Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

It's a shame it looks like it's ended like this but not a surprise because we really are an appallingly ran club.

That said, although I'm not happy with how we've got there the fact is I think it's a big positive it looks like he's off.

He's not good enough for Utd anymore and he hasn't been for years. I think his terrible end to the season convinced Ten Hag of that. Hopefully we get a new keeper in and De Gea moves on. Makes zero sense to have him here as a number 2.

Djemba-Djemba

11-13 Under Fergie- Fairly dodgy overall but by the end of Fergie's last season he had improved a lot and we started to see his potential.

13-18 Under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho - Often our best player. Made some astonishing saves and was very consistent, under Mourinho in particular he was ludicrous. The season we finished 2nd in 17-8 our good defensive record was almost entirely down to him. Still not very good with the ball at his feet or coming off his line but more than made up for it with his shot stopping.

19-23 Under Ole and ETH - Quite frankly a liability. Zero improvement with the ball at his feet and coming off his line but now coupled with consistent terrible mistakes and the number of wonder saves heavily reduced. Also seemed to develop a habit of saving his worst for the biggest most important games, cup semi finals and finals, big European fixtures etc. All this while being by far the highest paid keeper in the world.

I think that's a fair assessment.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
11-13 Under Fergie- Fairly dodgy overall but by the end of Fergie's last season he had improved a lot and we started to see his potential.

13-18 Under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho - Often our best player. Made some astonishing saves and was very consistent, under Mourinho in particular he was ludicrous. The season we finished 2nd in 17-8 our good defensive record was almost entirely down to him. Still not very good with the ball at his feet or coming off his line but more than made up for it with his shot stopping.

19-23 Under Ole and ETH - Quite frankly a liability. Zero improvement with the ball at his feet and coming off his line but now coupled with consistent terrible mistakes and the number of wonder saves heavily reduced. Also seemed to develop a habit of saving his worst for the biggest most important games, cup semi finals and finals, big European fixtures etc. All this while being by far the highest paid keeper in the world.

Very fair, you've got it pretty much spot-on. The only thing I can't remember for sure is how he was in his second season, so I'm not certain if he was still dodgy as you said here. I had a general recollection of him already being very good that year but could easily be wrong. Otherwise you are quite clearly correct with how you've listed them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Very fair, you've got it pretty much spot-on. The only thing I can't remember for sure is how he was in his second season, so I'm not certain if he was still dodgy as you said here. I had a general recollection of him already being very good that year but could easily be wrong. Otherwise you are quite clearly correct with how you've listed them.
Pretty sure he was in the PL team of the year in his second season, so obviously the general perception at the time was in line with yours.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Time to let the boat sail. We need some fresh air between our posts, specially if without a ball playing GK ETH ideas are not being totally implemented.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Oh you forgot when he held us to ransom over his last renewal and we buckled. He was ready to walk for free we had to offer him £375 after already been on £250k. He wasn’t getting that anywhere else but we didn’t call him bluff.

I have no sympathy for him he cares as much as we care about him. Don’t get sucked in.
I completely agree. If we had done this with a loyal player who clearly loved playing for the club then I would be disappointed in the club. But this is a man who didn't want to be here and then only stayed if we paid him a fortune. If you play with feathers, you get your arse tickled.

Born2Lose

What a joke it is that the highest paid keeper in world football has run his contract down to the last day, with no big clubs interested in taking him on a free.

Oranges038

What a joke it is that the highest paid keeper in world football has run his contract down to the last day, with no big clubs interested in taking him on a free.
Aye, but in a couple of weeks, interested clubs will know he has no Utd to fall back on.

Can then offer him about 100k a week take it or leave it.

Andy_Cole

There’s that saying. Die a hero or live long enough to become the villain. De Gea has become a bit of a joke, which is a shame as he was unreal up to maybe that 2017/18 season.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah I did it off the top of my head but I seem to remember the 12/13 season he was still in and out of the team for the first half of the season I think. I remember being at a 4-3 win vs Newcastle around Xmas and he was dodgy in that game. I think the 2nd half of the season he was good though and by the end he was turning into the world class keeper we'd see for the next 5 years.

NLunited

I completely agree. If we had done this with a loyal player who clearly loved playing for the club then I would be disappointed in the club. But this is a man who didn't want to be here and then only stayed if we paid him a fortune. If you play with feathers, you get your arse tickled.
Is that a saying or did you make that up?

Sylar

This is mostly fair imo.

I think he dropped a few clangers in 13-18 in cup ties like the second leg v Sunderland in the semi final or under Jose like that sevilla second leg in the last 16. But I don't expect any keeper to be error free

But his positives outweighed his negatives, and he was superb with his reactions and making saves that weren't expected (arsenal and spurs away seem to come to mind where he was over worked but I think spurs might have been under Ole)

I think high pressured situations were not for him and he shrunk mostly during his tenure here, but produced some great moments. Think his Mata save from the free kick against Chelsea was maybe his best one for me.

Djemba-Djemba

This is mostly fair imo.

I think he dropped a few clangers in 13-18 in cup ties like the second leg v Sunderland in the semi final or under Jose like that sevilla second leg in the last 16. But I don't expect any keeper to be error free

But his positives outweighed his negatives, and he was superb with his reactions and making saves that weren't expected (arsenal and spurs away seem to come to mind where he was over worked but I think spurs might have been under Ole)

I think high pressured situations were not for him and he shrunk mostly during his tenure here, but produced some great moments. Think his Mata save from the free kick against Chelsea was maybe his best one for me.
I think his best save was one that sadly a lot of people have forgotten because it came in a game we lost badly anyway.

But the 3-0 home defeat to Liverpool in 2014 under Moyes, he makes an absolutely absurd save from Suarez at one point from point blank range.

Thanks De Gea but bye.

Since 2018 you have been distinctly average, costing us in big game after big game, rooted to your goal line, causing panic in our back line with balls over the top with non existent sweeping and only what can be described as complete negligence with dealing with set pieces.

Thank you for 2013 to 2018 but it’s time to go. I’m happy.

Irwin99

Very fair i think. You could see in the 12-13 season he was becoming a really really good goalkeeper and his performance away to Real Madrid was fantastic iirc.

A United legend undoubtedly but the last few years have been tough to witness considering his wage and declining ability.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

LVG was really good for him, his decline started when he left.

united for life

It's a shame it looks like it's ended like this but not a surprise because we really are an appallingly ran club.

That said, although I'm not happy with how we've got there the fact is I think it's a big positive it looks like he's off.

He's not good enough for Utd anymore and he hasn't been for years. I think his terrible end to the season convinced Ten Hag of that. Hopefully we get a new keeper in and De Gea moves on. Makes zero sense to have him here as a number 2.
exactly my thought at the moment. The club statement is a shame as well. Contract ended but discussions still happening. Did they just realise the GK situation needed attention? This is embarrassing

KjaAnd

IMO this is a very fair assessment of his time with us. It is possible to appreciate his great performances for us while acknowledging that we should have moved on from him several years ago.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People know nothing is gonna happen when his contract runs out, right? It isn't a hard deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.