Day 2: England vs Iran | Senegal vs Netherlands | USA vs Wales

Spark

Yes you’re right 2010 it was. That Rob Green incident was a proper head in hands moment. Did he ever play for England again after that?
The fact he played for England in the first place was nuts.

The 2010 team (and world cup) was proper shit for England.

AndyMUFC

That was a brilliant display, blew them away and Bellingham and Saka were terrific. Still think the defence will struggle against top players but it's exactly what we needed to start the tournament.

The Dutch v Senegal should be a good one.

Matt007a

Can we borrow some of their CBs? They're really stacked in a position we are severely lacking

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I mean, you have to compare the two leagues. The Premier League is so far ahead of the Eredivisie.
Doesn't really work like that does it? Look at the gulf in quality and depth in their CBs to England.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Disappointed El Hadji Diouf is not starting

Stadjer

Vincent Janssen and Steven Bergwijn is the best frontline the Netherlands can come up with for a World Cup?

Jesus Christ, international football really is just cack now, isn't it?
Normally Memphis would start over Janssen… but even with Memphis its not exactly Robben + RvP

Stookie

Nurse bell end
The fact he played for England in the first place was nuts.

The 2010 team (and world cup) was proper shit for England.
Yeah it was, but there have been a few like that. That’s why I don’t want to get carried away. I’m just ready for the heartache and disappointment. I think 02 was the worst one for me. Really thought we could do something. We could have beaten Brazil but then David Seaman….

Nick7

Doesn't really work like that does it? Look at the gulf in quality and depth in their CBs to England.
In terms of the full squad? I’d say it does. The money pumped into premier league teams has gone to improve not just the first teams, but academies too. When you’ve got 10/15 world class academies all bringing through youth players during the time when money in football is absolutely booming you’ll get a decent squad. Not trying to downplay the Netherlands, but their national team was towards the top of the world when their clubs were too. It was a matter of time for England to “come good” let’s say with the premier league being there.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I mean, you have to compare the two leagues. The Premier League is so far ahead of the Eredivisie.
This is international football.

By 2018 PL was already best league in the world, and France won the WC with only 4-5 players in the PL, Euro 2020 was won by Italy with only Jorginho playing in the PL, and the rest in Serie A which is far behind PL since the early 2010s.

I don't think the league dictates much in international football, otherwise Scotland would have qualified to this WC, but they lost to some teams whose players are in exotic leagues.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bergwijn Janssen is surely our worst ever attack in a world cup game? I almost miss Dirk Kuyt :lol:

Nick7

This is international football.

By 2018 PL was already best league in the world, and France won the WC with only 4-5 players in the PL, Euro 2020 was won by Italy with only Jorginho playing in the PL, and the rest in Serie A which is far behind PL since the early 2010s.

I don't think the league dictates much in international football, otherwise Scotland would have qualified to this WC.
England got to the semis in 2018, no? That’s 4 years near enough to the top of international game. I’d definitely say the premier league has a huge say in that. Italy also didn’t qualify for 2018 or this World Cup. In either case, I’m talking about England having such a strong squad. They have insane depth of good to great football players, all of them coming from English academies which have benefited from the money and quality that’s come from the premier league.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feck me I'm excited. I apologise in advance for my behaviour should we lose today.

Or win.

Beobachter

What's the general consensus on Gakpo? Saw him a bit at PSV, looks pretty promising.