Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
It's pretty much his signature move, for ten years now I've been baffled every single time he plays at how horrendous he is at so many crucial aspects of goal-keeping. We actually pay £375,000 a week to a goalkeeper that's terrified of physical confrontation, if anyone needs a perfect example of what a shambles the club is then that's it right there.
Maguire and Shaw were obviously also massively at fault for the Burnley goal, but the difference is they are getting criticism for it, whereas, yet again, De Statue gets a free pass because he made a half decent save from Weghorst.
As I've said so many times, it doesn't matter who we sign in defence, midfield or attack, we will still struggle to win matches because De Gea's flaws are costing us possession, control, goals, and, ultimately, points on a regular basis.
At the elite level of any sport, fine margins are everything and if one of your main players has so many blindingly obviously weakness then it's obvious going to cost you over a season.
There's much much more to goal-keeping than shot stopping, it's that simple.
Agree completely. Impossible to play a high pressing aggressive game when you have a keeper terrified to come off his line.

Which is why one of the first things Pep and Klopp did was sort out the keeper situation to fit their style if play.

Litch

Was glued to his line as usual for the goal. Rodriguez is in the box and he still hasn't made any forward progress.

If he starts at a better position he probably smothers the effort.

In better form but we still need an upgrade.

Said this before in the Henderson thread and got pelters. DDG shot stopping is something else but the fundamentals of goalkeeping is lacking. DDG command of the box, his distribution is poor, his starting position and worse of the lot, his bravery is poor. Once Harry was turned, his starting position should be a least 10 -15 yards further. DDG helps strikers make their mind up for them. Not sure about others but how many times have you watched on TV, the striker runs through and the camera pans, you think where the feck is DDG only to see him stuck in the box….

Oranges038

Was glued to his line as usual for the goal. Rodriguez is in the box and he still hasn't made any forward progress.

If he starts at a better position he probably smothers the effort.

In better form but we still need an upgrade.

When you see it from there it looks bad.

But he actually retreats 12 yards to get there from when Weghorst gets the ball. Doesn't move to cover the angle properly and avoids any chance of physical contact.

Sylar

He made a really good save after. But yeah, I think DDG is known for basically turning himself when close by, the opposite of what we used to see with Big pete or even EVS. Its like he makes himself the smallest as possible to avoid the ball hitting his face or anywhere other than his hands of feet.

Hes been good this season, but we need to upgrade. Henderson might not be the answer, but hes part of the reason why we dont keep clean sheets. (Its his thread so thats why im not going on about defence or organisation)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally don't think we will win a title until De Gea leaves us.

I get that he has been in amazing form - but at the same time I feel like he makes our team have to play in a certain way due to his inabilities.

Considering the overpriced wage he has - I'd probably think we would have to wait until he retires.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Said this before in the Henderson thread and got pelters. DDG shot stopping is something else but the fundamentals of goalkeeping is lacking. DDG command of the box, his distribution is poor, his starting position and worse of the lot, his bravery is poor. Once Harry was turned, his starting position should be a least 10 -15 yards further. DDG helps strikers make their mind up for them. Not sure about others but how many times have you watched on TV, the striker runs through and the camera pans, you think where the feck is DDG only to see him stuck in the box….
Actually often that's exactly right place for him to be. As below, for example:

That's why his record on those longer range 1v1s is superb, while someone like Ederson regularly struggles with them due to his more aggressive approach:

The issue is that once the attacker gets in closer, then De Gea has to be more aggressive and close him down. And it's in those close range incidents we've seen him balk out of challenges in the past.

big rons sovereign

It's pretty much his signature move, for ten years now I've been baffled every single time he plays at how horrendous he is at so many crucial aspects of goal-keeping. We actually pay £375,000 a week to a goalkeeper that's terrified of physical confrontation, if anyone needs a perfect example of what a shambles the club is then that's it right there.
Maguire and Shaw were obviously also massively at fault for the Burnley goal, but the difference is they are getting criticism for it, whereas, yet again, De Statue gets a free pass because he made a half decent save from Weghorst.
As I've said so many times, it doesn't matter who we sign in defence, midfield or attack, we will still struggle to win matches because De Gea's flaws are costing us possession, control, goals, and, ultimately, points on a regular basis.
At the elite level of any sport, fine margins are everything and if one of your main players has so many blindingly obviously weakness then it's obvious going to cost you over a season.
There's much much more to goal-keeping than shot stopping, it's that simple.
The stand still till the last moment then drop to one knee whilst turning away. Pathetic.
He should be cleaning him out.
Saying that, Maguire could've actually tried to challenge for the ball rather than trying to rub his cock on Rodriguez but oh well.....

L1nk

The stand still till the last moment then drop to one knee whilst turning away. Pathetic.
He should be cleaning him out.
Saying that, Maguire could've actually tried to challenge for the ball rather than trying to rub his cock on Rodriguez but oh well.....
I'm a fan of De Gea and his shot stopping ability, on his day, is second to none. But i've never seen a goalkeeper so scared of physical contact it's incredible, I agree he should be going towards him and making himself as big as possible and cleaning him out if thats what it takes

big rons sovereign

I'm a fan of De Gea and his shot stopping ability, on his day, is second to none. But i've never seen a goalkeeper so scared of physical contact it's incredible, I agree he should be going towards him and making himself as big as possible and cleaning him out if thats what it takes
It's clearly a marked weakness too.
Teams know if they get close to him they'll come out on too.
When a player gets 1v1 he should be considering his options.
Do I slot it past this lunatic before he gets to me?
Do I wait till he gets to me and try go around or lift over him?
Instead it's easy, he'll just stand and wait then turn away.

jeff_goldblum

Maguire will deservedly get stick for the goal but De Gea should also do better. He's woeful in those situations and it seems to be a purely mental problem which he's made no effort to address.

L1nk

Maybe not the best source but honestly wouldn't shock me

Oranges038

Classic De Gea really.
Saw a clip of Schmeichel talking about the Burnley goal. Basically said DDG should be coming to meet him and getting the defenders round to cover the goal line.

DDG starts at the penalty spot, a good start, but by the time Rodriguez hits the shot he basically goes back to the goal and then decides to come out and meet him on the 6 yard line. Which he cowers away from, it was poor goalkeeping when you look back on it.

arnie_ni

Saw a clip of Schmeichel talking about the Burnley goal. Basically said DDG should be coming to meet him and getting the defenders round to cover the goal line.

DDG starts at the penalty spot, a good start, but by the time Rodriguez hits the shot he basically goes back to the goal and then decides to come out and meet him on the 6 yard line. Which he cowers away from, it was poor goalkeeping when you look back on it.
I mean you've just contradicted every part of the analysis apart from the "covers away" part.

He said he made the correct decision on his positioning and timing his push to the attacker.

Longshanks

I don't necessarily think de gea gets his positioning wrong, nor do I think it was a situation where rushing out would of made much difference.

His decision making was fine but his attempted block was pretty woeful really fannied out of it made himself look quite small and gave Rodriguez an pretty easy near post finish.

As one of the posts above points out he is very poor in close range one on ones.

David de gea, great 'shot stopper' poor at Every other aspect of goal keeping.

Oranges038

I mean you've just contradicted every part of the analysis apart from the "covers away" part.

He said he made the correct decision on his positioning and timing his push to the attacker.

I wasn't talking about the analysis. Merely commenting on how one of the best ever said he would have dealt with the situation. Which if you look at the analysis, is different to the one highlighted because of the angle of approach of the attacker.

Schmeichel actually contradicts the analysis by this lad on twitter. I think I'd take his advice over that.

The correct decision would have been, not to retreat to his six yard box, but take those steps to his right and meet Rodriguez further out, force him to either shoot early or go around him or send him on his left foot away from goal. He did none of that. Shaw should be going behind to cover the goal line rather than sliding in front of him to make a block. Which also makes it harder for him to engage because Shaw gets in his way.

I am not blaming him for the goal. But, he did less than nothing, Rodriguez ran right to the edge of the 6 yard box and tucked it past him while he came out and just moved out of the way. Avoiding the possibility of contact yet again.

Irwin99

It's hardly much of an endorsement but i'd say he's been our player of the season again so far :nervous:

...god that's depressing to admit. I'm glad his form is somewhat back to what it was a few years ago though.

JB7

Yep, as a club we definitely are that stupid that we’d tie down the best paid goalkeeper in the world who’s already contracted for another 18 months & who literally no other top club would touch with a barge pole. Thankfully it’s a terrible source so hopefully that’s all it is.

Mainoldo

This club loves giving out unnecessary contracts. Jesus, we’ve already priced him out the market. He doesn’t need further securing.

lex talionis

Clearly one of the top keepers in the works yet some here would drop him. For Henderson?

Incredible.

Red_toad

I'd be happy if he saw his deal out and left on a free. We need a more aggressive keeper, he doesn't help his defence, glued to his line and not a great communicator.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We should have signed Onana when there was an opportunity. Back to the point, he should just leave after the current contract.

ti vu

We should have signed Onana when there was an opportunity. Back to the point, he should just leave after the current contract.
Ideally, we should have signed Onana, but in reality with 4 first teams GKs, it's hard for us to persuade Onana to join. Handanovic contract with Inter ends this summer. It's likely they would part way and Onana get the starting GK position at Inter.

Also we're on good term with Ajax. Onana and Ajax have some issue due to this free transfer. Onana maybe ball playing GK, but there is no guarantee he would be our starting GK. Diplomatically we don't want sour thing with Ajax.

We're in awkward position now. Keeping Henderson around these 2 seasons, seems to stall his development. His current level is not better than DDG in decent form. He's not ready to challenge or take over. Yet at the same time it is also the right time to start consider DDG contract expiration. We don't want to be left in situation like Chelsea rushing to pay world record fee for Kepa after being forced to sell Courtois. Only for Kepa to turned out a disaster.

Now we don't have time to gamble with one season loan for Henderson without extending DDG contract. There is no guarantee Henderson would develop well in this following season. Very bad management for Henderson development these 2 seasons.

Terminator

Brilliant shot stopper but awful at everything else. Little to no command of the box, doesn't rush out to sweep like every modern half decent keeper does and overall just doesn't inspire confidence in our defense.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
This club loves giving out unnecessary contracts. Jesus, we’ve already priced him out the market. He doesn’t need further securing.

I genuinely give up if they extend that contract, he's already massively overpaid, I would genuinely argue that, for what he offers to the team overall, he's the most overpaid player in the world.
Looking at the how the club is run at the moment however, especially when it comes to player contracts, it wouldn't surprise me if they offered him more money, we're that clueless.

led_scholes

He is not one of the best gks in the world as he was considered back in 2019 when he signed the contract . A new contract should reflect this. If not, it's madness to offer him more than 1 year extension, even on current wages.

lex talionis

Ok, let us suppose that De Gea is awful at everything else except shot stopping. Who should we bring in to succeed this farce of a goalkeeper?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
https://www.eurosport.com/football/...-club-given-their-ongo_sto8778802/story.shtml

De Gea said: "I think someone has put a curse on us or something. The truth is I don't know what's going on, I really don't. People always ask me and we talk about it as team-mates and we just say 'we don't know what's happening. We should have competed for more trophies, bigger titles, but I just don't know why this team doesn't function."

"Teams create a lot of chances against us. But that's what I'm here for: trying to stop goals, help the team however I can and this year things are going well in that regard. Ralf Rangnick wants us to be intense, to always press and be on the front foot"

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Ok, let us suppose that De Gea is awful at everything else except shot stopping. Who should we bring in to succeed this farce of a goalkeeper?

There's no supposing about it, he is.

Any other goal-keeper that actually does what a top goalkeeper is supposed to do would be an upgrade. That's why when Henderson played last year, our results improved massively, whether you rate him or not (the dury is out), the benefits of having a proactive goalkeeper where clear as day, instantly.

Aside from the obvious big names such as Courtouis, Onana, Navas or Donnaruma I like the look of Jose Sa at Wolves and Robert Sanchez at Brighton.

crossy1686

career ending
“In the Europa League Final, it bothered me more not to save a penalty than to miss it”

“[Rangnick] wants us to be intense, to always try to press, to be very active... It's also costing us. But that's what we try: to be intense and try to recover the ball as high as possible, try to do damage. We know we have to defend better and we try to do that, but it's hard for us.”

"I don't know if that's a good thing [save stats]. Teams create a lot of chances against us. But that's what I'm here for: trying to stop goals, help the team however I can and this year things are going well in that regard."

"We should have competed for more trophies, bigger titles, but I just don't know why this team doesn't function."

Even just seeing him [Ronaldo] walk through the door gives you a desire to show you're at his level. He works so hard and is very demanding of himself. I think he's a bit calmer than before, but he is a machine."

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Players not knowing what's going on ? Wow. This just proves how this team being led. His words suggest there's no serious analysis of errors and no direction whatsoever.

Imagine earning 200k per week and you don't even know what you're doing. Everyone act like clueless pile of banter piss and now they're okay to admit that.

ti vu

Wow. Some damning quote there. Sounds like there is a serious lack of tactical awareness among our players.

It's even obvious for even fans to see when players make tactical error: Bruno not challenge when Varane forcing Boro player to run toward him, and this player escape create the counter attack leading to the goal. In same sequence of play, Maguire backed away too far and too soon, making the pitch too big out of possession making it tougher to defend, and for other players to recover. Pogba switched off and not covering the goal scorer despite putting effort to running back. Burnley conceded goal had wrong decision to press by McTominey leading to the counter attack. Maguire disaster class decision making. Shaw with his not too new issue with tactical disciple with breaking our offside trap. Then last but not least, DDG limitation with his distribution leading to us having to go direct from GK position toward forward line. We don't have a forward with great hold up skill, and going this route is very disadvantageous with high rate of possession turn over. Right now, it's down the priority list due to the fact, we can't trust Maguire on receiving end of DDG short pass, nor our midfielder dropping deep. However, in long run, it's clearly an important tactical point to improve: Goal keeper have to be able to find our attacker with long kick, as well as the whole unit would be comfortable playing out of the back, drawing opposition out to make the pitch big in possession.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Interesting question, particularly now that Henderson has effectively been seen off as a challenger. However immediately he goes, we'll have to replace De Gea with someone at some point and we've seen in the past that replacing long term keepers can be tricky.

In terms of younger goalkeepers within the PL, stats would suggest that Sanchez and Meslier are perhaps the most interesting. There's always the question of how well they'll continue to develop and handle the step up though, for which you'd need actual intensive scouting.

Meslier in particular is a promising prospect in the long run though, I think. At 21 he's still too raw and should stay where he is for a few more seasons but at various points he has shown the talent in different areas to potentially end up being a very well-rounded top level keeper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.