Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Grimes

Not great for the first goal obviously but it was an awkward ball to deal with. However I was more disappointed with the second, reminded me of Salah's 3rd goal in Old Trafford where he wasn't brave enough.

The Purley King

Even the first goal though, I wouldn't call it a mistake.

He's always struggled to get down quickly around his feet. It's just a problem he has rather than a one off mistake. It's wht he makes so many saves with his feet. He can't get down quick enough.
I’m not questioning his shot stopping but any other keeper prevents the 2nd goal at source.
The fact nobody seems to give a shit about that is way more important than a “regular” feck up n the 1st goal

Milo2035

Becomes a clown in every big game. No club would take him though. Just bench him even though he's the highest paid player in England.

Marwood

I’m not questioning his shot stopping but any other keeper prevents the 2nd goal at source.
The fact nobody seems to give a shit about that is way more important than a “regular” feck up n the 1st goal
Completely with you. He's soft. That and struggling with shots around his feet have always been a problem. Great servant but has to be moved on.

The Purley King

Completely with you. He's soft. That and struggling with shots around his feet have always been a problem. Great servant but has to be moved on.
“Soft” is harsh but he’s never been able to get off his line properly. For through balls or for crosses/corners.
Eventually I’ve realised that even if he stops the occasional top corner worldie (that other keepers let in) I’d much rather he stopped the more mundane (and more numerous) problems that occur much more often .

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I try not to abuse our players but this guy is such a throbbing pussy he leaves me no choice. Soft first goal aside he fecking walked backwards as Zapata entered the box en route to their second. He was within a yard of the goal-line by the time he tried to “challenge”. Jesus Christ. I see braver 12 year olds playing in goals on the pitches of Dublin every weekend. Man up or feck off.

The Oracle

I try not to abuse our players but this guy is such a throbbing pussy he leaves me no choice. Soft first goal aside he fecking walked backwards as Zapata entered the box en route to their second. He was within a yard of the goal-line by the time he tried to “challenge”. Jesus Christ. I see braver 12 year olds playing in goals on the pitches of Dublin every weekend. Man up or feck off.
I mentioned pre-match that he lacks bravery, and it was highlighted tonight.

Unfortunately that's his identity, and he isn't going to change who he is.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agreed. I’m adamant his goalkeeping style hinders the defence. He never sweeps up, he never leaves his line. That’s all fine and well if he’s going to be superman like he has been, but that’s not him anymore.

Kaos

I love De Gea, but I think we have to come to the somber reality that we do need to replace him if we want to be serious contenders. Pretty much every competitive big club has a modern, mobile keeper that is adept on the ball and isn't afraid to leave their area. De Gea is pretty much glued to the goal line which does his defenders no favours.

I said it before and I'd stand by it - I still think a new, progressive manager goes for Henderson instead, or ideally a new keeper.

L_O_S_T

I think his problems are mainly mental, there seems to be this fear of making mistakes, hence he doesn't commit to making any movements out of his comfort zone. This results in the situations where he doesn't come out to claim crosses, doesn't try to anticipate a through ball, doesn't charge out to close down a 1-on-1.

Most keepers would take a calculated risk depending on situations, and sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. But it seems De Gea is now so risk-adverse that he prefers to stand on the line and look helpless so that he doesn't get any sort of major blame.

This has a roll-on effect on the defence as they won't have the confidence that their goalkeeper will bail them out if they make any mistakes. This makes the defenders more cautious and increases their work load to ensure that they cover the goalkeeper's deficiencies.

Reactions: Invictus

Mr Smith

You lot need to pull your heads in. One mistake after his best start to the season in years and you're all on his back again.

fluxx

This forum is beyond toxic. DDG has been one of our top performers this season and hadn't had any bad games until today. He's had issues past seasons but this one he has definitely been turning it around and been great overall.

Support the team ffs, or go become a Real Madrid fan

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This forum is beyond toxic. DDG has been one of our top performers this season and hadn't had any bad games until today. He's had issues past seasons but this one he has definitely been turning it around and been great overall.

You're adding to the toxicity with silly comments like that.

EtH

The fact that Ole continues to rely on this guy is truly remarkable after all he has cost us the past few seasons. I have tried to hold my tongue during his “renaissance” early this season, but he is a total liability. I have never seen a less proactive (brave ?) keeper in all my years of watching football and that includes Kepa.

Nickelodeon

So one mistake in the entire season and the talk again is to replace him? Who'd want to be our goalkeeper?!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know he isn't great but I'd rather give some game time to Henderson now.

If we are playing 352 - we can't have a goalkeeper who just stays on his line when a player does get past our defenders.

Less reflexes and all, but I think I just want to see a bit of a more rounded goalkeeper now.

When the time is right - then buy the modern goalkeeper.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You lot need to pull your heads in. One mistake after his best start to the season in years and you're all on his back again.
Nope. Plenty of us aren’t being reactive. We keep telling people what is going to happen – and then it happens! De Gea’s flaws are so self-evident and some good form in shot stopping does not change that. Many of us are even willing to give him a free pass on the first goal, it is still everything else that is the concern.

Terminator

Zapata ran 20 yards behind an awkwardly bouncing ball and DDG didn't even move an inch. Brilliant shot stopper but he is an absolute coward and in the modern game there is no place for keepers like him.

RonaldoVII

Saved our asses in over half our games this season so can let him have an off night and it didn't really cost us in the bigger picture. Need David de GOAT back now though.

lsd

The Oracle
So one mistake in the entire season and the talk again is to replace him? Who'd want to be our goalkeeper?!

Henderson fanboys just salivating waiting for one mistake and now they pouncing.

They probably cheered when Atalanta scored

Born2Lose

De Gea fanboy: "He's had a great season"
De Gea Critic : He never comes off his line, his distribution is embarrassing, he isn't vocal and provides no confidence to his defence. He also has a tendency to crumble in big games.
De Gea fanboy :" He's had a great season".

Idxomer

Neither De Gea nor Henderson is the answer.

It has become abundantly clear in the last few weeks that we need a new keeper.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No. I’ve been consistent of my criticism of him. His style of goalkeeping is a hinderance to the team and this becomes more apparent when he makes a mistake. He will probably make around 6-7 mistakes this season and people will still be living in the past regarding his ability

Devil81

The mistakes are shocking but his refusal to come and clear danger is ultimately going to end his United career.

Truth be told I think clubs have found him out, strikers know they can hold the ball until the last minute because he won't come and challenge them.

It's the same with crosses.

Red00012

A lot of our defensive problems stem from his ability to not leave the goal line

Red00012

The mistakes are shocking but his refusal to come and clear danger is ultimately going to end his United career.

Truth be told I think clubs have found him out, strikers know they can hold the ball until the last minute because he won't come and challenge them.

It's the same with crosses.
There’s nothing going to end his career only him with the wages he’s on

Oranges038

It's not just one mistake. It's his all round game. Many people have been pointing it out for a long time.

First goal is a shocker, second goal, Zapata runs 20 yards and gets to the ball on the edge of the 6 yard box. Where is DDG? Stuck to his line, but this time he sat down rather than make a save. It was more cowardly goalkeeping. We've seen it before numerous times.

Henderson fanboys just salivating waiting for one mistake and now they pouncing.

They probably cheered when Atalanta scored
This coming from the poster that thinks Pogba has been lied to and wasted at the club for 5 years.....

DDG is really good at one thing. Everything else he's bang average or worse. Why does Simon play ahead of him for Spain?

Lentwood

I don't get how the supposedly fantastic Bailly allows the simplest, straightest of runs in-behind to catch him out for the 2nd goal, and our GK, who is afraid of is own shadow, somehow doesn't even get to the edge of his 6-yard box in the time the ball travels 35 metres...and the player getting all of the stick on here and during the analysis after the game was MAGUIRE!

Bebestation

It's not De Gea's mistakes.

It's simply the things he does not do as a Goalkeeper.

He simply does not do it, he simply does not even attempt to do it.

This causes a big problem to the defenders on where they should line and how they can play.

He has the best reflexes of a Goalkeeper I have ever seen - but ultimately him blocking a shot through his reflexes is different to him stopping a shot from happening at all, which can happen through him acting before that shot happened.

There was this one time this season that I think a corner got played, he didn't come out for it and the defenders all scrambled with the attackers for the ball and the attackers managed to take a shot at goal - De Gea then saved off the line (because that's what he does, a great reflexes save), and the defenders and attackers scrambled over the ball again, the attackers took another shot, and then De Gea saved it another time with another great reflex save but it fell at the feet of an attacker and they tapped it in for a goal.

Now just because he made the great reflex saves - is he not the cause of that problem? He literally does not have the ability at any moment during that period to come out, be the only player in our starting 11 who can use his hands and well- use his hands.

De Gea most of the time uses his feet on the back line.

He hardly comes out and tries to use his hands to hold on to the ball. He doesn't attempt to stop a shot from happening before the shot has happened - he lets the shot happen.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Yeah, he's been good this season, after being dog shit for the previous two, it's the same mistake every time, too scared of getting clattered to come off his line, or to claim a corner. His utter fecking cowardice costs us, again. Hot on the heels of the single worst goalkeeping display in a shootout I've ever seen any good will he built up earlier in his time here has long gone. You simply can't have a goalkeeper who is shit scared of physical contact.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
It's not De Gea's mistakes.

It's simply the things he does not do as a Goalkeeper.

He simply does not do it, he simply does not even attempt to do it.

This causes a big problem to the defenders on where they should line and how they can play.

He has the best reflexes of a Goalkeeper I have ever seen - but ultimately him blocking a shot through his reflexes is different to him stopping a shot from happening at all, which can happen through him acting before that shot happened.

There was this one time this season that I think a corner got played, he didn't come out for it and the defenders all scrambled with the attackers for the ball and the attackers managed to take a shot at goal - De Gea then saved off the line (because that's what he does, a great reflexes save), and the defenders and attackers scrambled over the ball again, the attackers took another shot, and then De Gea saved it another time with another great reflex save but it fell at the feet of an attacker and they tapped it in for a goal.

Now just because he made the great reflex saves - is he not the cause of that problem? He literally does not have the ability at any moment during that period to come out, be the only player in our starting 11 who can use his hands and well- use his hands.

De Gea most of the time uses his feet on the back line.

He hardly comes out and tries to use his hands to hold on to the ball. He doesn't attempt to stop a shot from happening before the shot has happened - he lets the shot happen.
I think it's the double save against Wolves you're referring to, yes, it was an excellent double save, but for most keepers it was a simple catch in the first place without any drama, also he got lucky as it was a poor finish from Saiss (I think it was), who hit the rebound straight at him.

That sums De Gea up, people watch the save in a highlights clip and declare him our saviour, totally missing the fact that he often causes the chaos in the first place by being the least proactive goalkeeper in the professional game.
I said exactly this at the time and pointed out that this is constantly costing us goals and no amount of shot-stopping ability is enough to compensate (and as usual I got told I had an agenda against the lad and hadn't a clue what I was on about).

This is the biggest problem with at the club right now and is the main reason why we're miles behind other 'top' clubs, if you haven't noticed this by now, then I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand what the role of a goalkeeper actually is.

Last edited:

Bebestation

I think it's the double save against Wolves you're referring to, yes, it was an excellent double save, but for most keepers it was a simple catch in the first place without any drama, also he got lucky as it was a poor finish from Saiss (I think it was), who hit it straight at him.

That sums De Gea up, people watch the save in a highlights clip and declare him our saviour, totally missing the fact that he often causes the chaos in the first place by being the least proactive goalkeeper in the professional game.
I said exactly this at the time and pointed out that this is constantly costing us goals and no amount of shot-stopping ability is enough to compensate (and as usual I got told I had an agenda against the lad and hadn't a clue what I was on about).

This is the biggest problem with at the club right now and is the main reason why we're miles behind other 'top' clubs, if you haven't noticed this by now, then I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand what the role of a goalkeeper actually is.
Exactly.

You know - there's talk about a modern goalkeeper.

Was it really a modern thing to have a goalkeeper that came out once in a while and collected a corner or a freekick with his hands?

Anyway, For me there was a time when we could use a goalkeeper like De Gea but that time has passed.

Teams are pressing our midfielders and defenders all the time- which will lead to balls being lost like we saw yesterday through pogba or through Fred earlier this season - and what are we going to do?

Let the goalkeeper always stay on the line? Hope his reflexes does the job?

I'm not sure if Henderson is good enough as our long term option, (though I think he is a young goalkeeper that can improve with age) - but I'd still prefer Henderson over De Gea because he is ultimately more all rounded.

He collects more with his hands, better at set pieces like corners or free kicks. Arguably until De Gea's one penalty save this season, Henderson is probably better at that too. Henderson is more likely to come out if someone is on a one vs one run. He is also more vocal. I'm not sure about his passing/kicking etc, but I'd make a guess he is better at that aswell.

De Gea is mostly just reflexes isn't he? He always was and always will be.

Nickelodeon

It's not just one mistake. It's his all round game. Many people have been pointing it out for a long time.

First goal is a shocker, second goal, Zapata runs 20 yards and gets to the ball on the edge of the 6 yard box. Where is DDG? Stuck to his line, but this time he sat down rather than make a save. It was more cowardly goalkeeping. We've seen it before numerous times.
Yeah, he's been good this season, after being dog shit for the previous two, it's the same mistake every time, too scared of getting clattered to come off his line, or to claim a corner. His utter fecking cowardice costs us, again. Hot on the heels of the single worst goalkeeping display in a shootout I've ever seen any good will he built up earlier in his time here has long gone. You simply can't have a goalkeeper who is shit scared of physical contact.
I agree to the fact that his coming off the line to collect crosses and corners is an area which definitely requires improvement. I'm not sure what the coaches perspective on it is because this was a weakness in his game always but he had gotten significantly better at it during LVG and Jose's reign. I would rather he try and fail (at least one or two times) so we can know where we stand.

What I don't agree with is regarding the comments on second goal yesterday. De Gea is probably one of the best one on one GKs in the world. He had taken similar decisions against Villareal and Atalanta this season itself and saved our backsides. Hindsight is 20/20 and it is extremely easy to say that he should've done this or that. Maguire was randomly flinging himself and he could've made contact with the ball leaving De Gea to collide with the player. I can agree that yesterday wasn't a good performance but it seems that certain players are given extremely little margin before calling for them to be replaced/ousted/sold. Let's look at his performances from this season in a more balanced way. Similarly, regarding his distribution, any positives (like his long ball to Rashford early in the game) are conveniently not even taken as a point of discussion.

Blaming him as the reason for our overall disastrous defense is juvenile, outrageous and downright incorrect. In terms of points contributed/saved by one player this season, with performances like West Ham and Villareal, he's probably only behind Ronaldo for us in that aspect. Respect has to be given where its due.

lsd

The Oracle
What insult would you use to describe United fans who think De Gea is a problem and Henderson probably isn’t the solution?
Deluded probably as I would be in the camp where perhaps De Gea could be replaced but never in a million years by Henderson who is clearly nowhere near good enough.

Heaton would be better than Henderson

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I agree to the fact that his coming off the line to collect crosses and corners is an area which definitely requires improvement. I'm not sure what the coaches perspective on it is because this was a weakness in his game always but he had gotten significantly better at it during LVG and Jose's reign. I would rather he try and fail (at least one or two times) so we can know where we stand.

What I don't agree with is regarding the comments on second goal yesterday. De Gea is probably one of the best one on one GKs in the world. He had taken similar decisions against Villareal and Atalanta this season itself and saved our backsides. Hindsight is 20/20 and it is extremely easy to say that he should've done this or that. Maguire was randomly flinging himself and he could've made contact with the ball leaving De Gea to collide with the player. I can agree that yesterday wasn't a good performance but it seems that certain players are given extremely little margin before calling for them to be replaced/ousted/sold. Let's look at his performances from this season in a more balanced way. Similarly, regarding his distribution, any positives (like his long ball to Rashford early in the game) are conveniently not even taken as a point of discussion.

Blaming him as the reason for our overall disastrous defense is juvenile, outrageous and downright incorrect. In terms of points contributed/saved by one player this season, with performances like West Ham and Villareal, he's probably only behind Ronaldo for us in that aspect. Respect has to be given where its due.
Im sorry but I just cant agree with that, I grew up watching big Pete, the single best 1 on 1 keeper there ever was. De Gea is awful in one on ones, how many times has he ducked out of challenges or even actually moved out of the way of the ball? He is not a good one on one keeper.

With regard to your other points, is he single handedly to blame, nope, not at all. But his complete and utter aversion to coming out means the defence has to play deeper, constantly having to try and clear inside the penalty area, this in turn means they are further back from our midfield, and with their poor passing often means we give the ball straight back to the opposition, putting the pressure back on us so he is at least partly to blame. I will concede his distribution has improved, and his shot stopping appears to be heading back to pre-Ole levels

As for giving him on e or two more chances to improve, hes had how many years already to do that?

Mike Smalling

The fact that Ole continues to rely on this guy is truly remarkable after all he has cost us the past few seasons. I have tried to hold my tongue during his “renaissance” early this season, but he is a total liability. I have never seen a less proactive (brave ?) keeper in all my years of watching football and that includes Kepa.
Bit harsh putting this on Ole isn't it? I agree that DDG has clear limitations that has cost us, and will probably continue to do so, but Henderson is not exactly an upgrade and goalkeeper was definitely not a priority this summer.

Ole deserves a lot of criticism, but continuing to start DDG is the right choice in our current situation. This season he has done more good than bad.

spiriticon

His best start? He's the exact same player as he was 10 years ago. He has made no attempt to improve on his weaknesses since he was 19. Zero effort.

That's what pisses me off more than a bit of poor form here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.