Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

IRELANDUNITED

Looks like he’s off Ornstien just said so. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are happy to let him go now because we know the ownership is almost sorted and therefore Ten Hag has been reassured there will be funds available for a new GK

Seij

I won't believe it until he officially signs with another club. It's just that nobody else (aside from maybe the Saudis) seems to be interested in him and the club is as usual dragging its feet in signing players this summer. I see the board dilly dallying the whole summer and offering ddg a last-minute contract in August (or even the extension of his current contract out of desperation) before the season starts.

If he really is leaving, why won't board secure another keeper before he's officially gone so that the other clubs don't fleece us even more? I wouldn't be surprised if the board is still leaving this "TBD" while they are tunnel visioned on Mount deal.

NYAS

I seem to remember we let Mata’s contract expire before renewing it sometime in July. Hope that doesn’t happen here.

TheLittleOne

We are not willing to pay 200k+ for him to play second fidle(as we want to move on from him) and and hes obviously not gonna like being on almost half the salary and not being no.1 who would have thought? and this was even before his most recent feck ups which just cemented the club's stand on things. so yeah, `ìt looks like he may well leave`` please pay me money for this incredible insight.

Last edited:

RedOrange

I won't believe it until he officially signs with another club. It's just that nobody else (aside from maybe the Saudis) seems to be interested in him and the club is as usual dragging its feet in signing players this summer. I see the board dilly dallying the whole summer and offering ddg a last-minute contract in August (or even the extension of his current contract out of desperation) before the season starts.

If he really is leaving, why won't board secure another keeper before he's officially gone so that the other clubs don't fleece us even more? I wouldn't be surprised if the board is still leaving this "TBD" while they are tunnel visioned on Mount deal.
Dean Henderson is still under contract.

Irwin99

I'd be pretty shocked if he stays now. The whole situation of him potentially staying didn't feel as convincing as it might have seemed despite the official line of the club. With 5 or 6 weeks of the season left the manager was hardly going to say "we don't want you anymore but try to help us get top 4 and win an FA cup final before you leave". I know a lot of people don't care but I wonder what De Gea's side of the story is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Surprised we are not interested in Vicario who is getting linke dwith SPurs now. £20m and a very promising keeper, much better than Hnderson who he replaces probably on a negative net spend both on transfer fee and wages, a quality second choice to provide viable competition to a ne number one.

Personally not totally convinced by Onana who seems heavily linked and popula ron here. Like his calmness on the ball, and he plays it our well AT the back, but his longer passing doesnt look great to me and I think he is a "good" keeper and a modern one, but not a great one. Think at £50m he is pretty expensive and dont have confidence in him being a great number one, prefer some of the cheaper options an dthink Spurs for all they hav edone wrong seem to be gettign good deals out of Serie A, Bentancaur is a very good player, Eomero I think is a top centre back who needs the right team and partner and Kulusevski though quiter this season and if they get Vicario, they have been good value signings with the exception of Romero maybe price wise.

Was always 50/50 on DeGea but the way he finished the season made my mind up. His career here had been under rated, especially in the elast few years with the modern keeper trend but he hasnt had a great season in a long time now, the good ones have still had error strewn spells. It is time to move on, but whatever the stats brigade say, as a personality, professional and experienced keeper, he isnt so easily replacable as people seem to say, it has been a huge burden being number one here for a lot of very good keepers
He's not very good in possession according to the tweet below. And so shouldn't be signed if the aim is to initiate attacks from deep.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's not very good in possession according to the tweet below. And so shouldn't be signed if the aim is to initiate attacks from deep.

He is good in possession, check out the stats in the responses to that tweet. Statistically he is better than Raya with passing. From what I can see all the fans in Italy rate him as good as or better than Donnarumma.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is good in possession, check out the stats in the responses to that tweet. Statistically he is better than Raya with passing. From what I can see all the fans in Italy rate him as good as or better than Donnarumma.

De Gea completes 68% of his passes, no one calls him as good on the ball.

Playing the ball doesn't mean just playing short passes, it's about not panicking and picking the right pass when pressed, ensuring team doesn't lose possession. This is something De Gea is poor at (including many other attributes), something that's Raya is good at. Not sure about the other Italian GK but the way stats are used is just wrong.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
De Gea completes 68% of his passes, no one calls him as good on the ball.

Playing the ball doesn't mean just playing short passes, it's about not panicking and picking the right pass when pressed, ensuring team doesn't lose possession. This is something De Gea is poor at (including many other attributes), something that's Raya is good at. Not sure about the other Italian GK but the way stats are used is just wrong.
As long as he is better with his feet than Lloris (he is much better) I'll be happy.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd be pretty shocked if he stays now. The whole situation of him potentially staying didn't feel as convincing as it might have seemed despite the official line of the club. With 5 or 6 weeks of the season left the manager was hardly going to say "we don't want you anymore but try to help us get top 4 and win an FA cup final before you leave". I know a lot of people don't care but I wonder what De Gea's side of the story is.
He does this every time his contract is up. He dithers until the very end and then eventually signs because he has no other options.

I don't know why we don't put a deadline in the contract negotiations like Madrid did to Ramos.

roonster09

Scout
As long as he is better with his feet than Lloris (he is much better) I'll be happy.
Lloris has 77% pass completion as per fbref, that's better than Raya and other keeper.

Anyways I got the point, Lloris is shit, hard to get worse GK than him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's certainly an unusual situation playing out.

We've had reports the contract was all but agreed, reports De Gea was happy to take a pay cut, reports it was just awaiting United sign-off, reports that De Gea wouldn't be guaranteed #1, reports that it actually wasn't agreed, reports that De Gea didn't want to take a pay cut, reports that he was the one holding off, simultaneous reports that we were unsure we wanted to keep him, etc. All while the contract is running down.

Hard to tell to what extent it's a money issue, a squad status issue, hard bargaining, transfer priorities changing or the club trying to see De Gea to the exit door without it looking like he's been unceremoniously axed or deemed not up to the job. Maybe "we couldn't come to an agreement so the player leaves amicably at the end of his contract" is just the most polite way to manage the departure of a long-standing servant.

jesperjaap

It's certainly an unusual situation playing out.

We've had reports the contract was all but agreed, reports De Gea was happy to take a pay cut, reports it was just awaiting United sign-off, reports that De Gea wouldn't be guaranteed #1, reports that it actually wasn't agreed, reports that De Gea didn't want to take a pay cut, reports that he was the one holding off, simultaneous reports that we were unsure we wanted to keep him, etc. All while the contract is running down.

Hard to tell to what extent it's a money issue, a squad status issue, hard bargaining, transfer priorities changing or the club trying to see De Gea to the exit door without it looking like he's been unceremoniously axed or deemed not up to the job. Maybe "we couldn't come to an agreement so the player leaves amicably at the end of his contract" is just the most polite way to manage the departure of a long-standing servant.
I feel his last 1/4 of the season may well have changed peoples mind, inluding ETH. Despite his defficincies, he was having one of his best seasons for quite a while until the turn of the year, where as the last period of the season was more like the awful couple of seasons he had not long ago. Really think he may have played himself out of a new contract

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If reports are to be believed, I am very unhappy with how we have handled this. All the reports for months that Dave is happy to take a pay cut and terms have been agreed.
It seems the club has decided not to make a formal proposal at the last minute. That's not the way to treat a legend. If the club had doubts about him, they should have told him ages ago and allowed him to find a suitable club.
The club should have made this decision months ago.

El Zoido

If reports are to be believed, I am very unhappy with how we have handled this. All the reports for months that Dave is happy to take a pay cut and terms have been agreed.
It seems the club has decided not to make a formal proposal at the last minute. That's not the way to treat a legend. If the club had doubts about him, they should have told him ages ago and allowed him to find a suitable club.

It’s a mutual decision, we’re just playing a media game to help him avoid the embarrassment of being publicly dumped.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Agree on all, good post @Adisa.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Nah. Even with ETH publicly backing De Gea all season and saying he wanted to keep him, De Gea was still receiving a lot of criticism and media scrutiny. I think I prefer the approach of stone-walling all of that and publicly backing him until the summer ends rather than placing De Gea in a position where it was clear he was going to be let go because he wasn't up to the job but we were still depending on him as our #1 for the rest of the season.

Plus there are varying reports as to how far along in contract talks we actually were. Some had a contract literally agreed and waiting sign-off, others had us still some way apart in negotiations. For all we know De Gea was relatively aware that this could be coming down the tracks.

Hell, for all we know a contract could still be agreed. Nobody has yet reported that it's definitely not happening even if that seems most likely.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Lloris has 77% pass completion as per fbref, that's better than Raya and other keeper.

Anyways I got the point, Lloris is shit, hard to get worse GK than him.
Buffon on Vicario: "He might become even better than me, he's generational".

However Buffon described Vicario as "extraordinary" and he said that he's "the future of the national team".

That's good enough for me!

roonster09

Scout
Buffon on Vicario: "He might become even better than me, he's generational".

However Buffon described Vicario as "extraordinary" and he said that he's "the future of the national team".

That's good enough for me!
Looks like the source for these quotes is Spurs fan facebook.

roonster09

Scout
Stop trying to spoil my fun
I'm not man, I have already said any GK is a big improvement on Lloris.

Looks like other clubs should start doing what you guys have done, too much price for a player with one year left on contract? Just move and pick someone from other league.

mctrials23

We've played a blinder with this one. Hes going to leave and any club selling their keeper to us will have us over a barrel. I have zero issues with him leaving. Hes not good enough for us any more in too many areas and his salary was frankly never remotely good value. I love the guy and he has been with us through thick and thin but hes too good to be a number 2 and too expensive and not good enough to be our number one.

We shouldn't be in a position where we don't have a first choice keeper however.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

In theory, yes.

However, quite frankly, I wouldn't have had faith in De Gea's performances not to drop like a stone if we'd made it official a few months ago. He's spent years now regularly struggling under pressure and making bad mistakes in those situations. I would say there was an unacceptably high chance that he could have cost us top four or the FA Cup final. Obviously it wouldn't have been deliberate, but he simply doesn't handle pressure well and being put in such a position publicly would certainly have seen him dealing with a higher level of pressure.

As it was, his performances already dropped off somewhat towards the end of the season and he arguably cost us in the FA Cup final anyway.

It's also worth noting this isn't something I'm saying in hindsight. Myself and a few others pointed out this exact potential scenario a few months ago after the contract rumours had already been going on for a while. It simply made sense from the club's point of view, and the club does come first. I'm certainly not saying that this has been the case and I might be completely wrong, but it does make sense.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ll be chuffed to bits of these reports are true. Frankly I don’t care if we then have to overpay for a keeper at least and then have to sign one!

Oranges038

Once he rejected the first deal, he should have been told to find himself a new club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Once he rejected the first deal, he should have been told to find himself a new club.
He hasn’t been offered any deal. At least, not formally.
He should just have been told many months ago that his services were no longer needed and we should have thanked him and given him a big send off.
This looks messy to me.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He should just have been told many months ago that his services were no longer needed and we should have thanked him and given him a big send off.
This looks messy to me.
That would've been risky though as it could have negatively impacted his performances during the latter stage of the season, especially as we didn't have a capable backup GK to keep him on his toes.
Not that his performances were anything to write home about, but perhaps he would've dropped even more clangers if he had been told his services were no longer needed.

Oranges038

He hasn’t been offered any deal. At least, not formally.
This looks messy to me.
I think if you let players get to the last 18 months this conversation has to be had. But, RR was there. So why hamstring a new manager with a batch of fresh overpaid long term contracts.

ETH should have looked at the list at the start of year and said you lads have 12 months left, your future at this club is on the line.

Maybe he did, maybe he's made it clear DDG is not wanted and is not willing to keep him on in any capacity. We saw how quickly he shifted Maguire, Ronaldo, Fred and McT out of the first 11.

With DDG, he was kind of just stuck with him, but now he has a choice and he's decided, nah, I can't keep him, he's fecking up my whole game plan.

That would've been risky though as it could have negatively impacted his performances during the latter stage of the season, especially as we didn't have a capable backup GK to keep him on his toes.
Not that his performances were anything to write home about, but perhaps he would've dropped even more clangers if he had been told his services were no longer needed.
Or maybe he knew.. and just started throwing in towel... he couldn't possibly have been much worse than he was in some of those games.

Idxomer

So, the club is meeting with Onana's agent.

Is there really any possibility of DDG staying? There doesn't seem to be any confidence in him coming from the club anymore, yet the official line is that he can still sign a new contract.

tomaldinho1

I see this as ddg making a last-ditch effort to publicly pressure the club using Romano.
Agreed. I think the club is doing the right thing, he shouldn’t be our No1 and he can’t be a back up even on reduced wages.
If we don’t have the money for a GK we will have to use Henderson for a season (to be honest I’d be intrigued to see how good he is in a good team) if we do we’ll get Onana.

Marcus

I think the club did the right thing. If the club made the decision mid-season David's head may not have been right for the run in and that would have been disruptive.

RkkMan

Surprised we are not interested in Vicario who is getting linke dwith SPurs now. £20m and a very promising keeper, much better than Hnderson who he replaces probably on a negative net spend both on transfer fee and wages, a quality second choice to provide viable competition to a ne number one.

Personally not totally convinced by Onana who seems heavily linked and popula ron here. Like his calmness on the ball, and he plays it our well AT the back, but his longer passing doesnt look great to me and I think he is a "good" keeper and a modern one, but not a great one. Think at £50m he is pretty expensive and dont have confidence in him being a great number one, prefer some of the cheaper options an dthink Spurs for all they hav edone wrong seem to be gettign good deals out of Serie A, Bentancaur is a very good player, Eomero I think is a top centre back who needs the right team and partner and Kulusevski though quiter this season and if they get Vicario, they have been good value signings with the exception of Romero maybe price wise.

Was always 50/50 on DeGea but the way he finished the season made my mind up. His career here had been under rated, especially in the elast few years with the modern keeper trend but he hasnt had a great season in a long time now, the good ones have still had error strewn spells. It is time to move on, but whatever the stats brigade say, as a personality, professional and experienced keeper, he isnt so easily replacable as people seem to say, it has been a huge burden being number one here for a lot of very good keepers
You're not convinced by Onana who has more experience playing at top level as well as experience in different leagues, major titles in Netherlands and Italy to his name, familiarity with Ten Hag's system and vast CL experience but you're more convinced by Vicario(turning 27 this year so not a youngster) who has never played outside Italy, never won a major title, never played in a European Competition and a virtually unknown entity in a position we need near on proven quality? I'm really struggling to see the reasoning here
Plus Onana will cost £42m before add ons which is a good fee for a 27yr old top class GK in his prime. Vicario being cheaper isn't a guarantee he'll come good our last "cheap" signing from the Serie A(Darmian) flopped massively here
Vicario is a solid GK but he's a Tottenham level player. Pep himself before the CL final praised Onana for being so technically good that he singled out how hard it is to press against Inter because of the control Onana gives them at the back. That's a top level player

jesperjaap

You're not convinced by Onana who has more experience playing at top level as well as experience in different leagues, major titles in Netherlands and Italy to his name, familiarity with Ten Hag's system and vast CL experience but you're more convinced by Vicario(turning 27 this year so not a youngster) who has never played outside Italy, never won a major title, never played in a European Competition and a virtually unknown entity in a position we need near on proven quality? I'm really struggling to see the reasoning here
Plus Onana will cost £42m before add ons which is a good fee for a 27yr old top class GK in his prime. Vicario being cheaper isn't a guarantee he'll come good our last "cheap" signing from the Serie A(Darmian) flopped massively here
Vicario is a solid GK but he's a Tottenham level player. Pep himself before the CL final praised Onana for being so technically good that he singled out how hard it is to press against Inter because of the control Onana gives them at the back. That's a top level player
Schmeichl and DeGea were also pretty inexperienced of playing and period of time at a top level, only Vn de Sar had lots of experience before coming.

I dont think the Dutch league is really considered as top level experience, it is a very weak league in comparison to others in Europe, though he got great experience in the champions league. Could also argue Serie A hasnt been a top league for some time.

The reason I said I am not totally convinced by Onana is I am just not sure he is a top level keeper. I hink he is great under pressure with his feet, but the other areas I dont see him as a big top quality keeper just a decent one.....is such an obsession with keepers and there feet and not other atributes, you yourself have stated he is a top level player....purely on that attribute. I am just 100% not convinced by any of the keepers we are being linked with in all honesty. I havent seen Costa but I am not so sure any others are ready to be the new number one here and handle the burden, thogh it is something we need and Onana seems another one who is a good keeper but maybe getting overhyped due to his clubs success this season and his modern style with the feet....I mean I cant remember seeing him or Maignan gettign mentioned often a yer or two ago

Status
Not open for further replies.