Day 2: Portugal v Spain, Morocco v Iran and Egypt v Uruguay

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Phil Neville last watched Barca in 2015 by the sound of things.

Suarez general play been poor for a while even if his goal record still looks good.

maniwin

32 year old Diego Godin is still one of the best CB in the world. He did everything today

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Egypt still very much in this though. Pretty much whoever wins the next match between them and Russia is through.

Uruguay as good as through with that win. Might be a bit cynical but surely one of the European teams like Wales, Italy, or Netherlands would do better than being the San Marino of the group the way Saudi are.
It's on goal difference, so even if they win against Russia, last fixture Russia might face Uruguay playing their subs, and Egypt will need to outscore the 5-0 Russia put yesterday on Saudi Arabia, not going to be easy

Idxomer

Uruguay deserved this. Egypt without Salah has no real attacking threat, just lots of grit and spirit nothing more.

Suarez is still the most despicable man in football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
At least we'll have another look at another group up next....would be nice to have a lights out end to end match between Morocco-Iran. I've tipped Morocco to do well and challenge for second so must win for them. Iran are very defensive though so likely to be another low scoring tight one.

Kapardin

It's on goal difference, so even if they win against Russia, last fixture Russia might face Uruguay playing their subs, and Egypt will need to outscore the 5-0 Russia put yesterday on Saudi Arabia, not going to be easy
Yep, Saudis screwed the group for everyone. No matter how shite you are, 5-0 is too much when its' a team like Russia.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bad result for Russia. They would have fancied their chances to get out of the group if this game had been drawn.
Why?

With their GD this is better than Egypt drawing.

Just avoid a defeat to Egypt and they're all but through to next round.

RedDevil@84

Uruguay were a bit lucky to get away with it. Their overall play was abysmal with a few chances created here and there. But as Egypt hardly created anything and Uruguay forced the Egypt keeper to make a couple of saves at least, maybe makes Uruguay some kind of deserving winners.
If this is how Egypt is going to play, Russia will be happy.

And much overreaction to Suarez time wasting tactics. Most of the teams would have gone down at every touch in the dying seconds.

Kearnkoff69

At least we'll have another look at another group up next....would be nice to have a lights out end to end match between Morocco-Iran. I've tipped Morocco to do well and challenge for second so must win for them. Iran are very defensive though so likely to be another low scoring tight one.
I don't expect much flow to any game that Iran is playing in. Their WC game against Argentina in 2014 was a tumescent affair. It reminded me of the 2d leg of the Inter-Barca Champions League tie where Mou had his entire team set up in blocks just defending like rabid dogs. Except a 92d minute Messi goal managed to break Iran down at the death.

Rajma

Deserved, could have been 3-0 or 4-0 if Suarez did not have a shocker, can’t remember one decent shot from Egypt.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Iran played really well in that game, Romero had to tip a header over the bar at 0-0 so they could've nicked it.

Would be nice to think Iran will look at this as their most winnable game and go for it but not holding my breath.

Rajma

The BBC commentators are disgraceful. Uruguay have been fine and deserved the win. Created some great chances should have scored earlier.

Egypt showed no ambition at all. Pathetic performance.
Precisely, anyone saying Egypt deserved anything from this game are obviously biased.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What about the Russia - Uruguay game? I can't see Russia drawing or winning that one. It looks like Uruguay will get better as the WC progresses.
Even if Russia lose, draw with Egypt would mean 4 points and still plus + 3 or 4 GD.

So really Egypt would need to beat Saudi by a hatful and not convinced they'd do that even with Salah on pitch.

Kearnkoff69

Iran played really well in that game, Romero had to tip a header over the bar at 0-0 so they could've nicked it.

Would be nice to think Iran will look at this as their most winnable game and go for it but not holding my breath.
I hope they prove you right. I would love to see a more open game and give Ziyech some space to conjure some magic, but I'm not optimistic about it. Playing defensively and trying to nick it seems to be the way that international football is played these days, bar the really big nations with loads of talent.

Morocco vs Iran

Giggs86

Cnut cakir is the ref for Iran - Morocco. What looks like a boring game on paper, might turn into his usual shitshow of red cards and last minute penalties.

Won’t mind the cakir show today for the entertainment value :drool:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Yeah you'd think so. They're unlikely to progress but a surprise win gives them a massive chance if they can then nick a point off either of the big two in their group. Strikes me as a bit pointless for them to sit back in that regard.

el3mel

Hegazi is the worst "tall" defender I have seen defending crosses. Will have zero hope to play for a decent European team with this problem.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You can tell that Jenas thinks that Neville is a massive cnut :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Get the feeling looking at the list, Peru-Denmark is going to be the first really attractive and end to end match of this world cup.

Morocco-Iran maybe could be but depends on Iran.

Portugal-Spain, technically will be very high level but think this will be cat and mouse e.g Portugal sitting back and Spain popping the ball around the halfway line.

France- Australia, big mismatch. Comfortable France win.

Argentina-Iceland- Great match up of styles but Iceland will sit back on edge of their box and test Argentina with long throws and corners. Probably the closest Messi in Stoke game you'll ever see.

Peru have quite a fast paced and physical team, Denmark have lovely players like Eriksen. From next few days think that one and Croatia- Nigeria will be best to watch. Teams on similar level and contrast in styles.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah you'd think so. They're unlikely to progress but a surprise win gives them a massive chance if they can then nick a point off either of the big two in their group. Strikes me as a bit pointless for them to sit back in that regard.
Exactly and hopefully you are right. If they don't attack in this game then when will they :lol: ?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Cnut cakir is the ref for Iran - Morocco. What looks like a boring game on paper, might turn into his usual shitshow of red cards and last minute penalties.

Won’t mind the cakir show today for the entertainment value :drool:
Morocco is a country very cosy with Occidendental countries+ Turkey and Iran not so much= Cakir will favor Iran big time :wenger:

Eila

Morocco is a country very cosy with Occidendental countries+ Turkey and Iran not so much= Cakir will favor Iran big time :wenger:
Irani ref for the Germany - Mexico match :wenger: need all the help we can.

RoyH1

Egypt were dire. Uruguay at least tried in the last 29 minutes and created at least 3 quality chances before the goal.
If Russia can beat Egypt, the Uruguay- Russia game should be a tame subs only affair.

PoTMS

You can tell that Jenas thinks that Neville is a massive cnut :lol:
He's come across as even bigger a cnut. The way he told Nev he shouldn't tell him how to play central midfield, it's as if he was Xavi himself. The irony was obviously lost on him considering that's exactly what he gets paid for and he isn't exactly any good either.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

Anyone else think today's ref was great? I thought he waved play on every single time anyone tried to con him with a dive and that was really refreshing to see. Throughout the season you just see players diving or stopping for the slightest touch and you just look at the ref knowing he's going to fall for it. This guy just played on every time and told the player to wise up. Loved seeing that. More like him please

Reactions: Penna

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Anyone else think today's ref was great? I thought he waved play on every single time anyone tried to con him with a dive and that was really refreshing to see. Throughout the season you just see players diving or stopping for the slightest touch and you just look at the ref knowing he's going to fall for it. This guy just played on every time and told the player to wise up. Loved seeing that. More like him please
Kuipers is a great ref, easily one of the best in the world

Yagami

Good post resistant
Suarez reminded me of this too. The rock was always doing those OTT body flips when Austin would stun him. :lol:
:lol:

What makes it even funnier now is that it turned out it was a bet that Rock and Austin had in real life in how daft Rock could make himself look selling the stunner each week.
Yeah, agreed.

PoTMS

Ryan Giggs not taking a liking to Quieroz due to him committing the heinous crime of calling him by his surname.