Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

Did anyone notice Pope giving up a goal from a deep cross in his 6 yard box last night?

I. Was. Shocked.
De Gea makes those mistakes every other week. Pope will usually deal with those types of crosses. No keeper will make the right decisions every time, but the better keepers will more often than not.

Olecurls99

De Gea makes those mistakes every other week. Pope will usually deal with those types of crosses. No keeper will make the right decisions every time, but the better keepers will more often than not.
No, Dave tends to stay on his line and leave it to his defenders. He is then at least available to make a save.

Dave came for a cross, leaving an open goal, towards the end of last night's game and I had my head in my hands. Just leave it to your defenders, I say.

CloneMC16

No, Dave tends to stay on his line and leave it to his defenders. He is then at least available to make a save.

Dave came for a cross, leaving an open goal, towards the end of last night's game and I had my head in my hands. Just leave it to your defenders, I say.
Leaving it to your defenders is the mistake. If something is coming into the 6 yard box, proactive keepers will mostly go and catch it. We're just used to a keeper that stands on his line in almost all scenarios.

arnie_ni

What I noticed is we needlessly go back to de gea an awful awful lot. There was one time someone passed to Bruno and instead of opening his body to receive the pass where he had dalot wide open up the right wing,.he took it back to goal, went back to varane who went back to de gea. He had no outs as both full backs were up the pitch and he humped it long and we lost possession.

There was another time martinez I thought flat out refused to pass it to McTominay and the same thing happened. Back to de gea, long and lost.

Does anyone have a touch count? What was his touches compared to rayas?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Your failure to understand the art of goalkeeping is bordering on the comical.

Do you really think a goalkeeper should spend the whole match rooted to the goal line because otherwise they risk the worst possible scenario, an open goal?

CloneMC16

What I noticed is we needlessly go back to de gea an awful awful lot. There was one time someone passed to Bruno and instead of opening his body to receive the pass where he had dalot wide open up the right wing,.he took it back to goal, went back to varane who went back to de gea. He had no outs as both full backs were up the pitch and he humped it long and we lost possession.

There was another time martinez I thought flat out refused to pass it to McTominay and the same thing happened. Back to de gea, long and lost.

De Gea had 43 touches. Raya had 57.

Olecurls99

Do you really think a goalkeeper should spend the whole match rooted to the goal line because otherwise they risk the worst possible scenario, an open goal?
When the box is full of players I think it's better not to get lost in the melee leaving the goal open.

If that's comical, then laugh it up by all means. Life is short

Real Name

Few of us have been through with him on this yesterday, its a lost cause.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He had 3 bad clearences and passes yesterday, made one very important 1 on 1 save yesterday, but people keep crying like if he was Van der Gouw or Roy Carroll.

Of course we have to improve this position, but he is not as awful as people want to say.

When he is such important on his line and only average with his feet, can we say that he is poor ?

Raya is not a better keeper than him I am sorry.

Real Name

He had 3 bad clearences and passes yesterday, made one very important 1 on 1 save yesterday, but people keep crying like if he was Van der Gouw or Roy Carroll.

Of course we have to improve this position, but he is not as awful as people want to say.

When he is such important on his line and only average with his feet, can we say that he is poor ?

Raya is not a better keeper than him I am sorry.
This is the main point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I answered all relevant questions thank you
No you didn't. You refused to answer the below, repeatedly.

I'm asking whether in general, on average, based on your fundamental understanding of football having watched it for years and years, you think a goalkeeper will typically have a harder time trying to catch a cross that comes extremely close to his goal or trying to save an attempt on goal from point blank range.
You claimed you shouldn't be threadbanned for trolling and arguing in bad faith. Now you're telling lies as well.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
good save on 1 on 1 but really bad in passing yet again. Or I'm seeing things?
I think he made more good passes in the first half than he's done in the last 10 games combined. He looked really confident and for the first 30min or so put it on the plate every single time to the point where I joked about how he had summoned his inner Scholes today.. then it all fell apart quite quickly mind you but I think he deserves some credit anyway + that first touch on Malacia's pass was pretty decent as well.

Pickle85

Asking for threadbans is the equivalent of a player waving an imaginary yellow card at the ref. Unseemly. Grow up ffs.

Oranges038

Not directed at you necessarily but others have. It's lame.
I did, because that poster offers nothing and they have the most posts in this thread. They refuse to answer simple questions.

Came in here after the game and starts claiming DDG should stay in his line and not come for crosses because Pope missed 1 that led to a goal. Does the same with Allison and Ederson. DDG went for one btw, and was outjumped by his own defender even as he was going with his hands.

This is all despite the fact that these keepers deal with about twice as many high claims as DDG this season, yet they trot out this bs that the keeper should stay in his line and let his defenders deal with crosses into the box.

You'd nearly swear it was Dave himself.

Gordon Godot

I did, because that poster offers nothing and they have the most posts in this thread. They refuse to answer simple questions.

Came in here after the game and starts claiming DDG should stay in his line and not come for crosses because Pope missed 1 that led to a goal. Does the same with Allison and Ederson. DDG went for one btw, and was outjumped by his own defender even as he was going with his hands.

This is all despite the fact that these keepers deal with about twice as many high claims as DDG this season, yet they trot out this bs that the keeper should stay in his line and let his defenders deal with crosses into the box.

Problem is if DDG signs a new deal, even on less money, he will still be way overpaid for what he is and we wont be able to move him on. His inability to dominate even is own 6 yard box let along the broader penalty area, lack of passing ability, plus discomfort as playing almost as a sweeper when needed means he is fundamentally not suited to how the top teams now play and how ETH wants us to play

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I don't know if this is needless, we have no midfield with both Casemiro and Eriksen out. Only Bruno looks like he can receive a pass deep and do something with the ball, and he shouldn't be anywhere near that third of the pitch.
Normally we should avoid passing so much to De Gea I agree, but it's very difficult for us to build the play from the back now.

Pickle85

To be fair, your anti-de Gea crusade is pretty obsessive and one-eyed (is that the right phrase?!)

arnie_ni

I don't know if this is needless, we have no midfield with both Casemiro and Eriksen out. Only Bruno looks like he can receive a pass deep and do something with the ball, and he shouldn't be anywhere near that third of the pitch.
Normally we should avoid passing so much to De Gea I agree, but it's very difficult for us to build the play from the back now.
Maybe needless is the wrong choice of word, but there's a lot of times I find myself thinking why are we going back here there's no need. I think this will happen less and less the more ETH gets into them and as you say players come back in

Oranges038

To be fair, your anti-de Gea crusade is pretty obsessive and one-eyed (is that the right phrase?!)
Nah, I think his all round game is poor, I don't think he's anywhere near world class, don't think I ever have. Utd have kept a lot of clean sheets this season, but how much of that is really down to him?

Here's my assessment of him. The stats and the eye test back this up.

Shot stopping - average - psxg one of the lowest in the league. Save % one of the worst in the league.

Passing - poor - % completed one of the worst in the league

Passing range - poor - launches too many kicks, one of the highest % launched in the league.

High claims - poor - one of the worst in the league

Sweeping - poor - one of the worst in the league

It's already been pointed out, Henderson proved in his short spell that even an average PL keeper with a better all round skillset is actually better for the team.

Now ask yourself this, if a keeper who is now behind Navas at Forrest did better for Utd than someone who many think is one of the best in the world.

How good is he really?

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Saves us with a great save once or twice per game but also gets us in trouble once or twice per game with shit kicking.

Pickle85

Nah, I think his all round game is poor, I don't think he's anywhere near world class, don't think I ever have. Utd have kept a lot of clean sheets this season, but how much of that is really down to him?

Here's my assessment of him. The stats and the eye test back this up.

Shot stopping - average - psxg one of the lowest in the league. Save % one of the worst in the league.

Passing - poor - % completed one of the worst in the league

Passing range - poor - launches too many kicks, one of the highest % launched in the league.

High claims - poor - one of the worst in the league

Sweeping - poor - one of the worst in the league

It's already been pointed out, Henderson proved in his short spell that even an average PL keeper with a better all round skillset is actually better for the team.

Now ask yourself this, if a keeper who is now behind Navas at Forrest did better for Utd than someone who many think is one of the best in the world.

How good is he really?
Sorry, I admire your dedication to arguing the point but I don't have the energy. I think he's good. Certainly good enough for now - we can upgrade but he's not among our top three most upgradable positions. The fact that you think that Henderson is a better bet as united number one is crazy to me, tbh. Also to a list of previous united managers.

Oranges038

Sorry, I admire your dedication to arguing the point but I don't have the energy. I think he's good. Certainly good enough for now - we can upgrade but he's not among our top three most upgradable positions. The fact that you think that Henderson is a better bet as united number one is crazy to me, tbh. Also to a list of previous united managers.
I think a keeper with a better all round game would be a better fit for the team as a whole. Something Henderson already proved, DDG wasn't missed at all during that period. Just like other players, only when you see him replaced will you realise how good he really is compared to other keepers.

Personally can't wait to have a keeper who does a hell of a lot more than milk camera saves.

43 seems like an awful lot when we had alot of possession in their half for most of the game
ETH has coached the players to involve him more so he will get more touches. It's obvious from their movement they are looking to him as an outfield player in certain situations.

JB7

You don't have the energy yet you return to this thread game after game to tell everyone he's good enough.

I think a keeper with a better all round game would be a better fit for the team as a whole. Something Henderson already proved, DDG wasn't missed at all during that period. Just like other players, only when you see him replaced will you realise how good he really is compared to other keepers.

Personally can't wait to have a keeper who does a hell of a lot more than milk camera saves.
And when De Gea returned, the crazy defending returned too. Roma & Villareal being cases in point.

Oranges038

You don't have the energy yet you return to this thread game after game to tell everyone he's good enough.

And when De Gea returned, the crazy defending returned too. Roma & Villareal being cases in point.
Pointed it out about the Roma game around the time.

He excelled in the chaos he created that night.

Pickle85

Buddy, you have nearly 200 posts in this thread. I certainly don't have the energy to compete with that.

JB7

Buddy, you have nearly 200 posts in this thread. I certainly don't have the energy to compete with that.
Or literally anyone that challenges your opinion that he's very good, apparently.

Heck you even tried to claim he was the best goalkeeper on the pitch last night :lol:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I love DDG but Raya's distribution was far better last night.

He was pinging balls to the midfield with such ease when he was pressed.

On another day, Ivan Toney's block goes into our ball like DLC did vs Dave a few seasons ago.

Pickle85

Or literally anyone that challenges your opinion that he's very good, apparently.

Heck you even tried to claim he was the best goalkeeper on the pitch last night :lol:
I don't necessarily think he's very good but yes I do think he's better than Raya. But I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you boring my arse off about crosses claimed, expected goals conceded and long pass success rates.

Stadjer

Saves us with a great save once or twice per game but also gets us in trouble once or twice per game with shit kicking.
Seems fair but a great save prevents a goal and the trouble he causes with his kicking can still be fixed. As long as his saves prevent goals and the trouble only causes elevated heartrates and not goals im okay with it for now. I think there are some positions in the team that need to be upgraded before de Gea is taken out of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.