Day 6: Colombia vs Japan, Poland vs Senegal and Russia vs Egypt

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Very surprised the team has actually made it. being how crappy the current state of Russian football is. It helped that the Saudis were terrible but I expected much more from Egypt. Uruguay will probably beat us comfortably and we won't make it past the first knock out round but this is the first time in history of Russian football the national team actually made it into the playoff round, so it's a success already. Very happy for the boys and the home fans, we needed that.

Bobski

BBC have been so amateurish in the studio post games this tournament, as bad as I can remember from them.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The other teams from Africa cont. were stronger. The competition to get qualified for WC is tougher.

Edit: South Africa hosting the WC2010 is unfortunate though. It took a place for stronger African nation
I wouldn't agree tbh. Egypt won 3 ANC in a row at that time, beating all of the other big African nations at one time or another and they didn't fluke those tournaments. They went a bit under the radar at the time as, unlike a few of the other nations, they didn't have a European based superstar and their players didn't tend to leave Egypt (or at least the middle East).

Ah times CAF qualification does throw up some awkward groups (I vaguely remember for one of the wc qualifying campaigns, Egypt and ivory Coast were drawn in the same group so only one could go through) but the team didn't do itself justice. At the crunch moments, something was always just short.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Very surprised the team has actually made it. being how crappy the current state of Russian football is. It helped that the Saudis were terrible but I expected much more from Egypt. Uruguay will probably beat us comfortably and we won't make it past the first knock out round but this is the first time in history of Russian football the national team actually made it into the playoff round, so it's a success already. Very happy for the boys and the home fans, we needed that.
We're going to the fecking thing. Then we'll get taken away from us for being jacked up to high heaven on PED's.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh and congratulations to Russia. Regardless of the opposition, well done and its always nice to see a run from the host nation.

ti vu

At 2010 it wasn't. We got an easy group and fecked it up against Algeria, whom we beat in CAN later 4-0 and they themselves got knocked out of World Cup not scoring even a single goal.
Algeria had a decent squad, which some of them developing further and played key for them to qualify and made it into KO round in the following WC.

It's harsh to judge Algeria WC 2010 on goal scoring. I meant sure their attacking shite, but they knew how to get result with their defensive game, which at this level if youre attacking is not that good, defensive stability can help big time.

As I said in the edit part. South African to host the WC is a bit unfortunate. South Africa didn't look like they're WC team going through qualification round form Africa cont.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Russia has no chance against Spain, but I don't think a win after pens against Portugal is out of reach.

el3mel

Algeria had a decent squad, which some of them developing further and played key for them to qualify and made it into KO round in the following WC.

It's harsh to judge Algeria WC 2010 on goal scoring. I meant sure their attacking shite, but they knew how to get result with their defensive game, which at this level if youre attacking is not that good, defensive stability can help big time.

As I said in the edit part. South African to host the WC is a bit unfortunate. South Africa didn't look like they're WC team going through qualification round form Africa cont.
Algeria haven't been even qualifying to ACON let alone World Cup at this time. Their manager himself said at the start of the qualification matches that his only target is to qualify to ACON. We fecked up the group with getting only 1 point of the first 6 before winning the remaining 4 and losing the deciding match.

We played Algeria into it, but they were at this time very poor side that we destroyed later in ACON 2010 by 4 goals and they did nothing in World Cup.

This isn't the same Algeria that managed to advance to KO stages and made Germany struggle in 2014. They had been completely changed by this time.

Aboutreika18

Algeria haven't been even qualifying to ACON let alone World Cup at this time. Their manager himself said at the start of the qualification matches that his only target is to qualify to ACON. We fecked up the group with getting only 1 point of the first 6 before winning the remaining 4 and losing the deciding match.

We played Algeria into it, but they were at this time very poor side that we destroyed later in ACON 2010 by 4 goals and they did nothing in World Cup.

This isn't the same Algeria that managed to advance to KO stages and made Germany struggle in 2014. They had been completely changed by this time.
The worst thing is that 1-0 play-off loss wouldn't have happened had Barakat not missed that glorious chance from a few yards out, in the dying seconds of that 2-0 win.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They never got through the group stages? Or just as th USSR?

Nikhil

BBC have been so amateurish in the studio post games this tournament, as bad as I can remember from them.
I think this is because people who don't watch league football at other times of the year watch the World Cup along with the year round fans. So they want to keep it light hearted and entertaining for the whole family. Lineker shows humourous tweets and other things. But they should go in depth about the game and the players. It should have something in it for fans as well.

They should get in some managers and top former players (apart from Fabregas). Pires, Allardyce, Wenger, Ballack.

el3mel

The worst thing is that 1-0 play-off loss wouldn't have happened had Barakat not missed that glorious chance from a few yards out, in the dying seconds of that 2-0 win.
This period overall brings terrible memories to my mind. I was pretty sure this side would do something in World Cup if they qualify. What they did against Brazil and Italy in Confederation Cup 2009 proved this, but somehow we managed to feck up an easy group like this, then we get the current generation to qualify. Luck is the key word in World Cup qualification I have to admit.

El Zoido

Looks like this is going exactly how Russia wanted in terms of positive PR. It made me feel a little uncomfortable to have the BBC creaming themselves over how wonderful and amazing the Russian team are, after obviously being fixed in to a softball group containing the worst teams in the tournament. But yeh they’re the greatest football side the world has ever seen, this amazing team from this amazing country in this amazing city. Fecking piss off would ya.

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Mane is cousin with Gervinho?

Loublaze

ATLien
Looks like this is going exactly how Russia wanted in terms of positive PR. It made me feel a little uncomfortable to have the BBC creaming themselves over how wonderful and amazing the Russian team are, after obviously being fixed in to a softball group containing the worst teams in the tournament. But yeh they’re the greatest football side the world has ever seen, this amazing team from this amazing country in this amazing city. Fecking piss off would ya.
This

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Maybe they were getting praise because they played well and maybe they got an easy group because they were in pot 1 as hosts.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Nonsense. :lol:

And it is an amazing country and city but that has nothing to do with this.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's deeply troubling the way these Russian footballers are being praised, it's almost as if people have completely forgotten about Rasputin, lover of the Russian queen afterall.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What the feck are you talking about?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Best group draw a host nation has ever received?

Nonetheless, congrats to the Russian players, they've played some solid football so far. Any players worth a look by English clubs? (discounting those perhaps already on the books in England)

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Do you feel uncomfortable when pundits praise the dictatorship-backed Man City to be the greatest team in the history of English Football? Or do you take part in the Caf love-in for all things City and Guardiola?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are the hosts, the hosts are always seeded. I fail to see the fix, they were expected the finish third pre tournament by most.

Hanks

I was at the Poland-Senegal match with my Polish girlfriend. Amazing atmosphere, it was like a home game for Poland. Very respectful between all fans, all Of is applauding Senegal anthem, and their fans were great and full of energy and non stop singing. It was Poland (whose grievances with Russia are well known) and Senegal (perhaps the most black team of the tournament with racist fear mongering), yet there was absolutely zero issues, we were all dancing to russian folk music pre game, atmosphere was every bit as friendly as Iran-Morocco game I went to. It was for me (as an Iranian who was in St. Petersburg and experienced winning the match with last kick of the game) a fascinating experience of contrast of emotions as I see Poland as my second team seeing I’ve lived there before and the country has given me such amazing memories and girlfriends lose. It really sucked:(z Pretty sure I heard the word “Kurwa” at least 1000 times today...very disappointed with Piszczeck, Kuba and Krokochowiak today.

Post game, tried to go to fan fest in Moscow, but metro lady said it’s closed because it’s in full capacity, so went to a restaurant and watched Russia game. After the match, it was awesome outside in Moscow nearby Pushkinskaya street. Didn’t spend too long outside after a long day and gf of course still very gutted and trying to fight back tears.

Anyways, tomorrow is my last day in a russia. I’ll have a long and detailed post of the experience once back home and on a computer (no body likes making long posts on the phone). Some very nasty things about Russia and her people being said here, but both them and the fans have been wonderful so far. I’ll elaborate more on this with specific examples in my long post once back.

Meanwhile, hope to finish my almost two weeks stay here in style tomorrow watching a Queiroz masterclass in Moscow fan fest near Luzhinsky as we park triple bus and beat Spain off a last minute own goal after having 7% possession all game

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I was at the Poland-Senegal match with my Polish girlfriend. Amazing atmosphere, it was like a home game for Poland. Very respectful between all fans, all Of is applauding Senegal anthem, and their fans were great and full of energy and non stop singing. It was Poland (whose grievances with Russia are well known) and Senegal (perhaps the most black team of the tournament with racist fear mongering), yet there was absolutely zero issues, we were all dancing to russian folk music pre game, atmosphere was every bit as friendly as Iran-Morocco game I went to. It was for me (as an Iranian who was in St. Petersburg and experienced winning the match with last kick of the game) a fascinating experience of contrast of emotions as I see Poland as my second team seeing I’ve lived there before and the country has given me such amazing memories and girlfriends lose. It really sucked:(z Pretty sure I heard the word “Kurwa” at least 1000 times today...very disappointed with Piszczeck, Kuba and Krokochowiak today.
Now you know first hand we're no 'fascist' and 'racist' country we're portrayed to be. Watching on TV it was by far the best game atmosphere-wise and our anthem was a rocket. Shame the players didn't deliver although Senegal, while poor offensively (Mane), were absolutely fantastic defensively and obviously got two most lucky breaks you'll see.

Good for you for having a Polish gf (bet she's lovely;)) Thanks for sharing and hope you both have a great time. Also, 1000 times 'kurwa' may be understatement judging from my own experience;)

Ban

Are you all right ?

izec

:lol:

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Normally I like to see the hosts of a tournament do well, and in particular since the locals were so pessimistic, Russia have done well.

But feck em, I hope they get hammered in the last 16.

Cantonagotmehere

Post game, tried to go to fan fest in Moscow, but metro lady said it’s closed because it’s in full capacity, so went to a restaurant and watched Russia game. After the match, it was awesome outside in Moscow nearby Pushkinskaya street. Didn’t spend too long outside after a long day and gf of course still very gutted and trying to fight back tears.

Anyways, tomorrow is my last day in a russia. I’ll have a long and detailed post of the experience once back home and on a computer (no body likes making long posts on the phone). Some very nasty things about Russia and her people being said here, but both them and the fans have been wonderful so far. I’ll elaborate more on this with specific examples in my long post once back.

Meanwhile, hope to finish my almost two weeks stay here in style tomorrow watching a Queiroz masterclass in Moscow fan fest near Luzhinsky as we park triple bus and beat Spain off a last minute own goal after having 7% possession all game
Thanks for posting this, I hope many had your experience. Good luck tomorrow.