Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwards6

I’m out of the loop on this one, but if his contract ends at the end of June and the club have an option for the next year, I would assume that year is going to be at the current wages. So this contract extension is effective starting July 2023 or July 2024? Also do we know if this optional year has been exercised or not?
We haven't given him the 1 year extension that was optional so if he signs a new contract it's from July 2023

RuudTom83

This situation is easy picking for any journalist to write whatever they like...none of us will actually know what when happened and when.

You could easily just blame modern footballers with their management teams and agents, nothing is ever as simple as the Cafe likes to make out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It definitely wouldn't happen at Man City under the ownership of Sheikh Mansour.

Zoo

Daniel Taylor loves slamming United. Has been doing it for years

evil_geko

Not sure what you mean. EtH has been here a year and DDG had a year left on his contract. The club clearly didn't want to renew at his silly salary and EtH probably didn't know if he could use DDG or get him to adapt to the style he wanted. Telling him to sling his hook mid-season probably wouldn't have been a good decision. Withdrawing the offer probably wouldn't have been a good decision.

I think they were in a shitty place and hoped that DDG would give them an out by not agreeing to the contract. He didn't.

We have paid him a kings ransom for those years. Lets not get carried away. As I stated, we wouldn't have offered him nearly £400k/week off our own backs. He took us to the cleaners with his last contract. I agree that its been a complete mess though.
Even if we paid him 1 million a week, that is clubs mistake to offer that, not his fault. Treating him like this in the end after so many years in the club is idiotic, simple as that. Just release him and move on at this point, it is embarrassing on the clubs end.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m out of the loop on this one, but if his contract ends at the end of June and the club have an option for the next year, I would assume that year is going to be at the current wages. So this contract extension is effective starting July 2023 or July 2024? Also do we know if this optional year has been exercised or not?
You’re correct that the extension would be at his current wages. It was a unilateral extension the club held, and they haven’t exercised that option.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
As much as I want United to sign a top keeper this summer, I think that agreeing with him terms and coming back on even lower terms for him is not acceptable.

I mean we should have been less sentimental and be like Bayern straight to him.

He is not the best in the world, but spent 12 years and should be shown a bit more respect.

quadrant

I'm not too fussed about the fairness of the situation. We made him the worlds highest paid player in his position and kept him for five seasons of poor form. I think we've shown plenty enough loyalty. At most big clubs he'd have gone a couple of seasons back.

I'm more worried about the lack of clarity from the club about what we want. It suggests either muddled thinking, or possibly decision makers who don't agree with each other. We should have waited until the end of the season to even start negotiating.

mctrials23

I'm not sure what your point is regarding his previous contract. He and his agent negotiated a suitable contract for him, we didn't need to offer him such a high wage, that was the club's decision, they could have easily offered him what they thought and left it at that and sold him if they didnt want to go any further. No point say he took us to the cleaners, the club wasn't forced into anything, it decided to offer these wages. Other clubs have a ceiling and stick to that.
Oh I know. That was more pointing towards the people suggesting that his time at the club shows loyalty as opposed to him just being on an obscene contract for a GK. Players are never paid what a club is unwilling to pay.

UpWithRivers

People crack me up. There is only 2 possibilities to the De Gea situation -

1) Arnold, Ten Haag, the scout team etc are in daily discussions and have come to a joint decision on what they want for the goalkeeper. As a result of FFP or finances or Ten Haags choices or whatever they decided that the best for the club would be to offer De Gea a contract that was less than originally offered because its best for the club. It was unforeseen and they didn't feel good doing it but things change rapidly in the transfer window and it couldn't be helped.
OR
2) Richard Arnold and the Glaziers are dicks and waited for De Gea to go on holiday. Then ripped up his contract and laughed themselves silly over fine wine and cheese. Everyone in the club can see they are being a dicks but wont do anything about it.

Fans and fan channels are pushing option 2 and wont even consider 1 being a possibility. Why? Because its not conspiracy/interesting enough

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
So you’re saying that Ten Hag shouldn’t have given De Gea the opportunity to show he could learn to adapt to a new system and came in and shown him the door right away? Ten Hag wanted a keeper last summer. We were linked.
There's a lot of alternatives to what actually happened. Don't offer him a deal so soon? If he knew last summer and actually wanted a keeper last summer, as you claim, then why did we make the offer? You're defeating your own logic.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People crack me up. There is only 2 possibilities to the De Gea situation -

1) Arnold, Ten Haag, the scout team etc are in daily discussions and have come to a joint decision on what they want for the goalkeeper. As a result of FFP or finances or Ten Haags choices or whatever they decided that the best for the club would be to offer De Gea a contract that was less than originally offered because its best for the club. It was unforeseen and they didn't feel good doing it but things change rapidly in the transfer window and it couldn't be helped.
OR
2) Richard Arnold and the Glaziers are dicks and waited for De Gea to go on holiday. Then ripped up his contract and laughed themselves silly over fine wine and cheese. Everyone in the club can see they are being a dicks but wont do anything about it.

Fans and fan channels are pushing option 2 and wont even consider 1 being a possibility. Why? Because its not conspiracy/interesting enough
Yeah those aren’t the only two possibilities…

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Starting to lose the respect towards Athletic. You don't bring City in that conversation and it can be any club for that matter.

Yes, we handled it poorly but it's not like it no one saw it coming. United made the right decision albeit bit late. Yes , feel sorry for DDG but he should have been the first one to see this coming .
375k pw for years and still was making rookie mistakes . At City Pep would have thrown him out many years back.

Crimson King

Starting to lose the respect towards Athletic. You don't bring City in that conversation and it can be any club for that matter.

Yes, we handled it poorly but it's not like it no one saw it coming. United made the right decision albeit bit late. Yes , feel sorry for DDG but he should have been the first one to see this coming .
375k pw for years and still was making rookie mistakes . At City Pep would have thrown him out many years back.
It's also taking the piss comparing any club to one that is facing all the financial rule breaking that City are. And not for the first time.

Adamsk7

Blimey I don’t understand some of the takes here. DDG has been with us 12 years and does deserve some respect. What that respect looks like doesn’t have to be much, just an acknowledgement of the fact that ETH wants to move in a different way and then allowing him to move on for free.

What we’ve done is asked him to sign a new contract on a reduced fee, which regardless of the stupid money he was on, is farcical. If any of us were asked to take a pay cut in our jobs we’d feel like absolute shit. Then he goes and accepts it and we then go “no actually we are gonna retract that and offer you even less”

Whether you want him to stay or go (personally I think he’s the least of our worries and would have kept him and spent the money where it’s actually needed) the human factor here is just out of line. Yes we need to be ruthless but you can do that and remain classy. Players looking at this will not want to sign for us if this is how we treat people (yes people, not a commodity).

Now of course, all that I’ve written there has a huge caveat - if reports can be believed. Who knows how they are manipulating the truth. However most of the reports of our crappy dealings does tend to come out as being true unfortunately

Aint gota Kalou

The most important thing is that the correct decision is seemingly being made. He should only be second choice next season

lex talionis

Blimey I don’t understand some of the takes here. DDG has been with us 12 years and does deserve some respect. What that respect looks like doesn’t have to be much, just an acknowledgement of the fact that ETH wants to move in a different way and then allowing him to move on for free.

What we’ve done is asked him to sign a new contract on a reduced fee, which regardless of the stupid money he was on, is farcical. If any of us were asked to take a pay cut in our jobs we’d feel like absolute shit. Then he goes and accepts it and we then go “no actually we are gonna retract that and offer you even less”

Whether you want him to stay or go (personally I think he’s the least of our worries and would have kept him and spent the money where it’s actually needed) the human factor here is just out of line. Yes we need to be ruthless but you can do that and remain classy. Players looking at this will not want to sign for us if this is how we treat people (yes people, not a commodity).

Now of course, all that I’ve written there has a huge caveat - if reports can be believed. Who knows how they are manipulating the truth. However most of the reports of our crappy dealings does tend to come out as being true unfortunately
Quite true, that what we’re reacting to are reports that may or may not be a factually true representation of what has actually happened.

If it is true that the club made an offer to a player, in this case to an existing member of the squad, but withdrew its offer once the player accepted it, that is fukking appalling behavior by the club.

But we cannot know whether this actually happened.

Kaos

The most important thing is that the correct decision is seemingly being made. He should only be second choice next season
He should be at another club really. Doesn't make sense for him to be second choice either since he doesn't suit our proposed playstyle. Better off buying a cheap second choice keeper who's decent on the ball. Heck even City's Ortega as second choice seemed a better keeper.

Trex

He stayed at united all this years because of the crazy wages he got the club to pay him. He being the only half decent player over multiple seasons in the LVG/ Mourinho era meant he could hold the club to ransom. Now he doesn't have the same leverage, he's subject to what the club wants. He is no victim it's just business as usual.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He stayed at united all this years because of the crazy wages he got the club to pay him. He being the only half decent player over multiple seasons in the LVG/ Mourinho era meant he could hold the club to ransom. Now he doesn't have the same leverage, he's subject to what the club wants. He is no victim it's just business as usual.
United fans can be really weird. All the moaning how we overpay, hold on to players for too long, aren’t smart on the transfer market, etc. But at the same time they adore failed club record signings and / or players on insane wages such as Mata or DdG. Mata at times hardly played and DdG won some awards because everyone else was below average. He also almost left and only signed a contract when 375 k were offered to him.
I don’t think his fans realise how much money this is for someone like him. 375 k every week for several years for a bang average keeper. 375 k!! Looks like this is enough nowadays to adore United players.

Then you have someone like Dan James who we bought for peanuts, who always gave his best, never moaned or complained, was on reasonable/low wages, throughout his time with us other clubs wanted to sign him, we then sold him for a profit. But still absolutely no love lost for players like him.

GBBQ

I think the Athletic article is fair enough. They say that United are right to have doubts about DDG but that the contract offer should always have been what we’re about to offer. They even think DDG will accept it too. Just it doesn’t reflect well on them operating in this way

Infestissumam

bringing "City wouldn't do this" to the table is laughable, but United absolutely deserve to be slammed for this.

IRELANDUNITED

Don’t blame him for being tired of this, the way the club has handled this is disgusting. He clearly wants to stay. Either offer him a contract or tell him he’s no longer wanted. Disgraceful behaviour from the club.

RVN1991

United fans can be really weird. All the moaning how we overpay, hold on to players for too long, aren’t smart on the transfer market, etc. But at the same time they adore failed club record signings and / or players on insane wages such as Mata or DdG. Mata at times hardly played and DdG won some awards because everyone else was below average. He also almost left and only signed a contract when 375 k were offered to him.
I don’t think his fans realise how much money this is for someone like him. 375 k every week for several years for a bang average keeper. 375 k!! Looks like this is enough nowadays to adore United players.

Then you have someone like Dan James who we bought for peanuts, who always gave his best, never moaned or complained, was on reasonable/low wages, throughout his time with us other clubs wanted to sign him, we then sold him for a profit. But still absolutely no love lost for players like him.
He was the best GK in the league for about 5 years, and the only reason he was due those crazy wages was because absolute dog shit pathetic players like Sanchez were on crazy money for doing absolutely nothing while he at least was among the best players in his position in the world.

:lol: Dan James was here for like a season and did nothing of note, weird to compare him to a player who has been here for a decade plus and has been the best player for a large part of that time. Cringe comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.