Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshanks

Much higher starting position and some good composed distribution, but that is the is the minimum you would expect from your GK when your so dominant against a team like last night's opponents.

Let's see if he is equally brave and composed in the next few games when the pressure will be much more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well there you go. He really wasn’t much better under Van Gaal.

Obviously way too early to conclude that ETH can fix what has always been broken. Still, though, I’m liking what I’ve seen in the last two games. The really stand out difference to me has been how much more willing he is to keep the ball on the deck. Makes such a difference to our ability to play the ball out from the back. Lofted passes are slower and harder to control. So even if they’re accurate (and his often aren’t) the receiver is fighting an uphill battle as soon as they touch the ball.
We indulged him for too long where he was afforded the luxury of having his own goal keeping coach for several years. And ten Hag will demand him to do things which the likes of LVG, Mourinho and Ole didn't due to a difference in approach to the game and that should improve him somewhat. But I think if we're honest, he isn't good enough in comparison to keepers at other top clubs and i'm hoping once we're in a position to bring in a proactive keeper with a well rounded skillset, he will be phased out so we can then evolve as a football team. Luis Enrique the Spain head coach identified him as a weak link and moved him on pretty quickly due to him not being a fit for the way Luis Enrique wants his team to play.

In my life time of watching United, Schmeichel and Van der Sar are two keepers who stand head and shoulders above the rest. And that isn't because of their shot-stopping ability but rather to do with their ability to impose themselves in their area which relieved pressure on the back-line.

CloneMC16

He was bang average even under LVG and the eye test along with the stats back that up.

Yeah, this is basically what I remember. De Gea has always been absolutely terrible when it comes to cross claiming and distribution. His sweeping was a little better under LVG.

His sweeping has been a lot better in the last two games, but that shouldn't change anything. United shouldn't be hoping that he can develop the weak areas of his game at 31. It's not happening. A keeper that dominates his box and can play lofted passes over the press will massively improve our team.

PoTMS

Is it possible for him to break the appearance record for a United keeper this season? If so, hopefully he does it - then he can get swiftly moved on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is it possible for him to break the appearance record for a United keeper this season? If so, hopefully he does it - then he can get swiftly moved on.
Assuming he plays every league game that will leave him on 529 by my count. Stepney has 539. So will De Gea get another 11 apperances from all cup competitions?

Man Utd 0:0 Newcastle

Irwin99

Clean sheet on your 500th appearance. Nice one Dave!

Whether you think he's good enough or not for the way we want to play no one can deny that 500 appearances for United is an impressive achievement.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hope he manages to break the record for goalkeeper appearances this season, which I think is possible if we have runs in some cups?

And then I hope he is replaced next season.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He really pisses me off.

Every cross or corner into our box is a dangerous one, and that's because it's inside the 6 yard box, which should be goalkeeper's territory, but DdG is content seeing it come in and stick to his line. It's so unnecessary and puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on our backline.

Can't wait for us to replace him with someone proactive and not afraid of coming off his line. There's some excellent gettable keepers around - Jose Sa, Robert Sanchez, Diogo Costa. Get one of these guys in and you'll see a massive uptick in the number of chances and goals we concede.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His slow distribution costs us many counter attack chances.
Always been a massive pet peeve of mine. He always apologises after hanging onto the ball for the 30th time in the game.

Based Adnan

Small enough of a team as it is compounded by the fact our GK is stuck to his line when balls are whipped into the 6 yard area

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I can accept his slow distribution but his inability to pick a considered pass when faced with a high pressing line is shocking. He often opts to belt it with the hope that it reaches a United player further forward.

This means that our formation is constantly being stretched to adapt and we struggle to cohesively counter.

I hope we don’t extend his contract. He is a great shot stopper but that isn’t enough on modern football.

croadyman

Board use your brains and make him earn a new deal,need to see significant improvement in distribution and command of area

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I can accept his slow distribution but his inability to pick a considered pass when faced with a high pressing line is shocking. He often opts to belt it with the hope that it reaches a United player further forward.

This means that our formation is constantly being stretched to adapt and we struggle to cohesively counter.

I hope we don’t extend his contract. He is a great shot stopper but that isn’t enough on modern football.
He has all the flaws you mention and I'd say even his shot stopping is over rated now. Take the chance Joelintion had yesterday where he hit the bar then the post. Look at de geas reaction to the second shot. He's just not good enough.

JeffFromHK

He has all the flaws you mention and I'd say even his shot stopping is over rated now. Take the chance Joelintion had yesterday where he hit the bar then the post. Look at de geas reaction to the second shot. He's just not good enough.
I saw statistics that in terms of shot-saving ability, he was just around the average among the 20 EPL starting goalkeepers.
Combined with his other attributes, he may easily be one of the bottom 5 starting goalkeepers in EPL right now.

The United

It seems that he is trying hard right now to win a new contract. But if this is the best he can do while he will only be declining from now on, I think the decision should be clear for our management.

Five more year contact with 500K a week incoming.

Foxbatt

It seems to some people that all our troubles are because DeGea cannot catch a cross and he can't pass from the box to save his life.
It's BS. Most of our outfield players can't hold the ball and cannot string three passes and our strikers can't hit a barn door.

CloneMC16

It seems to some people that all our troubles are because DeGea cannot catch a cross and he can't pass from the box to save his life.
It's BS. Most of our outfield players can't hold the ball and cannot string three passes and our strikers can't hit a barn door.
We have problems all over the pitch, but this is De Gea's thread. The weaknesses of De Gea are damaging to the team, but he is obviously not the only issue. We're going to discuss his weaknesses in his thread.

De Gea refusing to catch crosses puts the defence under more pressure. Teams are far more likely to create chances and score against us if De Gea won't come out and catch crosses. He is bottom percentile in the top European leagues for crosses stopped. For the best paid keeper in world football, that is unreal. This has been one of De Gea's biggest issues since joining the club. He has never improved.

Even though it wouldn't be optimal, I could accept a keeper with weaker ball skills if he dominated his box. De Gea doesn't and has deficiencies in too many areas of goalkeeping. I will say that he has clearly been trying to sweep more often. Over the past couple games, he's come out and intercepted passes he never would have prior to this season.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Will lose all my trust in EtH and the club structure if his contract is renewed, please move him on.

Sellddg

He is one of the worst GK's in Prem for the last five seasons and he should already have departed. If his contract is renewed (he will get a pay rise like they raised Pogba's contract to 300k/week even though the virus wanted even more and left for Juve) I'll be Ten Hag out.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he stays, I can't imagine we trigger the option. Surely he's massively overpaid.

Wilt

Utd are giving him £375,000 a week ……he’d struggle to get £50,000 a week at any another club.

Appalling waste of money.

tomaldinho1

I like that he’s not pandering to the player, gives me some hope. I’m 100% against the renewal unless he plays out of his skin from now on or it’s like a 1 year deal because our top target isn’t available.

Great servant, unlucky to be here through turmoil but not a keeper to build a defence around in a team who want to play out from the back.

criticalanalysis

That's interesting to watch in isolation and shows our intent/ETH's instructions. The pass at 53 secs is obviously the most startling one because of how we lost it but both Varane and Martinez go jogging forwards immediately after the first pass and not wide (to give an easy passing option). De Gea then plays that pass that hospital ball to Fred. He's done it before with Brentford for Eriksen (although I think Eriksen was to blame as well). Either he's being told to play those vertical passes to bypass the press or he's making the decision to not go long because it's an extremely high risk one when both his centre backs are not in optimal receiving spaces themselves.

Clear progressive intent, which is both working and not but with inconsistent execution. Kind of sums up ETH tenure so far even if it is harsh but overall on the positive.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We must not under any circumstances renew his contract. He's earning three times what he should be on and he's past his prime. Last 5 years have been average at best. Thank you for the 10 years and the 500 appearances, generally class guy. But like a famous fella said It's time to go

Idxomer

He actually has been looking like a ball-playing goalkeeper for the last 4 games.

Conor

It's so strange seeing him this confident with kicking. No dodgy ones at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is so much change in his game. His starting position is higher now, so he is cutting the chances by collecting the all at edge of the box.

His passing has been excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.