Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiagoal

I’ve loved what DDG has brought to the team this past decade but sadly now is time to move on. Keeping him here as first choice is untenable while him being a backup will cause all sorts of drama that wouldn’t be worth the hassle.

mikeyt

It's not just the appalling efforts on the two goals, it was throughout the match he kept booting long and giving the ball away. We cannot do that against a team like City where possession is at a premium. He made a save with his feet that was straight at him that most keepers catch, instead he knocks it back into the danger area.

I struggle to see how anyone can defend him any longer, I'm not saying we'd have one today but that basically cost us extra time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It can be unstoppable, but this one wasn't. Hence, my post. Feel free to disagree. I should have mentioned it in my initial post instead of adding it to my reply to another poster.
The point the the op made was specifically about the reference to xG as is mine. If you don’t understand that, thats ok.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The fact that De Gea has been able to talk to other teams for almost 6 months now and there hasn't been a single rumour about any club being interested in picking him up for free really does say it all.

In the last five years the only time we've conceded less than a goal a game is when we dropped him and played Henderson in goal for a few months.

Big Andy

Bloke
Lost count of how many times he booted the ball straight to City, just look at City’s reserve keeper he was so good on the ball, calm and found his man every time with short passes. Night and day to De Gea.

has to be moved on. And that’s not even going into his efforts to save either goal

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Feck all else on telly so was rewatching the first half to watch again without emotion. We actually played quite well but the biggest difference between the two teams was what happened when the keepers got on the ball. We seemed to constantly give it straight back to them, while they built attack after attack starting with their keeper.

@GifLord From 19:55 to 20:25 there’s a remarkable sequence. DDG gets the ball from a loose pass by Walker and City didn’t press high (which happened a lot in this game) Both Lindelof and Casemiro were in acres of space and DDG was under no pressure whatsoever. He was actually standing still, rolling the ball under his studs. Then, after waiting an absolute age, he did one of those floaty kicks straight down the middle which was headed directly to Haaland, who rolls his defender and fired over. From possession under no pressure to a shot at our goal, in under 10 seconds.

What I don’t understand is why he keeps choosing that option. The short pass to Lindelof looked so obvious and so easy. Why did he ignore it? Is it possible he’s under instruction to ping it long as much as possible? Because if not, his decision making in that situation was completely beyond any understanding.

Irwin99

Can't see an open thread on his contract situation but I wonder if today has changed anything, and i'm not talking about the goals we conceded. So many people have been upset because the club/manager has said that they want De Gea to stay but they're hardly like to say anything different or criticize him when we had a top 4 race and a cup final to play. Now those things are finished and I'm interested to see what will happen.

He's a legend for this club but I just can't see him being number one next season even on reduced terms.

Pogue Mahone

On a side note, the difference between the way Haaland battled to receive high balls from his keeper and Rashford’s effort in similar situation was night and fecking day. Ortega did hit a few floaty clearances himself but the City player did his best to get under the ball and retain possession. Which never happens when Rashford plays up top. But we all know Rashford’s a chocolate teapot under the high ball, which is surely even more of a reason for DDG to only go long as an absolute last resort?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Has to be the nail in the coffin for his United career

The way to recover possession from us is to mark our defenders and centre midfielders and let De Gea kick the ball. This can't be what Ten Hag wants out of his team, right? I'm staying positive and hoping Ten Hag saying he wants to keep De Gea is just a way to soften the blow for De Gea for when he's eventually let go of.

Can't see an open thread on his contract situation but I wonder if today has changed anything, and i'm not talking about the goals we conceded. So many people have been upset because the club/manager has said that they want De Gea to stay but they're hardly like to say anything different or criticize him when we had a top 4 race and a cup final to play. Now those things are finished and I'm interested to see what will happen.

He's a legend for this club but I just can't see him being number one next season even on reduced terms.

Season is barely over and already he's expressed some concerns about this.

Pogue Mahone

The way to recover possession from us is to mark our defenders and centre midfielders and let De Gea kick the ball. This can't be what Ten Hag wants out of his team, right? I'm staying positive and hoping Ten Hag saying he wants to keep De Gea is just a way to soften the blow for De Gea for when he's eventually let go of.
You don’t even need to mark our defenders. The bit which starts at 50s in that clip is what I was ranting about a few posts up the page. Look at all the space Lindelof is in. WTF?!?

Irrational.

His one saving grace was his shot-stopping ability, and he doesn’t even have that any more.

He is also rooted to the spot far too often - just like when he’s in a penalty shootout. I am convinced we’d have 2-3 more trophies if we had upgraded when the cracks were appearing.

If we want to be anywhere near the CL positions next season, he has to go.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You don’t even need to mark our defenders. The bit which starts at 50s in that clip is what I was ranting about a few posts up the page. Look at all the space Lindelof is in. WTF?!?
The bit at 1:03 also does my head in. Guy doesn't come out and collect crosses, even when they're in his 6 yard box.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

On a side note, the difference between the way Haaland battled to receive high balls from his keeper and Rashford’s effort in similar situation was night and fecking day. Ortega did hit a few floaty clearances himself but the City player did his best to get under the ball and retain possession. Which never happens when Rashford plays up top. But we all know Rashford’s a chocolate teapot under the high ball, which is surely even more of a reason for DDG to only go long as an absolute last resort?
Yup. I didn't know whether i should laugh or cry. They're currently better than us even at hoof ball tactics. In fact, at some point in the second half, they deliberately dropped deeper and Foden was introduced to chase long balls and play off Haaland. It's scary that Pep's reached the point where he's got all bases covered.

I don't think it's a tactic for De Gea to kick the ball long. More likely, something we had to live with throughout the season. It's better than forcing him to play passes he's not comfortable with and risking your goalie losing all confidence by making one error after another.

We didn't have Licha, either. Lindelof can get the pat on the back for stepping in during the final third of the season, but Martinez is the only one who can relieve a lot of pressure from our defenders when it comes to playing out from the back by assuming all responsibility and getting on the ball to play the needed passes between the lines.

GledTheRed

For such an experienced pro he doesn't half shit himself in pressure situations.

He doesn't hide it well either, looks a bag of nerves and it translates to his play.

His kicking is infuriating.

Fahad Jawaid

The first thing Pep did was chang their keeper when he joined City, specially when Joe Hart was there and he was also a starting keeper for England if I am not mistaken.

Ten Hag will lose a lot of goodwill and support from me, if after today and this season he continues to use DDG as the first choice. It actually suggests and implicates that we don't want to be a top team and dominate the ball. Where every other team who is in top half plays with a sweeper keeper and has the ability to play out passes from the back and you actually gain an advantage and it feels like you have 11 outfield players.

Utd on the other hand keep giving the ball away, what makes it even worse is, if we had a striker like Haaland who could bully CBs, it could be understood that we are using this as a tactic, whereas we had Rashford and Sancho as the most forward players today, who does not even compete for the header so it was piss poor strategy whoever thought that kicking it long against a team with 3 Cbs and two 6 feet above CMs (Rodri & Stones) against our strikers were going to win anything in the air. As a result we kept giving the ball away and could not test their defence or maintain sustained pressure. That is also one of the biggest factors of our poor away form, because we never dominate and our games are like basketball matches end to end. He has to go or become second choice, if we are to progress to top side.

KD6-3.7

Was unable to watch the game because of work but that clip of De Gea just booting the ball aimlessly up the field all the time just really sums him up along with that appalling attempt for City’s second goal, if he’s No.1 next season we may as well pack it up. I see a lot of posts saying he’s a legend but can you really say that for a player who’s probably had more bad seasons than good? He is actually costing us trophies and this final isn’t the first time.

Pogue Mahone

Arguments about whether certain players are or are not a club legend are exactly as pointless and annoying as arguments about whether a player is “over-rated” or “world class”. It’s also got no relevance whatsoever on whether DDG is worthy of the number 1 shirt next season.

Pogue Mahone

This is really hard to watch. We were always under pressure and conceded the possession almost every time DDG had the ball.
Made more annoying by City’s obvious decision to give him as much time on the ball as he wants. No point wasting a player pressing him if he’s going to kick it straight back to you regardless.

Cloud7

Surely it has to end sometime, right? He's been on the slide for a few years now but surely now at the end of his contract it has to be the end?

Not good enough on crosses or set pieces.
Not good enough on the ball.
Not good enough at coming out and sweeping.

Cloud7

Arguments about whether certain players are or are not a club legend are exactly as pointless and annoying as arguments about whether a player is “over-rated” or “world class”. It’s also got no relevance whatsoever on whether DDG is worthy of the number 1 shirt next season.
The issue with this, if you look back on this thread, is that a lot of people seem genuinely convinced that DDG is not a problem for the team

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He’s been unbelievable for the club and probably deserved to win a lot more than he did when he was at his peak, but clearly he’s our biggest hindrance to playing good football right now as well as not being the keeper he used to be. This needs to end, sadly. Love him, but he’s done, I hope.

also, I mean, he didn’t show us any loyalty when he we pushing for his Real move, so… feck it.

Oscar Bonavena

Can people stop calling the first goal "unstoppable ". It wasn't a piledriver and it was well within de Gea's reach had he dived for it. He just didn't move.

His feet were in cement for most of that game. Even through balls that he should be coming off his line to sweep up, he's glued to the f**king ground!

It's this constant making excuses for mediocrity that has been a hallmark of the club for the past decade.

As much as I can't stand Pep, I'll give him this: he doesn't make excuses for mediocrity, or hope that they "come good" even if they've let him down on multiple occasions, he just gets rid of them.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Needs to be Jim Leighton’d. Offer him 150k as a number two if you want, but a new keeper is a must this summer.

DavelinaJolie

This. It's perfectly possible to acknowledge what he did for the club in his time here whilst also acknowledge it is time to move on because he no longer suits the needs of the team. And it doesn't diminish his past accomplishments to say that he's no longer a good fit or necessarily up to it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The scope for improvement with a new keeper is potentially very big.

waza7111

Such a poor keeper in every aspect and there's absolutely no point in keeping him as a backup.

Spend big money on a modern keeper and bring in another cheaper option.

Goalkeepers don't need to be rotated anyway.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I’ve loved what DDG has brought to the team this past decade but sadly now is time to move on. Keeping him here as first choice is untenable while him being a backup will cause all sorts of drama that wouldn’t be worth the hassle.
Excellent post, not like the 'shite keeper' post, that got posted.
The guy has saved us on many many occasions, but it seems his standards are dropping, not so much in the mistakes, every keeper makes them from time to time, but for both goals, especially the first, it seemed he wasn't even set for the shot from Gundogan, for a man of his experience, he should have been primed for the save. The second one I don't think he saw until late, but he got a hand to it, but not firm enough.
Reluctantly, I think it's time for a new man between the sticks.

criticalanalysis

His feet movement or rather the lack of it for the 2nd goal is just fecking shocking. He's not moving, taking steps forward, backwards, sideways or doing ANYTHING to anticipate what the potential outcomes of that free kick could have resulted in. How he moved literally only one step to his right in that whole sequence from when the free kick is taken, to where he dives is amateurish stuff.

I'm not a keeper (I shouldn't even need to preface this because any person who has played or watched enough football can see how obvious it is) but that is just fundamentally so, so, so poor. It's mind boggling how bad it is. I mean what the feck what that little forward hopscotch before the dive? He basically gives himself no leverage to jump sideways or any physical advantage to cover all parts of the goal.

Last edited:

Pickle85

Hey, are you a real giant talking pickle? Or are you a mere mortal like the rest us who happens to enjoy the odd pickle every now and then?
Are you on acid?
He's a scientist who turned himself into a pickle

Funniest shit I've ever seen
You need to leave the house more.
Did you not watch the match? There were several times De Gea had passes available to him but instead he chose not to pass but instead hoof. I also note that you ignored my points such as selecting the correct pass and weighting the pass correctly so that the player can take minimal touches in order to progress the ball quicker both of which are independent of how well coached the team is.

I am not sure how you see things but personally, the disparity in losing possession between the two goalkeepers is too great to solely be down to the single factor that City are better drilled than us. If this were the case then that would mean if you were to put De Gea into a team well drilled playing out from the back that he would perform just as well as other keepers, no? If this were the case then he would be selected for Spain who is one of the best coached sides internationally. Or if you were to also swap the two keepers today that would mean De Gea would perform equally as well, no? If you want to talk about 'actual goalkeeping' then I don't know if you realised but distribution is one of the most key factors in modern goalkeeping.
Personally, I think you're wrong here. And yes, if you put ddg into a team as well drilled at playing from the back then I think he would perform as well as city's reserve gk did today. Are you seriously suggesting that city's reserve keeper is a better keeper than ddg?

Idxomer

The scope for improvement with a new keeper is potentially very big.

The funny thing is that the video is still missing all the instances when he refused to come out to sweep.

Irwin99

He’s been unbelievable for the club and probably deserved to win a lot more than he did when he was at his peak, but clearly he’s our biggest hindrance to playing good football right now as well as not being the keeper he used to be. This needs to end, sadly. Love him, but he’s done, I hope.

also, I mean, he didn’t show us any loyalty when he we pushing for his Real move, so… feck it.
I'm really interested to see how this plays out and if the club pull out of the contract negotiations or give a really firm offer of a reduced 'take it or leave it' salary and i'm interested to see what the fall out might be from that. Your point would be a fair response to any accusations of disrespect from the player's camp.

Edit- i don't mean stop contract negotiations on the basis of today's performance but i just wonder if we might have been dragging them along.

Status
Not open for further replies.