Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

He seemed very confident and commanding today. Also got out of his line. Very promising
Compared to usual yes but still not good enough. He probably came out like 2-3 times out of the 5-10 times the ball went deep into the box.

It's an ok performance for me. Made no mistakes, made some saves he should have saved and sat on his line a bunch also.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Punched a cross clear and I remember him leaving his box once to sweep up. Made a couple of decent saves. Long kicking was generally poor. An improvement, but still not what we need.
Fair assessment. Still never feel a hundred perfect secure with him but hope the clean sheet helps him play better.

Stadjer

Tried to sweep, came out and punched a ball and made a fine save. Decent performance but nothing special. No new ammo for the Deano crowd atleast

Classical Mechanic

Good save and since pre-season he is at least trying to sweep more (though still not enough)

But one suspects that a lot of us deciding to go long pretty much every time De Gea gets the ball is down to us having to compensate for the weaknesses of players like De Gea. If we sign a nominal 2nd choice goalkeeper this summer then I hope they're a hell of a lot better on the ball than Dave.
Yeah we've set up to mitigate his weaknesses. Surely he'll be replaced next season.

RedIan

One outstanding save and one good save. Very much saved us points today. I was happy to see him play long after so many times trying to play out from the back has cost us goals.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One outstanding save and one good save. Very much saved us points today. I was happy to see him play long after so many times trying to play out from the back has cost us goals.
Going from De Gea costing us goals by playing out from the back to De Gea costing us the ability to play out from the back so he doesn't cost us goals is only so much of an improvement though. It would be a lot easier just to have a goalkeeper who can actually handle possession and work from there.

Nick7

Good today, fair play. Seems to be getting a lot more distance on his long kicks these last two games than he used to. One moment where I was screaming at him to step out to shut down a cross, but it didn’t hurt us.

RedMistyDevil

It's taking time for him to relearn some of the stuff he has done before (like Dave himself, many seem to have forgotten that he was decent at sweeping during LvG's time), but I'm always glad to see him performing well.

One of the biggest assets De Gea has is his ability to deal with the media pressure on him. When you're the GK of Man Utd, every move gets dissected by the fans, by the media. He's dealt with that pressure well from the day he joined, I think. Brentford was a disaster, but he seems to have recovered, and I hope he keeps his performances up.

An in-form De Gea wins us points. I hope ten Hag can keep him focused all season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You can see he’s trying to improve at sweeping and commanding the box which is a welcome sight to see. He’s still quite bad with the ball at his feet and it will always affect our build up play with him in goal while he’s here, but if he can do the other parts properly he’ll at least not be a liability. Great save today as well

Oranges038

He was good.

But his lack of ability on the ball hurts the ability to retain possession. There's so many occasions where players look up to play him and he's just not there. His short and mid range passing isn't good enough.

Kicking it long most of the time can't continue, it's just going to see teams pennning them into the 18 yard box to defend because possession is being lost almost everytime he kicks it out.

largelyworried

Think we saw what will become our standard approach today with De Gea, playing out from the back when there's no press, but going long or just playing safety balls when the press is on. Southampton didn't really press high all that often today so mostly De Gea got to choose whether to pass short or go long, but on the odd occasion they went man to man with our CBs at goal kicks, I don't recall us playing any of them short and playing a high risk set of passes through the press.

Was noticeable that DDG still doesn't get involved in passing moves around the back, which is a problem. Given his passing ability, it's for the best, but it sticks out and is surely a priority for ETH in the next transfer window.

Alemar

Made a great save today, also once made a decent punch of the ball after a cross. Minimal number of short passes from him - so he is trying to limit his deficiencies at least.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
More positively, early signs that he's at least working on sweeping more. Below are his average defensive actions outside the box per 90.

17/18 - 0.35
18/19 - 0.26
19/20 - 0.29
20/21 - 0.35
21/22 - 0.24
22/23 - 0.50

Still extremely early obviously as we're only four games in but I'd say the increase in his willingness to sweep is backed by the eye-test too, even in pre-season. If he's going to improve on any of his weaknesses, this is probably the one.

Olecurls99

More positively, early signs that he's at least working on sweeping more. Below are his average defensive actions outside the box per 90.

17/18 - 0.35
18/19 - 0.26
19/20 - 0.29
20/21 - 0.35
21/22 - 0.24
22/23 - 0.50

Still extremely early obviously as we're only four games in but I'd say the increase in his willingness to sweep is backed by the eye-test too, even in pre-season. If he's going to improve on any of his weaknesses, this is probably the one.
Definitely trying more. There is a downside to it. Sometimes keepers get it wrong and concede silly goals from coming out. Lisandro bailed him out at the weekend.

Longshanks

He is trying to sweep more, but he really isn't natural at it and it looks very forced. Will see when we decide to play a high line again but his natural instinct is still backwards rather than forwards.

Can't play out from the back with him meaning we need a decent target man (we dont have one) and some good scrappers in midfield to have any hope of getting control of matches. His long kicks are pretty poor anyway so that dosent help either.

Limited GK that is gonna limit the way we play.

Lyng

He is trying to sweep more, but he really isn't natural at it and it looks very forced. Will see when we decide to play a high line again but his natural instinct is still backwards rather than forwards.

Can't play out from the back with him meaning we need a decent target man (we dont have one) and some good scrappers in midfield to have any hope of getting control of matches. His long kicks are pretty poor anyway so that dosent help either.

Limited GK that is gonna limit the way we play.
That's why Dubravka is such a sensible signing. He is like the polar opposite of Dave, which means we can use different styles of keeper depending on what teams we meet and how we want to play in a particular match.

Leicester 0:1 Man Utd

Alemar

Good clean sheet. Saved a difficult free kick, but didn’t have much else to do shot stopping wise. Played several good passes between the lines, but Mostly distributed it long with rather poor accuracy.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Possession waster. We'll never get to play Ten Hag intended football with him between the stick. Every pass back to him was an automatic possession loss.

el3mel

He has been pretty good these last 2 games. Brentford game was awful alright, but he played a big part in our comeback since then.

arnie_ni

Good clean sheet. Saved a difficult free kick, but didn’t have much else to do shot stopping wise. Played several good passes between the lines, but Mostly distributed it long with rather poor accuracy.
He played some good passes into mct and eriksen so he definitely has the ability to do it. He just doesn't trust himself.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Possession waster. We'll never get to play Ten Hag intended football with him between the stick. Every pass back to him was an automatic possession loss.
I dunno, felt like we picked up a lot of second balls because of them... Basically got us in possession higher up the pitch. Especially in the first half.

mu4c_20le

That was a match winning save

Castia

I love De Gea and I’ve not been one of those fans constantly on his back but we really need to start passing out from the back. Every goal kick is a 60 yard hoof giving away possession time after time.

Eddy_JukeZ

His distribution is awful, and there were a few times he could have played it short, but still booted it.

Excellent save for the Maddison FK.

kundalini

One super save from their free-kick. Distribution was hopeless again, just gives it away with long balls aimed at no-one.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah not enough people realize this when moaning about how we aren't keeping the ball well. Watch how Liverpool and City are able to dominate games by having a keeper that acts as a true 11th player on the pitch with the ball at his feet, and compare it to us when we are forced to play the ball back to the keeper. It's night and day, and it's the reason Pep binned off Joe Hart for Bravo instantly upon arriving even though Bravo was a piss poor shot stopper (even Ederson himself isn't the greatest shot stopper tbh).

Ace of Spades

Yeah, but still I prefer he keeps launching them up the field than try to play out from the back and mess it up as he is not good at it.

An actual ball playing keeper will be needed obviously.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
If he is still our GK next season, I will eat my hat.

The only reason he’s still here is because we had other priorities to sort out, his distribution is unforgivably bad. Every single time it’s free possession for the opposition.

caid

I'd be more critical of the long kicks if we weren't picking up so many 2nd balls from them. Thought it was a decent performance. Or at least as good as I'd hope for from him. Needs to be replaced but reasonably confident he'll do a job for us this year.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Shit goal kicks but other than that I'm satisfied.

It seems ten hag has given up on him playing short passes from the back and has just told him to punt it up whenever he gets it.

I think we'll replace him next summer .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah, his distribution is going to cause systemic problems all season as it limits how we can play as a team.

But we are where we are I guess, unless Dubravka turns out to be a lot better than I think he is.

Just hoping De Gea has a decent shotstopping season, keeps the mistakes to a minimum, keeps working on improving his sweeping and above all else has less to do than last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.