Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
United fans can be really weird. All the moaning how we overpay, hold on to players for too long, aren’t smart on the transfer market, etc. But at the same time they adore failed club record signings and / or players on insane wages such as Mata or DdG. Mata at times hardly played and DdG won some awards because everyone else was below average. He also almost left and only signed a contract when 375 k were offered to him.
I don’t think his fans realise how much money this is for someone like him. 375 k every week for several years for a bang average keeper. 375 k!! Looks like this is enough nowadays to adore United players.

Then you have someone like Dan James who we bought for peanuts, who always gave his best, never moaned or complained, was on reasonable/low wages, throughout his time with us other clubs wanted to sign him, we then sold him for a profit. But still absolutely no love lost for players like him.
Yes it's strange that the player with the 7th most appearances in the club's history is viewed differently to Dan James.

Infestissumam

Agree but we need to be ruthless.
I'm all for being ruthless when it comes to making squad decisions, but this isn't being ruthless, it's just pathetic ... and it all comes back to being not decisive enough. We should have made a decision regarding De Gea a long time ago, yet still seem unsure about whether keeping him or letting him go. Sad stuff.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve personally wanted rid for some while so from a playing perspective would be happy to see him leave but if we’ve d.cked around with these negotiations & not allowed the fans to say goodbye I’ll be very disappointed.

Crap now or not, he’s been here what 12 years, yes his form fell off a cliff to end the season but we’ve known all season he’s not a keeper for the long term.
We should have dealt with this very differently.

Don’t blame him for being tired of this, the way the club has handled this is disgusting. He clearly wants to stay. Either offer him a contract or tell him he’s no longer wanted. Disgraceful behaviour from the club.
Are we pretending he and his agent wouldn’t have any discussions with the club and just assumed we’d take the option to extend his contract on his silly wage:confused:

Kammy26

Obviously wouldn’t happen at shitty bc they don’t keep under performing players on fat cat contracts.Pep would have binned DDG like he did Hart.

We are just a soft sentimental joke of a club and have been for 15 plus years.

Castia

My worst fear for the summer is DDG signing a new deal

We’re going absolutely nowhere if Dave is still #1 next season

samlee86

United fans can be really weird. All the moaning how we overpay, hold on to players for too long, aren’t smart on the transfer market, etc. But at the same time they adore failed club record signings and / or players on insane wages such as Mata or DdG. Mata at times hardly played and DdG won some awards because everyone else was below average. He also almost left and only signed a contract when 375 k were offered to him.
I don’t think his fans realise how much money this is for someone like him. 375 k every week for several years for a bang average keeper. 375 k!! Looks like this is enough nowadays to adore United players.

Then you have someone like Dan James who we bought for peanuts, who always gave his best, never moaned or complained, was on reasonable/low wages, throughout his time with us other clubs wanted to sign him, we then sold him for a profit. But still absolutely no love lost for players like him.
Fans now a days support players as much as clubs. They follow them on social media so they feel like they “know them”. A post of DDG on holiday with his missues is as enjoyable to them as watching United score a goal. It’s a new kind of fandom.

The guy was the highest paid goalkeeper in history for the past 5 years, despite not even being in the top 10 keepers in the league.

If Barca or Madrid had shown interest in him then does anyone think he would have shown us any loyalty.

Nogbadthebad

Agree but we need to be ruthless.
Being ruthless would be telling him we no longer need him in the squad.

Offering him a contract, then changing it after it was accepted, is being a dick. Deliberately. Whether it was ten hag or anyone else, they are unprofessional idiots.

MUFC OK

Obviously wouldn’t happen at shitty bc they don’t keep under performing players on fat cat contracts.Pep would have binned DDG like he did Hart.

We are just a soft sentimental joke of a club and have been for 15 plus years.
Lost me at comparing Hart to DDG.

crossy1686

career ending
Being ruthless would be telling him we no longer need him in the squad.

Offering him a contract, then changing it after it was accepted, is being a dick. Deliberately. Whether it was ten hag or anyone else, they are unprofessional idiots.
What if he signs it and he's happy to be our number 2?

crossy1686

career ending
Just because your dog is older and can't fetch as well as he used to, it doesn't mean you want to see him put down.
Now imagine your dog was a guard dog and every time you went out of the house he welcomed burglars into your home and told them where all your valuables were.

You wouldn't want to see him put down but you'd retire the bastard instantly.

gajender

My cynical take most probably he is leaving for Saudi league just leaked this to make it seem like he wanted to stay at United but was dicked around so choose to leave .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The pretty obvious problem with the comparison to Hart at City is that we're still offering De Gea a contract.

This isn't a case of us ditching someone who isn't good enough, which would be absolutely fine. It's a case of us fecking around with contract offers for someone who isn't good enough, in a way the person who isn't good enough should be irked by.

Crimson King

I'm not sure I agree with this. We don't know the full details, but we do know this wage reduction was being negotiated for a long time. Say DDG only recently agreed to the reduction we'd put in front of him, and since that offer he had a poor end to the season, does he still deserve it? He's been earning way more than he's worth for a long time now.

Despite what he's said publicly, I don't think EtH has ever been convinced by him. It's similar to when Pep arrived at City. He straight up told Hart he was done there because he can't play the way Pep wants his GKs to play. Our situation meant we couldn't just jettison DDG, and instead EtH had to adapt how he'd prefer the team to play. On the most part it worked, but DDG's lack of ability to play out from the back and how it was a detriment to the team really became evident towards the end of the season. Especially after Martinez was injured, as he'd done a great job in covering this part of DDG's game with his own excellent ability of playing out from defence.

I can envision a situation where EtH said to those in charge of recruitment that he needs a new #1, and that DDG would have to be second choice and fight for his place. Now you have a situation where DDG is willing to accept a wage that would still be in line with what our first choice would earn, so it would make sense that they would then change that offer. Brutal, for sure, but it's exactly the same thing DDG and his agent did to the club when he was our best player by a mile and we were desperate to keep him.

There's two sides to every story, and DDG's camp are obviously going to push the mistreatment angle and the club is being unprofessional. The club are going to say it's just business, DDG isn't going to be a guaranteed starter next season and had a poor game in the FA cup final. He doesn't deserve that wage offer anymore.

Like most things in life, the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle of those two viewpoints.

Personally, I hope he leaves and we sign a GK more suited to how we want to play, like Onana. DDG has been a great servant, but his golden glove last season was far more to do with us actually being a well structured team (barring a few humbling anomalies) when everyone was fit and firing, not his own goalkeeping prowess.

crossy1686

career ending
My cynical take most probably he is leaving for Saudi league just leaked this to make it seem like he wanted to stay at United but was dicked around so choose to leave .
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he did that also, and I wouldn't blame him, he should take that offer if its on the table.

Sylar

He's going to renew ... :nervous:
Even as a number two, that isn't good for us moving forward.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yes it's strange that the player with the 7th most appearances in the club's history is viewed differently to Dan James.
Yep and if he continues for a few more years he will be even higher on our appearance list :drool: such a huge legend!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was the best GK in the league for about 5 years, and the only reason he was due those crazy wages was because absolute dog shit pathetic players like Sanchez were on crazy money for doing absolutely nothing while he at least was among the best players in his position in the world.

:lol: Dan James was here for like a season and did nothing of note, weird to compare him to a player who has been here for a decade plus and has been the best player for a large part of that time. Cringe comparison.
He won a league title 10 years ago. That’s it. In the last few years he has been stealing a living. I wish we had Luis Enrique as manager in all those years. Then DdG would have been gone ages ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De Gea definitely leaked it imo because one of the journalists who put his name on the The Athletic article is Guillermo Rai, who is based in Madrid.

RVN1991

He won a league title 10 years ago. That’s it. In the last few years he has been stealing a living. I wish we had Luis Enrique as manager in all those years. Then DdG would have been gone ages ago.
Him and Jones (Who's literally been stealing a living at the club) are the only PL winners in the squad btw.

Done arguing with fools. Your posts keep getting more idiotic and you're clearly obsessed with the man going as far as looking at past games to catch mistakes. Good thing he's almost gone.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
200k a week or whatever it is is still absolutely crazy for a #2 that doesn’t play the way the manager wants. Protecting the value? He won’t get near the same wages, he won’t get 200k or even close a week anywhere else in Europe. It’s a dick move from the club but it makes sense if we are going to be more ruthless with players contracts going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.