Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So, what you’d want to see when an attacking player is attempting a cross is for the keeper to be rooted to the back post? That would be a schoolboy error.
Exactly. Chances that the ball goes in like it did is 1:100000. Chances that it goes to a player and he can clear is is much higher. Simple really and imo not even a big mistake or so

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know he looked shite against us (and this season really compared to last) but I bet we go for Meslier if DDG leaves at the end of his contract. Best young available keeper in the league.
Meslier is class and a few shite games vs us doesn't change that. I rate him highly as well.
I rate Meslier as well but watching him this season, I still think he needs a few more years before he's ready to make the step up. He still looks a bit too raw, though that's understandable given his age.

If I was going for a PL keeper right now I'd opt for Sanchez. At 24 he's still young without being too young and given the way Brighton play it's relatively easy to see how he'd slot into a top side.

And stats-wise he's shown potential in all the areas you'd want: this season he's best in the league in terms of % of crosses stopped and fourth best in terms of sweeping actions, last season he was third best in terms of shotstopping stats. With his distribution obviously being very good too, it makes for a good all-round goalkeeper.

big rons sovereign

Just seeing the highlights of us away in Atalanta, their second goal involves De gea staying rooted to his line before turning his back on the ball. That's just one instance, there's so many other times he's done the same thing, away at Burnley being the most recent example of it.

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Thank feck you aren't our goalkeeping coach then. Any goalie would keep himself as central as possible in that position, and not leave a wide goal like you are implying.
Nope....Proper positioning has a keeper far post when a left footer has the ball by the touchline. As the player moves in, the keeper moves in. This is basics of keeping and De Gea will have been talked to about this after the game...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So, what you’d want to see when an attacking player is attempting a cross is for the keeper to be rooted to the back post? That would be a schoolboy error.
When did I say "rooted". I said as a left footed player has it wide near the touchline a keeper should be closer to his far post. As the player moves in, the keeper moves in more. Basics of goal keeping

Based Adnan

Constantly invites pressure on us due to his inability to distribute or sweep then gets all the plaudits when he makes a few saves due to said pressure

Until Atletico scored we were constantly under pressure in part due to him not coming out to claim a simple ball which Maguire put out for a corner and booting a simple ball into touch

Kag

Set the tone in the first minute because he is a raging fanny.

He’ll leave one day and we’ll be so much better for it.

Longshanks

Constantly invites pressure on us due to his inability to distribute or sweep then gets all the plaudits when he makes a few saves due to said pressure

Until Atletico scored we were constantly under pressure in part due to him not coming out to claim a simple ball which Maguire put out for a corner and booting a simple ball into touch
Yep, the goal comes from a corner that they won from a throw in by our penalty box from a dreadful kick from de gea.

I mentioned the maguire incident in the match thread and got told it was 1000% Maguires fault, its like there are alot of fans who have never seen a competent goalkeeper play.

Kag

Yep, the goal comes from a corner that they won from a throw in by our penalty box from a dreadful kick from de gea.

I mentioned the maguire incident in the match thread and got told it was 1000% Maguires fault, its like there are alot of fans who have never seen a competent goalkeeper play.
Two incidents of utterly wank goalkeeping in the first five minutes alone, yet De Gea will continue to get a free ride because we have lots of other bogging players, supported by the odd wonder save or three.

He’s a massive problem.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Two incidents of utterly wank goalkeeping in the first five minutes alone, yet De Gea will continue to get a free ride because we have lots of other bogging players, supported by the odd wonder save or three.

He’s a massive problem.
He's the smallest problem at the club.

Lentwood

Totally agree with this. Piles pressure on his teammates with his cowardly "Subbutteo" style of goalkeeping and inability to kick a football, then makes a routine save and suddenly he is our saviour.

It's bollocks. I can count his genuinely top saves this season on one-hand, but his negative goalkeeping is costing us so much more

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
DeGea is an experienced keeper who's played numerous times on the biggest stage for club and country. Looked like he was s-t scared from the first second. That moment he took the quick goal kick and played it behind Varane. Dunno what he was thinking. Head was clearly gone at that moment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Maguire could have done better but that was a classic example of the uncertainty a timid, indecisive keeper causes in our defence. There will be many more subtle moments in every match where a lack of communication and commitment from our keeper makes defenders panic and forces them to make hasty decisions they should never need to make. It creates so many problems for us defensively and won’t ever go away until we replace him.

always_hoping

No save to make tonight, before the match i thought he'd be very busy. Had zero chance of saving the goal.

Oranges038

I said it about the Roma match last year where he was apparently great. That a lot of their chances would have been avoided if he'd just come and claimed the first ball.

It's the uncertainty it causes in defence when a defender has to be second guessing himself in situations like that. Maguire should be able to stand his ground and allow him to claim it, pressure gone. Instead he scrambles it for a corner which just invites even more pressure.

Phez

Ronaldo was giving him a bollocking at a corner.
Ronaldo this game, Pogba last game. When will fans realise his inability to claim a ball, sweep, and distribute is causing so much additional pressure and panic to the backline. People still wonder how he faces the most shots as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On a fan level I have a reservoir of affection for De Gea and like the idea of a longstanding club servant seeing out his career here but realistically I agree.

Much though I like him, he at best only performs well by compensating for glaring weaknesses with one outstanding quality, which always puts a limit on how good he can be for the team overall. And at worst he doesn't perform well enough to compensate for those weaknesses. I'm also acutely aware that as the team gets better the qualities we need from our goalkeeper shift further and further towards his weaknesses.

I never expected us to replace him this summer given everything else that needs fixing but ideally we'd have let him see out his contract and move on to pastures new.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doing this will surely put him as one of the longest serving players at the end of his potential new contract?
Current all time appearances list:

1. Giggs -963
2. Charlton -758
3. Scholes - 718
4. Foulkes - 688
5. Neville - 602
6. Rooney - 559
7. Stepney - 539
8. Dunne - 535
9. Irwin - 529
10. Spence - 510
11. Albiston - 485
12. Keane - 480
13. De Gea - 475

Wonder how many he'll finish on.

Lentwood

Would rather the club were active in securing a few of the soon to be out of contract players, over keeping a keeper the next manager might not want.
If this is true I might have to actually give up :lol:

If there are people at the club who think the a) DDG isn't a huge net-negative for the team in modern football and b) is worthy of a new bumper contract then we should just give up now.

The way De Gea plays belongs to the 90s. It's not acceptable to play that way and claim it's evened-out by a few saves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Christ on a bike. Is there nobody at the club capable of doing these sort of analyses?
Honestly even if they were fully aware of it they might just think everything else is too much of a mess to deal with the goalkeeper situation any time soon. With the state we're in we could probably map out three years' worth of summer spending even without signing a first choice keeper.

Even if we just focus on replacing the players who are either over 36, actually leaving in the summer or facing a potential prison term we're about half a dozen deep.

Last edited:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Current all time appearances list:

1. Giggs -963
2. Charlton -758
3. Scholes - 718
4. Foulkes - 688
5. Neville - 602
6. Rooney - 559
7. Stepney - 539
8. Dunne - 535
9. Irwin - 529
10. Spence - 510
11. Albiston - 485
12. Keane - 480
13. De Gea - 475

Wonder how many he'll finish on.
Based off that list, and say a 3 year agreement, likely to be a starter for at least two more seasons, Rooney's is very achievable when he would play at least 40 games a season (not to forget another 12 to the end of this).

Varane around town

Yeah have a bad feeling about this.

There's no doubt that De Gea has been our player of the season so far. I think he's 10x the goalkeeper that Henderson is or is ever likely to be. However, I do think we need to think a little long term here. Is it a good idea to sign an ageing 'Keeper, who does suffer from big confidence crises, doesn't like coming off his line and isn't that good with ball at his feet.

Oranges038

If this is true I might have to actually give up :lol:

If there are people at the club who think the a) DDG isn't a huge net-negative for the team in modern football and b) is worthy of a new bumper contract then we should just give up now.

The way De Gea plays belongs to the 90s. It's not acceptable to play that way and claim it's evened-out by a few saves.
Even an aging Neville Southall was more proactive than him.

If he's offered a new deal it's quite clear that it's more about protecting asset value than having players who fit the mould for how this team should be playing.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah have a bad feeling about this.

There's no doubt that De Gea has been our player of the season so far. I think he's 10x the goalkeeper that Henderson is or is ever likely to be. However, I do think we need to think a little long term here. Is it a good idea to sign an ageing 'Keeper, who does suffer from big confidence crises, doesn't like coming off his line and isn't that good with ball at his feet.
We will eventually need to find a new goalie within the next 3 years, but is there a standout option we can trust? I'm asking more than questioning your point as I dont know how many good options there really are

MUFC OK

Look forward to him extending and hopefully we can see Henderson shipped to Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.