Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thank the lord any United managed never listens to the Caf, otherwise De Gea would have been dropped at the start of the season.

This guy is back to his best, an absolute superb GK who makes the right decision nearly all the time.

Drizzle

Honestly I don't think any of his saves last night were particularly amazing - they were good but most premier league keepers would have made them.

Meanwhile, again the opposition swung corners right into our 6 yard box knowing De Gea will be stuck to his line. It's a problem that's not going away.

lloyd2wayne

I like De gea and he has saved us many times this season. He’s also getting better with penalties, he has saved about 3-4 this season alone. Long may it continue

Ps: Watching the Ajax Besiktas game and I hope we get Andre Onana to succeed De gea in a year or two. He’s only 25 years old and for a goalkeeper, you will get atleast 8 solid years from him.

Remember the geese

Thank the lord any United managed never listens to the Caf, otherwise De Gea would have been dropped at the start of the season.

This guy is back to his best, an absolute superb GK who makes the right decision nearly all the time.
You aren't seeing the full picture. He's half a job Dave. Quality shot stopper, though still not as good as he once was. However, the rest of his game is non existant. Either a new manager and coaching team forces him to be more commanding, proactive and better in possession, or he leaves.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You aren't seeing the full picture. He's half a job Dave. Quality shot stopper, though still not as good as he once was. However, the rest of his game is non existant. Either a new manager and coaching team forces him to be more commanding, proactive and better in possession, or he leaves.
He basically has to make those types of saves to be a good (not great) GK to cover for his shortcomings.

I like De gea and he has saved us many times this season. He’s also getting better with penalties, he has saved about 3-4 this season alone. Long may it continue

Ps: Watching the Ajax Besiktas game and I hope we get Andre Onana to succeed De gea in a year or two. He’s only 25 years old and for a goalkeeper, you will get atleast 8 solid years from him.
He's rumoured to have an agreement with Inter, but we should absolutely hijack the deal. We won't because Dave is on big money and we're run by business people, not football people.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's true. If he wasn't a good shot stopper, what exactly would he be bringing to the table?
Well last season when his shot stopping wasn't this good, there were a lot of people posting stats here saying he's basically in the bottom half of the league. There were serious discussions on here about getting Pope or Schmeichel Jr.

As long as he's making those saves I'm content, but I have my doubts if he can maintain this form.

Champ

I disagree with this.

He's not a keeper that will play football, like Ederson for example, but his commanding of his area is a lot better than what it used to be.

He very rarely flaps at crosses now and is a lot more commanding in and around his box.

Oranges038

I disagree with this.

He's not a keeper that will play football, like Ederson for example, but his commanding of his area is a lot better than what it used to be.

He very rarely flaps at crosses now and is a lot more commanding in and around his box.
Can't flap at them if he doesn't come out for them.

Oranges038

200 IQ is our Dave :lol:
:lol: :lol:

There was one last night where he did try and it just sailed over his head in the middle of the 6 yard box and Lindelof bailed him out.

It maddening how bad he is under a high ball.

Champ

:lol: :lol:

There was one last night where he did try and it just sailed over his head in the middle of the 6 yard box and Lindelof bailed him out.

It maddening how bad he is under a high ball.
Actually I remember that, it happened twice to be fair.

I think I was more shocked that Lindelof kept winning headers to notice DDG not claiming it, but you are definitely right with that :lol:

Remember the geese

I disagree with this.

In this day and age, your keeper needs to be able to play football. Not everyone has Ederson's passing range, but he needs to be a lot more willing to be involved in the build up. The 11th man, rather than just 1 goalkeeper.

I don't agree that he is any more commanding than he was previously. Every set piece is a worry as he invites so much pressure. There was a corner last night where De Gea was glued to his line and Lindelof had to head the ball away practically from the far post. The camera showed him have a word with him about it too. Completely unnecessary. Also any long, loose ball over the top of our defence and I'm worried we are facing a 1 on 1 situation. Any team worth their salt want to play a high line and trust that their keeper will sweep up. I don't think a forward thinking manager will tolerate him.

Oranges038 just mentioned the same situation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well last season when his shot stopping wasn't this good, there were a lot of people posting stats here saying he's basically in the bottom half of the league. There were serious discussions on here about getting Pope or Schmeichel Jr.

As long as he's making those saves I'm content, but I have my doubts if he can maintain this form.
This is a side note but I suspect if we did end up with Schmeichel people might be surprised to see he isn't the player they think he is.

For example, see where Schmeichel was relative to De Gea by GW31 last season in terms of attempting to claim corners:

Champ

In this day and age, your keeper needs to be able to play football. Not everyone has Ederson's passing range, but he needs to be a lot more willing to be involved in the build up. The 11th man, rather than just 1 goalkeeper.

I don't agree that he is any more commanding than he was previously. Every set piece is a worry as he invites so much pressure. There was a corner last night where De Gea was glued to his line and Lindelof had to head the ball away practically from the far post. The camera showed him have a word with him about it too. Completely unnecessary. Also any long, loose ball over the top of our defence and I'm worried we are facing a 1 on 1 situation. Any team worth their salt want to play a high line and trust that their keeper will sweep up. I don't think a forward thinking manager will tolerate him.

Oranges038 just mentioned the same situation.
Yeah, check my response, I completed forgot this happened to be fair, to busy with being surprised that Lindelof won another header! :lol:

I think he is better than previous seasons at claiming the high balls, and his distribution is improved. But he can definitely still improve.
I wonder if his early years still affect him, whereby every team would stick a tall striker on him at every corner or set piece?

There is more than one way to play football, I really don't think that the way we currently play, we need a footballer as a GK, obviously the way pep wants to play then you do, and the way a new manager might want to play then yes we may look at another option.
Look at Alison, he has made quite a few howlers with the ball at his feet, sometimes a clipped ball to the left back is perfect for the situation.
Look at Ramsdale as well, getting plaudits for his distribution as well as good saves, yet this glosses over the fact he has made some bizarre errors. For me DDG has been a lot more steady and reliable than Ramsdale.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I disagree with this.

I get your point that he's not a sweeper keeper, but he rarely comes off his line to calmly collect crosses. Maguire is forced to win a lot of aerials that are normally comfy saves for other goalies.

This is a side note but I suspect if we did end up with Schmeichel people might be surprised to see he isn't the player they think he is.

For example, see where Schmeichel was relative to De Gea by GW31 last season in terms of attempting to claim corners:

I think they just liked the idea of having another Schmeichel.

Remember the geese

Yeah, check my response, I completed forgot this happened to be fair, to busy with being surprised that Lindelof won another header! :lol:

I think he is better than previous seasons at claiming the high balls, and his distribution is improved. But he can definitely still improve.
I wonder if his early years still affect him, whereby every team would stick a tall striker on him at every corner or set piece?

There is more than one way to play football, I really don't think that the way we currently play, we need a footballer as a GK, obviously the way pep wants to play then you do, and the way a new manager might want to play then yes we may look at another option.
Look at Alison, he has made quite a few howlers with the ball at his feet, sometimes a clipped ball to the left back is perfect for the situation.
Look at Ramsdale as well, getting plaudits for his distribution as well as good saves, yet this glosses over the fact he has made some bizarre errors. For me DDG has been a lot more steady and reliable than Ramsdale.
Yeah on a side note, Lindelof had a really good game. Though it was possibly helped by how cautious we were for an hour or so. Though at least we were in some sort of organised shape.

Interesting point about De Gea's early years. I think I remember a point possibly in his second season with us where I thought he was becoming a bit more commanding from set pieces. However, it never really materialised. Well, either that or I just imagined it because it was what I wanted to see.

For as long as we remain a poorly coached outfit, his shot stopping abilities will mask over his other deficiencies, as others will point to more obvious weaknesses in the team. However, it won't be avoided forever. Yeah, both Alison and Ramsdale have mistakes in them for sure. Though I think on balance their style of keeping outweighs the more reactive old school approach. Certainly if you want to be a dominant, possession based side anyway.

Oranges038

Actually I remember that, it happened twice to be fair.

I think I was more shocked that Lindelof kept winning headers to notice DDG not claiming it, but you are definitely right with that :lol:
Surprised me too, Lindelof is terrible in the air or pretty much anything really that involves a physical battle.

Chelsea 1:1 Man Utd
Some more important saves today.

One weird switch-up this season is that he's started to do nearly all of our elective interviews. I've seen journalists writing about how much more of a vocal presence he is in the dressing room and how he's trying to do the same off the pitch. Definitely noticable.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Very interesting interview by DDG, or was it just me who thought it?

Asked about OGS and just responded saying they weren’t training well, playing well and conceding too many chances. But kept saying the players are together and United.

Then similarly asked about how Carricks done and mentioned the results but again didn’t say a great deal about the man. He just reinstated his previous points about training, conceding too many chances etc..

Getting a slight impression they aren’t too impressed with OGS or the coaching team.

Kag

I’m not buying this improved De Gea narrative. He’s still a liability when balls are pumped over the top (there was a dreadful example in the second half which lead to a corner) and he still flaps at balls into the box.

We’ve had bigger fish to fry of late, but I’d have him out on his arse sooner rather than later and my mind hasn’t been changed by a few good saves in a horribly underperforming team.

This won’t be popular I’m sure, but my suspicion is that this debate will rear its head again in time.

Sylar

I noticed two times where the ball went in behind the defence and I was worried De Gea would be standing on his line, but credit to him he had a much better starting spot this time and he came out to clear.
Yeah I was shocked in the first half when he did this
Good to see

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m not buying this improved De Gea narrative. He’s still a liability when balls are pumped over the top (there was a dreadful example in the second half which lead to a corner) and he still flaps at balls into the box.

We’ve had bigger fish to fry of late, but I’d have him out on his arse sooner rather than later and my mind hasn’t been changed by a few good saves in a horribly underperforming team.

This won’t be popular I’m sure, but my suspicion is that this debate will rear its head again in time.
I mean he's pretty unquestionably improved on last season in terms of shot-stopping, that's layed out in the data. Last season he was 5th worst in terms of PSxG/90, this season he's 4th best. And last season itself was pretty obviously an improvement on the previous couple of seasons in terms of glaring individual mistakes. You'd have a hard time making any reasonable argument that his form hasn't improved, particularly given he was a walking nightmare at some points over the last few seasons.

The issue is that all this improvement occurs within the framework of the type of goalkeeper he is, namely a goal-line keeper who relies heavily on his shot-stopping because he's not good in possession or at chance prevention. He could be in form and acting as a very good version of that keeper, but being that keeper is still a problem. And while he can make minute changes in terms of getting better at sweeping or whatever, he isn't going to suddenly become a different goalkeeper. That's why he needs to be replaced, not because he hasn't improved.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I'm a huge critic but I thought he played very well today.

Great save from Hudson Odoi, came off his line and swept up a few times and also came out and punched a corner away well, we need more of the latter two to stand any chance.

rooney2009

He is an old school keeper
We need to find a more modern ball playing goalie that encourages his defence to push up

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Very interesting interview by DDG, or was it just me who thought it?

Asked about OGS and just responded saying they weren’t training well, playing well and conceding too many chances. But kept saying the players are together and United.

Then similarly asked about how Carricks done and mentioned the results but again didn’t say a great deal about the man. He just reinstated his previous points about training, conceding too many chances etc..

Getting a slight impression they aren’t too impressed with OGS or the coaching team.
Noticed that myself and if true it's a bit rich considering the idiotic blind faith they had in him and shambolic contract he got under them.
He should be kissing the ground they walk on .

lex talionis

Fantastic today. Stopping shots on goal must still be regarded as a very high priority for a keeper, regardless of how much the game evolves.

Foxbatt

Fantastic today. Stopping shots on goal must still be regarded as a very high priority for a keeper, regardless of how much the game evolves.
Absolutely as his primary job is to keep the ball out of the net.

largelyworried

This is why you need a proactive keeper if you play a high line. Too often in the past De Gea is on his line there, swapping a 100% chance of avoiding the goal by clearing it for a 30% chance of making the one on one save. And of course if he makes the save, he gets praised. So its only fair to give him credit for doing it this time, lots more please.

Oranges038

He had a good game. Couple of good saves. But still the same old shite of being stuck to his line not dropping out for passes. Has decided to start flapping at corners too, which is nice.

There was still a few balls played into the 6 yard box, that he didn't even look like he was going to move for. Flapping that freekick out for a corner just before half time was one anyway. Defenders need to be sure he's going to do his job in there, he can't come for one or two and not come for others, that just creates even more confusion in there.

saivet

His save after the AWB/Lindelof feck up was outstanding. Everything else was pretty comfortable otherwise.

Red00012

I don’t understand how our coaches can’t tell DDG look we need you to stop hugging the goal line and be more pro active around what’s going on outside the box . Earning that wage and just stands on his line for the majority of the game . He’d be a great keeper back in the 80/90’s.
Fantastic shot stopper though :wenger:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He's improved but I still hope this is his last season for us as number 1. Hope he can go off with a trophy as he's been a great servant to the club.

Siezard

Isn't it amazing that De Gea is now a sweeping goalkeeper? Some more, he comes out for crosses and gives directions to teammates. Incredible keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.