Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

The second picture shows he didn't receive the ball until he was closed down. So, does that not back up the notion that the pass should never have been made?
Shouldn't have been made as option number 1, but if it is played it shouldn't have been played like that. Slow and square to Maguire. So DeGea pretty much did Maguire no favours in any aspect of this play. It was still a situation that you'd have no doubt Martinez deals with, but feck me, we know Maguire is not Martinez so I'm not sure how DeGea hasnt' figured that out yet.

el3mel

I was against replacing him, but tonight made me believe I was in the wrong here. This was truly a shambolic night.

CoopersDream

We won it by conceding nearly 50 goals that season. De Gea will never be part of a major league or European winning team ever again.
I know people like to make things up in the de Gea thread, but we didn't conced nearly 50 goals, we conceded 43, and 5 in the last game when the title was long won and de Gea wasn't in goal. He was very solid that year from the time he was firmly number one until we had won the title.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
His new contract is almost ready to be announced according to journalists. Looks like we've gone too soon yet again.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He never even gets bloody injured so the manager’s hand is never forced to even give someone else a run of games.

When that did last happen, we fecking saw Sergio Romero looking the better option for the victorious Europa League run.

CloneMC16

I know people like to make things up in the de Gea thread, but we didn't conced nearly 50 goals, we conceded 43, and 5 in the last game when the title was long won and de Gea wasn't in goal. He was very solid that year from the time he was firmly number one until we had won the title.
He was not solid. Lindegaard came in for him for a reason. De Gea really started to show quality in 13/14.

KD6-3.7

he just isn’t a top GK anymore and he hasn’t been for a long time. I don’t know what Ten Hag is thinking with him, but going into next season with him still as our first choice GK pretty much rules us out of any potential title challenge even if we get a top class striker and midfielder.

The Law of Denis

Needs to be dropped and released on a free.

Do you really trust him when back is against the wall in a tough away game?

No.

He's at his best making a wonder save from a counter, when we are dominating, anything else he is past it.

Idxomer

He never even gets bloody injured so the manager’s hand is never forced to even give someone else a run of games.

When that did last happen, we fecking saw Sergio Romero looking the better option for the victorious Europa League run.
Henderson came in for him when he had a baby which is the only other time we had some play instead of him consistently since then. He outperformed too despite being generally mediocre.

That was 10 years ago. In 2013. With SAF at the helm and legendary centre backs protecting him.

He is never going to win a top 5 European league again. I’d bet my life on this.

CoopersDream

He was not solid. Lindegaard came in for him for a reason. De Gea really started to show quality in 13/14.
And de Gea established himself as our number 1 for a reason as well. We, and de Gea, were shaky during the fall, and then we, and de Gea, were very solid from when he got back to be number 1. He also had one of his better performances in a United shirt that year against Real.

PSV

Big mistake for the 3rd goal, but honestly we could have played until the day a comet inevitably hits the earth and we wouldn't have scored tonight.

Has been important for us this season, I think we'd have gone out regardless of his error tonight. We go next.

skc_18

Sell Maguire , Henderson , release David De Gea , and buy a decent keeper we will be good defensively.
David De Gea is decent for most of the season but when he plays bad game , he plays very badly and most of these bad performances are in Knockout matches which cost us.
But not sure if we have many options to buy GK. We might rue not buying Yan Sommer.

criticalanalysis

A bit like Lindelof. Their game never revolves around actually putting themselves in danger or taking responsibility athletically or on the ball. Therefore, they don't get criticised, they never get injured and are always available by default.

De Gea has shown several levels of performance above the Swede of course but both need to go.

justboy68

It's not even the lack of ball playing ability that winds me up. I'm fed up of the lack of authority and command of his area. Both factors combined is a nightmare. He's one of those players that definitely costs the team points in many subtle ways.

dalriada

I wouldn't consider myself against, just that I feel folks overrate the improvement to be had. That was pretty much the worst of Dave.
That's a fair assessment. He has the most clean sheets in the EPL, so it's wrong to suggest he's somehow a goalkeeping disaster. This was one of his worst performances I can remember, but he hasn't had many apart from last season. I've also seen other keepers doing this when they're playing out from the back, including Ederson. It's a risk that goes with that style of play.
Having said that, he's passed the point where we can say we couldn't get better and probably more importantly, if this convinces ETH that his strengths aren't the right fit his profile of a keeper, then he could be on his way, especially in view of his high wage.

skc_18

Big mistake for the 3rd goal, but honestly we could have played until the day a comet inevitably hits the earth and we wouldn't have scored tonight.

Has been important for us this season, I think we'd have gone out regardless of his error tonight. We go next.
I think he is fault for all 3 goals. First one there is no way he should have passed to Maguire and based on his past matches he knows how good Maguire is when there is pressure. A good goal keeper would have cleared it too, ball did not have any pace and it was towards the center of the goal. His leap wasnt enough.

But this is not a surprise from David de gea, he always has these bad games. In PL, these bad games phase out because it is just loss of points for that game.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
It's not even the lack of ball playing ability that winds me up. I'm fed up of the lack of authority and command of his area. Both factors combined is a nightmare. He's one of those players that definitely costs the team points in many subtle ways.
Yeah, my wife asked why Bounou was allowed to push Maguire when we had corners. I said, "That's what a Goalkeeper does, it's just De Gea that doesn't."

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really hope ETH isn’t blinded by his shot stopping (when it’s good) and can see that we desperately need a new first choice GK. Post Ronaldo it’s probably his biggest decision to make

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
First goal was 100% on Maguire, IMO. Second couldn't have been better placed. The third however, shocking.
Nonsense. The first goal is 50/50. The second goal is awful keeping. The third is Sunday league.

He's finished. Awful keeper.

Stadjer

Nonsense. The first goal is 50/50. The second goal is awful keeping. The third is Sunday league.

I would make it 70/30 or something. Most of it was on Maguire but DDG should know that you cant make that pass to Harry Maguire. Terrible performance from DDG today

CloneMC16

De Gea plays a ball to Maguire when he's surrounded by 3 players. I don't understand how anybody thinks he has zero blame in that. The only defender we have that probably gets out of that situation is Martinez. Nobody else should receive that pass.

arthurka

This club lacks spine, grit and mental toughness and our beloved DDG is the biggest culprit. He needs to be moved with Harry and couple of other weaklings. He owns just as much of our shambolic defending over the years as any other United player. His time is up, even if he takes a 50% pay cut.

Idxomer

That's a fair assessment. He has the most clean sheets in the EPL, so it's wrong to suggest he's somehow a goalkeeping disaster. This was one of his worst performances I can remember, but he hasn't had many apart from last season. I've also seen other keepers doing this when they're playing out from the back, including Ederson. It's a risk that goes with that style of play.
Having said that, he's passed the point where we can say we couldn't get better and probably more importantly, if this convinces ETH that his strengths aren't the right fit his profile of a keeper, then he could be on his way, especially in view of his high wage.
That's because he has two world cup winners and Casemiro babysits him most of the season in addition to the team playing the deepest defensive line in the league. He still had his fair share of awful and catastrophic games this season when almost every shot resulted in a goal.

He was better last season, as a shot-stopper at least but still not good enough for a top club which has been the case every season since 2018.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
First goal was 100% on Maguire, IMO. Second couldn't have been better placed. The third however, shocking.
Absolutely not. The pass was horrible. Don’t get me wrong, Maguire did not do himself any favors, but that goal is 75% on Dave.

Pack your bags and leave asap. (De Gea, not you)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
100% on Maguire? De Gea probably shouldn't have passed him the ball at all, but the most important thing is that the pass he did play to him was absolute shit. It needed to be a relatively short fast pass into Maguire's stride. Instead he played a slow ball basically behind Maguire, which is why he was flat-footed and with the opposition players completely on top of him by the time he received the ball. Maguire certainly takes some blame, but De Gea was definitely the main culprit there.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
First goal was 100% on Maguire, IMO.
When you can see your teammate is about to walk into a trap, you don’t give him a friendly push just because he seems happy enough. The Sevilla players could all have been wearing placards reading “PASSING TRAP” and it wouldn’t have made it any more obvious.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Really hope ETH isn’t blinded by his shot stopping (when it’s good) and can see that we desperately need a new first choice GK. Post Ronaldo it’s probably his biggest decision to make
I don't think he's unaware of how much he struggles with a high press. I suspect it has everything to do with current budgetary restrictions. At least there's talk of performance related bonuses - you'd hope his salary wouldn't be too much to carry if he were to become 2nd choice.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think that'll do Dave if I'm honest.

Was once one of your biggest fans, now it's just sad.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

The first one, any of our other players who take up that position play a first time pass because they literally practice that pattern hundreds of times.

100% on Maguire? De Gea probably shouldn't have passed him the ball at all, but the most important thing is that the pass he did play to him was absolute shit. It needed to be a relatively short fast pass into Maguire's stride. Instead he played a slow ball basically behind Maguire, which is why he was flat-footed and with the opposition players completely on top of him by the time he received the ball. Maguire certainly takes some blame, but De Gea was definitely the main culprit there.
We're not going to agree, which is fine, but Maguire is flat footed all the time so I doubt a better pass (I agree it wasn't great) would make a difference.

When you can see your teammate is about to walk into a trap, you don’t give him a friendly push just because he seems happy enough. The Sevilla players could all have been wearing placards reading “PASSING TRAP” and it wouldn’t have made it any more obvious.
Sure, but if Maguire wasn't dogshit he'd have dealt with it, just like all competent players do in these systems.

Abraxas

The one thing that does cheer me up is wondering what Roy Keane is thinking as he watched that display.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I've only raged and said this all year to the nitwits that still cite his great seasons 5 years ago and some random highlight saves.

He could even get away with being really good at one or the other, but he's actually terrible at both while being average at shot stopping now.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This club lacks spine, grit and mental toughness and our beloved DDG is the biggest culprit. He needs to be moved with Harry and couple of other weaklings. He owns just as much of our shambolic defending over the years as any other United player. His time is up, even if he takes a 50% pay cut.
He's such a coward and always has been, it's always felt like he crumbles in huge moments (there's a reason he was dropped for Spain as well). Couple that with the mental midget Maguire at a big away game in Europe and it's a recipe for disaster.

AndyMUFC

Awful performance tonight in every sense but it's the overriding problem which is just that we struggle to play the way Ten Hag wants to play with him in net that is the reason he has to go. His passing has been getting worse game by game for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.