Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Some of his quotes are laughable.

How about he learns how to organise his defence and do all the other bits goalkeepers are supposed to do rather than just thinking he's there to make saves.

Tormentorres

Supports
Liverpool
Unpopular opinion but I think de Gea doesn't come out to sweep or claim high as much as he can on purpose so he gets as many shots at him as possible in order to look good making spectacular saves for the cameras which could've been prevented with a more proactive goalkeeping approach. Granted he is the best at shot stopping but he may not be as bad at other aspects of goalkeeping if he chose not to be.

Telsim

I'm torn. I like De Gea, I think he is a great lad, the best shot stopper in the world, and has been with the club through thick and thin for so long now. I can say he is probably my favorite player in the current squad.

But he is like an ARPG character that invested all talent points into one single skill at the expense of pretty much everything else. It pains me to say this, but I think it might be time to part ways and try something new with Henderson. The style of play we aspire to just doesn't work with De Gea as a GK. The space our defense has to cover is just too great. I hope the club realizes this, but I doubt it. Another 4-year-contract incoming.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me he is just the Aaron Wan Bissaka of the goalkeepers of the world.

The no 1 shot stopper of the world with weaknesses that other teams love to exploit.

devips

For me he is just the Aaron Wan Bissaka of the goalkeepers of the world.

The no 1 shot stopper of the world with weaknesses that other teams love to exploit.
Apt.

Now that De Gea has forced United to drop 'playing out from the back', I wonder whether it was Ole's biggest mistake to bring in Maguire in place of Smalling so United can play from the back?

Smalling would have lent the club so much stability.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Apt.

Now that De Gea has forced United to drop 'playing out from the back', I wonder whether it was Ole's biggest mistake to bring in Maguire in place of Smalling so United can play from the back?

True but in all honesty- I don't see us winning a PL title whilst we have De Gea in goal the post SAF era.

Do we get to keep a high line because of him? How does that effect the numbers of times our opposition can beat the offside trap? Corners and free kicks? A pure gamble at the result of those.

I'm not saying that Henderson is the answer - but I much preferred how we were playing as a team when he was our goalkeeper last season. Henderson may not be good enough - but ultimately it did show me what a more proactive goalkeeper can bring to the whole team and its structures.

With what you said about Smalling- I would rather have got rid of Bailly or Jones first but when I look at how Maguire has been struggling then I do think that Henderson getting covid during the Ole era leading to the return of De Gea as our number 1 did make things harder for our CB'S too.

De gea isn't rated that highly by his national team and I personally can see why.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
what the hell was he doing on the goal I have no fecking clue.

any conference level GK should have saved that if he went with his hands.

Oranges038

Could have thrown his cap on it as the saying goes.

On the bright side. He's actively looking to take part in the play, he's dropping out to look for the ball. Passing out is still quite poor.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Really hope we are not giving him a new contract.

Somebody needs to stand behind the goal line with a cattle prod on him. If he comes out, even just a little bit, that's not a goal. Instead he stays rooted to the spot.

UnitedFan93

There's talk of him getting a new contract. If he does get a new contract then I give up. He's been one of our better performers this season but his weaknesses are never going away. It's time for a change in goal with a bigger, more imposing keeper coming in.

JB7

Astonishing how quiet this thread is given how poor he was for the goal (even if he gets his foot to it he's kicking it straight at the other striker ffs) and his distribution directly leading to more than once big opportunity for them to score. Other players would get 20 pages of shite thrown at them for considerably less.

Remember the geese

Astonishing how quiet this thread is given how poor he was for the goal (even if he gets his foot to it he's kicking it straight at the other striker ffs) and his distribution directly leading to more than once big opportunity for them to score. Other players would get 20 pages of shite thrown at them for considerably less.
I don't tend to criticise De Gea much on here because I'm just past caring. It's like how in the past you would get bored of moaning about Smalling's lack of ability on the ball. Obvious is obvious.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I don't tend to criticise De Gea much on here because I'm just past caring. It's like how in the past you would get bored of moaning about Smalling's lack of ability on the ball. Obvious is obvious.
I totally get and respect that, I've been painstakingly trying to point out the how De Gea's blindingly obvious flaws are hurting us for ten years now and, at times, I've just given up.

However, I care way too much about the club and I keep getting drawn back in.

I honestly think fans opinions rightly count for a lot so I think our fans need to be more vocal on this, because, even though, as we said, it's blatantly obvious, the majority of our fans still believe he's our saviour and worthy of the ridiculous £375,000 a week we pay him, its baffling to me.

With rumours of him getting awarded a new contract then it's even more relevant right now to discuss this major issue.

I'm not for one second suggesting that De Gea is the only player in the squad who's massively overpaid for what they actually contribute but the fact that he gets barely any criticism compared to other players, makes him, in my opinion, the biggest problem we have at the club right now.

Side note, if we do actually give him a contract extension or increase his wages then I will more than likely join you and just give up and resign myself to the fact that we will be, at best, a mid-table side until he goes.

Oranges038

Dreadful clearance in first half almost led to a goal. His kicking is woeful.
Maguire should be dropping out to look for that ball there and he doesn't need to do that and it avoids that altogether.

In general I'd agree that his distribution is very poor.

Remember the geese

I totally get and respect that, I've been painstakingly trying to point out the how De Gea's blindingly obvious flaws are hurting us for ten years now and, at times, I've just given up.

I honestly think fans opinions rightly count for a lot so I think our fans need to be more vocal on this, because, even though, as we said, it's blatantly obvious, the majority of our fans still believe he's our saviour and worthy of the ridiculous £375,000 a week we pay him, its baffling to me.

With rumours of him getting awarded a new contract then it's even more relevant right now to discuss this major issue.

I'm not for one second suggesting that De Gea is the only player in the squad who's massively overpaid for what they actually contribute but the fact that he gets barely any criticism compared to other players, makes him, in my opinion, the biggest problem we have at the club right now.

Side note, if we do actually give him a contract extension or increase his wages then I will more than likely join you and just give up and resign myself to the fact that we will be, at best, a mid-table side until he goes.
I say that I'm past caring, but you never really stop caring about something you love. I love the club and want what is best for it. I think that what I feel is just a numbing inevitability that this particular area of the team is one that won't be improved upon anytime soon. De Gea's issues are not new and it is frustrating to hear the majority glorify his performances, as if to suggest we are not worthy of having him. It's just a carousel of existing problems, of which he is just another one. I will no doubt experience anger induced by De Gea's performances again, but for now I suppose I'm just directing it elsewhere. Shaw, Maguire, Rashford, Ronaldo, Cavani, take your pick. As well as the club in general of course.

gajender

Club would only be reaffirming it's stupidity if they offer Contract extension to De Gea , they should be actively trying to move him on in Summer , he can't be part of the team which want to play progressive and modern football unless we never want to be that team .

CloneMC16

Most fans won't criticise him. They see his saves and that's enough for them. If De Gea is given a new contract, the club clearly doesn't care about improving and winning another title. I refuse to believe that Ralf would advise the club do it. If he's not consulted on decisions like this or they flat out ignore what he says, it's pointless for him to stay on as a consultant.

It will take for De Gea to go back to his form prior to this season for the majority to be willing to have a discussion about him. Even if the club wanted to make a change, I doubt it would happen this summer. We're going to have way too much to do. It would be something that gets looked at during the summer in 2023.

Oldyella

Apt.

He would I think, but I say this as a fan of Smallings when he was with us. The time was right to sell him, not getting any younger and picking up more injuries.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

This clip perfectly encapsulates the point alot of us are trying to make about the benefits of a proactive keeper Vs De Gea, it doesn't just affect the defence, it seriously diminishes our attacking possibilities also as his timidness basically means we have zero chance of him coming for a cross and setting up a quick counter.
It's not good enough for any professional goalkeeper, so when you consider we've made him the highest paid goalkeeper in world football (by a long way), it's actually laughable.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On the one hand, typically excellent save from Moder.

On the other hand, the difference between De Gea and the far more well rounded Sanchez in terms of distribution in particular was clear, as was how much it helps their team in general play.

Not a criticism of De Gea today per se, just worth noting we trade off quite a bit for that top tier shot-stopping ability.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He should stick to short passes rather than the long ball, just doesn't have the distribution.

Class save from that header, one for his season highlight reel.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Really encouraging to see him read the danger and come out and intercept before Danny Welbeck got a chance.
It's basic stuff for most professional goalkeepers but something De Gea very rarely does so I was delighted to see it.

Dan_F

This clip perfectly encapsulates the point alot of us are trying to make about the benefits of a proactive keeper Vs De Gea, it doesn't just affect the defence, it seriously diminishes our attacking possibilities also as his timidness basically means we have zero chance of him coming for a cross and setting up a quick counter.
It's not good enough for any professional goalkeeper, so when you consider we've made him the highest paid goalkeeper in world football (by a long way), it's actually laughable.
I thought it worked out that he had saved over 12 this season compared to his expected goals against, highest of any keeper?

We don’t seem to be conceding that many from set pieces, despite being woeful at attacking them.

Remember the geese

Really encouraging to see him read the danger and come out and intercept before Danny Welbeck got a chance.
It's basic stuff for most professional goalkeepers but something De Gea very rarely does so I was delighted to see it.
It was a pleasant surprise, but even with that one I think that most keepers would be dealing with it a lot sooner. Either by heading it clear, or taking it down and clearing/passing to a teammate. Worked out fine though.

Alemar

Godlike save today. Even de Gea himself told in the interview that it was an extremely difficult one to save.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On the one hand, typically excellent save from Moder.

On the other hand, the difference between De Gea and the far more well rounded Sanchez in terms of distribution in particular was clear, as was how much it helps their team in general play.

Not a criticism of De Gea today per se, just worth noting we trade off quite a bit for that top tier shot-stopping ability.
Yeah, 100%. It’s criminal how often DDG just lobs the ball upfield, under very little pressure. And it invariably ends up gifting the opposition possession. While Sanchez looks so comfortable passing through the lines. A modern goalkeeper.

Absolute world class save though. One of his best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.