may profit from re-watching the clip. That is not a weak pass by any stretch, he is only barely able to get down to intercept it, and from what I can tell, he only gets one hand on it. No chance at all to box, hold or smother.
I’ve watched it multiple times to try and work out why he did what he did. I stand by my assessment of it. It’s so poor and indicative of the sort of thing he’s been doing regularly for a couple of seasons now. It’s the worst thing he could have done.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That's of course assuming you know there's no one coming in at the far post. Which he didn't.
No it’s a fact......whether he knew it or not....it was the only thing that leads to a goal. Anything else doesn’t. Unless he throws it in himself which wouldn’t surprise me these days.

Anyone claiming in that situation that the only thing our keeper could do was assist a goal is in denial. There was no danger when the ball meakly left DCL’s foot....till Dave got involved.

OldTrevil

I've said it before, but with DDG, Maguire and Lindelof back there, I'm never comfortable unless we're 3 goals clear of most teams. They're all passive and spread panic throughout the backline in the simplest of situations. We will remain perennial pretenders with that trio at the heart of our defence.

Bristol_Red_87

I feel like Ole has started to grow some balls now in terms of dropping players (Martial an example).

Time for him to further prove this with DDG.

I'm not saying Hendo is the long term answer, he most probably isn't. But my God, we simply cannot keep rewarding such mediocrity.

Hendo will undoubtedly cost us goals but I'll take that for the remainder of this season just to see a keeper coming off his line in, at the very least, an attempt to take pressure off a creaking defence.

No one can question DDG's contribution in his time at United. But he's quickly extinguishing any sort of legacy.

justsomebloke

2 goals almost entirely his fault. I was the biggest fan, but this year he has been AWFUL. Drop him. How many points does he need to cost us?
Not that it's going to change anything, but the ridiculous and hysterical hyperbole on this thread is laughable. Seriously, some people have decided he's shit, and just view individual events through those glasses and see what they've already put there.

Not even sure what you imagine is the second goal he's supposed to be culpable for. What, for not sprinting out and denying DCL on the third? Or is it the failure to catch Rodriguez' rocket on the second?

All three goals are more well played by Everton than poor play by us, but if you look at our side only the defence is squarely to blame for all three goals, and not just through individual errors. On the first, we're caught with a very high line, and Maguire simply isn't able to keep up with DCL. On the second it's Shaw fumbling around, and Bruno not picking up Rodriguez on the edge of the box. On the third it's putting the line that low, losing a key aerial duel and not marking closely. Once DCL is in that position it's a really good scoring chance, not something you can expect the keeper to stop.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is perfectly ok to criticize a player, but what some of the members of this forum said about a GK who was saving our ass for years is inexcusable.
And, yeah, let us give a chance to the best goalie in the Championship last year, like we were the ones who got promoted, who was also criticized when he got the chance to start. Especially with Maguire and Lindelof in front of him. That would be a laugh.
Let's face it. Ever since Rio and Vida retired we had horrible defense. No goalkeeper would stay the same after years of watching mediocre playershelping him to save his goal. And yes, he made some horrible mistakes in the past couple of years, but come on, do you really think he is the main guy to blame.
Let us give Grant a chance, everything will be hunky dory
Irrelevant point. And our defense has often been quite good post SAF whereas the attack has been a let down. Anyway, it doesn't matter. We have solve all our problems rather than use one problem (rest of defence) to absolve the other (DDGs mistakes).

Buffalo Bills

I find it ironic that many claim Henderson isn't the answer based solely on an error made against Sheffield United in which he took a bit too long on the ball trying to play from the back.

Yet somehow people feel more confident with de Gea who makes routine, fundamental goalkeeping errors on a weekly basis.

I'm vexed.
I agree, one mistake by Henderson seems to make him a no hoper whilst numerous mistakes by DDG are fine cos " he's our number one goalie".

Ole needs to be brave and give Henderson a run of premier league starts. He should actually have done so before with Romero

Pascal

I can't stomach that he would rather signal for offside with his hand and waste precious time, than lunge himself forward both times Calvert-Lewin was through on goal. Especially with VAR around, that's just silly

Lentwood

So in response to some posters yesterday, I have provided some statistics for 'expected goals against', which of course DOES attempt to take into account the quality of shot a goalkeeper faces.

Now the problem with this is that it doesn't factor into account goals that were caused by problems of the goalkeepers own making. For example, 99% of people believe De Gea was at fault for Everton's first goal yesterday. However, the 'expected save' metric for that shot would be very low...because the mistake was palming a tame cross straight to Doucoure. Doucoure's shot, which was an open goal from a yard out, would have had a very high xG percentage.

Likewise, it wouldn't factor in mistakes like De Gea's cowardice at corners/free-kicks leading to goals against or goals like Everton's 3rd yesterday, where he bottles a challenge, because again, once DCL actually gets on the end of that chance, his xG will be very high from that position.

Anyway....I've explained why it's flawed but people asked for it and it still looks horrible for De Gea

GOALKEEPERTEAMGAPSxGPSxG +/-
Nick PopeBurnley2429.46.4
Alphonse AreolaFulham2833.35.3
Emiliano MartínezAston Villa2428.34.3
Robert SánchezBrighton1114.14.1
Bernd LenoArsenal2222.63.6
Hugo LlorisTottenham2223.53.5
AlissonLiverpool1518.33.3
Kasper SchmeichelLeicester City2527.13.1
Illan MeslierLeeds United3738.12.1
Sam JohnstoneWest Brom5048.41.4
Caoimhin KelleherLiverpool12.21.2
EdersonManchester City1211.60.6
Dean HendersonManchester Utd33.40.4
Darren RandolphWest Ham00.40.4
Łukasz FabiańskiWest Ham2828.20.2
Rúnar Alex RúnarssonArsenal00.10.1
Kiko CasillaLeeds United110
Fraser ForsterSouthampton000
Vicente GuaitaCrystal Palace37370
Robin OlsenEverton65.8-0.2
David ButtonWest Brom21.7-0.3
Zack SteffenManchester City10.6-0.4
Marek RodákFulham32.5-0.5
Bailey Peacock-FarrellBurnley54.4-0.6
Edouard MendyChelsea1413.3-0.7
Kepa ArrizabalagaChelsea64.8-1.2
David de GeaManchester Utd2723.7-1.3
Willy CaballeroChelsea31.5-1.5
Karl DarlowNewcastle Utd3834.4-1.6

There we have it...a Manchester United goalkeeper on £350K a week mixing it with the likes of Bailey Peacock-Farrell, David Button, Robin Olsen, Kiko Casilla and Karl Darlow. De Gea is even below Kepa!

Yesterday I was accused of being arrogant by several posters...well, OK, I get angry and can be a bit patronising when I'm frustrated...but my feelings are that I can forgive any player a mistake. The problem is with De Gea is that he has been very poor since Jose's first season. Ever since then, visually and statistically he has been one of the worst GKs in the league.

Likewise, I can forgive handling errors. What I can't forgive, and I don't think any of us should forgive, is his cowardice. Most of us on this forum would give their right arms to play for Utd (and probably still be better GKs than DDG), yet this bloke is playing week-in, week-out and costs us goal after goal by being scared of the ball, opponents and his own shadow! Unforgivable for me.

Also, just one for the Henderson 'is not the answer' posters...I'd love to know how on earth you draw that conclusion? I'm not saying Henderson IS the answer....but last season he had the best save percentage and the best performance against xG in the Premier League. This season, he has only played 3.5 games in the PL and is performing like a proper keeper based on saves/expected saves...so how anybody has enough evidence to write him off is really baffling.

Name Changed

weso26
At this stage, Henderson needs a run. DDG makes far too many mistakes and he clearly doesn't instill any confidence whatsoever in the defenders. He never makes those saves that nobody else can anymore. A shadow of himself.

BFernandes

Didn't he do something similarly criminal against Leipzeg away, where he turned away and made himself as small as he possibly could?

Maybe Henderson isn't the answer long term, but at least he's not afraid of the contact in an attempt to prevent a goal. Even to an extent of injuring his own player (Bailly).

That mindset alone could save us points this season.

It'll never happen, even after this, but I don't want to see De Gea starting again. You have to ask at what point is enough, enough?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

£300k a week...

GazTheLegend

de Gea has been great for us in general but does anyone really feel confident when he's in goal at the minute? I don't. You need your keeper to make that 1-2 vital saves every game that's why they're there. He's not doing anything at the minute and he just looks so weak on every other aspect of goalkeeping. I love the guy but Dean Henderson is -better- statistically and DESERVES a run in the team at this point.

Solskjaers not an idiot and he's proven ruthlessness already. I'm pretty sure de Gea will be dropped next game.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cost us 2 goals and in fact the game

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So in response to some posters yesterday, I have provided some statistics for 'expected goals against', which of course DOES attempt to take into account the quality of shot a goalkeeper faces.

Now the problem with this is that it doesn't factor into account goals that were caused by problems of the goalkeepers own making. For example, 99% of people believe De Gea was at fault for Everton's first goal yesterday. However, the 'expected save' metric for that shot would be very low...because the mistake was palming a tame cross straight to Doucoure. Doucoure's shot, which was an open goal from a yard out, would have had a very high xG percentage.

Likewise, it wouldn't factor in mistakes like De Gea's cowardice at corners/free-kicks leading to goals against or goals like Everton's 3rd yesterday, where he bottles a challenge, because again, once DCL actually gets on the end of that chance, his xG will be very high from that position.

Anyway....I've explained why it's flawed but people asked for it and it still looks horrible for De Gea

There we have it...a Manchester United goalkeeper on £350K a week mixing it with the likes of Bailey Peacock-Farrell, David Button, Robin Olsen, Kiko Casilla and Karl Darlow. De Gea is even below Kepa!

Yesterday I was accused of being arrogant by several posters...well, OK, I get angry and can be a bit patronising when I'm frustrated...but my feelings are that I can forgive any player a mistake. The problem is with De Gea is that he has been very poor since Jose's first season. Ever since then, visually and statistically he has been one of the worst GKs in the league.

Likewise, I can forgive handling errors. What I can't forgive, and I don't think any of us should forgive, is his cowardice. Most of us on this forum would give their right arms to play for Utd (and probably still be better GKs than DDG), yet this bloke is playing week-in, week-out and costs us goal after goal by being scared of the ball, opponents and his own shadow! Unforgivable for me.

Also, just one for the Henderson 'is not the answer' posters...I'd love to know how on earth you draw that conclusion? I'm not saying Henderson IS the answer....but last season he had the best save percentage and the best performance against xG in the Premier League. This season, he has only played 3.5 games in the PL and is performing like a proper keeper based on saves/expected saves...so how anybody has enough evidence to write him off is really baffling.
To put it into numbers so that it's easier to read (all GKs who played 10+ games in EPL)- De Gea numbers:
  • 15th in terms of Post-Shot Expected Goals - Expected Goals. He is on the negative side (-1,3) meaning we'd do better with random keeper (shot stopping only!). It also means it'd require MASSIVE improvement from him to achieve levels from previous 4 seasons. And I mean form-of-his-life massive.
  • 20th in terms of % of crosses saved (out of 21).
  • 20th in terms of % of shots stopped (out of 21).
We are in the middle of the table (10th) in terms of xGA/90' (fbref shows this as vs Manchester United xG per 90').

Our defensive line is not good enough, but the keeper is our biggest issue.

justsomebloke

No it’s a fact......whether he knew it or not....it was the only thing that leads to a goal. Anything else doesn’t. Unless he throws it in himself which wouldn’t surprise me these days.

Anyone claiming in that situation that the only thing our keeper could do was assist a goal is in denial. There was no danger when the ball meakly left DCL’s foot....till Dave got involved.
What the feck does it matter if it's a fact if de Gea doesn't know it? He's got to make a decision based on what he knows. If he's not sure there's no one coming in on the far post, then he's got to assume there might be.

Lentwood

To put it into numbers so that it's easier to read (all GKs who played 10+ games in EPL)- De Gea numbers:
  • 15th in terms of Post-Shot Expected Goals - Expected Goals. He is on the negative side (-1,3) meaning we'd do better with random keeper (shot stopping only!). It also means it'd require MASSIVE improvement from him to achieve levels from previous 4 seasons. And I mean form-of-his-life massive.
  • 20th in terms of % of crosses saved (out of 21).
  • 20th in terms of % of shots stopped (out of 21).
We are in the middle of the table (10th) in terms of xGA/90' (fbref shows this as vs Manchester United xG per 90').

Our defensive line is not good enough, but the keeper is our biggest issue.
Am I also right in saying the expected goals post-shot wouldn’t pick up errors like the two yesterday?

The xG for Doucoure and DCL must have been high but De Gea should have done better to prevent both chances

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not sure if anyone else has an opinion on this, but I think it was in the 88th-89th minute or thereabouts? Think Everton attempted a cross and he catches it. Now, bear in mind we've been under pressure, they look dangerous when they come forward, there are a few minutes left so as a keeper you take the ball, fall to the floor, and waste as much time as you can while waving everyone up the field.

Nah, what does he do? Immediately launches the ball forward for a counter-attack with only Rashford up there, we lose the ball immediately and give possession back to Everton while most of their players are still in our half from the previous attack. Again, another awful mistake with poor decision making. I couldn't believe he did that.

big rons sovereign

Not that it's going to change anything, but the ridiculous and hysterical hyperbole on this thread is laughable. Seriously, some people have decided he's shit, and just view individual events through those glasses and see what they've already put there.

Not even sure what you imagine is the second goal he's supposed to be culpable for. What, for not sprinting out and denying DCL on the third? Or is it the failure to catch Rodriguez' rocket on the second?

All three goals are more well played by Everton than poor play by us, but if you look at our side only the defence is squarely to blame for all three goals, and not just through individual errors. On the first, we're caught with a very high line, and Maguire simply isn't able to keep up with DCL. On the second it's Shaw fumbling around, and Bruno not picking up Rodriguez on the edge of the box. On the third it's putting the line that low, losing a key aerial duel and not marking closely. Once DCL is in that position it's a really good scoring chance, not something you can expect the keeper to stop.
Ok, so it's everybody else's fault that he's a gutless little wuss and shirks from every challenge?
Maybe he's not so responsible for their second goal, but if he hadn't shit a bollock for the first, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.
The 3rd is just plain embarrassing, he did the same thing against Leipzig, turned his back, shut his eyes and stuck out a token foot. Any other keeper would be throwing himself at it, but not precious little Dave.
Give yer head a wobble fella.

JG3001

You’ve given all the evidence necessary. People who choose to argue or ignore this are just sycophants.

For a recent comparison, it’s the same as when Rooney was past it, there’s always a section of the fan base who feel it is our duty to remain loyal to them for past contribution. Play them no matter what and be grateful they won a big trophy for us years ago. You’re not a top red if you dare point out the obvious decline.

Said it plenty of times before on many threads here, sentimentality is what constantly holds this club back.

Coops73

Let’s see if Henderson gets the nod against West Ham and has a blinder, it may force Ole into making a decision.

bsCallout

He seems to cost us in big moments, makes decent saves when we are fine.

Fix the fax machine.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Am I also right in saying the expected goals post-shot wouldn’t pick up errors like the two yesterday?

The xG for Doucoure and DCL must have been high but De Gea should have done better to prevent both chances
Yes, you are correct. There is no good source for #of mistakes leading to a goal (at least I don't know any). Most sources (like official EPL site) will only count in mistakes like GK failed dribbling like Henderson did.

Regarding Doucoure goal, it is rated 0,61 on xG which is as high as it gets from open play. This graph shows that before DDG mistake and first Doucoure goal, Everton were as quite as ever:

UncleBob

Decision, just catch it innit.

I mean goalkeeping 101 says don’t do the exact fecking thing he did, ever.
I like how a forum user is referring to goalkeeping 101 while a former professional goalkeeper at the highest level explains why it's not a mistake.

Mint

Lentwood

Yes, you are correct. There is no good source for #of mistakes leading to a goal (at least I don't know any). Most sources (like official EPL site) will only count in mistakes like GK failed dribbling like Henderson did.

Regarding Doucoure goal, it is rated 0,61 on xG which is as high as it gets from open play. This graph shows that before DDG mistake and first Doucoure goal, Everton were as quite as ever:
And this is why I have consistently defended our CBs. I admit they are not a “world class” pairing, but I think its very unfair for people to keep hammering them when overall they kept what is essentially a very good attack down to one or two shots on target.

I have played CB to a reasonable non-league standard (not claiming I’m some amazing player because i’m not but i’ve played with some very good players who have played league football) and if I was being accused of being crap because i’ve conceded two shots on goal all game against a good side I would be going absolutely ballistic.

Make no mistake, the players will know De Gea is poor and they will be talking about it amongst themselves in training and on WhatsApp. They will have no confidence in him whatsoever and this will effect their decision making.

Like many have said, replacing De Gea won’t turn Lindelof and Maguire into Vidic and Ferdinand but it will definitely help them

Deery

Dreary
The first goal was disappointing as its something we’ve gotten used to with DeGea maybe he could have done better to get the ball safe and not palm it into an attackers path, but the second for me was shameful. He didn’t even come out to stop the shot from DCL just stopped about two yards off him totally cost us the game because he was too afraid to get hurt again!

Time to drop DeGea but it won’t happen because he’s on too much money, we’ll never win anything with him as players now know he’s weak from corners, doesn’t come off his line and is prone to mistakes.
He will only get targeted more and more after this just like Southampton and Sheffield did.

Classical Mechanic

No matter how you slice and dice the stats he’s now one of the worst keeper in the league overall. His shot-stopping has been better recently and he’s now elevated himself to being average overall this season when you look at PSxG. When it comes to sweeping he’s 18/20 in the league and when it comes to command of area collecting crosses he’s 18/20 in the league.

Given his profound weaknesses in all areas of goalkeeping except for shot-stopping he needs to be a world class shot-stopper to compensate. He hasn’t been for a long time now. That Spain prefer Kepa over him should alarm United fans that are still invested in DDG.

Henderson should be given a proper run of games to prove himself and if he fails then we should looking for a new keeper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.